Old 01-17-2006, 08:52 AM   #16  
Running Wild

so what is the average amount of carbs (not percentage) you guys are taking in per day?
JustJuneBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 09:51 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I try for 40% of calories from carbs. I said I try. It's easier said than done. I've heard good results from 40-60 %.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 09:59 AM   #18  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJuneBug
so what is the average amount of carbs (not percentage) you guys are taking in per day?
You really have to go by percentage because everyone is at a different calorie level. For example, 200g of carbs on my 1900-calorie diet would be WAY different from 200g of carbs on a 1200-calorie diet. In any case, the number (be it grams or percentage) is practically irrelevant--what counts is calories in vs. calories out. Limiting your carbohydrate intake is not magically (or at least, not healthfully) going to make you lose weight. "Good" (complex) carbohydrates contain many nutrients we NEED to survive.

The ones you should avoid are those that are extremely processed--white flour, white pasta, white rice, white bread (noticing a trend?), refined sugar, etc. However, whole-grain products and natural sugars (such as those found in low-fat dairy, fruits, and veggies) are very healthy for your body and don't typically need to be limited as long as you are within your caloric intake range (unless you have been told otherwise by a doctor for diabetes or any other special condition). Some people try to avoid carbs because they trigger the desire to eat MORE carbs, but if this isn't the case for you, then I wouldn't worry about it.

I try to follow the American Heart Association guidelines. They suggest 4+ fruits and 4+ veggies each day in addition to AT LEAST 6 servings of whole grains. What they stress is to keep your fat intake to 30% or less (with 10% or less coming from saturated fats). Of course, I can't find it now, but I know I have also read from the AHA that they recommend that you keep your protein intake to 20-30% of your total, and that if you lower your protein or fat intake, you should INCREASE your carbs to compensate, NOT increase your protein.

From the AHA website (available at http://www.americanheart.org/present...entifier=11234):
Quote:
Most Americans already eat more protein than their bodies need. And eating too much protein can increase health risks. High-protein animal foods are usually also high in saturated fat. Eating large amounts of high-fat foods for a sustained period raises the risk of coronary heart disease, diabetes, stroke and several types of cancer. People who can't use excess protein effectively may be at higher risk of kidney and liver disorders, and osteoporosis.
Quote:
High-protein diets don't provide some essential vitamins, minerals, fiber and other nutritional elements. A high-carbohydrate diet that includes fruits, vegetables, nonfat dairy products and whole grains also has been shown to reduce blood pressure. Thus, limiting these foods may raise blood pressure by reducing the intake of calcium, potassium and magnesium while simultaneously increasing sodium intake.
I know no one here really said they were on a low-carb or high-protein diet, but just in asking how many carbs are good, it's apparent that the Atkin's-type hype is far too widespread, IMO
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 10:03 AM   #19  
Running Wild

oh i am very aware of the bad carbs. i dont eat those and havent in forever. every once in a while i allow myself a small fry or a tortilla or two (living in Texas you cant get by that really)...i was just curious what most people had in their diets.

i am not trying (persay) to lose weight anymore, but if it happens so be it..there are a few stray pounds i wouldnt be sad to see go. the weight i gained from my thyroid going MIA was lost by lots of exercise and eating right. And the meds helped too, and i have to be on those the rest of my life but i have gotten use to it somewhat.
Old 01-17-2006, 10:05 AM   #20  
Running Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanB
I try for 40% of calories from carbs. I said I try. It's easier said than done. I've heard good results from 40-60 %.
going back on fitday and looking at my days (which have only been a few since i just started), my % is anywhere from 48 - 58%
Old 01-17-2006, 10:36 AM   #21  

So you're probably doing just fine.
You'll hear lots of warnings about avoiding 'too high' protein but I can't find anyone to tell me for sure just what 'too high' is. BFL recommends 40% of calories as do lots of the Ladies Who Lift. I can do it, I have done it and have no adverse effects. And judging by how awesome some of those Ladies Who Lift are .... they're not suffering either.
Old 01-17-2006, 10:41 AM   #22  
Running Wild

i actually have a hard time getting protein % over carb %...but doing fine keeping the bad fat % under control thats for sure.

i am surprised at what foods have fat in them? oatmeal? i would never have thought that. and its the plain old oatmeal, not the prepared fancy tasting ones either.. i am going to assume its good fat in there.
Old 01-17-2006, 11:04 AM   #23  

I hope so! I'm always surprised when I put my flaxseed in and see my fat % go up. I have to calm down and remember it's good fat!
I don't think I could do the protein over carbs without protein powder.
I'm going to try to have a "nearly perfect" day food today. I was thinking about starting a thread about it and touching base all day. What do think Junebug? Are ya game?
Old 01-17-2006, 11:22 AM   #24  
Running Wild

i'm game...
Old 01-17-2006, 11:37 AM   #25  

OK great .... I think I started it in Support .... maybe called Challenge the perfect day?
Old 01-17-2006, 12:48 PM   #26  
Running Wild

hmm..where is that? because i just looked from the main site and didnt see any Support forum....
Old 01-17-2006, 12:55 PM   #27  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

try here: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 01:51 PM   #28  
Running Wild

thanks! i must be a bit blind today............