Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 04-19-2007, 09:00 PM   #16  
Mel

nelie- I really don't know the answer to that. I was never technically morbidly obese. My highest weight was around 185-190ish at 5'3". I've lost 60-65 pounds depending on the day or where I really started- I was too scared to actually get on the scale for a few days.

Obviously a LOT of people aren't always hungry. Glory and Robin both lost more than I did, and don't seem to be hungry. There is some research on the hormone grehlin which affects hunger that indicates that reduced obese actually produce MORE of it after they've lost weight than they did while obese. Maybe that's what is going on.

The other factor is that both Meg and I do a lot of heavy weight training and carry a significantly higher percentage of muscle than most women our age and size. My body fat level is a lot lower than is "normal" for a 52 year old. My weight and BMI (122 and 21.6) are smack dab in the normal range. So I have a lot of muscle that is screaming for food. Fat doesn't scream for food. The unexplainable as far as I'm concerned is how I can actually maintain that muscle on what I eat (1300-1400 calories). It makes no sense, but that's how my body works.
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote