Old 02-24-2006, 12:46 PM   #1  

Height: 5'3

Default clear skin with different diets

Hello everyone. I'm 24 but still break out often. I did atkins for a month and had really clear skin. I thought it was all the water i was drinking bc i didnt think all the fat and butter would be good for oily skin. However, now that I'm calorie counting i'm breaking out more. I'm still drinking lots of water, if not more. I'm not eating much chocolate, if any. Is it the sugar? carbs in general? What should I limit for better skin?

Thanks for any advice.
Shawna
shawnamadonna1013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 01:34 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

I have suffered from adult acne since I was about 18 years old. (I am now 30.) I never had anything but the occasional zit during puberty-it all happened after I reached adulthood.

Honestly, I don't find that any certain food makes you break out. The old wive's tales that say chocolate and other foods give you pimples is really just an old wive's tale. The only thing as far as food or drink that can help is drinking a lot of water.

Rather than focusing on your diet (for the acne!!!) you really need to pay more attention to your daily routine as far as acne treatment.
Here are my suggestions:

-clean your sheets/pillowcases every week

-wear your hair in a loose ponytail to bed, or with a barrette in the top, or something like that when you sleep-depending on your haircut. If your hair is all loose and you sleep on it all night pressed against your face-you are basically laying your face against the scalp oils/hair conditioner/hair products all night.

-Have you changed anything recently in your skin routine? A change in hair products, makeup, face wash, hairspray, and so forth can affect your skin.

-Wear only oil free foundation makeup/powder-and replace them often. Do not wear foundation that has been sitting in your makeup bag for a year.

-Do your face routine (cleansing, etc.) twice a day-morning and night. Not just once a day, and not more than the recommended twice. You don't want to go to bed with makeup on your face, but you don't want to overwash either. Two times a day is perfect.

-Use cleansers meant for acne prone skin, but use ones that are gentle-personally, I think strong products like 10-0-Six, Clean & Clear, and a lot of those are so strong they can cause more damage. I personally recommend the following systems:
-Phisoderm products
-Basis
-Neutrogena
-My absolute #1 recommendation is Proactiv Solution (a 3 step routine-yes, the infomercial one!) that you can get online. The "fakes" of this that you can now get at drugstores are NOT the same. I have used Proactiv successfully for about 8 years now, and it is all I will ever use.

Also-another option is if you currently take birth control pills, is to discuss with your doctor your choice, because there are a couple varieties that are known to help with acne as a side effect. I have taken Ortho-TriCyclen in the past, and it helped a bit with "monthly" breakouts.

Good luck to you,
Aphil
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 02:22 PM   #3  

I would go see a dermatologist and see if they know of something in your diet or better yet give you medicine to make it go away. It doesnt sound like you should be breaking out from your diet so it may just be your skin. Hopefully a derm. could help
VelVeeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 03:33 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

If you do decide to go to a dermatologist, I hope it works for you. I went to a dermatologist and was put on a couple different prescription medications, (such as Retin-A, etc.) and they actually made my skin worse-they were way too strong for my skin. They dried up the pimples-but in the process they destroyed pretty much the rest of my skin. (Red, dry, flaky, burning...)
A lot of the helpful hints that I mentioned above though-the changing of pillowcases, wearing your hair off your face when you go to bed, etc. actually came from my former dermatologist though-they were all on a sheet I got at the doctor's office when I went for my inital consultation.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 01:04 AM   #5  

Height: 5'3

thanks guys. I have been to too many dermatologists to count. I'm dealing with it ok now, but atkins was definitely helping. I'm going to try to cut out more carbs and add more protein, but I will try to wear my hair in a ponytail when i sleep.

best of luck, shawna
shawnamadonna1013 is offline   Reply With Quote