Old 06-20-2006, 03:52 PM   #1  

Default Newbie - Frustrated

Hi everyone!!!!!!!
Have been reading all your posts and was so excited to think I would be joining you but had the wind taken out of my sails !!! I knew that the program was expensive from reading some of the other threads but fell out of my chair when the counselour gave me my total $1,097 just for the program, lites are not included. My dream would be to lose 80 lbs but even losing 20lbs was $600, $ 11 a week is the breakdown! Are all centers pricing different? From what I read, alot of you paid $3 - 6 per week. Is my center way off? I am so bummed cause there is no way I can afford that. Plus I have to drive over an hour to the center and with gas prices these days!

Thinking of trying to do this on my own, a friend is a paying member on the gold plan and she gave me her book but have no idea what plan I should be on. But I honestly feel quilty about it one minute and not so guilty the next just cause I so bad want this! Looking for some guidance!

Thank You!!!
Kelly
Jakobsmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 04:15 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 174.2/?/140

Height: 5'2''

When i joined my center was charging $9 per week which is what i paid but now its $11 per week. I've also heard of people paying $3-$4 and i wish i had that deal but i'm paid up and dont plan on buying more weeks. 1 hr away is really far, i dont think i would have done that. the bars are alot more expensive then the weeks they are about $17 per box and you need 2 boxes a week but if you buy it bulk i think its like $14.50 per box. Alot of people are doing it on their own so maybe they can give you some advice. I'm on the gold plan, i'm not experienced enough with the plans to tell you if its the right 1 for you but i'm sure you will get alot of help from this site. Welcome!!
Debbie24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 04:16 PM   #3  
Katie

Height: 5'1

Try going to laweightloss.com and putting in your zip code. You often find internet specials. I think that $11.00 a week is insane. Also, if your friend is already a paying member, have her ask about friends and family specials. I got in for a whole year under my mom for $200.00. If none if this works, make an appointment with the manager and explain to her that you cannot afford $1000.00 and you wonder if there are other options available. They often have other less expensive plans. Good luck!!!
Repo girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 04:18 PM   #4  
Katie

Height: 5'1

You also do no have to eat the bars. If you tell that you do not want to, they will give you an all food plan. That is another big way to save money.
Repo girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 04:18 PM   #5  

Kelly if you want you can email me at debbie2881 at bellsouth dot net and i can give you some more info.
Old 06-20-2006, 08:52 PM   #6  
My 3 grandkids & myself

S/C/G: 228.4/191/145

Kelly I live in Calif and my center just had a special last week that you can join for half off the $9 a week price. My Daug and a friend joined. I'm with you that is way to expensive. Maybe you can ask your center when they will be having any specials. Good luck to you and welcome.

Last edited by Gamababa3; 06-20-2006 at 09:30 PM.
Gamababa3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 09:28 PM   #7  

Height: 5'9"

I joined the week after Christmas 2005 and it was only $3.00/wk. I know it is a long way off, but maybe you can do it on your own until then. Heck you never know, maybe you will lose enough on your own and then you would not have to pay.
Bogieboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 12:07 AM   #8  

Like Boogiebo (sorry if i wrote it wrong) -- I joined 12/31/05 and paid $3 for the weeks .. I was going to join last summer but couldnt afford the $7 / or even the $5 rate for so many weeks.

In March I added another 20 weeks to pay me through October / November because it was $4.50 a week. I think the kyey is to get in when its low and purchase more as needed. I have so much to loose I can easily be there for a year +, possibly 2 . . but thats okay, I think I will keep it off that way

With weight watchers, paying the $13/week just killed me -- and I would play games by rejoining to save my weeks, skip a week here, etc. I needed what LAWL provides

I hope the cost goes down soon -- I havnt seen it at $11 yet .. yikes!
Sue1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 01:15 AM   #9  
Losing the Weight!

I'm paying $7 a week and to lose 70 pounds is $700. I'm paying monthly at 48.75 per month, and they zap it right out of my bank. I know our center had a $4 per week special, but I'd already signed up.
StargazerJMK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 12:25 PM   #10  

How come you guys have to buy more weeks? in my contract when i signed up it says that they will take me to my goal weight even if it takes longer than what they said it would. When i signed up i needed to lose 32lbs so thats 16 weeks and it took me an extra week to get to 140 so i didnt have to pay for that extra week and i changed my goal from 140 to 125 and i had to buy 7 weeks to extend my goal but if i dont get to 125 and my weeks are finished i dont have to buy anymore unless i want to change my goal again. is that how your program works?
Old 06-21-2006, 12:29 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 199/191/179

Height: 5' 5-1/2"

Debbie - Mine says that too. But with stipulations. It says:

If you fail to lose 68 lbs in 34 weeks, LAWL will continue your program until you have lost the amount of weight indicated - WITHOUT ADDTIONAL CHARGE FOR OUR SERVICES. ...
This guarantee is valid under the following conditions:
I will follow LA Weight Loss Centers program and will...
Visit center at least 3x weekly
Only consume foods for all meals as directed by company
follow personalized counseling as instructed
take service weeks consecutively
consume LA Nutritional bars and shakes as directed by the company.
dolphn545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 12:30 PM   #12  

Joan you are paying monthly?? My center won't do that for me. They said I would have to pay for 52 weeks at least upfront base don $9 per week. If they did do monthly I would have signed up.
Karla B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 11:15 PM   #13  
slowlyshrinking

Another option is to set a higher goal weight - then you can either add weeks when they are on sale, or if you get a good start, continue on your own. But I also know that many people are doing it on their own, so that's an option, as well! Good luck with your decision. I paid $11 a week for the first 66 pounds, then only $7.50 for the next 55. But for me, it is the only program that has really worked, so I figure, it's worth it.
slowlyshrinking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 02:47 PM   #14  
Losing the Weight!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karla B
Joan you are paying monthly?? My center won't do that for me. They said I would have to pay for 52 weeks at least upfront base don $9 per week. If they did do monthly I would have signed up.
Karla, yep. I pay 47.00 per month and 1.75 so that the can direct withdraw it from my checking account. Thats why I DID sign up. It was more affordable that way.

Also, it is my understanding that this takes me through my Stablization and Maintenance.
StargazerJMK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 04:00 PM   #15  
My 3 grandkids & myself

S/C/G: 228.4/191/145

I joined to reach a first goal to 180, 48.40 lbs by June 18th. My center has been great and has worked with me to help me get to my 180 with out charging me more, since I new I wasn't and didn't get to my first goal. When I do get there then I will buy more weeks to get to 145 @ $5 a week. I did it that way because it was cheaper for me at the time then pay for all the weeks up front.
Gamababa3 is offline   Reply With Quote