3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   LA Weight Loss (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/la-weight-loss-171/)
-   -   Help! OP Mexican Recipe Needed! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/la-weight-loss/88594-help-op-mexican-recipe-needed.html)

green0923 07-06-2006 08:35 AM

Help! OP Mexican Recipe Needed!

Okay, tomorrow we are having a Mexican-themed pot luck lunch at work. I want to bring something OP so that I have something to eat, but also want to participate. Does anyone have a recipe for any OP Mexican dishes? I looked through the cookbook, but didn't really see anything.

bizlawchik 07-06-2006 08:49 AM

You could make a taco salad.

Brown ground sirloin with an onion and flavor w/cumin, garlic powder, morton's, pepper. Put over lettuce and other veggies w/salsa and sour cream mixed todgether for a dressing (or dollops of each over salad for presentation. Also, if you want to get crazy, look in your plan book under carb cravers for the nacho recipe, which you can have once a week. You can add 12 tortilla chips and count the salsa and cheese all together for a P.

I'm at work and typing fast, so this may not make sense. But, if you use the carb craver nachos, and add the taco meat and lettuce, you get 2P and V for exchanges. If you need some more help, PM me. Good Luck!

green0923 07-06-2006 09:48 AM

Thanks, Cassi! Good suggestion. I will do the taco salad.

Repo girl 07-06-2006 10:25 AM

I do it with turkey burger too. Very tasty. Lime juice squeezed over your salad is good too. I also love to make carne asada. Take a lean cut of steak, chop into fairly small pieces, and cook in a skillet sprayed with PAM until no longer pink. Salt well with mortons and squeeze a couple of limes over the meat. I serve this meat in a pita with some lf cheese, ff sour cream, and fresh homemade salsa (tomatoes, onions, peppers, cilantro, avacado, mortons, and lime). Ooooh, that sounds so good right now. I better go take a cold shower!

bizlawchik 07-06-2006 10:27 AM

Katie, I forgot the lime! Sounds yummy! I think I need to defrost a steak tonight.

deetsmom 07-06-2006 01:03 PM

Theres a recipe on te thread way back about a layered mexican dip, its to die for...I make it for guests and it always gets inhaled...

green0923 07-06-2006 02:36 PM

Thanks, Katie and deets! You guys always come through!

TracyC 07-06-2006 06:40 PM

I make program-friendly chili with no salt added canned tomatoes (Kroger and Wal-mart have store brands that are cheaper than most name brands), loads of chopped onions, peppers and garlic, and browned super-lean ground beef. I even rinse the beef under hot water to remove more fat. This works fine if you are adding it to chili, spaghetti sauce or taco meat.

A good mix is two cans of tomatoes, a can of no salt added tomato sauce, a tablespoon of chili powder, a teaspoon each of oregano and cumin, and salt, pepper and hot sauce to taste. Start out with browning a chopped onion and a green pepper in a skillet, dumping the veggies into a pot, browning the beef (I use 1/2-1 lb of 96% lean) in the skillet, rinse or drain the beef, add to the pot. Then throw in the tomatoes, sauce and spices. I don't care for beans, but you can add them if you like them, near the end of cooking. I usually let the chili simmer for 45 min to an hour.

This is not a precise recipe---just an estimate of the ingredients I use. You can serve the chili with some shredded "light" cheese, or with a small amount of pasta or brown rice. I prefer mine "straight."

I'm sure your party will be great.

green0923 07-07-2006 08:24 AM

Thanks, Tracy!

Gamababa3 07-07-2006 10:54 PM

So Erin what did you end up bringing? I usually make a taco salad also. I use a little of the Taco Bell taco sauce to add to my meat after it's browned and of couse Mrs Dash SouthWest seasonings and cumin. Then I just add tomatoes, green onions to the salad mix and then add my meat. Oh and some low cal cheese. Very tasty.