Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Closed Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 01:20 PM   #61  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

Allison, when I was young there was 6 of us kids. My dad always told us to clean our plates. It's really a tough habit to break. Learning to take a "doggie-bag" at a restaurant was very hard for me. I'd eat it all , even when I was stuffed.

Silly me, I now know why I had such a massive water wt. gain. Last week, I broke out in my rash again and the Dr. had me double my prednisone for 7 days. I finished the double dose on Monday and I guess it took til today to release all that extra water I was carrying. Either way, it sure feels good cause I felt so much heavier through my tummy area.

We're off to the pool now and I don't even feel bloated in my swimsuit. It's gonna be a fun day.
Old 07-19-2007, 03:46 PM   #62  
Working My Way Back Down

Good morning. Gray day here, but they're promising sunshine back by the weekend.

My DH is very good about putting small portions on his plate and going back for more if he wants more - and he's skinny. Go figure. I've started using smaller plates because really it's mental. I put more food on a larger plate and get too full. If I fill a smaller plate - with a smaller portion - I'm perfectly satisfied. I have no problem with leftovers since DH is home all day and will eat them for lunch, or I take them to work for my lunch. We don't eat out much, but when we do I always ask for a doggy-bag.

Lily - glad you figured out the problem that caused that gain.
Old 07-19-2007, 04:14 PM   #63  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Thanks everyone!

I do save leftovers, and we sometimes bring home doggie bags (I actually don't have a problem leaving restaurant food on my plate?!?). We did have leftovers from dinner last night--enough sauce for another pasta dinner later, it was just that half-serving on DD's plate that I just couldn't bear to throw out. Perhaps it was because DH ate my half slice of garlic bread that I WANTED! Yeah, that's it--blame it on him!!! LOL

I always had to clean my plate growing up and I always did. My problem growing up is I always wanted things to be fair and equal, so if my big brother (8 years older) got to have seconds, I wanted them, too! I wasn't fat fat, but I was over weight all my life.

Oh, and a garbage disposal can break! Try stuffing ALL the potato peels from 10 pounds of potatoes all at once (and on Thanksgiving Day to boot)! It was a mess! Now if I have a lot, it goes in the garbage can. Otherwise the disposal does work really well.
Old 07-19-2007, 04:26 PM   #64  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

LOL Allison, I wouldn't put 10 lbs of potato peels down there but Ben doesn't even want me to put in ONE potato's worth of peels! Chicken skin? No way, it goes in the trash and stinks up the house. :P

We do eat leftovers a lot. I think somehow there is a mental difference between leftovers that are still in the serving dish, and leftovers that went onto the plate but weren't totally eaten. Like if I cooked four chicken breasts, and served us each one, I am fine with packing up the other two. It's the half-eaten chicken breast on the plate that I don't want to put back in the fridge!
Old 07-19-2007, 05:01 PM   #65  
Working My Way Back Down

Jessica! I usually only cook one chicken breast or pork chop(unless I want one for a salad, or lunch) so those leftovers are seldom a problem. But you're right, I likely wouldn't put veggies from the plate back as leftovers. And pooey on Ben on not using the disposal! We don't have one now as we're not on city sewer, but when we were, we did and I used it all the time. They're not very friendly to silverware either. Now we compost most of our peelings, etc, and I make sure they don't hang around in the house.
Old 07-19-2007, 08:22 PM   #66  
lilybelle

Hi everyone, we're back from the pool. I swam lots of laps. I noticed in the mirror that my face has gotten too dark. Yuck. The rest of me is nicely tanned. I'm using #8 sunscreen each time to keep from burning much. I think from now on I'll use my #50 sunscreen on my face to help keep it from getting any darker.

My eating has been on plan today. We are going to the karaoke club later this evening with my son. It should be a fun time. We have to be home by 11PM to pick up SD as she started a little job today at the local convenience store and isn't old enough to drive herself home. It was cute, she was so nervous with this being her first real job.
Old 07-20-2007, 09:02 PM   #67  

Hi everyone. Busy week as usual here. Our 4-H fair is going on starting tomorrow. I'm going to try to hold down the treat amounts, we'll see how I do. I know I want a chocolate shake from the Dairy Barn. Maybe I'll have one and call it lunch. I've really tried to step up the exercise this week, but it has been very difficult. I took a bike ride today, pulling the 40 pound toddler in the trailer. Let's say that when we got home my legs felt like jelly, and we only went a couple miles. I walked another mile tonight and I'm beat. Getting back into shape post baby is going to be tough. I haven't gained anymore weight, but I'm coming up on that last little bit where you gain a pound/week, or so it seems. I've got to get my head in a good place to start back on a plan post partum. In the past I've lost the weight, but it has been slooooow. I admit I'm worried. I also finished Rethinking Thin last night. I really liked all the parts about what a delicate system weight is, but the message that you might as well give up and go home was a bit depressing. When I have a chance I'm going to read the book discussion. Have a good weekend everyone.
Old 07-21-2007, 01:14 AM   #68  
lilybelle

I made it to the grocery store today and have lots of fresh, healthy food again. Chicken was on sale so bought 20 lbs. of it. Now I'm wondering how many different ways I can fix it. LOL.

DD and I are going shopping tomorrow for good walking shoes. I am definitely having the shin splint problem and a huge problem again with my heel spurs. (the spurs don't bother me when I have good shoes that aren't worn out). Since my main form of exercise is walking, I wear shoes out pretty darn fast. I wanted to walk this evening but just after my trip for groceries, my feet hurt too badly to walk.

My Okra is about ready to pick. So if anyone knows of a good way to fix it besides frying it, please let me know. Of course DH and DS want it fried.

Lisa, I think you are doing a marvelous job of exercising and eating healhy while pregnant. You'll be so glad you did and you won't have any problem getting the pregnancy wt. off after your little bundle of joy arrives. With my pregnancies I craved apples and oranges like crazy. I ate them to my hearts content. I was working full-time as an RN while pregnant and didn't really have a hard time with gaining very much or losing it afterwards. I only wish now I had kept it off and never gotten as big as I did. On second thought if I had never been that big, I probably wouldn't appreciate where I'm at now.

Last edited by lilybelle; 07-21-2007 at 01:21 AM.
Old 07-21-2007, 06:20 AM   #69  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Morning everyone!

Isn't it interesting how quickly someone else's pregnancy seems to go?

We compost too. The fruit flies remind me that it's time to take the bucket out.

Things are going well with me. I feel content and slim. I'd better be mindful of that to prevent content turning into complacent.
Old 07-21-2007, 11:09 AM   #70  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Greetings!

Here in Fla., you really don't want stinky garbage around the house to attract bugs etc. So, if I have things like chicken skin or meat bones, I put them inside a zipper bag marked "Garbage" and put them in the freezer. I can add to the bag all week if I use a gallon size--and I try to reuse zipper bags rather than grab a new one. Come trash day, it's easy to yank them out and send them away.

Jay
Old 07-21-2007, 11:09 AM   #71  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Lily~here are some links to recipes using okra. One of them is an oven fried recipe--perhaps they won't notice the difference? A couple of them will help you use up that chicken, too!

http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/re...ipe_id=1065496
http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/re...ipe_id=1227844
http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/re...ipe_id=1197165
http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/re...cipe_id=671022
http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/re...ipe_id=1622502
http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/re...ipe_id=1142039
Old 07-21-2007, 11:45 AM   #72  
lilybelle

Thanks Allison, I'll check that out. Last night I made baked chicken and just removed the skin from mine and DD's prior to baking and a pan of brown rice with 98% fat free cream of chicken and cream of mushroom soups thinned with skim milk. It was good. I knew someone would know how I could make my okra without frying it. Actually even the thought of frying anything seems kinda gross to me. LOL, I used to think that was the only way to eat food.

I made my first ever home-made salsa last night too for DH and DS to snack on. I got the recipe on here and it turned out pretty good. (I tested a nibble or two). I had so many tomatoes and peppers that needed used that it was great to find a way to use them. I'm gonna can some too for use through the winter. I can always use them in stew, chili and such.
Old 07-21-2007, 03:05 PM   #73  
Working My Way Back Down

And Lily, that salsa doesn't have many calories, esp if you used little or no sugar. Enjoy it with some veggies!
Old 07-21-2007, 06:13 PM   #74  
lilybelle

Pat, I've never tried it with veggies, I need to try that. I didn't use any sugar. Just serrano peppers, jalapenos, cilantro, tomatoes, onions and a little salt and pepper. I might have went a little heavy on the peppers, but the guys love it.
Old 07-21-2007, 09:18 PM   #75  
Maintainer

S/C/G: 216/116/125 100 Lbs Lost!

Height: 5' 1" Tall

Hello ladies: I've been away a while and now I'm back. I am officially 121 lbs and have been for almost a month. I do flux a bit with the humidity and when I let my sodium get the best of me, but none of it is from fat gain. So all is good.

Meg - I hope your kitty is feeling better. I lost my dog Ricky a couple of weeks back. He was 13. Then my other dog Jazz got so lonely that my brother asked if he could adopt him. My brother has a puppy, so they actually like the idea of a more mature dog (Jazz is almost 12) being a positive influence in his life. My bro took care of Jazz when we were on vacation last week and the two dogs have become quite attached to each other. So I'm glad he's happier. He was so depressed after Ricky passed. I miss both of them though. It's nice being able to visit Jazz. So you're planning a wedding huh? How fun. My oldest, Alex is only 14, so I'm sure I have quite a bit of time to plan. Good for you on having such a great work out on Monday. I managed to keep up with my fitness on my vacation. Did a lot of swimming, walking, strength training, etc.. I feel great. It was so nice to come home and step on that scale and see that I maintained. YAY!!!

Lilly-Glad to hear your son is home. Sorry about your sunburn. Hope you're feeling better. I didn't get much sun at all in Florida. I wear a lot of sunscreen because I'm fair. I wouldn't mind a tan though.

Sorry I'm so far behind. I want to be more a part of this site like I used to be. I miss you guys.
Closed Thread