Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 08-09-2007, 08:14 AM   #61  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Good morning everyone.

Susan, sounds like you've got things back in order again. Such a relief!!! Right?

Yes, it's been terribly humid and hot here. It was simply unbearable out there yesterday. Today seems lots better though.

Got lots accomplished yesterday housewise, though not enough - I DO need to learn to delegate more.

Eating and exercise was perfectly on target yesterday- even better in fact. Which is good, cause I'm going away again this weekend. Staying at good friends. The wife is a phenomenal cook and baker. Yikes. I'm doomed, aren't I? As much as I am loving this summer, being fit and healthy and active for the first time in decades, these weekends away are just killing me and I need them to stop or at least I need ME to stop overindulgiing during them.

Hello to the gang. I hope you all have a fantastic day.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 08:15 AM   #62  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

is brewing!
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 08:44 AM   #63  
Doing it for my future!!!

S/C/G: 280/278/145

Height: 5'5"

Good morning ladies

Meg - Ohhhhh, I see now. I used to work most muscle groups in the same day then take a day or two off. I like the weight training split though. I think I'll try it.

Lily - Seems like your book is coming along great! I know it'll be awesome...oh, and LOL@the snake eggs.

Megan - it's so hot in the south east and it's slowly spreading across the nation. I'll be going home to South Carolina in about a week. I'm so not looking forward to the heat!
OptimistK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 09:26 AM   #64  
Chuggin' along...

Good morning ladies,

I've finally chalked my tired-ness up to two things. We started a 'coffee pool' at work, so rather than making my own at home I've been getting my morning java fix at work, and it's a lot weaker than I make it. Plus the heat is just wiping me out. I'm just going to make my coffee a little stronger, keep hydrating all day, getting my 8 hours a night, and wait August out

Tara, were the pita chips you were eating homemade or store bought? Maybe you could make your own pita chips and not add as much salt to them. Last weekend I saw Ellie Krieger make some 'healthier' ones on Food Network. I think she just used a lot of spices and not much salt, and baked them instead of frying.

Robin, WTG being OP! Don't go into this weekend with an "I'm already doomed" attitude! Just take it one meal at a time, listen to your body, and fit exercise and activity in where you can. Perhaps you could offer to help your friend with her cooking, maybe get some input onto the menu that way. Or even call her and "ask what you can bring" to try and steer the menu to including a few lighter choices.

Hi everyone. Have a great day!
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 09:29 AM   #65  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

You guys, I just found the tastiest way to use extra zucchini . . . All of you who have loads of zucchini from your garden, check out this recipe from cooking light. It's baked zucchini chips . . . I made it last night with panko (Japanese-style breadcrumbs) and substituted 1/8 tsp paprika for the seasoned salt, and they were delicious!

Tara, the zucchini chips might be a good substitute for pita chips? I mean, you can't really dip them in anything but they are crunchy and tasty and low-cal.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 11:20 AM   #66  
Carolyn

S/C/G: 146/113/110

Height: 5.1

Default Pictures of our cruise to NYC

In early July, we took our 36' sailboat Fandango up to NY Harbor for a week. We sailed from Long Beach Island, NJ to Staten Island's Great Kill harbor on a Saturday. Then on Sunday, we went the long way around Saten Island on the Arthur Kill river because Peter was interested in seeing the 'boat graveyards'.

We docked at the Newport Yacht Club and Marina in Jersey City next to the Path train so Peter could easily get to his job in downtown Manhattan.

During the evenings, we took various friends and his bosses out for cruises on the Hudson and East rivers. Through out the trip, our cat Ashley was a great passenger.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/1106657...929400/detail/
clvquilts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 11:27 AM   #67  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

Hi everyone, I'm up earlier than I expected after staying up til 4AM writing on my book. It's hot and humid already this morning. I just came from taking my son's jeep and filling it with gas. (He took my vehicle to Ft. Leonardwood , MO for his extended weekend drill). I got in his jeep to run to town and the fuel light was on. It was so empty I was afraid that I might end up having to walk. Luckily I made it to the gas station before running out of gas. His air condition isn't working and I sure dread driving this beast for the next several days.

Lacy and Shelbey started back to school today. They were up early and all excited. It took them over 2 hrs. to get ready. The smell of perfume and hairspray eminating from their room is so strong it smells like a bordello around here. LOL.

Tonite, I'm going to see the comedians again and then to sing Karaoke with my friend. I'm looking forward to having something to do.

I stepped on the scale this morning and it was up. I think I've spent too much time sitting on my butt in this computer chair lately and not enough time exercising. I've been a little lax with my food intake, but not terribly. I'm back to logging every bite in Fitday. I think I'm having some water retention because my hands and feet have been swelling quite a bit. I don't know why I do this but it seems like I'll go a few days being lax and it won't cause a gain. I get to feeling, hmmmmmm, maybe this is OK and I won't regain. Then it bites me in the butt and I'm once again back to losing mode. I guess I should hop on over to the Oh censored thread.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 11:35 AM   #68  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Good morning maintainers!!

Lily~bunny poop happens!!! I get it all over my driveway (of all places!). When Chico and I go for our morning walk/run, he tries to chase them all over. So funny to watch him when one finds it's way into our back yard. He has a doggy door to go out, but he's so excited he can't figure out how to get out!

I've had my coffee, my walk/run, and here I am at work thinking about my plan for the day. Guess I need to get working on that!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 12:08 PM   #69  

Carolyn~your trip photos are great!! Cute bikini! And your kitty seems at home on board the boat.
Old 08-09-2007, 12:42 PM   #70  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Jessica - I've made those zucchini chips before --yum!

I think my metabolism is officially slowed. I forced down only about 400 calories yesterday and about 300 the day before and today I am not feeling as starving as I was, so my body must be shutting down. This is killing me!!!! I cant afford to lose my muscle right now.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 12:49 PM   #71  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

Allison, LOL, I do have lots of rabbits in my yard, but I never imagined that's what bunny poop looked like. LOL at your Chico. Molly and Lucy go nuts too when they see a bunny. Unfortunately, Lucy hasn't gotten smart enough yet to not chase a skunk if she gets the chance.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 01:50 PM   #72  
Carolyn

S/C/G: 146/113/110

Height: 5.1

Yesterday, I came back home from being up at DH's apartment from Weds-Friday then at the beach for very late Friday night to Sunday night then back up to his apartment for Sunday to Wednesday day.

His Internet connection was lousey so I was only able to read a few posts before lossing connection.

I went up on Wednesday so we could go on a cruise around NY and hear a blues band, but DH and I mixed up our meet up place and we missed the boat. We were both very mad at each other thinking it was the other one's fault and we came very, very close to having our first fight in 17 years. Usually, we know when the other one is upset or angry and we give each other the space to cool off. I think the heat and humidity of the city affected our bad moods.

Thursday, I picked him up at the Hoboken Path train station and we went back to his apartment which is the bottom level of a 3 story house. The 3 girls who live upstairs invited us up for hot dogs and hamburgers out on the back deck. I haven't had a dog in over a year and boy did the charcoal grilling make it taste good. We brought our cat Ashley with us on her harness and leash and she was a good little party goer. Then Friday, we drove down to the beach.

Saturday, I had a Hobie Wave race against two other Waves and came in 2nd. The guy who came in first teased me because he said I was 'talking thrash' to him by preposily calling out wrong race rules thinking he wouldn't know the correct ones. For instance, I yelled out that I had the right of way when he really did and that he made a 'fatal' error by tacking (turning) too soon when it was me who tacked too soon and missed the wind on the good side of the race course.

We had a 'Lamaze' (SP?) start off the beach, then we raced about 1/2 mile to an island with one house on it. We had to touch the dock and then race back to the beach. I stayed in the channel with the deeper water and faster current trying to gain back speed while he tacked through the little marsh islands and dragged his rudders over the shallow bay bottom.

It was harder to touch the dock than I thought it would be. I had planned to do a 'fly by' and just reach out and touch it, but I didn't get close enough. So I jumped overboard and pulled the Wave backwards. The water was waist deep, the bottom was mucky and slippery (good thing I had my aquashoes on or I would have been totally grossed out by the feel of the mud), and one of my rudders got stuck in the mud. So it took me much too long to pull the boat over so I could touch the dock. If I had let the boat go, it would have sailed off without me and I wouldn't have been able to catch up with it. After the race, we had a hot dog and hamburger cookout on the bay beach.

Then DH, MIL, and our 5-year-old neice went up to the ocean beach - first time this season for DH. It was high tide and the water was really rough. I got flipped upside down and pounded head first in the sand twice within a minute. I got seawater up in my sineses and it took days to clear out. We were only at the beach a half hour when a huge thunderstorm rolled in. We went back to MIL's house to wait it out on the porch. Some of the lightening bolts were right down her block.

Later, we changed into our 'Class A' dress clothes for a cocktail party at our yacht club. Class A means the guys have to wear a jacket and tie even though it was over 90 degrees. I wore my 'butterfly' dress that I had bought 3 years ago for my 25 high school reunion. It's a size 6 so it floated on me a bit but I thought it was ok since it's made of shear fabric with a silk under slip. But I got a lot of comments that I'm getting too skinny - even though I've been at the same size and weight for months now. We were able to dance a few swings.

Sunday, DH took the Hobie out since the wind was strong. I took it out after him with my friend Marsha and after the sail with her took it back out again because the wind had lessened a bit. This season, I'm more timid with the boat in higher wind because I just don't think I can right it by myself if I capsize it. With two people, it would be no problem.

My group Fiber Revolution had our opening reception for our exhibition on Sunday night. We had a great turn out and a number of the smaller pieces were sold. DH took pictures and I'll post the link once they're up on the Net. Again, we brought our cat Ashley with us on her harness and leash because I didn't want to have her in the car for a few hours in the heat. She was the talk of the exhibit about how well behaved she's on a leash. You'd think she was part dog. The only thing is it's hard to get her to go where you want to go, it's better to have her lead you where she wants. As the expression goes, 'you can't herd cats'.

Monday, I finally braved the NY subway system by myself and took the 1 train up from 23rd street to 79th street so that I could go to the American Museum of Natural History. It turned out to be really easy. I'm still a little leary of taking the other lines because they seem more complicated. The museum is having a special exhibition on live frogs and I LOVE frogs - don't know why, just do. There were frogs as big as 8" in diameter down to the size of my pinky finger nail. I'm fascinated by poison dart frogs and they had many species I hadn't seen before. I'm really glad I went and got over my fear of taking the subway alone.

Then I took the 1 from 79th all the way down to Chambers street which is a few blocks north of the world trade center. DH and I met on a street corner and walked back to the WTC Path and took it to the Hoboken/Pavonia station. We had a great Chinese dinner and then went to the mall to see The Bourne Ultimatum movie. It was certainly action packed and had a decent story line.

Tuesday evening, I met DH in NYC and we had our first private lesson in West Coast swing. We learned a few more turns and got a tune up on our hands, feet, and body possitions. After having dinner at a pub where I had the Shepard's pie, we went to a West Coast swing party. This one has really good dancers at it and it's fun to be lead into new moves. Sometimes I get dizzy from all the spins.

Wednesday, I drove the 2 hours back down to our house, went food shopping, and got caught up on the shows I Tevoed. I love watching So You Think You Can Dance and have gotten hooked on the reruns of Jericho. Last night, I went to our 'local' dance studio (30 minutes drive) for the West Coast swing dance party. There were some new faces which was good because I'm usued to the styles of most of the guys that dance there. No matter what type of song is playing - slow, fast, pop, blues, funk - they each dance their own personal style and patterns. It becomes very predictable. So I just danced one dance with each guy and called it a night.

And that catches me up till today. Like Lily, I've got to get the bills paid. Plus I need to repair a Hobie Cat jib - the front sail - for our friend. That means dragging out the heavy duty sewing machine.
clvquilts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 03:39 PM   #73  
Working My Way Back Down

Morning all. I've had two and am feeling good. After two days of hot weather (honestly!) we had a massive thunder storm last night about 7. I was at a friend's house for dinner, and you literally could not see across the street. It lasted about 90 minutes with lots of strikes very close by - scary. Certainly made a mess of my flower garden - more horizontal delphiniums! And I had hung sheets and towels on the clothesline yesterday morning - they're well rinsed, and still there, hopefully to dry today (it was showering when I left for work, but has stopped now).

Lisa - I just love reading what your little baby ticker has to say! Are you still on to deliver early?

Ennay - hope you're feeling better. Are your little ones still healthy?

Lily - can't believe your girls have started school already (or how long it took them to get ready!). Our schools start 8/20, and until last year, they didn't start til after Labor Day. Used to be that August was the quietest month in the library, now we'll have the darling middle schoolers after school 2 weeks earlier!

Saw the orthopedic doc this morning, and he's pleased with the progress on my knee. Cut my PT visits to 1 every 3 weeks, mostly for progress evaluation, and I see him again in 6 weeks. Meanwhile, I've got to continue my exercises at home or at the gym, of course. I feel like I'm about 85% improved. Still can only squat very shallowly, and stairs still are an issue. What a long process..... Plus I pulled something in my shoulder last night trying to reach to shut a window over a table (after I did that, I got a step stool, which is what I should have done in the first place ) The doc didn't have time to look at it (it's very sore and hurts to move it more than shoulder high) but said "give it a week" and make an appt if it's not better. Grrrr.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 03:59 PM   #74  

Pat~in the days before my Mom got a clothes dryer and she'd hang the sheets out to dry, she'd hope for an afternoon shower. She said it made the sheets so much softer and made them smell so much fresher.
Old 08-09-2007, 04:41 PM   #75  

S/C/G: 233/198/133

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg View Post
I'm just starting The Beck Diet Solution - have any of you read it? It's not a diet book; rather, it uses principles of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (I think that's it) to convince yourself to think like a thin person. At least that's what I took from the first chapter! I think like a formerly fat person and I'm not sure I could ever think like a thin person. I'll read on and see what it's about.
I've just started to read it too. I guess I was intrigued because I have being 'doing' Cognitive Behaviour Therapy with a psychologist for the past year or so for my depression.

When I started a bit over a year ago I was VERY sceptical that I would be able to change the way I think but I agreed to give it a serious go for a while - well, I'm still with it and it's been over a year. It has helped with my mood tremendously.

From what I have read so far the techniques are very much the same. I am going to my psychologist on Tuesday and I’m bringing it with me to get her opinion. I think I am going to try and follow the book.
settie is offline   Reply With Quote