Old 06-08-2006, 11:33 AM   #1  

Height: 5ft 4in

Default Diet plan help

I would love to do something like Nutrisystem but I can not afford it. I would love anyones opinion on this:

Having a good healthy breakfast (cereal and fruit) and for lunch and dinner getting those Lean Cuisine meals or something simmilar. Between each meal having a 100 - 150 snack (fruit or something).

I think that would be a bit cheaper than Nutrisystem and I could pay for it weekly when I get groceries.

My issue is I have 2 young daughters (4 1/2 and 1 1/2) and (with Nutrisystem or Lean Cuisine) I do not want them having body image issues because they see me eating "diet food". (they are luckily thin and very active) I don't know how to explain why mommy gets to eat something different for 2 months. I don't talk about losing weight or dieting infront of them. My dh and I just very worried about what it would do to them.

Thanks!
adaem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 12:06 PM   #2  

I think for me, I have 15 year old twin daughters, very cute and weight is not an issue for either of them at this time. I am currently doing Jenny Craig and they see what I eat everyday. They have seen be loose this weight and seen the changes that have come along with the weight loss. I excersise 5 to 6 days a week and I am just living a general healthy life style. I am not on a diet, I am doing a life style change bad eatting habits exchanged for healthly eatting habits. I have learned portion control, eatting more vege's and fruit! I hope my daughters pick up on all of this and use it in their life's as well and never have weight issues, because they have learned the proper way to eat and stay healthy. I don't think it needs to be a topic of conversation with your girls unless they ask about it. Then you tell them you are getting healthy! If your worried about eatting different foods, I would consider going for a good cook book where the whole family can eat together. There are scads of good recipes on the internet. OK, I'll get off my soap box now.

You don't have to pay a lot of money to loss weight! I think the most important thing is to find something that works well for you and stick to it like glue! Keep a good and positive attitude and you can and will lose the weight!

Good luck to you in your future weight loss goals! I wish you the very best and all the success you can have!
HarleyMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 01:00 PM   #3  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

I totally agree with Harleymom!!! I think the goal is not to be on a "diet" but to make healthy lifestyle changes and that's GREAT for your kids to see!

My 2 year old son eats yogurt, unsweetened cereal, and fruit for breakfast, pretends to do pilates with me, and loves our jogs around the neighborhood. It's a part of our lifestyle to be healthy and I'm happy to pass those things on to him! I want to help him to feel good about himself and his choices.

I grew up in a home where I saw my mom come on and off jenny craig, and a boatload of various fad diets... I saw her get skinny for a couple months and then balloon right back up again, and guess what?! When I first decided I needed to lose weight I did it the SAME WAY because I didn't know what being healthy was! We grew up on potato chips and casserole and I plan on giving my children the nutritional foundation I never had as a kid! It's such a great opportunity to show your girls how important it is to take care of their bodies!
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 03:27 PM   #4  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

I completely agree with the others. IMO, you should be cooking wholesom, healthy meals for your family anyway. Just because they may not have a weight problem doesn't mean they should be able to eat junk. You should all be able to enjoy meals together. I cook chicken and veggies for my boyfriend and me every evening, but he doesn't need to lose weight. I just want him to be healthy I never eat anything different from what I give him--sure, he may add more condiments to a burger or more cheese to his tacos, but it's still all the same stuff in general.

Also, as others have pointed out, whatever you choose to do, you should be able to stick with for life, not just for 2 months or so until you lose the weight. Otherwise, you'll likely gain it all back

The only other thing I would caution you on in regard to the Lean Cuisine (or whatever brand) frozen meals is the high sodium content. I currently eat SmartOnes meals, and the ones I have are pretty small since they are the "Truth About Carbs" line, so just chicken and veggies, but they have 800mg of sodium each I would think a bigger meal might have even more. So 2 of those meals a day would be at least 2/3 of your sodium for the day. No use getting skinny if you'll have a heart attack along the way I'm sure some meals are better--just something to keep an eye on.
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 06:36 PM   #5  

My issue is I have 2 young daughters (4 1/2 and 1 1/2) and (with Nutrisystem or Lean Cuisine) I do not want them having body image issues because they see me eating "diet food". (they are luckily thin and very active) I don't know how to explain why mommy gets to eat something different for 2 months. I don't talk about losing weight or dieting infront of them.

I felt the same way, what I ended up doing is I would buy the lean cuisine or healthy choices that were similiar to what I made the rest of the family and then I would take it out of the plate it came on and put it on a regular plate. It still look a little different but they hardly ever noticed. One example is lasagna. When I made lasagna for the family (very fattening) I would have a WW lasagna and I would just slide it on my plate.

Mary
mgreen95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 08:59 PM   #6  

Height: 5ft 4in

Thank you all for your wonderful advice! I think what I need to do is concentrate on protions and adding veggies to things and just eating healthyer!!

Thanks again!!!
adaem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 09:03 PM   #7  
Simple is Good!

S/C/G: 345/323.6/299

Height: 5'6"

I love the NS foods...I just started this week. There are a lot of people who don't buy the food and still follow the NS plan, including weighing in, etc, on the site. Here's a forum of people who make NS type foods at home.

I bought my NS food off of ebay for about 1/3rd of the cost! Just shop around. Also, on the NS board, there are people who can help you out with food and advice.

It's a wonderful program. I wholeheartedly recommend it.

Also, you can try a calorie counting program like s p a r k p e o p l e .com. Great program, and it's free!! It's more than a diary, it's a whole program.

Good luck whatever you try!
Freedom&Light is offline   Reply With Quote