Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 03-29-2007, 09:32 AM   #31  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

Hi everyone, I am not feeling too well. A sinus infection is getting me down. I had to stop working in my garden yesterday. Sore throat, congestion, stuffy nose and pressue in my ears. By mid-afternoon I had fever and chills. Spent most all day on the couch, freezing cold and reading a book. I read my entire new Mary Higgins Clark book (two little girls in blue) yesterday. It was 83 degrees here and I was layered up in warm clothes. I'm going to try to see my Dr. this afternoon for some antibiotics.

We have a funeral to go to in the morning. The slain police officer that was killed near here last Friday night. It will be a humongous funeral with parking several blocks from the convention center in Ft. Smith , AR. I'm glad there will be shuttle buses as I don't think I'd be able to walk too far right now.

Pookie, my wt. varies quite a bit and I never change my ticker. Currently 142 but ranges anywhere from 141 to a high of 147 since reaching maintenance. I need to remove my ticker and just put maintaining under avatar but need my DD to do it. I don't know how. LOL.

I have on a pr. of my DD's shorts today. A size 12/ 14 in girls. I don't know what that equates to in adult sizes, but they fit. LOL. (The few pr. of shorts I own are still packed away in the camper and I don't feel like going out to get them).

I've decided to also plant a blackberry and raspberry bush but they won't bear fruit til next summer. I'm really getting into this gardening. LOL. My DD laughs and tells me this means I'm OLD.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 02:05 PM   #32  
Carolyn

S/C/G: 146/113/110

Height: 5.1

The dryer trick on my dark purple jeans only worked for an hour last night at the West Coast Swing class. All that movement made them baggy in the butt again. Darn, another pair to add to the too big box.

My attempt to take in the side seams of one of my T-Shirt dresses failed. I'll have to get some fitted sun dresses this summer. At least I know I can't get any smaller in my rib cage area.

Today's activity will be a four mile bike ride in the beautiful spring weather we're having on the East Coast.

DH messed up his paperwork for unemployment so we're out 8 weeks at $500 per for a total $4,000 and I'm having a hard time motivating him to get it straighten out. Plus he came home from North Jersey with more city parking tickets and an E-Z Pass ticket. The system has never worked right for us.

Thank goodness we have money in the bank from the sale of our rental house AND my disability checks cover our mortgage or I'd be stressed out and on my way to a bipolar relapse.

Instead, I'm going to get on that bike and enjoy the day.
clvquilts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 03:44 PM   #33  
Working My Way Back Down

Hi!

Before I forget, I wanted to tell Carolyn that Siesta Key is my favorite beach! My grandparents bought a house in Sarasota in the late 50's and it was in the family until I sold it 2 years ago. I've spent many happy hours there, though I have no desire to live there (which is why I sold the house).

Lily, hope you're feeling better. I too love living in a rural area. I was in Dallas, TX over last weekend, and while I enjoyed the variety of shops and restaurants, museums, etc. (and of course visiting my GFs) the traffic and the crowds drove me nuts! I was happy to come home to my house on my own 2 acres, and my little town of 6,000!
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 06:41 AM   #34  

I hope everyone who's feeling under the weather is better this morning. Lily? Anne? We live in a rural area too, just outside a town of 1000. I have lived in metro Indy, but can't imagine moving back. Give me the corn and bean fields!
joyofsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 10:13 AM   #35  
used to be tofat

S/C/G: 189/128.5/130

Height: 5' 3 1/2"

Hi everybody. I hope its ok to join you. I've been lurking on your thread for quite some time now picking up tips. I hit my maintenance weight again last week. I've been nervous to join you because I did so poorly with maintenance last year. I'm scared about entering this stage again but I'm determined to succeed. I feel like I know a bit more about how little of a change is involved moving from "dieting" to "maintaining".

I feel like I already know a bit about most of you from lurking so I'll do a quick intro. I'm 33 (at least for another month) married, no kids, 2 dogs. I'm a piano teacher/church organist for my main jobs. I also teach bead jewelry classes at a few shops and sell my hand made, original designed jewelry. I dabble at being a glass artist but so far just make jewelry with my glass. Someday I hope to get the nerve to try some platters and vases.

I lost my weight by mainly controlling portion size, eating better foods and lots of exercise. I love biking and its finally getting warm enough here to pull mine out again. I also run a little-race 5Ks but not very fast. I do a little with weights and know I need to increase that area as I've let it slack off over the past few months. On icky days I'll do a turbokick workout either at home or the gym.

I hope you are all having a wonderful, sunny day.
ArtsyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 10:34 AM   #36  
Meg

Brandy! Why'd you wait so long to jump in?

Congratulations on getting back to your goal weight! A lot of us have done the lose/regain/lose thing while we're trying to figure out maintenance. So stick around with us and we'll help you through the challenges and rough patches. Because this time you're staying at goal, right?

We're looking forward to hearing lots more from you!

Totally off-topic but what on earth is this? Dancing BROCCOLI?
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 11:07 AM   #37  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Welcome Brandy! Your weight loss stats sound similar to mine (height, start, and goal)!

Things are really up and down around here. My scale is now officially broken (I adjust the needle to zero, get on, and when I get off the needle isn't on zero anymore) so I need to buy a new one. I guess I shouldn't be suprised seeing how I bought it from the salvation army thrift shop when I was totally broke! I'm afraid of getting a new scale since I know it will weigh me higher.

Tomorrow will be another day of house hunting, fingers crossed that we find some good stuff. I'm disappointed because I went back to my wrist doctor Wednesday, had another injection, and am back in a right arm splint for six more weeks. I'm betting I'll need another six on the left after this, and if that doesn't work more surgeries. I was really hoping to be okay by the time we buy a house so I can help out with gardening and painting and stuff. Plus I don't want to have surgeries this summer since I don't want big scars at our wedding in October. Ugh.

In happier news the weather's been amazing lately. And my fiance bought me flowers the other day since he knew I was upset about my wrists (he usually only buys me flowers on special occasions).

I think we are going to try to keep a simple Passover... no wheat, barley, oats, rye, or spelt. I don't know if I can handle giving up rice, corn, and beans as well! Now I just need to consult a calendar and see if it starts Sunday night or Monday night.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 05:36 PM   #38  
lilybelle

Hi everyone. I made it to the funeral today despite my being ill. My sinus infection has moved into my chest and I feel horrible. The parking for the funeral was about a mile and a half from the Convention center. There were shuttle buses that we rode to the funeral but they never picked us back up afterwards. We had to walk back to our vehicles. I was so short of breath that it was hard for me to walk it. I'm really glad that I chose shoes with only a 1 1/2 inch heel that were reasonably comfortable for walking.

. My Dr.'s office was over-booked yesterday but he did call me in a prescription for Zithromax. It isn't helping yet.

Carolyn, sorry about the trouble you're having with your DH's unemployment.

Brandy, Hi and Welcome to Maintainer's forum.

Jessica, sorry you are having so much trouble with your wrists. Hope you find a home that you just love, real soon.

Last night when me and DD were picking out dress clothes for today, she asked if she could wear my black skirt. It's a size 6 so I figured it would fit her. She cried and cried because she couldn't even Zip it at all. I felt so bad for her. She weighs the same as I do but she is a little shorter and has a thicker waist than I do. Today she has eaten twice as much as she usually does and has an "I don't care attitude". I'm at a total loss of what to say or do. She wears a size 3 to 5 in jeans that button low and doesn't have any problem with her hips or legs, but her waist is 35 inches. It really tears me up to see her being so unhappy with herself and her wt.
Old 03-30-2007, 05:39 PM   #39  
Carolyn

S/C/G: 146/113/110

Height: 5.1

Lost another pound below my goal weight so I'm thinking I might be able to reach my secret wish goal weight of 105. Only 3 to go.

DH and I racked our bikes on the back of the car and went off to the Pine Barrens today. We choose a different route through Warren State Park and end up in some very sandy areas. Lots of popping off the bike and pushing it through. We came to a very pretty stream where the cedar trees turned the water to a beautiful amber color. It was very peaceful.

Today, I tried the Smucker's Natural Style Reduced Fat Peanut Butter and really liked it.

Welcome Brandy ~ you've joined a great group here. They are very knowledgeble and supportive.

Jessica ~ what is spelt? I didn't realize you would have to give up rice, corn, and beans also. That leaves only vegetables, fruits, meats, fish, nuts, and dairy.
clvquilts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 05:53 PM   #40  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Lily~my heart goes out to your DD. it is so hard as a parent to know the right thing to say when our kids are feeling low. I know when I was a kid anything my Mom would say to try and raise my spirits would only make me feel worse. It is hard. If it were me, I'd just give her a big hug (that's what I do with my DD--she doesn't like the talk so much).

Carolyn~spelt is a grain kind of like wheat. It's really quite good.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 07:23 PM   #41  

S/C/G: S:157/C:121/G:125

Hi! Just wanted to let you guys know I'm still around! Been working, and it seems like the time to write just isn't there! I haven't broken my peanut butter promise to you guys! It's been about 3 weeks now, I think? I haven't eaten excess PB from the jar since I made the pledge. I am going to a party tonight...that's what triggered the last downfall. I'm eating dinner before I go like I did last time...I just hope that I can stick to not eating at the party -- didn't work out to well before. I'll have to try to remind myself that I HAVE EATEN ALREADY and I am satisfied!! I considered not eating before the party, but I was hungry, and my food is probably healthier than what they'll have.
Tara D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 07:36 PM   #42  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

After 2 years at Maintenance, I can finally eat at parties. I still stay away from my "forever no's" - fried foods, packaged baked goods, soda. But I nibble and enjoy myself. My goal is to eat well/make good choices 90% of the time.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 08:50 PM   #43  

S/C/G: 182/155/145

Height: 5'8"

Glory - good for you to be able resist the delectables at a party.
I am off to a party tonight and I sure hope I can keep things under control.

Just had a bath and I am feeling at maximum girth!!! This not having a kitchen is really taking it's toll on my plan.
Any suggestions??? I need to get back in the swing before it becomes a huge job!!

-S
sznn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 10:15 AM   #44  
lilybelle

Allison, you are so right. It seems that anything I do say to try to help just offends her. (such as offering to walk or ride bikes with her). It is hard to watch a child have problems with wt. and self-esteem issues. I know that if I could lose weight for her, I'd gladly do it. We all know that no-one can do it for you. She wanted to eat out for lunch yesterday after the funeral. So, we did. I had a small dinner salad with fat free dressing and a turkey sandwich. She ordered shrimp alfredo, salad with ranch dressing, buttered bread and a big bowl of ice cream. I always hope that leading by example will help, but often it doesn't. I never comment on what she orders as that would just make her even more upset. Her best friend is captain of the color guard team at school and has talked Lacy into trying out for color guard for next season. Maybe this will give her something to look forward to. She is practicing now with the flags.

My son just got his promotion through for Sergeant in the Army Reserves. I am proud of him. But, OTOH it scares me. Now, when he goes to Iraq in August he'll be giving orders to his squad. That is a scary thing.

Tara, WTG on that PB commitment. I'm not having much problem with it right now. I seem to be craving oranges a lot for now.

sznn, sorry you are having problems. Wish I knew how to help.
Old 03-31-2007, 12:50 PM   #45  

S/C/G: S:157/C:121/G:125

Well, the party went ok last night. It wasn't a real party...only about 8 people were there. They just had one main dish and some chips, candy, and cake. Since I go there late and had eaten, I didn't even feel tempted with the chips and candy. The main dish was somewhat healthy, so I could have eaten that if need be. I don't have a rule against eating at parties in general, but this one just started later in the evening (I would have been starved by the time dinner was served), and I suspected there might only be a few options, so I decided to eat first. It's also not just about the potential calorie overload...I also have things that I can't/don't eat, and I preferred to make sure I had a good dinner. For example, I don't do dairy, and if that was in the main dish....uh, oh! Chips here I come!

Today I almost had a weak moment with the peanut butter. I finished the jar while making my sandwich for lunch, and I was tempted to consume the scrapings. I did eat a little more than my usual two sandwiches, though. I took a thin end slice of the bread and made another fold-over small PB and J sandwich...probably an extra 100 calories or so, but that's ok. Writing here right now has kept me from making another sandwich! I'm giving my stomach a little time to realize I did eat!
Tara D is offline   Reply With Quote