Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 06-21-2007, 12:17 PM   #31  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Lily~it is HOT here in the California desert. We're expecting 114 here in Palm Springs area. I don't know where he is stationed, but 29 Palms Marine Base often has temps close to ours and the other high desert areas are also close to our temps. Tell him to drink plenty of water!

Oh, and go easy on those muffins!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 06:00 PM   #32  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

Allison, I believe Shane said he is at Ft. Irvin near Sacramento. They are actually camped in the Mojave Desert. I was very surprised that he got to call home at all.

I worked 3 hrs. in my back yard today. We should have the fence all concreted within 1 more week. Yipppeee. All the girls came out and helped for a while. My SD and I are going to go for another long walk this evening. The older SD went to play in a golf scramble with DH. (which I encouraged him to go since he's been working tons of overtime and he needs a little break).

Oh, there aren't any more muffins. They only baked 6 of them and we each ate 2 so they are all gone.

We're still waiting on the other grandbaby to be born. Hoping it gets here this weekend before DH leaves for a week to start his new job.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 06:26 PM   #33  
Carolyn

S/C/G: 146/113/110

Height: 5.1

When I go grocery shopping, I always look at what the other people have on the conveyer belt at the check out. I imagine what kind of meals they're going to make from what they're buying. It's fun to see if someone's going to have a party or a BBQ.

The lady ahead of me today bought two big loafs of white bread. I didn't even know they still made white bread. I wanted to ask her if she knew how little nutrition was in her bread.

The scale's still weighing me at my sub-goal even though I haven't done any exercise in over three weeks. I need to get motivated again so I can tone up some more muscles. I'm looking good in the mirror in my shorts and new bathing suit when I stand still. But when I start walking I notice the front of my thighs juggling around.

Lily - I'll be able to emphasize with you on the weeks your DH is away. At least you have the company of your DD and SDs and GC. I've only have a cat to talk to during the week.
clvquilts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 07:48 PM   #34  

S/C/G: 190/132/135

Height: 5' 7"

Lily: Homemade goodies are always my downfall. When I have a sweet tooth, I love to make homemade cookies or brownies. My daughter is picking up this trait, poor thing! At least you don't have any more muffins around to tempt you. And that's great that you have walking partners. My DH and I go for a 3-mile walk almost every evening. It's pretty hot here today so we may have to wait until 8 or even later to go tonight. I hope your son isn't too hot. I'll bet you will be glad when he gets home.
Pam
MileHighMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 07:50 PM   #35  

S/C/G: 140/137/125

Height: 5'2.5"

I just had a big post and it just disapeared while I was writting. I'll try again.

cv you reminded me of a few weeks ago while I was at the grocerie store. There were a couple of ladies in line in front of me they were pointing at my kids and i and talking. When I was putting my groceries on the conveyer belt they were watching. I had my fruit, veggies, whole grain bread , meat, 4 containers of yogurt and frozen blueberries,raspberries and strawberries for smoothies. When I put up my frozen berries one said "it doesn't surprise me"(very rudely) while starring and pointing at my food then they started laughing. Then gave me a snotty look and then stared at my kids (I let them pick out a treat for the week and they each had a box little debbie cakes to go around 4 kids),I only had my 2 little ones with me.) I can't figure out what their problem was my cart looked a lot more appealng than theirs. lol. Some people can be sooo rude.

I do the same as you I checke others cart but I look for ideas of healthy alternatives and ideas. Just things I wouldn't think of.....I know i am such a looser lol
canadian mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 12:38 AM   #36  
15th year in maintenance

S/C/G: 285/172/170

Height: 5'11"

Hope everybody had a good solstice. We tried to make the best of the longest day of the year. After doing some mowing and yard work we went for a late hike with the dogs. Had pretty good light at about 9:40pm when we got done. Sad to think that the daylight's all downhill from here.

It's a busy time of year for us, so we've not been online much. In addition to our dayjobs we have a small company that makes soap and other skincare products. In the summer and fall we travel to some big craftshows to sell our wares. So our free time in the evenings lately has been mostly taken up making or labeling soap (another excuse as to why I'm behind on the Kolata book).

Carolyn: We've enjoyed hearing about your sailing. We're novice sailors ourselves. Hope to find the right boat for us this year before the season's out. We've just been crewing lately.

We often (discreetly) discuss the (often terrible) contents of other people's shopping carts at the checkout. I always expect someone to comment on the unusual items in ours but no one ever does. All we ever get is some 20-something cashier who can't identify half of the veggies we've selected. I shouldn't talk. I'm pretty sure my vegetable literacy was about as bad at that age.

