Old 03-14-2006, 03:51 PM   #1  
lonnie

S/C/G: 210/208/145

Question picky eater

So can any body tell how somebody that is a picky eater can go on a diet.
I dont eat anything that has a weird name or that even looks weird. No chineese, Mexican or italian, ( well spegetti i guess) I am a meat and potatos kinda of gal and i know that, that is why i have all this fat now. I only like pork chops or hambuger you no the basics. I dont eat ANYTHING at all that has onions or peppers in it, and you can just hang up the lean cusine that make sme want to hurl just looking at the picture. So what can I do how do you diet when you don't like anything?
yalondah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 04:23 PM   #2  
Melissa

S/C/G: TBA/TBA/165

Height: 5'7''

You've just got to learn how to make those foods you love healthier. Like try baking things instead of frying, dont cook with lard, butter or oils. I consider myself to be a picky eater too, but obviously not as picky as you LOL! I use the slimfast plan and when it comes to dinner I have whatever it is that I make them for dinner I just use portion control and moderation. For instance, tonight we are having chicken, mashed potatoes and corn. I'll cook my chicken(boneless, skinless, breadingless breast) in my george forman grill instead of frying it, I'll have a 1/2 C potatoes with salsa (yes I know you wont like that) and no butter on my corn. I'll also have a salad on the side with light dressing. I've even had Hamburger Helper this way but you dont get alot of it!

You can do it with the foods you like, its all about finding a new way to prepare them...the healthier way! Ya never know you just might like some of those things you dont think you do!

The other option is to up that exercise!

Good luck to you!
Hun.e.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 06:20 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

I agree-the first thing you need to do is to learn how to make the foods you DO like healthier-if you like hamburger-get extra lean instead of regular-it has a lot less fat. Bake or grill pork chops instead of flour dipping them and frying. Bake your potatoes instead of frying them.
The second thing you need to do is to TRY NEW FOODS. Make a goal to try one new thing each week. A lot of picky eaters "assume" they don't like something, or won't like something-and they haven't even tried it yet. I am not saying to try something way out of your comfort zone at first-like tofu or anything, but start small.
Take apples, for instance. Most everyone has had red delicious or yellow delicious apples in their lifetime. They are "average" apples. Try a new variety of apples instead-gala and empire have a wonderful, slightly different flavor. The empire apples are a little more tart and crisper than red delicious, for instance. If you are afraid of trying something new-then go for something a little familiar to you-but a "little different", like this example.
People who are used to whole milk for instance, usually cannot switch to skim/nonfat milk without a big "UGH!" The key is to switch over slowly to 2% for a while, then 1% for a while, and once they are used to that they can go to skim without a problem. It is just slowly getting used to going from full-fat to nonfat.
You can learn to enjoy new foods if you go slowly and try things a little at a time. Going from pizza and burgers to enjoying grilled chicken and fresh fruit at meals doesn't happen overnight.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 06:40 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 221.2/186.4/170

You sound like me, at least how i used to be. Do you like any fruit and veggies, other than potatos? Focus on those foods because they are lower calorie. Enjoy 1 pork chop and a small serving of potatoes and lots of carrotts or green beans, etc. Try to keep your portions smaller on the higher calorie foods. Also try fresh veggies, they are so much better tasting than frozen or canned.
Ciarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 10:32 PM   #5  

Get yourself a calorie book and count calories. It will help you be aware of how much you are eating and you may find that you can trade high calorie fries for pre-packaged no-sugar-addedvapple sauce for variety and fewer calories.

Surely you like a few things other than pork chops, hamburgers and potatoes. What about cereal?

Good luck. Try new things ... you'll be surprised at what you might like.
Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 11:05 PM   #6  
Melissa

S/C/G: TBA/TBA/165

Height: 5'7''

I definetly agree with trying new things...I used to say I hated so many different foods but in reality I was just too afraid to try. Like peppers...now yellow peppers are one of my favorite foods! Like I tell my kids...a tasting bite, and if you dont like it thats okay, but you at least have to try!
Hun.e.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 08:38 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I'm with Steph. If you count calories, you can eat whatever you want. You just have to add it in.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 09:02 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciarra
You sound like me, at least how i used to be. Do you like any fruit and veggies, other than potatos? Focus on those foods because they are lower calorie. Enjoy 1 pork chop and a small serving of potatoes and lots of carrotts or green beans, etc. Try to keep your portions smaller on the higher calorie foods. Also try fresh veggies, they are so much better tasting than frozen or canned.
I agree. I grew up with my parents always buying canned vegetables-and as an adult, I prefer fresh if possible, and if they are not-then I prefer frozen-which taste fresher than canned. There are also many different ways of preparing every fruit or vegetable-and you may find that you like it one way, but not another. (For instance-I can't sit and eat a raw tomato, but I love them cooked in vegetable soup, spaghetti sauce, stuffed peppers, etc.)
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 11:05 AM   #9  
lonnie

S/C/G: 210/208/145

I do like other foods besides pork chops hamburger and potatos that was just an example of the types of food i do eat. I have tried peppers and onions and i can't stand them. I didn't even know that they had a calorie counting book I always wandered how to actually count every calorie you eat. thank you all for your advise I will have to get that book. I guess I need to go to the book store there are a bunch of books i need to get.
yalondah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 11:10 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I use fitday.com
It's free and right here on the internet. I love the internet.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 10:59 PM   #11  

Actually, I just found there's a calorie counter right her on 3FC.
Step is offline   Reply With Quote