Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Closed Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 05:04 AM   #1  
Meg

Default Maintainers Chat - July 16 - 22

Happy Monday morning! I'm off to the gym for cardio and a chest workout in a few minutes. I think I'm going to try to build up my pushups (always a weak spot ). Six months after my shoulder surgery, I could do ZERO real pushups. I'm now up to 15 or so but want to get it a lot higher, just for fun. Ever since I saw a 75-year old grandma cranking out multiple sets of real pushups in my gym, I feel the need to beat her!!

Then one of the cats and I get to go to the vet's. He'll howl the whole way over and back. The rest of the day will be cleaning and wedding phone calls. DD and her fiance are picking out cakes today -- they're planning on three types for the wedding -- so I'll taste vicariously. No calories that way.

How's maintenance going for our newest Maintainers?
Old 07-16-2007, 07:04 AM   #2  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey Meg!

I'm down a pound from last Friday. I guess my body just wants to be there, because I haven't been doing anything to help! I'm trying to increase cals but keep my nutrient percentages at 30/40/30 p/c/f.

I'm going to the gym this afternoon for a nice cardio workout and some ab work. I've been trying not to go to the gym as often as I was (which was 6 days a week).

Jay
Old 07-16-2007, 07:58 AM   #3  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

And I'm up a pound. And I'm lucky it's just that. I wouldn't be suprised tomorrow if the scale reads even higher. Not the greatest of weeks (too much fruit) ended up with a HORRENDOUS Sunday. It involved lots of cake or should I just say one cake - but lots of IT, homemade oatmeal cookies, and Chicken Lo Mein. I probably hit close to 3000 calories. MY VERY worst day in over 10 months. We had camp visiting day for my DD yesterday. Sat in the car for over 10 hours. Didn't exercise AT ALL, all day yesterday. I brought along all my healthy stuff and ate it and some UNhealthy stuff everyone else brought along. Then stopped for the lo mein at the end of the day. I was soooo uncomfortable and full at this point - but ate anyway. Somehow I managed to eat only a very small portion of it - oh yeah I know, cause there was NO ROOM IN MY TUMMY FOR IT. Thank goodness my stomach has shrunk. Lord knows the damage I could have done had this not been the case. This every other week maintenance/losing thing is NOT working for me.

I've decided to change things up a bit. I am reworking my menu a little bit. The little nibbles are going to stop and I'm adding in more small meals, though staying at the same calorie level. I'm also going to change up my exercise a bit. I think things were getting a little stagnant for me. I am actually excited that I have the opportunity to have to focus on losing again this week. I know there's some strange mind games going on in my head and I need to deal with it.

Excuse me, I'm off to exercise.
Old 07-16-2007, 08:57 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Ah yes, the head games ... me too!

As for there being room in the tummy ... I always have room (sigh)

I'm working 3-11 this week so I will exercise first and take my big-bag-of-good-stuff-to-eat.
Old 07-16-2007, 09:36 AM   #5  

Height: 5'7"

Good morning everyone. I wanted to swing by and thank everyone for their supportive words and thoughts last week. I'm doing very well physically, and emotionally I'm hanging in there. We're hoping to get some answers about the cause this time (although we've been told not to expect any). Anyway, I'm back to work today, and I'm taking it all one day at a time. As before, my DD is a great comfort and we've spent a lot of time together this weekend, although I think she is quite sick of watching the Tour de France!

I'm still catching up on last week's posts. Hope everyone is doing well, and welcome to the new folks.

Anne
Old 07-16-2007, 09:42 AM   #6  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Meg, LOL about the beefy grandma!

Robin - I had a distastrous weekend too. My usual rule is that I only eat one restaurant meal per week. This weekend I had three! They weren't even worth the calories either.

I had a pretty packed weekend. Saturday we drove all the way up to Fort Wayne (about 2 hours) just to go to a lingerie store, since there are no good ones here in indy. Anyway I got a bra to wear to my wedding dress fittings, so all is well there. Also, my size has changed again. I discovered that instead of the 32E I have been wearing, I need to wear a 30FF. I have to share a funny story though. The lady who was fitting me said I shouldn't need a corset-style strapless bra because a regular strapless should be fine. I said "are you sure it will stay up? I've never had a strapless bra that stays up before," and she said "That's because you're Skinny Minnie!" My chest measurement (the one under my breasts that they use for band sizing) was 27 1/2 inches.

Sunday my fiance and I went to a meetup (through meetup.com) of a walking group. We're trying to meet new people and make some friends since we've been in Indy a year now and still have no friends other than Ben's family. Anyway, we had a lot of fun and got some good exercise in (and I advertized 3FC to someone who said she was trying to lose weight), plus we got to see a neat exhibit at the art museum that was on it's last day -- there is a guy who basically straps little tiny cameras to animals, and gets this wild footage of what the animal is looking at and doing from their perspective.

Anyway I'm hoping this week will be on-plan and have lots of exercise!