Very late here. Felt compelled to retype my post after losing the whole window to a spastic keystroke. I hate that!
JohnKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 08:12 AM   #37  

I get the confused cashier syndrome. "What is this?" "What do you DO with it?" We're talking avacados and squash. Not real exotic stuff.

My eating is still not where it needs to be. It has been hot so I have been eating alot of salads. Numerous people have been dropping off and sending goodies for dd. We have more cookies and candy in the house than we've had for ages. She hasn't really even eaten any, but my other kids have sure enjoyed it. Luckily it's not sweets that get me.

I enjoyed reading everyone's comments on their teen dd. Mine is 15. Her weight is fine (120lb 5'7") but her nutrition is another story. She's a vegetarian who doesn't like beans, nuts, or most dairy. It can be quite a challenge to feed her. I often tell her what she really should be called is a breadatarian. Right now she's not eating at all though, so I'd even be happy with her favorite food-butter toast.

I have an MD appointment next week so I'll have to face the music if I've put on too much weight during dd's stressful surgery and recovery. At this point I don't much care. A bad attitude I know. Have a great day all!
joyofsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 12:25 PM   #38  
Carolyn

S/C/G: 146/113/110

Height: 5.1

UGH! I had just written a long post and hit the wrong button and completely lost it :^{

John - we have a boat for every wave and wind condition! Our 36' sailboat is mostly used as our summer home at the beach (an hour & half from our house and two & half from DH's apartment). We don't sail it that much anymore because we alway run around in the channel and it's an hour and a half motor sail to the Atlantic Ocean inlet.

We have a 13' Hobie Wave catamaran which is my favorite. A 12' sunfish that's in the backyard awaiting much needed cosmetic repairs. A 18' speedboat with a broken engine in our side yard. We don't have the time, money, or inclination to fix it. A 10' inflatable two-person kayak. A 12' inflatable boat with a choice of 4 or 8 horsepower engines that we use when we go cruising. A 6-person life raft that we hope we NEVER will use. And DH's windsurfer.

I've been sailing all my life and DH since he was around 8. Where in KY would you boat? Are you interested in power or sail?

Lisa - my cousin was a foster mom to a girl from Tibet that had such severe scoliosis that she wasn't expected to live past 12. Dhrama went to the Shrinners' hospital in LA for her surgeries and was in traction for several months. Her scoliosis is no longer life threatening and she has gained several inches, but she will always have the condition. My cousin has since been able to adopt her because she was also an orphan. It took about 2 years with the paperwork. We couldn't imagine our family without her in it.

About once a week, I get an email from Bob Greene's Your Best Life. This one was good advice so I thought I'd share it.

Add color to your plate to get more out of your meals
by Dayna Winter, M.S., R.D.

Each fruit and veggie offers different benefits, and you can use its color to figure out which vitamins, minerals and phytonutrients your produce packs. Try to eat every color during the day to make sure you cover your needs. Here's what to look for...

Green: Asparagus, broccoli, green beans, spinach, kale, darker lettuces like romaine, kiwi, honeydew melon
What They Have: Lutein and zeaxanthin for eye health and beta carotene which acts as an antioxidant

White/Green: Artichokes, asparagus, celery, endive, garlic, mushrooms, onions, green pears, green apples
What They Have: Cancer-fighting substances, as well as flavonoids that may reduce your risk of heart disease

Yellow/Orange: Carrots, sweet potatoes, pumpkin, winter squashes, citrus fruit, mangoes, peaches, apricots
What They Have: Bioflavonoids and antioxidants that can protect against cancer and heart disease

Red: Red tomatoes (and foods that contain them, like tomato sauce and salsa), pink grapefruit, watermelon
What They Have: Vitamin C and lycopene, powerful antioxidants that ward off disease

Purple/Blue/Deep Red: Red beets, eggplants, grapes, red cabbage, red pears, plums, prunes, cranberries
What They Have: Anthocyanins, antioxidants that help prevent blood clots and may improve brain function...
clvquilts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 12:28 PM   #39  

Those nasty missed keystrokes! I've done that a number of times myself. It's so infuriating!

Diet is going along fine. I'm still not at ticker weight, but am down 1.5 pounds since Monday.

Busy day at work--gotta run. Everyone have a great day!
Old 06-22-2007, 04:33 PM   #40  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

Hi everyone, I've had a busy morning. DH told me last night (after midnight )that he needed me to make home-made Mac-n-cheese to take to his work at lunch time today. I didn't have the macaroni so had to run get some. I made it and it looked great but I didn't eat a single bite of it. It was for a retirement party for a co-worker of his. When me and my SD took it to him, the whole group at his work asked if we'd like to join them for lunch. I fibbed and said we had already eaten. The table was laden with fattening fried foods, all kinds of potatoes, tons of yummy looking desserts. I just didn't want to be faced with all the temptations.

