Old 06-17-2006, 11:11 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 199/191/179

Height: 5' 5-1/2"

Default Small Changes Break Big Habits

This is something I got from LAWL today -- thought I'd share.

Behavior

There are some very simple changes you can make in your behavior that can help you drop the weight and keep it off.

Don't be distracted -- If you are doing another activity while eating, you may end up consuming more food than you intended. Working on the computer, driving in the car, and watching television are often distraction traps! Make mealtime for eating and for enjoying good food and good company.

Out of Sight, out of mind -- Keep the tempting junk foods or the "weakness" foods out of the house. Do not do your grovery shopping on an empty stomach, and be sure to make a list so you will be less inclined to pick up the not-so-healthy treats.

Develop Awareness -- You cannot make a change until you know what needs to be changed. Keeping a diary is a helpful way to keep track of your eating habits and uncover the potentially negative eating behaviors you may have.

Celebrate Life -- Reward yourself and acknowledge your accomplishments. Avoid using food as a reward and begin seeking other ways of attaining pleasure in your life. Focus on a hobby, or enjoy some quality time alone or with friends.

Forgive yourself -- Occasionally you may overeat or overindulge. Don't beat yourself up for this; a self-deprecating attitude may cause you to ditch your healthy lifestyle efforts. By staying positive and realizing that tomorrow is a new day, you will be able to maintain healthy eating habits long-term, as well as bolster your self-esteem.

Visualize a Stop Sign - Whenever you hear yourself silently criticizing your weight loss efforts or when engaging in "all or nothing" thinking, take a minute to visualize a stop sign in your head, causing all negative thoughts to come to an immediate halt. If you find it helpful, put a picture of it stop sign over the mirror, or next to the scale, any place where you may be prone to chastice yourself.

Practice Self Acceptance -- Regardless of your weight, you should always be your number ONE fan. If you like yourself, you increase your changes of being successful in whatever you hope to accomplish.

FOOD FOR THOUGHT:
If none of the above habits apply to you, look through your diary, and try to be even more diligent in recording your foods. There may be a habit lurking that you hadn't noticed yet!

REFLECTION:
Many of the solutions given throughout the program are behavior modification techniques. Weight loss efforts can have higher levels of long-term success when clients practice well-balanced nutrition along with behavior modification. Negative behaviors can be modified, and changed into healthy behaviors, the key, however, is to start by self-monitoring. You have made the commitment to a healthy lifestyle. Now is the time to take the next step, by tackling not only what you eat, but why you eat.
dolphn545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 11:18 AM   #2  
Back-on-track!

S/C/G: 295.2/280.0/180

Height: 5'3

I think this proves why these boards are so important to some of us. It's impossible not to stay positive when talking to each other. Look how we call each other goddesses, sweet, adorable, busy, excited, motivated and wonderful. These are words we use over and over to describe each other, and eventually we all start using the words to describe ourselves.

Practicing self acceptance is a lot easier around here.
Tomkyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 11:31 AM   #3  
Katie

Height: 5'1

Thanks for that, both of you. I needed to hear it today.
Repo girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 12:25 PM   #4  
Getting to Goal in 2006

S/C/G: 185/182.6/155

Height: 5'6"

Thanks Dolphn!!! I especially like the "Celebrate Life" philosophy. Thanks for passing it on to those of us, who don't go to the centers. Have a great day!

Erin
azgal32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 12:30 PM   #5  
Getting to Goal in 2006

S/C/G: 185/182.6/155

Height: 5'6"

Repo girl: I've been thinking about you! Are you going to your reunion today? How exciting!!! What did you decide to wear afterall?

Erin
azgal32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 01:57 PM   #6  
Back-on-track!

S/C/G: 295.2/280.0/180

Height: 5'3

Repo Girl- It's Katie right? I've kind of had to infer that from other people. I've been thinking about you today too. I hope your renunion goes well. Enjoy the night for nothing more than it is, a reunion of people who have been apart for a very long time. Don't let it mean any more than that and you'll have fun. Enjoy yourself!
Tomkyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 10:38 AM   #7  
Katie

Height: 5'1

Sherry- I love this. I am going to put it in my family newsletter this week.
Repo girl is offline   Reply With Quote