Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 05-11-2007, 12:54 PM   #31  
Meg

Lily, happy birthday to DD tomorrow!

Your dinner sounds delicious! Who would have thought that plain food tastes so good - that it doesn't need sauces or to be fried? Funny how our tastebuds have changed!

As for the potty training, I think it's going to be difficult without you being able to be consistent. If he's bright, do you think talking with him about what big boys do would help? If he's the younger one, maybe he'll want to start imitating his brother? And if he's the older one, maybe you could tell him it's a way to show that he's more grown up than his brother? Just a few ideas, I know it's a tough situation all the way around.

What's everyone have planned for the weekend? Any Mother's Day surprises coming your way, do you think?
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 01:15 PM   #32  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Nothing special planned for Mother's day here. DD is making me a bracelet (she made me one for my birthday last year and it broke a few months back). They're friendship bracelets (I get an anklet) and she wears one and I wear one--we never take them off! I'm trying to talk DD and DS into making me dinner that night, but DD doesn't want to. DS will do it by himself if he feels like it (he made dinner for DH and himself Wednesday night). I imagine I'll get flowers and/or wine from DH.

DH and my anniversary is the 14th, so DH is taking me out to dinner Saturday night. We're going to try a new place--the menu sounds wonderful! Also Saturday, DH is golfing in a tournament to raise $$ for a young man who broke his neck in a diving accident and I'm going to get my hair done.

Next weekend, Vegas! (for a wedding)
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 01:30 PM   #33  
Maintainer

S/C/G: 216/116/125 100 Lbs Lost!

Height: 5' 1" Tall

I had a great week so far. Lost another pound!
Libby1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 03:17 PM   #34  
Carolyn

S/C/G: 146/113/110

Height: 5.1

Wow Libby, look at your muscles! I've been lifting 3 pound weights for 2 weeks now and can see muscle definition in my arms. I'm following the routine from Bob Greene's "Total Body Makeover".

DH came back home last night after being up in our North Jersey apartment for a few days. He's still suffering from a cold that has made him very tired. I've never seen him sleep so much.

Yesterday, my next door neighbor blew up a smaller version one of those air bounce rooms you see at carnivals. I had fun jumping around in it until her five year old kicked me out. There was also a blow up slide that I went down a few times. 50 pounds ago, I wouldn't have even tried it.
clvquilts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 03:31 PM   #35  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

I am so happy. I have gotten Taylor to pee in the potty 3 times so far today. Of course, he got 2 M&M's, plus hugs kisses and clapping each time. But, hey it's working. He gets 4 M&M's if he goes Poo in the potty. I'm sure this probably isn't the greatest way to teach him. But, it does work. It's better than my mom did with my brothers. She shamed them and made them wear "girl panties" if they had an accident. They both learned amazingly quick. LOL. I'm sure that would be considered child abuse nowdays.(that was 45 yrs. ago). I think if I could keep Taylor all weekend, I could have him potty trained. I'm thinking that with a third baby due in July that if it isn't done right now, it won't get done for a long time. When Lacy gets home from school, I'm running to the Dollar Store (only thing close by) and getting Taylor some regular (spiderman)underwear and gonna keep working on this. He says he wants to wear big boy boxers like Uncle Shane (my son). Taylor is the oldest of the 2 boys, the younger one (Gunner) is 11 months old. I have encouraged him today that he is "grandma's big boy". Thanks for the input ,MEG.

We don't have any special plans for Mother's Day. DH is working a 16 hr. shift on Sunday. I normally go with my sisters on that day to decorate the cemetery where my family is buried. A pretty depressing day for us every yr.

I have both boys asleep for a nap right now. Wow, I usually never get them both asleep at the same time. I'm getting pretty good at this grandma stuff. LOL.

I had forgotten to mention to all of you that I lost my wedding rings a week ago. They had gotten entirely too big, so I took them off and put them in my purse. I had been meaning to have them resized for a long time and never got around to it. DH and I shopped for new rings last night but I didnt' find any that I liked that we could afford right now. Maybe with his new job, I'll be able to get some soon. It is really sad. My rings were beautiful. With a large center diamond and a 2 carat ring guard. I'd like to get new ones just like the ones I had. Best I can figure, they fell out of my purse when we were camping and boating. Probably now at the bottom of the lake. We have searched the camper, the boat, the house, the yard and they aren't here anywhere.

Carolyn, your post had me smiling. Not long ago, DD and I went to the park. We both took turns sliding down the big yellow plastic tube slide. It hurt my bony knees. I don't think those are made for an old person like me. LOL.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 04:20 PM   #36  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Lily, my babysitter is responsible for potty training my DS--well, perhaps it was her two sons who are just a bit older than him. Having a kid in daycare with older kids definitely helps! I trained DD myself and she was a bit more difficult--forgetting all the time to get to the potty first! Then she used to go outside and squat by the tree and poop her diaper--too funny, I think she was watching the dog!!! Anyway, one day, she toddled out to the tree and started to squat and I ran out, grabbed her and put her on the potty and she never went back to the tree!!! As for DS, I think it was fun for him to learn--all the little boys would stand around the toilet and pee--he wanted to be like the "big" boys and pee in the toilet too!

So sorry to hear about your rings. Did you happen to check to see if you have a rip in the lining of your purse? The other day I "lost" my house keys--but it turns out there was a tiny rip in the lining and they were lost between the lining and the leather outer purse.

DH and I went to a deli for lunch today. Interestingly, they served the mayo on the side of my sandwich (a BLT). I ordered it with avocado, so I just passed on the mayo and I didn't miss it a bit.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 10:21 PM   #37  
lilybelle

Allison, thanks. Taylor ended up doing great today on the potty training. He even pooped twice in the toilet and peed 6 times. I gave him tons of praise. He seemed so happy about it. I know his life is all screwed up right now and my heart just goes out to him. But, this milestone still needs to be accomplished. I put him in regular underwear and he didn't want to mess them up. I bet I took him to the bathroom 50 times today. LOL. When his dad picked him up, I just bragged and bragged on him and told the dad how great he did. He says he'll keep working with him. I wanted to go ahead and keep him all weekend, but the dad said they were going out of town. But, this has been by Far my most successful day of training him. He just seems like now he's so willing to do it and so much in need of the praise. I love this little guy with all my heart.

Allison, I did check the lining of my purse after I read your post and they weren't there.
Old 05-12-2007, 10:12 AM   #38  

Lily-You are such a good grandma. My heart just breaks for those two little boys. They are so lucky to have you and your dh.

Carolyn-The blow up thing sounds like fun. I get on the trampoline with the kids but I'm sure it's not a pretty sight.

Libby-Congrats on that pound.

Pat-Moose and bear! Eeek! I'll stick with possums, and rabbits, and racoons and deer. I stand a fighting chance with them.

Food has been just ok. I could be making better choices but when I'm hungry I need to eat right then or I feel nauseous. I have been riding my bike towing my 3yo in the trailer behind. Woof, I'm growing to hate hills. I tried playing some soccer with the kids in the back yard last night, but I was not match for the 15 and 13yo. I blamed it on being pregnant but I think I really couldn't keep up anyway.
joyofsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 10:45 AM   #39  
lilybelle

I kept the grandson's for 13.5 hrs. yesterday. I had planned to do the treadmill after they went home. But, OMG I felt like I'd been on my feet the entire day. (except for the FIVE times I was on my hands and knees cleaning up spills). My freshly shampooed carpet had a lot of good old hand scrubbing yesterday. By the time they left, I couldn't drag my butt out of the recliner. I ended up bathing the 11 month old 3 different times. His arms are only about 1 foot long, but he can somehow reach a glass or cup that is 3 feet away. He is in the climbing stage, that is for sure. This baby (gunner) weighs 25 lbs. Funny thing, I noticed that I have no hips to tote him on. LOL, he was riding on pure bone. I saw him take 8 consecutive steps yesterday, so he'll be running all over the place soon. It was so cute.

It was a good and exhausting day. (Except for the 1 hr. that the boys mother came by). She left them both screaming and crying for her and it took me a while to get them settled back down. They don't understand why there mom just pops in and out of their lives and why they can't go with her. It breaks my heart.

Lacy is up early for her B-day and has already opened her gifts. She's rummaging the kitchen now for food. Her new phone doesn't work right, so we're taking it back this afternoon to trade it. I'm afraid the remote area we live in is the problem. Hopefully we can get a different phone plan that will work for her. Even our home phone isn't working right now since all the flooding lately and we're having the phone company out next week to check it.

Lacy wants cup cakes for her B-day. Which is fine, I'll make them and then send a big batch next door to my neighbors (that have 3 small kids) so I can have less temptation around here today. I promise myself to eat only ONE. (She says she only wants ONE).
Old 05-13-2007, 08:08 PM   #40  
lilybelle

I hope everyone is having a great Mother's Day. DH cooked breakfast for me and then cleaned the living room and kitchen spotlessly clean. Wow, I didn't know he could do that. LOL. He gave my kids money to go shopping for me . I don't know yet what they will get me. Clothes, I bet. (which I love).

I took a long, leisurely nap and then worked in my garden a while. It is beautiful and hot. Almost 90 degrees.

My sister's decided to wait til Memorial Day to decorate the cemetery. Which I'm very thankful for. I hate decorating it on Mother's Day. It is just too sad.

With DD's birthday yesterday and Mother's Day today, my eating hasn't been completely perfect. But, I had 1700 cal's yesterday and 1600 today. That , I believe I can live with. Yesterday I had one cupcake. I sent 12 cupcakes to my neighbors house just to get rid of them (and of course so they could have some).

Lacy had friends stay over last night, so they all devoured the rest of the cupcakes. Which, I'm happy about. She had a great b-day.