Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 07-25-2007, 07:18 PM   #46  
Maintainer

S/C/G: 216/116/125 100 Lbs Lost!

Height: 5' 1" Tall

Oops...forgot to tell you how my weekend and or week is going.

Had a great weekend. Ate very well. Worked out all weekend. Had a fattening Sunday dinner at mom's (as always), but ate very tiny bits of everything and stayed WELL within all of my ranges. Even saturated fat! Having a GREAT week. My food is awesome, my exercise is going great and I have even added jumping rope to my routine. Love it, but I'm not a school girl anymore, I need practice. My weight has stayed at 121 since coming back from Vacation. I do have occasional water weight gain, but I have been taking a water pill at night when I feel really bloated, by morning it's gone.

Well with that in mind, I'm off to work out. Hope you are all having a great week.

Last edited by Libby1972; 07-25-2007 at 07:20 PM. Reason: Cuz I can...
Libby1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 06:21 AM   #47  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Good morning!

Last night I grilled green beans .. with garlic, yummy!

Other than that, I just wanted to say good morning and have a good day everyone.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 07:40 AM   #48  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Good morning everyone.

Libby, you are doing so very well. I'm so happy for you. I love your new avatar and that new sassy looking haircut.

Susan -roasted green beans and garlic, my second favorite thing after - cauliflower. Although it's definitely giving cauliflower a run for it's money lately.

Ennay -Your fruit story made me laugh. Have fun with mom and yes, of course - Good luck.

Glory, your lunch does sound pretty darn good. I have been allowing myself more and more snippets of food. I know just even having that one first bite is a big mistake. I must work on that. Good luck with todays temptations.

Allison, I too have been eating waaay too much fruit this summer. Those cherries and berries have just been so good. It's defintely making me more bloated. I almost can't wait til the summer is over so I don't have to deal with all the yummy seasonal fruits. Veggies are way safer for me.

Megan, wow - 4 months without internet is a LONG time. I can't even imagine that. You'll be out of those 150's in no time at all. It sounds like you're ready for it. Good luck.

Hello to the rest of the gang.

Well my day at the pool club was really, really nice. I felt sooo normal sitting there with all my friends and the whole rest of the world. It's just incredible how in the past the summer was a nightmare for me because of my weight. Not that the other seasons were any great shakes either, but you know what I mean, I'm sure. Got myself in that pool and was sad to find out that I no longer knew how to swim. Oh well. I still enjoyed myself immensely. My DH is a big swimmer, I need to go with him and let him give me some pointers. If not, I think I just may take some lessons.

We are going away again this weekend. Same place as last weekend. My friends summer home. Which means another food fest. Ooish. The summer is HARD. So much socializing. I'll be very, very happy if when Labor Day rolls around I've been able to stay in the low 130's.

I'm off to do some food shopping. Green beans is forefront on my mind.

Have a great day everyone.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 07:58 AM   #49  
Meg

Robin, I had to laugh when you said you had forgotten how to swim. The same thing happened to me after I lost all my weight. No body fat = no buoyancy. I jumped in the pool (proudly wearing my new tankini) and sank like a stone to the bottom! I couldn't swim or float or anything! Had to learn all over again.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 08:44 AM   #50  
Chuggin' along...

Good morning everyone,

Exercise & eating went very well yesterday. I ever ran a few miles at the gym and have the "good sore" twinge in my legs.

I tried to make a new snack of Roasted Chickpeas (chickpeas, garlic pdr, crushed red pepper flakes) that is a Weight Watchers recipe. I only tried 2 chickpeas just to have a taste when I was done, but packed some for a snack this afternoon. They're yummy, and have fiber and protein! I'm just not sure how to store them...of course they're perishable, but they don't seem like they would go in the fridge and the baking takes a lot of the water out...I guess I'll just have to see if they keep in the cabinet for a few days.

Robin, glad you had a good pool experience! I'm sure you'll be swimming like a fish in no time.