Carolyn, once when I watched a show on super-obese people one thing the commentator said was their food had "no color". This struck a chord with me. Now I've very conscious that my food for each day has many different colors.

I admit, I like to look at what other people put in their grocery baskets too. I sometimes see things that are low-fat/low cal. that I haven't tried and the next time I will try some of it myself.

Carolyn, all those boats sound like fun. We just have our one Ranger Bass Boat that I love going out on. I wish we had even more time to use it. The kids love skiing and wake-boarding or tubing behind it.

We've had a lot of rain lately. I worked hard late yesterday evening weeding my garden. My veggies are sure growing great.

Allison, WTG on the 1.5 lbs. lost. I forgot to weigh today but I feel thinner. My size 5 capris are actually not staying up on my hips very well today so I think I've started losing again. I hope anyway. It may just be that I'm losing inches again from all the yard work and walking. Either way, it feels good.

Lisa, I hope your DD is feeling better and able to eat more soon.

I got all my bills paid today , banking done and grocery shopping done. I did great on not buying any junk food. We ate lunch out and I had baked chicken a small baked potatoe, cabbage and some fresh pineapple and strawberries. It was good and I felt like I stayed on plan.

Oh, DH won first place in the golf tournament last night. He was very happy. It was really the first time he'd played in 6 months. He won $165.00 gift certificate to the Pro shop. His team came in at 1 under Par.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 04:57 PM   #41  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Lily, we finally had rain here too, everyone's lawns were brown! Last night my fiance and I got woken up at 4:30am since the rain, wind, and thunder were so loud. We even went down to check on the TV and make sure there were no tornado warnings. The grass looked a little greener this morning!

I look at other people's groceries in the supermarket too. There seem to be three types of grocery groups I usually see. One is people who are buying few, if any, "healthy" foods -- usually their cart is loaded with white bread, Kraft mac & cheese (I admit, one of my favorite guilty pleasures), chips, soda, etc. One is people who buy almost entirely "healthy" foods -- lots of veggies, boneless skinless chicken breasts, whole wheat products. The last is when I can tell that the person is buying healthy food or even diet food for themself, and junk food for their kids. I always look at these carts and think "Why would you feed that to your kids if you think it is too unhealthy to feed to yourself?"

Have a good weekend everyone!
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 10:54 PM   #42  
15th year in maintenance

S/C/G: 285/172/170

Height: 5'11"

Carolyn - You have a lot of boats! We might too if we lived closer to the ocean. Growing up in Florida we had a Hobie cat. It really moved!

We hate being landlocked but plan to go more coastal in the next couple years. In the meantime there are a couple fairly large lakes in the area that offer decent sailing.

We're looking for something small, simple and sturdy with some bluewater potential for after the move. Maybe something like a Westerly Nomad (22).

I sailed as a child but have just recently got back into it. We've read volumes on sailing, taken courses and volunteered as crew, but I guess the only way to get real experience is to get out there and sail.

Sort of fell in love with the idea of sailing after reading the Pardeys, Annie Hill and others.

Definitely more interested in sailing than power. In fact, would love to go without an engine when we get experienced enough.
JohnKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 05:46 AM   #43  

Hi maintainers,

Lily - Sounds like you're doing OK again! WTG on the size 5 capri's !

I'm in a really fat phase at the moment, gaining steadily for the past months. Very difficult to keep optimistic, as the weight is just slowly creeping up. All my summer clothes are getting tight. on the good side, I am back into exercise again. I have reached my minimum target for the week this morning, with a run, FBWO & some yoga afterwards, and I feel like I can hardly move. With summer coming, I'll probabely do more at home and maybe crunch up the intensity. The good thing is that I seemed to be lifting a bit heavier that the last time.

NOw to keep it up.

Have a great day all,
rabbit
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 06:18 AM   #44  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Hi everyone. Gardening update. The bloodmeal is working. Nobody is digging and I actually have sprouts! But it stinks!
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 10:48 AM   #45  

Good morning everyone!
Rabbit, I've been gaining the last few months also. Sucks, huh? I actually decided to be honest with myself and change my ticker. I've also been one week really trying to lose again. So far, I'm down 1.5 pounds from the high. Since my plan is working, I'm going to stick with it for a few more weeks and hopefully the additional pounds will go away. Basically the only thing I'm doing differently is changing my lunch from a big salad to several baggies of fruits and vegetables (which take longer for me to eat so I consume fewer calories). I'm also limiting my bread.