Last edited by paperclippy; 07-16-2007 at 09:47 AM.
Old 07-16-2007, 09:47 AM   #7  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Oh Jessica - my dh is from Ft Wayne, I am so sad that that is where you go for the big shopping outing.
Old 07-16-2007, 10:57 AM   #8  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

My son made it home last night from his Army training. It was so good to see him. He said it was very Hot in California. They did not let the guys shave or cut their hair that whole time of desert training. So, he was awfully shaggy looking. Of course, one of the first things he did was cut his hair and shave once he got home. LOL. He said he "had a blast" and really enjoyed the training. Go figure. I was worried he'd be all scrawny when he got home, but he actually gained 5 lbs. I guess eating MRE's 3 times a day packs a lot of calories in.

I am still struggling with getting back down to the losing range with my calories. I am maintaining 146 lbs. fairly well but feel like I have NO "wiggle room". My exercise has been very good though and I feel like all my clothes fit like they should.

My sunburn is getting better. I spent several hrs. yesterday working in my garden in this heat. I need a good recipe for home-made salsa. I've got more tomatoes and peppers than I know what to do with.
Old 07-16-2007, 11:38 AM   #9  
Token Rooster? ;)

S/C/G: 185/138/~135 to maintain

Height: 5' 6"

Hi everyone, I just hit my current goal and with 5-10 more pounds to lose for my final/maintenance goal, I'd figure I start checking out this sub-forum to help figure out what I'm gonna do when I got there!

This past weekend was a bit horrendous for me too (birthday was on Sat.) but I planned around my heavier meals and squeezed in some extra exercise.

And today a co-worker is taking me to a belated b-day lunch @ Souplantation. Good intentions, bad timing -- this month they're doing a BBQ themed event which means featuring baked beans, potato/macaroni salads, and BBQ chicken foccacia pizza! :O I hope I can get away with just a few spoonfuls of the more caloric items, but nonetheless I'm budgeting 1,000 calories for that meal and eating light breakfast & dinner.

And yes, Lily, Calif. is hot hot hot right now! I meant to go for a run yesterday but woke up too late (8am) and decided I didn't want to deal with the sun, so I swapped out Monday's exercise to do yesterday (boot camp/kickbox regimen indoors) and hopefully am able to run tonight after work. Maybe I should look into a haircut too (prolly not a cut and shave though )

Last edited by AquaWarlock; 07-16-2007 at 11:45 AM.
Old 07-16-2007, 12:01 PM   #10  
lilybelle

AquaWarlock, WTG on reaching your current goal. I'm trying to get back to low 140's.

My son was ecstatic last night to see I had just cooked home-made baked chicken, squash, green beans and salad. He ate bunches and said it tasted so good to get "real food" after eating MRE's for the past 5 weeks. LOL.
Old 07-16-2007, 12:02 PM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ennay View Post
Oh Jessica - my dh is from Ft Wayne, I am so sad that that is where you go for the big shopping outing.
I'm about an hour south of Ft. Wayne. I bet you went to Barbara's didn't you Jessica. That is where I got my last two bras. It was worth the money to find out what I should really be buying. Small world!
Old 07-16-2007, 12:08 PM   #12  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

LOL Lisa, I did go to Barbara's! I asked if they were considering opening a store in Indy, and the lady said that they had thought about it but the owner was too stressed out just taking care of the one store. While we were in town we went to the botanical garden downtown too, which was pretty neat. I forgot to put in my food log the kumquat I stole off the tree there! My fiance's aunt and uncle probably live near you somewhere, they live in Marion. It is a small world!
Old 07-16-2007, 03:01 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I'm back! It's been really busy trying to catch up at work this morning. And DD gets home from China this afternoon, so I have to blast off early to pick her up.

I am so disappointed in myself! My scale really went up on vacation. I walked miles a day, hiked to the top of Diamond Head (what a workout!) so I thought the food wouldn't be that much of an issue, but alas it was. I've really got to buckle down. Thursday is my doctor's appointment and I want to weigh at least the same as I did last year. I'll have to consult my chart tonight to see where I was, but I sure feel fatter than last year (although I think I'm pretty much the same weight).

Does this make sense? While losing, I feel skinny. When maintaining, I have a hard time feeling skinny, and once I gain a pound or two, I see it immediately (mainly in the tummy area, but this time I also see it in my hips). Does anyone else experience this?
Old 07-16-2007, 06:11 PM   #14  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

OMG I added it up and since school let out I have been to the gym TWICE. I still have running and yoga, but no wonder my arms are getting floppy.
Old 07-16-2007, 09:28 PM   #15  
lilybelle

Allison, I feel the same way. If the scale is moving down even a lb. I feel smaller than when I'm maintaining. I know what you mean about the Dr.s appt. My next appt. is Sept 5th and I want to weigh at least the same as I did on my last visit.

I got my packet today from the NWLCR. I'm going to fill it all out tomorrow. For others that have sent theirs, did you send pictures? I was gonna give the info. so my Dr. records could show how much I've lost. Is that what anyone else did?
My highest wt. at Dr. office is 237 and lowest is 147 on his scales. I think I'll send some pic's too. (LOL, they show my story best).
Closed Thread