Libby, way to control your portions at your mom's. Congrats on a good week.

ennay, well, what can we do with our moms? Of course you know what's best for your body. I always just smile, change the subject, and keep doing my thing when my parents comment on my lifestyle.

Glory, today is a new day, and a fresh start.

Robin, Allison, I LOVE the summer berries, cherries, mmm! I don't think I've ever noticed that they bloat me, but I do try to measure out 1-cup servings and not eat the whole package. It's great when they're in the stores because if I have a few berries after dinner, it's enough of something sweet (that I love) that I don't feel like I need a "real" dessert.

I hope everyone has a good day.
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 10:15 AM   #51  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

Hi everyone,

Libby thanks so much for the comforting words. I am very proud of my son, but scared at the same time. I pray for his safe return home. I also know of local soldiers here that have been sent over there more than once and made it home safely. I pray that Shane will have the opportunity to write and call home as much as possible.

Robin, I'm glad you had fun swimming and felt "normal". That's how I feel. It just feels "normal" for me to enjoy getting to swim alot again. It's something I've always loved and had quit doing because of my weight. But, not anymore. When you posted about forgetting how to swim, I had to laugh. I thought I must be crazy when I jumped in the water at my low weight and couldn't remember what to do. Like MEG said, I was sinking. LOL. I had to mentally tell myself, now move your arms and legs. My body didn't just naturally float like it used to do. It now takes effort to stay up. LOL. I'm finding that I am swimming laps so much that I come home with sore arms and shoulders. Tuesday at the pool, I dived backward off the diving board. LOL, first time I've done that in many, many, yrs. My SD and DS were doing it and I wanted to show that I could do it too. It felt so good that I did it several times. My DS was doing flips off the board, I didn't try that as I was afraid I couldn't get enough heighth in my jump.

Megan, it looks like you are doing great at getting back on plan. WTG.

SusanB, I put a little chopped onion, garlic and olive oil in my fresh green beans and stir fry them. Very, very yummy. We eat them almost every day. I picked a bunch more last night that I will be cooking today.

I've been getting lots of exercise. Both walking and swimming. My wt. is where it should be and I'm very happy. I'm using my Fitday religiously and it's just amazing that when I don't "cheat", I don't have a problem with losing or gaining. LOL, who'd have thunk it.

Does this ever happen to any of you maintainers. Last night while walking, I had an acquaintance pull up to me and said "Lily, you are wasting completely away". Now I've been this same wt. or a few lbs. higher for over a yr, but I still have people think I'm getting smaller. It's almost like I have to justify myself and say, "no, I'm not losing more wt". I think sometimes people automatically think if you're still exercising that you are trying to lose more wt. Quite the opposite, I'm still exercising to keep this wt. off that I already lost.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 10:43 AM   #52  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Lily~yes, I have had those comments made to me, too (and to make it weirder, it was AFTER I had gained back a few pounds!).

Robin & Meg~you make me laugh! Who'd a thunk that you could "forget" how to swim? Isn't it like riding a bicycle? You never forget?!?! I remember a few years ago (when I had lost weight the first time) we went boating with my sister and I jumped in the lake for a swim and was amazed at how difficult it was for me to stay afloat! It sure scared me--I yelled for a preserver!!

Susan~I grilled green beans last night, too! No garlic, though--saved that for the grilled chicken breasts.

The humidity is a bit less today. I'm a little sore from exercise, but that's ok (at least I exercised!). My calories for yesterday were exactly 1300. I really thought it would be more because of the cashews I had before dinner. I've got to stay out of the nuts.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 12:52 PM   #53  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Morning all!

Maybe its just because I am an (ex?) binger, but last night when dh and I went out for a VERY rare date night...well I had pasta (still a tomato based and I have leftovers! ) and bread WITH the really good butter and salad with full fat dressing and sugared hazelnuts and split dessert AND had real cream in my coffee..oh and a glass of wine.

I felt NO guilt or remorse. It was a nice dinner and I fully enjoyed every bite knowing it was all a conscious choice.

I've certainly felt much worse over 200 calories of chocolate or ice cream than over what was certainly a way over day.

