Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 07-31-2007, 08:37 PM   #31  
Meg

Hi Kim and welcome! We're delighted to have you de-lurk with us! Please stick around -- we'd love to have you and anyone join us, no matter where you are in your weight loss journey. Congratulations on the 16 pounds gone!!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 04:11 AM   #32  

Hi maintainers,

SusanB - I have the same thing!! It is much easier for me NOT to eat untill 3 or 4 in the afternoon, but then to keep at it till I go to sleep. My problem is that I love certain foods...and if they are around I'll eat them. unfortunately, they include stuff like fresh fruits, and I cannot NOT buy them because they are very much a staple for DD. I also love salad, but while DD munches iceberg salad straight, I put dressing on my salad, and I find it difficult to wean me off it.

Meg - I can relate to the getting sick from the inappropriate food, but unfortunately I can still get accustomed to eating it, even if I know I will feel sick later, and I get cravings for it. Go figure.

I guess the best thing for now for me is to get the trigger foods out of the house, and wait for the cravings to go away. And a scary story I read...apparently the stomach fat cells give a signal hormone that tells the brain that you are not full...so it is like a loaded game...if you gain, the excess fat makes gaining much easier than loosing. One more reason to nip it in the bud.

Hi Pat, good for you on the 3 pd loss!! Are you still in for the 13 pds by januari 1st, 2008 ?? I moved in the wrong direction, so now i 'll have the holiday pounds to get off as well.

Have a great day all,
rabbit
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 10:47 AM   #33  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

Hi everyone,

On Saturday our water company notified me that we have a water leak. I checked every faucet, tub, sink, water heaters, commodes inside and all outside faucets. I found no leak. DH and DS are away at work for the week. Then it rained all day Sunday and Monday and it would not have been possible to see if there was an outside leak cause everything was wet. I had my neighbors DH yesterday to move the motorcycles so I could get the mower out and mow. In my front yard there is a water faucet and I noticed the grass was higher near it than anywhere else. I accidentally bumped the little concrete wall that was around that faucet and suddenly I had a geyser of water spraying into the air. I found my leak. UH_OH. I tried to figure out how to shut the water off to the whole house and couldn't get it off. So, I called the water company and had them come shut it off for me. Me and the neighbors DH dug a big hole around the faucet and there it was about 3 foot deep a busted pipe. He helped me to fix it temporarily by capping it off.

The only good news is that even though the water company told me my water bill this next month is gonna be "outrageous" , I found out that there is a town meeting next Monday and that I have been put on the Agenda to have my bill adjusted since it was from a leak and not water usage. They said the leak would have "filled a swimming pool several times". They explained that the intial leak was all going underground and that is why I couldn't find it. But, once I nudged that faucet with the mower it completely broke free and started shooting up out of the ground. So breaking it helped me fix it. LOL. (I'm really happy that I don't owe the whole $213.00 water bill). My bill is normally $30.00.

LOL, I didn't even get stressed that when all this happened that DH wasn't here to fix it. Cause lately everytime he tries to fix something he makes it worse.

Last edited by lilybelle; 08-01-2007 at 11:03 AM.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 10:59 AM   #34  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Yikes! DD got a case of the munchies yesterday. This morning I opened the pantry to grab a 100 calorie pack of pretzels for my afternoon snack and POW! There it was--an OPEN bag of Chex mix (can you say trigger?). Well, I know it needs to be closed up with a chip clip to keep the ants and humidity out and before I knew it, not one but TWO handfuls had made their way into my mouth.....now, how to count those calories!

Welcome Kim!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 01:51 PM   #35  
Working My Way Back Down

Allison, I just hate it when foods jump into your hands/mouth!! Count it and move on...

Lily - wow, that's a lot of water! Glad you found it and got it fixed, and on being glad your DH didn't have a hand in it. We're on a well, so we don't get a water bill, but a leak would definitely make our pump run more and put up our electric bill.

Rabbit - still on the 13 lbs by the end of the year. I'll go to a WW weigh-in tonight and see how I'm doing. I've probably been OP about 90% of the time, so I'm hoping. Our scale at home can vary more than 10#, so I never trust it. In fact, I seldom step on it.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 05:04 PM   #36  

S/C/G: Starting over

Height: 5'7"

I'm on a well too. I really wish we had city water. Everything is stained with that super heavy iron red that comes from well water. But yikes on the big water bill!

Got a super compliment today my neighbor called me "skinny and amazing" as she drove by me on my morning jog. It inspired me to get in a good ubwo. I have been lifting a bit but not enough lately and I am bound and determined to gain some muscle and loose more fat so here I go. Still can't haul myself up to the pull up bar but its getting easier to hold myself there. This is a good thing.

This weekend we will go to tahoe. DH has business there and I get to come for fun. Will spend alot of time at the lake thinking about how much thinner I am this year than last. It makes such a big difference when you are more scantily dressed KWIM?
hikerchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 05:14 PM   #37  

Hiker~have a great time in Tahoe! I'm sure it's cooler up there than it is down here in the California desert. And that was a great compliment your neighbor gave you! WTG!
Old 08-01-2007, 07:58 PM   #38  
Doing it for my future!!!

S/C/G: 280/278/145

Height: 5'5"

Thanks Meg and Allison for welcoming me!!!

Allison, I agree with you and Pat, munchies get cha everytime.

Lily, some leak that was! Glad you fixed it, though.

The lingo here still confuses me...hopefully I'll catch on soon.
OptimistK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 10:40 PM   #39  

S/C/G: Starting over

Height: 5'7"

Oh yeah, hi Kim

I am new around these parts myself. You'll get the lingo soon but you can always ask.

I too am a recovering munchaholic. I get my fix with popcorn these days.

Yes cooler than the desert and here too, Allison. Today was the first day where the heat really got to me. It must have been way over 100.
hikerchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 07:22 AM   #40  

Good morning all-I am up early to beat the heat. It was 96 yesterday, cool to you desert dwellers but plenty hot for me. My eating has stunk. It's all over the place, one meal only corn on the cob, the next a doughnut (bad dh). I hope you all have a good (and cool) day.
joyofsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 11:23 AM   #41  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

Hi ladies, I spent a leisurely day at the pool yesterday with my DD. It was Hot but the water was great. Today we are supposed to reach over 100 degrees for the first time this summer. I'm staying indoors and doing housework today. But, tonite we're going to the grandopening of the new Hooters (about 15 miles away). I don't know what food they have so don't know what I will eat. DH and DS are home and want to go there. Go figure.

Tomorrow me, DD and SD will be shopping all day for them some new school clothes. School starts back this next Thursday. It seems like this summer just flew by. I hope I can find myself some new shirts while we are shopping.

I'm doing OK with eating. Staying in the 1500-1600 calorie range and maintaining at 144-145, so right where my goal is at. I think I'd still eventually like to get to 140, but I just don't expel enough effort to get there. My clothes all fit just fine (for now) so I'm content enough.

DH and his XW worked out a custody and child support agreement on Shelbey that was amicable so that stress is now off. We had to call his attorney and have his divorce papers amended and now we have custody, his paying support is stopped and he will receive a small amt. of support. I'm OK with their agreement, First and foremost I want Shelbey here where she is safe and is happy. He could have pressed for more money based on XW's W-2 but it would have been a long drawn out battle and not something any of us wanted to endure. I actually would have been OK as long as we didn't still have to pay her $650.00 per month. BTW, Shelbey has lived with us since the end of May, and her mom has kept DH's support payments coming automatically deducted from his check, and not given a penny of it to Shelbey. So, I'm just thankful to get this whole matter resolved. DH said he felt really bad about everything with the XW because it was apparent that his XW didn't want Shelbey with her, she was just afraid she'd end up owing him alot of money and it felt like he was making an agreement to "purchase" his daughter. Very sad.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 11:23 AM   #42  

Good morning. I got up early and got in some exercise and then made a big batch of protein pancakes to sustain me for several days' worth of breakfasts. My weight is still at 145.5 but I'm confident it will go down!

Have a great day!
Old 08-02-2007, 12:03 PM   #43  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Hi everyone! You guys were right, the paint job doesn't look as bad today now that we've got the blinds back in and some furniture in there. It's still a bit sketchy but hopefully we can get it covered up enough to be only sort of noticeable.

Eating and exercise have been good this week so far so I'm hoping for a loss at my weigh-in tomorrow morning despite last weekend's disaster. I am so sick of being 133. I just want to get back to my comfort zone. But my gym scale is showing me down some even if my home scale isn't, so that's comforting.

Kim, just let us know if you have any questions about the 3FC lingo!

Lisa, 96 may be cool to desert dwellers, but don't forget that it's not humid in the desert. 96 in Indiana feels like 115 in the desert.

Lily, LOL about Hooters! I've never been there but I bet they have menus online. Have you tried googling them? I'm glad your DH and his XW got everything worked out, but you are right, it is sad that she seems to care so little about her daughter. Luckily she has you and your DH to look out for her!

Our fridge is getting empty sooner than I'd anticipated. Tonight's dinner will be corn, broccoli, and green beans, since that's pretty much all we have. I do have some frozen chicken and ground beef so I am thinking tomorrow will either be pasta with meat sauce, or pasta with chicken sauce. We go through so much pasta in our house it's really scary considering we are only two people. Between the two of us, we (well, mostly my fiance) can devour an entire 16-oz box of pasta in one meal. Last night I cooked with ww pasta though. Our local grocery has really good ww pasta, which tastes much more like "normal" pasta than any name brand I've found. However, they only have it occasionally, and then they only have spaghetti and rotini. Not bad though, since spaghetti is one of my favorites. OTOH the ww spaghetti is much more expensive ($1.60/lb instead of $0.60/lb). We can afford it, but the huge cheapo bag of Valu Time spaghetti sure is tempting.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 12:36 PM   #44  

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperclippy View Post

Lisa, 96 may be cool to desert dwellers, but don't forget that it's not humid in the desert. 96 in Indiana feels like 115 in the desert.
I wish it weren't humid here in the desert! We've been suffering from the monsoon season for two weeks now. The temperatures are a little lower due to the clouds keeping the sunlight down (temps 98-106 rather than 110-120) but the humidity is 40-50%. Granted it's still fairly low humidity compared to some places, though!

I don't know what it is about painting.....when I do it myself I see every little flaw and it bugs me forever! When someone else does it, there may be flaws, but they don't bother me! Weird, huh? Its the same with anything I make. I like to make bracelets but I rarely wear my own--I give them away to friends and family and buy my own bracelets to wear. I'm my own worst critic!
Old 08-02-2007, 01:30 PM   #45  
Carolyn

S/C/G: 146/113/110

Height: 5.1

In the 6 days since I last posted we've welcomed at least 4 new people. That's great!

Friday night with my car packed solid with artwork, I drove from our South Jersey house to the beach. DH didn't make it down until 11 pm from his North Jersey apartment. Saturday started off hot with little wind so I put my two piece bathing suit on and walked the 2 blocks from our sailboat that we live on during the weekend up to my MIL's house. DH's S & BIL were visiting and I figured it be cooler if we'd go the extra block up to the beach.

Instead, SIL wanted to take our 5-year-old niece (not her DD) to the water park. In the 17 years I've been coming to Long Beach Island, I've never gone. So I went with them and had an absolute blast. Jillian was at the perfect age to enjoy it for the first time. She didn't have to be encouraged very much to go down the slides. There were a lot of other things the kids could do to make water showers go on and off around the park. It was also very accommodating for any adults who didn't want to get wet. I jumped right in and did the slides.

Later, after lunch, I took my 13 foot Hobie catamaran out for a sail to watch DH race on his friend's 18 foot Hobie cat. The wind was moderate when I started, but it built up to a nice breeze so that I could go fast. I just love skimming along the water, hiking out to balance out the boat. It feels like you are flying.

We then took SIL, BIL, and our niece our for a pizza dinner cruise down the bay on our 36' sailboat. I was as 'good' as I could be and limited myself to 3 slices of pie instead of my usual 4. We only motored because we had to get back in time to change for the club's dance.

It was a great band and we danced several West Coast Swings, East Coast Swings, a Rumba, a Cha Cha, and a Foxtrot. I wore my new dress with the tulle under it to make it flair out when I twirled. I got a lot of compliments on it, but one guy told me I can't lose another ounce.

I've been thinking about his comment this week and it might be because my friend Pat who was a club member died a few years ago from complications of anorexia. She'd gotten down to the 80's and was a few inches taller then me. She had been in recovery for a while and had gone to a famous clinic in NYC. She was beginning to gain the weight back when her heart gave out.

Anorexia often starts out as an issue of control. For Pat, she had gone through a bad marriage and divorce and was going to school so that she could have a job to support her 13-year-old son. She felt her life was out of control and the only thing she could control was what she ate.

Intellectually, I understand this point of view, but physiologically, I know I could never do it, because when I’m hungry, I have to eat. There’s no stopping me. In college, I had a roommate who became anorexia. It was very hard to watch her waste away. We would get into fights over it. Nothing I said was right. Once I found her passed out on the floor because she hadn’t eaten in days. That was 25 years ago. I know she’s ok because I can google her name and her picture and information of the research program she runs as a doctor comes up.

So I understand people’s concern that I might get too skinny. I’ve been holding steady at 5 pounds below my goal weight for 2.5 months now and have not seen the scale dip lower. I’ve have slacked back on the exercise and only am active on the weekends and when I go dancing.

Sunday, DH went home to work on some projects but I stayed on the boat because I needed to go up to the other side of the island on Tuesday to hang all the artwork in the car. LBI is divided in half by the causeway. Depending on what side your beach house is, you rarely drive to the other side. There’s only one main road on the 16 mile island and it has lots of traffic lights and summer vacationers on it.

