Old 03-13-2006, 03:54 PM   #16  
Katie

Height: 5'1

Actually, since getting my IUD, the flow is heavier. The only downside. Good to see you Karen!
Repo girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 04:09 PM   #17  
No description available.

There are 2 kinds of IUDs available in the US.

1) THe Mirena is good for 5 years. It has progesterone in it which suppresses cycles. Spotting is normal for the first several months, but the longer it is in the less most women bleed. The newest info is that this method is MORE effective than a tubal ligation (getting your tubes tied).

2) The Paragard is made out of copper and is good for ten years (who are we kidding...it is probably just fine longer than that, but that's what the company says). No hormones. You cycle regularly (whatever your "regular" is)but many women report heavier crampier periods...although ibuprofen helps quite a bit.

The Nuvaring has similar hormones to most standard birth control pills. An off-label use is to wear one continuously (That is for about 30 days--each ring contains about 32 days of hormone--and then replace it with a new one, skipping the hormone free week and thus your menses. Many women suppress their cycles this way. Like with the pill Seasonale. But it is not marketed this way (yet!)

Ortho Evra Patch is similar to most birth control pills. Like pills and the Nuvaring, you can skip the hormone free week and go into continuous cycling.

Obviously, your mileage may vary and I encourage you to speak with your gyn provider. Certified nurse midwives and nurse practitioners prescribe more birth control in the US than physicians do. Find one near you today!
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 04:29 PM   #18  
Let's try this again . .

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalChic
I'm ok, but I feel really stupid now...

Don't feel stupid. I've been reading this thread all morning and it took me hours to figure it out
juliemarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 06:05 PM   #19  
Megan

S/C/G: 196/188/160

I am on seasonale and it is amazing. I have been on it for over a year. I will admit the first couple packs were interesting. The first time I was on it I felt like I was prego. And I kept getting cravings. All I wanted morning, noon and night was Mexican food. I will admit it was a big factor in my weight gain. But I think had I known the side effects I would have been more careful. The first few packs I couldnt make it through the 12 weeks. I would usually get AF around the 8th week. But I was told that was normal. By the 3 pack *9 months later* I was making it through 12 weeks. I love this pill and hope I dont have to change. Of course every now and then I will get a little break through bleeding which is totally normal. But I can also go 2 or 3 days without taking it before I get some break through. I know thats not safe but we all miss a day every now and then.
30lbsby22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 08:46 AM   #20  

Height: 5' 4"

Slimmerkim: I think what everyone here is trying to tell you is that everyone is different and there are many different options for birth control. You just need to sit down with your doctor and find the right one for you!

Good Luck!
MetalChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 09:16 AM   #21  
banned

S/C/G: 203/136/133

Funny we're ranting on this...I always am up the week AFTER my period and this month it seems the SECOND I put the first two pills in my mouth, I AM UP TWO POUNDS! I swear, I have been eating better than ever (I havent even eaten the extra OP foods I was supposed to have gained into the program for the past week) and now this. It never ends. Its finally nice enough for us to walk outside (my friend and I go on a really hilly trail with my jogger while the other kids are in school, like 1+ hrs a few times per week) and I am going to start today, god only knows what the scale will torture me with tomorrow for WI...maybe Ill just go on Friday instead...
deetsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 12:37 PM   #22  

Quote:
Originally Posted by marbear
If you are considering the patch, it isn't considered effective past the weight of 192 according to my doctor. I was only 3 lbs under that weight when it was suggested to me, and I was like "HECK NO." 3 lbs between me and a big surprise...I'll use something else. I'm considering the IUD if I can't make DH get a vasectomy.
Wow, I didn't know this. I've been on the patch for 2 years, and have not had a problem with it... lol no little ones running around. I've been well over 192 lbs since being on the patch, and I was never warned about this.

I guess I'll be bringing this up with my dr when I see her the week.

I love being on the patch. I was really bad with the pill because I was incosistent with when I took it. Maybe, as a result of this, I stopped getting my periods, which was pretty scary. I've had no problems with this since the patch, and I'm like clockwork now. I'm a big fan of the patch!
Linds81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 01:24 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 180/160/135

I have a copper iud... Have had it for 7 mths, first month sucked... 2,3,4 mth great 5 mth, was doubled over in pain. My doc said it was just "an anomaly."
Been great since then, and I have to admit that not having to worry about taking a pill or getting a shot is a big turn on for me!
As far as Depo goes, I was on it for 2 years. No one ever warned me about how moody it could make you, I gained 20 lbs on it, and had no sex drive.
Prob TMI, just a warning.
Good luck with what you choose!
Amber
austinmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 01:28 PM   #24  
Katie

Height: 5'1

No sex drive? How do we slip these shots to men? Think they would notice if we jabbed them in the butt with a shot needle while they were sleeping? You could always blame it on a spider or big mosquito, right?
Repo girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 01:56 PM   #25  
On stabilization

Height: 5'5

Shennie!!!!!! Welcome back, Girl!
hkychik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 02:55 PM   #26  

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkychik
Shennie!!!!!! Welcome back, Girl!
I thought the same thing, but the date of her post was actually 3/13...sad...where is our old friend?
stiesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 03:01 PM   #27  
On stabilization

Height: 5'5

ohhhhh good catch! I guess I blew that one in my excitment to see Shennie's name up there!

Sheeeeeeeeeeeeennnnnnnnniiiiiiiiiiieeeeeeeeeee - Wherrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre arrrrrrrrrrrrre youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu?
hkychik is offline   Reply With Quote