Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 08-13-2007, 05:17 AM   #1  
Meg

Default Maintainers Chat - Week of August 13 - 19

Good morning! I brewed a pot of coffee big enough for all of us, so grab your mug and tell us what's going on in your world (there's tea on the counter and a pitcher of water with lemon in the frig if you're not a coffee drinker )

I'm going through major withdrawal this morning because DH has to take my car to work and that means I can't go to the gym. I can't believe how much that bothers me!! Sure, there's stuff I can do at home but nothing like the elliptical. Someday I'll break down and buy one for home, but I'm spoiled by the Precors at the gym and would want one of those. And those babies are $$$.

So my energies are going to get channeled into bathroom and kitchen cleaning. I have an ant problem this summer that won't go away. I'm going to empty out my cabinets and wash them all out, but I don't like to spray toxic chemicals around food. Does anyone have any ant remedies?

And even though it's August, I'm in the mood for pumpkin. I came up with a recipe for a SF pumpkin custard that tastes like the inside of pie and will bake up a batch of that. Plus roast some green beans and steam some brown rice and I should be in good shape for the week's eating.

Ennay, I'm so glad you're starting to feel better and can eat again! Your dinner last night sounded fantastic! Lily, I'm always drooling over the goodies in your garden.

Sleepy, how are you feeling today?

How's everyone else?
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 05:33 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 170/147/?135?

Height: 5ft4 (163 cm)

I just posted in the old thread while Meg put the new one online. I'd like some thanks Meg! Oh well, wellcome in the new week, and a report of my move this weekend can be found in the old thread.
Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 05:50 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Morning!
Moving certainly is one of those life changes that interferes with life. It's hard work and I feel for you Mars.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 06:08 AM   #4  
Meg

Sorry, Marsha! It sounds like quite a workout and yes, I'm positive you burned off all those pizza calories! Now comes the unpacking ...
Old 08-13-2007, 07:59 AM   #5  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Good morning everyone.

I hope you all had a very good weekend. I had a fabulous weekend. I laughed so hard at times my stomach actually hurt. Good times with good friends. Friday's weather was LOUSY. But the rest of the weekend - ahhh. JUst stupendous weather. So much swimming. Gosh, I LOVE the pool and of course my 2 new bathing suits. I got SOOOO many compliments. It was nice. BUT - and it's a big one - way too much off plan eating. I need to have a firm talking to myself.

My oldest daughter comes back from camp on Wednesday. So I need to finish up her room. She's back for all of 13 days before she heads out to college. They'll be lots of unpacking and then lots more re-packing as she gets ready to head back to her dorm. Youngest daughter returns next Monday. The summer is almost over.........
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 09:29 AM   #6  

Height: 5'7"

I needed some new clothes so I decided to try to shop this weekend. Now I remember why I HATE it. The unsuccessful pregnancy and fallout have left me at a size 14 instead of my usual size 12, which is disheartening, but my waist continues to be about a size 8, and my freakishly long legs make most pants look like capris. This pretty much ensures that any pants off the rack will not fit right, and it is just a nightmare. 14s are way too big in the waist, 10s and 12 way too small in the butt, and my need for long/tall pants make sure there is absolutely no selection. I didn't want to spend a lot of money either since my body will be changing again soon, as I either get back to my 10/12 size, or get pregnant again and grow. I came home with one pair that isn't too awful after a nightmare afternoon of fighting off crowds in 112 degree heat (at least that is what my car said). Yes, I had an easier time shopping when I was a size 24. I can't believe you guys do this for fun, to the extent that there are no less than two clothing threads around here at any one time. I'd just as soon take a beating. Ack. And I still need pants. I guess I'll try the catalogs again.

My cold/allergy thing is almost gone, and I'm planning to get out and walk the doggies today after finishing my coffee and 3FC. Last week was a busy one at work and I'm expecting this week to be better. Might even get a swim in. Haven't been in the pool in a VERY long time and am starting to miss it. On the plus side my eating has been right on plan for the last few days.

Robin, I'm so happy to hear you had a great weekend. Marsha, moving food doesn't count--you just work too much for it. Hi SusanB. Keep those marbles together again this week. Hi Meg, sister-coffee-lady.

Anne
AnneWonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 09:34 AM   #7  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Anne -we must be twins....I detest shopping also, although last week was kind of fun BUT that is because I went to the store for oatmeal and lawn fertilizer and just happened to find pants.

RAN today!!!!
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 09:44 AM   #8  

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ennay View Post
Anne -we must be twins....I detest shopping also, although last week was kind of fun BUT that is because I went to the store for oatmeal and lawn fertilizer and just happened to find pants.
That is great to hear. Sometimes I feel like I just dropped in from another planet! Oatmeal, lawn fertilizer and pants!? Sounds like a great store. Which one? You can tell me anything, my pants that fit came from Wal-Mart, where I was buying a birthday present for a 3 year old.

Congrats on the run!

