Old 06-11-2006, 11:47 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 225/218

Default Newbie - Help on diet choices

Hello,

I am a newbie! I am torn between following the Weight Watchers program or LA Weight Loss. I have followed WW in the past, and was successful. Although, I gained it all back and more. I want something quicker. What I like about the LA Weight Loss are the supplements. I am not sure how well they work. I have heard that LAWL is expensive, and with two children in college and another close to entering, I really don't have a lot of extra spending cash. Can someone please help me? I am really disgusted with myself.

dmc829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 11:52 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

My vote is for programs that allow you to eat from the grocery stores. I believe that WW and calorie counting do the best job of teaching you to eat in a way that will help you get slim and stay there.
Whatever you decide to do, there's lots of help and support right here at 3fc. You've found a good place to come and ask questions. Welcome!
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 11:57 AM   #3  

Thank you so much for the warm welcome. I agree with you regarding "real food". With a family of five plus an elderly mother that I am sole caretaker of, it is hard to cook for them and then cook something different for me. I also found that with some diet foods, I get severe headaches or I break out into a rash. Therefore, it further reduces my diet selections. Congratulations on your weight loss. Keep up the good work.
Old 06-11-2006, 12:24 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 275/275/175

I was on LA Weight Loss and lost 60 of the 100 pounds I was shooting for. I did not finish the program and gained back all plus some. It's very expensive. You eat food from the grocery store with LA weight loss it teaches you more of the portions control and combinations of the right food groups (unless they have changed their format since I went) But they also have protein bars they want you to buy and that's where the majority of the cost was for me. Also they have suppliments that I never bought due to contraindications with my health at the time.
DTN5264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 12:34 PM   #5  

Thank you DTN5264. My friend has lost over 42 pounds. She looks terriffic, but a lot of her cost was due to the supplements (xcel, EFA, and the bars). Truthfully, I can't afford an expensive program. I am leaning toward WW and adding exercise and water.

Good luck to you.
Old 06-12-2006, 04:06 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

I would like to add that the LAWL supplements don't really do anything that is worth the cost. The fat burners/carb blockers and all those other things are completely unnecessary...and if pills really worked, then we would all be thin.
The reason that LAWL works, is because you are eating less, and eating better foods. This is the same reason that Weight Watchers works, or calorie counting, or a lot of the other plans.
If you are tossing up these two plans as favorites, then I would guess that it is because you like the accountability of going in for a weigh in. If that is the case, and cost is a concern for you, then I would start with Weight Watchers. They are both plans that give good results-but the cost of WW is less, and you mentioned that the supplements were something drawing you to LAWL-and I am here to tell you, that they don't do much, if anything. It is the food plan-not the supplements-that gives results.

Aphil
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 04:10 PM   #7  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

Don't diet!!! Just eat REAL food and you'll lose weight good luck!
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 05:38 PM   #8  

Thank you all for the encouragement. Congratulations on your successes. I have decided to follow WW. I will let you know how it goes. Aphil, congratulations on your 3rd! I have three too. Children are wonderful!