We had a big thunderstorm come through in the afternoon while I was reading a novel. I decided to get off the 57 foot high metal mast lightening rod on a sailboat and go up to my MIL’s beach house. My 5-year-old niece asked me to read out loud my book and I ended up reading 40 pages to her. We had quite the book discussion about it. It was one of Lisa See’s early books called The Interior about multiple murder mysteries. So Jillian and I talked a lot about death and heaven and good guys and bad guys. I was reading this book because I had just finished her Snow Flower and the Secret Fan that was terrific. I really liked how she wrote it. She’s really improved her character development and story skills since the early book.

That night after dinner at MIL’s, Jillian came back to the boat for her first sleep over. She’d been looking forward to it for a year now. Fortunately, she didn’t get over excited and was able to get to sleep right at bedtime. I went to bed very early for me and was wide awake at 6 in the morning. I accidentally woke her up getting out of the Vbunk where we were both sleeping. It’s the berth (bed) in the bow of the boat and shaped like a V. Since we were up so early and Nana wasn’t coming till 8:30 to take her to school, we decided to go to the 24 hour diner for pancakes. I had way to much syrup on mine and didn’t feel 100% the rest of the day.

On Monday afternoon, I had plans to take my friend Marie out on the Hobie Wave, but the wind didn’t cooperate. Usually it’s pretty dead in the morning and then picks up after lunch. But there wasn’t a breath of air. So we hung out in the cockpit of Fandango and got caught up.

Tuesday morning I got up and drove north to the LBI Foundation of Arts and Sciences to hang my art group Fiber Revolution’s show. You can see our artwork on our site at www.FiberRevolution.com We’ve been exhibiting for four years now and usually have about 10 shows a year. We came together on the Internet and have members in MA, CT, NY, NJ, PA, DE, and now AZ since one member moved. We’ve found it’s much easier to market our artwork as a group than individually.

The show will run for 3 weeks and is hung in converted airplane hanger. It’s very light and airy. 3 of my Techno Jam quilts are hung suspended from the rafters. After the reception on Sunday night, I will send photos to the member who posts them on our web site so you can see what I’m talking about.

My F.R. friends Cindy, Kevan (a woman) and Debbie helped me hang the show and then went we went to Debbie’s beach house for a pasta primavera dinner. Her mother made chocolate chip cookies and my mind talked me into trying one. I wish I had resisted because my medicine made it taste bad and the sugar in it actually stung my mouth! I felt bad about eating only one bite since she had made the cookies from scratch, so I ate the whole thing which worsened the problem in my mouth.

Tuesday night I headed back to our house for an overnight to go through the mail, mow the lawn, and pick up our cat. Wednesday afternoon, I drove up to our North Jersey apartment so that I could meet DH in NYC. We had tickets to go on a cruise of NY Harbor and hear a band. DH told me to take the Path train to the 33rd street station and meet him at the Victoria Secret’s by Herald Square. I went to the one on 34th and Herald Square and he went to the one on 32nd and Greely Square. Both were on 6th Avenue two blocks apart. I waited an extra 15 minutes before calling him. When he came up to met me, he yelled at me for not calling sooner. That’s something he never does. I was so mad he yelled at me. We almost had our first fight in 17 years. We tried to get to the boat but it was too late.

We ended up taking the Path back to Hoboken and walking around till we found the Asian Fusion restaurant again. I had vegetable tempura and a mango salmon roll and he had battered chicken with a lemon-pineapple sauce. Delicious. But we hardly talked.

On the walk back to the apartment, we stopped at the local A&P so I could get my staple Dannon Plain Yogurt, oranges, and two bags of salad. I’ve gotten like Tara this summer where I eat the same thing for lunch and sometimes for dinner when I’m alone. Yogurt and salad is all I seem to want to eat. Sometimes tuna fish.

Today, I’m just catching up on email and reading a week’s worth of Maintainers’ posts. Boy has everyone been busy.

Tomorrow, I’m planning on going into the city and navigating the subway system so I can get to the American Museum of Natural History. They have a special exhibition on frogs including my favorite Poison Dart frogs. When we were in Costa Rica, I actually got to hold one teeny, tiny red and black one in the wild. Had to wash my hands right after so I wouldn’t be poisoned.

Friday night, DH, our cat, and I will head down to the beach together for once. After the reception on Sunday night, we’ll come back to the apartment and I’ll stay up here because we have a private dance lesson on Tuesday night.

Okay, I’m all caught up since my last post. Sorry to be so long winded.

Last edited by clvquilts; 08-02-2007 at 01:37 PM.
clvquilts is offline   Reply With Quote