It really is for me all about feeling that I am in control. Plus...well, for me there is always "were those calories WORTH it".

Whoops ds is awake!
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 01:44 PM   #54  
Carolyn

S/C/G: 146/113/110

Height: 5.1

A week ago Saturday, we sailed up to NY Harbor on our sailboat Fandango, which you can see if you go to my web site at www.clvquilts.com and click on the Studio page then scroll down to the bottom. Most of the pictures of me are at my 'middle weight' on the way up to 160 lbs. I need to update that page and get pictures of our new cat Ashley on it. She did much better being at sea on this trip then she did last year. We keep her on a leash in the cockpit when we're sailing so she can't fall overboard. I then have one of the extension leashes for dogs to take her for walks along the dock.

We sailed up from Long Beach Island to Staten Island in a day. We left the dock at 6 am and for one of the rare times actually had the wind and waves from the direction we wanted them to be. We were able to fly our spinnaker (the big balloon like blue and white sail you can see in one of the pictures) for several hours. We get our highest speeds out of that sail and were able to get into Great Kills harbor by 9 pm.

The next day we took the long way around Staten Island by going up Arthur Kill river. At one point, DH was motor sailing us just outside of the channel and we hit our first rock in 15 1/2 years with Fandango. We came to a slamming halt and got stuck on top of the rock for at least five minutes before we could maneuver off of it. I went down below and pulled up all our floorboards to make sure we weren't taking on any water. We know when we haul our sailboat in the late fall, there will be a big gash in our lead keel.

The rest of the trip to the Jersey City marina was smooth. We went right by the Statue of Liberty and Elis Island.

I did well with eating during the day, but DH wanted to go out to dinner every night. Sunday was Indian, Monday was mostly cheese & crackers when we took friends out to sail around the harbor, Tuesday was Italian and Wednesday was Chinese.

Thursday night and Friday night we took out more friends for evening cruises. Some brought health snacks, but again I indulged in too much cheese and crackers. Very late on Friday we went back to the Chinese restaurant. I actually had an appetizer and dessert in addition to my dinner which I haven’t done in over a year. But I just couldn’t resist the chocolate mouse.

I loved sleeping on the boat because there was a lot of waves from the high speed ferries that rocked us pretty hard. I liked the motion (good thing since I was onboard all day and night.) DH didn't like it. It quieted down after 10 pm and didn’t start up until 6 am when he had to get up to go to work anyway.

Tuesday night, I met him in NYC and we went West Coast Swing dancing. Lots of fun. There's a mall right across from the marina so I did some shopping for shoes and picked up a pair of sunglasses for DH since he forgot to bring them. Not a good idea when you're going to be out on the glare of the ocean for 2 solid days of sailing.

On Wednesday night we stopped by DH's Jersey City apartment so I could read a half week's worth of email's regarding the magazine I edit plus get my Internet fix by logging on to 3FC. I typed most of this post in, but when I went to post it, the Internet connection was lost. So I saved it to my USB chip and have finally gotten around to publishing this post.

We had good seas for the trip back this past weekend and actually made it all the way from Jersey City to our slip in one day and still had time to go over to our friends for a hot tub. I got a good burn on my back from wearing my bikini that I’m hoping will turn into tan and not peal.

Sunday was a strong breeze and DH finally went wind surfing. After that we hung out on the boat while different friends stopped by to hang out. At 4:30 we went over to hear one of our favorite bands before going to the mandatory MIL’s Sunday night dinner. It wasn’t so bad tension wise so I didn’t over eat. She served me blueberry pie but my taste buds said no.

Since I’ve been back home alone, I’ve gotten back into my normal eating habits, only I’ve been eating more than I usually do. I was sure when I stepped on the scale this morning that I’d be way over my 110 lb goal, but I was only 106. The medicine is still working at keeping my metabolism at a high level, cause I’ve really fallen off the exercise routine and I’ve been spending too much time on the couch catching up with all the shows I tevoed last week.

