Old 08-31-2006, 11:44 AM   #1  

Height: 5'7.5"

Default Mash potatoes,gravy & stuffing? YIKES! pre-Thanksgiving challenge

Someone mention stuffing??? I was looking at my calendar yesterday,and even though I know it's the end of summer, I recall years past when somehow Thanksgiving would creep up on me,and I always regretted I didn't loose a few lbs. so I could at least enjoy the meal without regret,guilt,or extra weight gain. So this yr. since I did think of it in time,I thought the very best thing for me to do is PLAN for it,schedule it into my life,knowing I'm not going to give up anything at this dinner...no fat free stuffing,or gravy for this chick..I plan on having the good stuff, maybe not a truck-load as in the past,but certainly enough to feel like I've had my tastebuds satisfied. This is not for a day of noshing uncontrollably.. but it is planning ahead by losing enough excess lbs. BEFORE that day,so that I can AFFORD to spend the calories. Not a lofty goal but reasonable I think. Say between now and then 1extra lb. lost to hold in reserve..alone with our usual weekly goal of 1-2lbs. I'm dangling that carrot out there to see if there is anyone else that might join this challenge. Hope so...Kicking it into 3rd gear. Focused~:
choices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 09:49 PM   #2  

44 PEOPLE HAVE LOOKED AT THIS,AND NOBODY HAS THOUGHT IT A GOOD IDEA TO PLAN AHEAD FOR THIS DAY OF FEASTING? GEE, I must say I'm surprised,and dissapointed. Does mashed potatoes,gravy,and stuffing come with some kind of 'SECRET'..duh..don't think so. If it's on the want list as far as food is concerned, I personally think the mind set should be..plan for it/earn the extra saved calories..then spend them,without any guilt..Am I the only one that thinks this is a good way..a new way to look at food,and losing in the process? Hope not. Focused.
Old 08-31-2006, 10:16 PM   #3  
ROSIE

S/C/G: 212/165/165

The only problem I have with it, is that mashed potatoes are one of my trigger foods. If I allowed a little I would want more. I'm not saying I'm perfect but I'm trying to put all my bad habits behind me. It would be much better to eat a balanced meal with all the good things you can have. Turkey is ok as long as you take off the skin. Have salad and fruit. Even fruit salad made with sf ff cool whip. Just some suggestions.
There may be others that think you can eat it as a special treat. If you can eat that and not go on a binge, go for it.
impala girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 05:15 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 199/191/179

Height: 5' 5-1/2"

As Thanksgiving gets closer, I'm sure the COD will have some suggestions as well, so that we can all enjoy the day without being too off.
I already know that I will enjoy a small taste of everything on Thanksgiving.
dolphn545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 08:15 AM   #5  
plan 2 with lites

S/C/G: 194/178.6/145

The stuffing and warm rolls are my trigger foods that i know I need to stay away from. I will be making mostly on plan stuff, and fitting it into my plan so i don't feel guilty after. I did it for Easter this past year and it worked out great! Like Rosie said, some people may be able to have a little bit and not binge, and for that i'm jealous LOL... but as for me if I have a little bit there will be more and more "nibbles" that will add up to a meal
heather314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 11:44 AM   #6  

Default Thanks ladies for your imput

Good to hear from you on this subject..Triggers,yes I do understand and thank you for wising me up. For me it's different, If I get the "can't have it" I have trouble staying on track. (as in cheeseburgers.) So I plan ahead say a wk.or two and reach my goal then I go ahead and have whatever it is that I want. I don't call it a reward,I call it planning to avoid being deprived,a all or nothing mentality..it helps me stay on track. I think it's absolutely wonderful that we discuss,describe all the stratagies we put in place to get to our goals,inch by inch healthy and leaner. Thanks for the enlightenment. Focused~