Anne
AnneWonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 09:55 AM   #9  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Good morning! I am 1.2 pounds below goal today--it's probaby dehydration because my body water % is lower than normal. I know it's not because of what I've been eating... gulp...

Moving is ****. All I really want to do is stay in bed and read the Faye Kellerman novel I checked out from the library... But no...

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 10:12 AM   #10  
Chuggin' along...

Hi everyone,

I've had my coffee so am almost human. I had trouble sleeping last night so I might need another cup this afternoon.

I had a good weekend, and not only had a good weekend but felt good about my health choices. I had really good workouts Friday & Saturday, and Sunday was my day "off" but I cleaned the whole house to get ready for company (that burns calories!), and worked a few hours at home. I kept myself busy and ate 80~90% healthy, and ate when I was hungry, and didn't eat when I wasn't hungry - this is always an accomplishment for me. I felt very balanced about the whole thing, as opposed to eating really low cal for two weeks and then going nuts overeating and undoing it all.

I tried the Fiber One peanut butter & chocolate (?I think that was the flavor) bars once and they were a little too waxy tasting for me. I like the All Bran bars better as a high fiber bar. Has anyone tried the new Curves bars and/or cereals?

Ennay, congrats on the small sizes! Glad you can eat again.

Marsha, I agree with Meg - I'm sure you burned off the pizza calories. Moving is hard work!

Anne, could you perhaps buy some inexpensive pants (like at Old Navy or WalMart) and have them tailored to fit? Stacy & Clinton on What Not to Wear always say fit the widest part, and you can get the rest tailored in. If a proper fit is that hard to find for you then even for "transition" clothes it might be worth the cost to have a few pairs of pants that fit well.

Robin, glad you had fun with your friends. Summer is almost over? Noo....(checking heat index for today)...I think someone forgot to tell mother nature.

Pat, sorry to hear about your shoulder problems.

I hope everyone has a good week.
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 10:15 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 170/147/?135?

Height: 5ft4 (163 cm)

Quote:
Marsha, moving food doesn't count--you just work too much for it.
Anne: I figured as much, imagine that all fastfood came at that price: We'd never gotten fat in the first place. (get well soon!)

Since my scale is still packed, and i have no idea which box, i don't worry too much about it and just get back to healthy foods. The damage, if any, is problably gone by the time i recover my scale.

Today i just moved boxes upstairs, no unpacking yet, it'll have to wait until we've put together the cupboards again. Did some grocery shopping; Salad, veggies and salmon for dinner tonight.

After dinner BF and i will problably move some more stuff so hopefully we can put the couch in a position that we can actually sit on it! It's new (first one that isn't some hand-me-down ) but still in plastic and on it's side till we made some room for it.

Susan: it is really nice to make a house really a 'home' by fixing it up yourself, isn't it? When you say old houses, what should i think of? Ours is an tiny sort of cottage from 1910, originally meant for the harbourlabourers (sp?).
Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 10:28 AM   #12  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Quote:
Originally Posted by wndranne View Post
That is great to hear. Sometimes I feel like I just dropped in from another planet! Oatmeal, lawn fertilizer and pants!? Sounds like a great store. Which one? You can tell me anything, my pants that fit came from Wal-Mart, where I was buying a birthday present for a 3 year old.

Congrats on the run!

Anne
Its called Fred Meyers...I think they are PNW and Alaska. I am CHEAP when it comes to clothing.

Jay - I love Faye Kellerman--which one?

Summer IS almost over...holy crap. So after missing 10 days running, I went out this morning at my normal time and it was DARK. Not dim, pitch black. I had to alter my route because part of where I was planning has no streetlights. In 10 days from light to dark. Sigh.

Mars - what is "old" depends on where you live. I grew up in PA in a town that still has a lot of revolution-era homes (late 1700's). There a house wasnt "old" unless the build date started with at least a 18XX. Preferably pre civil war.

Now I am in Oregon where there are a few houses that were built in the late 1880's and 90's - OLD is anything before 1950.

Last edited by ennay; 08-13-2007 at 10:39 AM.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 10:46 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 182/155/145

Height: 5'8"

Good Morning,

Coffee and 3FC - best start to a day.
I just received a copy of Thin for Life from Amazon. Pretty much read the whole thing. I am feeling reinspired and very hopeful after reading it.
My current habits seem to fall somewhere between the masters and the regainers.
Soooo - I just need to closely follow all the masters actions and I will get back down to goal and STAY there this time.
I say this after a BlowOut w/e. I've decided social events are my downfall and require extreme planning.
Baby steps - day 1

-S
sznn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 10:47 AM   #14  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

ennay--it's an older one. Stone Kiss.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 10:49 AM   #15  
Meg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ennay View Post
Mars - what is "old" depends on where you live. I grew up in PA in a town that still has a lot of revolution-era homes (late 1700's). There a house wasnt "old" unless the build date started with at least a 18XX. Preferably pre civil war.
Carlisle? Gettysburg? Lancaster?