Wow, this post was really long. Hope it didn’t bore you to tears.
clvquilts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 05:11 AM   #55  
Meg

Not boring at all, Carolyn! I love reading about your adventures.
Old 07-27-2007, 05:38 AM   #56  
Meg

Ennay, I totally can relate to your description of going out to dinner as being enjoyable because you were in control. It was a planned indulgence and you savored every minute of it, rightly so. I'm the same way too with planned treats -- but I'll be racked with guilt over an unplanned bowl of Fiber One.

Crazy how weight control is 99% mental, isn't it?

Lily, I think weight comments sure say a lot about the person who's saying them. We all get pigeonholed by our families and friends ("the fat chick") and they don't like it when the stereotypes get turned around. You've upset the dynamics of your relationships by losing weight and on some level, there certainly are people who would love for you (and me) to gain the weight back. Of course, we're not going to do it!

Sometimes there's a jealousy component too. I had several friends who would gripe about it being impossible to lose weight -- stuffing cookies in their mouths in the meantime! When I lost the weight. they pulled away because it meant that they COULD lose weight if they tried. And I made them feel guilty.

You're at a healthy weight for your height and I'm sure your doctors would agree that your overall health is thousands of times better than it used to be.So put your fingers in your ears and don't listen to silly remarks about your weight!

And how sad that people assume that we're weirdos for enjoying healthy eating and exercise! It happens to me too, and people tell me I'm "no fun" any more because I go to the gym everyday and eat nutritiously. Where did we, as a society, get the idea that fun means enormous quantities of unhealthy food (and drink)?
Old 07-27-2007, 06:20 AM   #57  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I was going to take part of my shake to work with me but I remember a gal saying .... "That must be good for you cuz it looks awful!" I chugged it just now instead.

Not boring Carolyn, I enjoyed it too.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 07:41 AM   #58  

Carolyn-Not boring at all, it's like a vicarious vacation.
Megan-good to 'see' you again.
Too funny about the swimming.
Lily-I had people make those comments too. Weird, they never said, hey, you're getting too heavy.

I'm still exercising at a gentle pace. I've been walking about two miles in the evening with the puppy. I sometimes wish I could pull over to the hydrant like him though. It seems all I do at this point is potty, but if I don't drink tons of water I get dizzy. Food has been ok because I can't eat much at a time. After my walk I couldn't even manage all my spinach and rice. Have a great day everyone!
joyofsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 08:41 AM   #59  
Leaning out of Lurkdom ;)

Height: 5' 7"

Quote:
Last night I grilled green beans .. with garlic, yummy!

How did you keep them from falling in between the slots?

I'm sorry, I'm in such a mood today!

Look out world!
sweetnsassyfied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 08:46 AM   #60  
Chuggin' along...

Good morning everyone,

I am staring at the homemade scones someone brought in (why is the coffee maker table next to my desk?), but I am not very tempted right now. I hope it stays that way! I'm trying to think about the sugar low I'll get if I eat one, plus the 4 days and counting of being back on losing plan that I feel so good about. I'm kind of dreading the weekend, and next week I'll be away for 3 1/2 days for a work conference, plus BF's family is coming to visit for a week and we eat with them often when they visit. But I CAN DO IT.

joyofsix, sometimes I think walking the dog is the most relaxing part of my day. You can't walk to fast, so it gives you time to look around and appreciate your neighborhood, and clear your head a bit. A lovely evening activity!

Carolyn, your trip sounds wonderful! I hope BF & I enjoy his new sailboat boat as much as you & your husband enjoy yours! You look like you enjoy sailing very much from your pictures.

Ennay and Meg, I totally hear you on the importance of feeling in control of what goes in your mouth. Food tastes so much better that way. Ennay, glad you enjoyed your special dinner.

Lily, Meg is right, ignore those comments. Hopefully they will taper off as people see you maintain your health, but I don't think people will ever realize they are being rude when they say things like this.

I've always been kind of dorky anyway (from bookworm/teacher's daughter in middle-high school to science dork in college) so I'm used to being a "weirdo" of some sort. If that means being a health & fitness dork, oh well.

Have a great day everyone.
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote