One day when I was riding in commute traffic from Santa Rosa to Berkeley with my mom, I spent a good 30-45 minutes observing the habits of people next to us. (As we were in the carpool lane moving more quickly than everyone else, I got to see what lots of different people were doing.) The top things morning commuters like to do while driving:
- Drink coffee
- Sing in the car
- Talk on speakerphones/Bluetooth earpieces, or to themselves?
- Read the paper on the steering wheel
- Read a novel on the steering wheel
- Listen to their iPods (illegal, by the way! I'm not sure but I think you may be allowed to have *one* earbud in... but not two. Still a bad idea if you ask me!)
- Once in a while I still see someone with a cell phone to their ear. LAW BREAKERS!
Seems like a better idea would be to live close to your workplace so you can ride the bus or your bike or walk... or at the very least have a short enough drive that you aren't tempted to read a NOVEL on the way to work.