3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Diet Central > General Diet Plans and Questions > LA Weight Loss

LA Weightloss #28

Closed Thread

Old 05-31-2001, 02:49 PM   #31

Default Used to be skinny!

Karen,
Actually it wasn't an issue with him. I think we were just glad to see each other after 20 yrs. I think sometimes we don't look at us as a person, we tend to look at ourselves as a body size. That doesn't change my attitude as far as losing weight, mind you. Our conversation mostly consisted of what had happened in our lives in the last 20 yrs. Can't say I wasn't self conscious though, but it wasn't as big of an issue as I thought!

Bought me some veggie hot dogs! Do they have to grow on you? I hope so. It wasn't exactly the "hot dog" flavor I was expecting but it was tolerable.

I found out this morning the I CAN DO THE JUICE!!!!!!!!!!! Think I'm going to wait until next week when I'm off and focus on my gathering for a yard sale. That will keep me busy and the kids won't be home either so it won't be an issue as to having to cook for them. My husband can fin for himself! I'm a little nervous about it though, but I also can't stand it when someone tells me I can't do anything because of my meds. Drives me crazy.

Today is a better day. Its Day 1 of my period so I'm feeling a little fat, but par for the course!
See you guys later!
Janie

"Those that hope in the Lord shall renew their strength............" Isaiah 40:31
Old 06-02-2001, 11:54 AM   #32

Default Negative Staff--Guarantee?

Hi ya'll!

I've been on the program for about 5 weeks, and have lost over 23 lbs. I have about 65 lbs. still to lose. I'm on the purple plan, use the supplements (including Tri-Max), and do the Express Plan on Mon. & Tues. each week. I don't follow the program EXACTLY as written, but pretty darn close. I might have two starches in a meal, use light salad dressing instead of no-fat, beef two days in a row, etc. I have occasionally had a glass of wine or a small dessert. Anyway, I've continued to lose, and have been very proud that these small exceptions to the program have not (so far) prompted a major binge. I actually feel that being a little lenient is a realistic approach.

Here's my problem--the staff at my center are incredibly picky and negative about everything I do! It seems like they are trained to find something wrong with what I do. Even if I ate exactly according to plan, I'll get a comment like..."OK, so you at chicken and steamed veggies for dinner, but did you weigh them?" or "You know if you __________, it will affect your weight loss." I keep wondering what the deal is. Is it their plan to sign people up and then chase them away with their negativity? Is it some kind of Tough Love? Then, the last time I went in, I tried to explain that I'm actually very proud that I've been able to "live" with the program and still lose weight. Do you know what my counselor replied? "But our guarantee only covers if you follow the program as written." I was flabbergasted. So THAT'S what's up. They'll pick apart my food diary so they don't have to provide additional program time if I don't make it to goal by the date they set?

Has anyone encountered this type of negativity at your center? Has anyone ever called in on the guarantee?

I'm to the point that I hate to go in, but darned if they'll chase me away after I've paid my money (and even paid in advance for $500 worth of LA Lites!) I dread seeing what kind of negative feedback I'll get if I ever do have a plateau or, God forbid, start gaining.

Tami
Old 06-02-2001, 12:06 PM   #33

Hi all

Sharon thanks for the input - I think I will hold off on the juice thing for now and just go back to regular program and see how it works out again

Karen - thank you - you are right although the good thing is i didn't beat myself up as much as I usually do and I went back to weigh in today after being mia for since last Monday and am down 6 pounds so that was a plus

Hope all are well
Old 06-02-2001, 06:47 PM   #34

Tami,
I have to say they aren't that way at the center I'm at. When I went 2 yrs ago they were though. I'm not sure exactly what the difference is except, the staff I see are on the program too. When I started and QUIT 2 yrs ago, the counselors I saw, had memorized the program verbatum! One girl I saw was the perfect size and had no idea about nutrition. She had no idea what it was to be overweight or to try and lose weight!

I may get a "look" when I go off the program, but they'll say, we'll whatever you're doing, keep doing it. But I agree with you! If you hang exactly to the program and can't deal with it without cheating every so often, you'd be crazy. Especially if you're like me and have a
"love/hate" relationship with food. I'm an emotional eater so yes, I've struggled. I've been on the program for 8 weeks and lost 17.5 lbs. I'm thrilled to death with my progress. Probably could've lost more if I'd have stuck closer to the plan, but I'm doing eating much better than I would if I weren't on the program! (My counselors told me that too! ) There are some things that I don't quite agree with and sometimes it can get a little strange in comparison to other diet plans, but this is the most weight I've ever lost in my adult life!

I'm doing the juice beginning tommorrow. I'll be excited to see how I do! I lost 3 lbs this week and it was a very bad week for me! This is in God's hands because I'm couldn't be doing this on my own!!!!!

Bela,
Hang in there girl! 6# is great!!!!!!!!! Don't give up! I'm where you are and it's tough but hang with the forum here and keep going in to see the counselors, even if you don't take your diary and have done horrible, it helps to keep you grounded. At least that's what I feel is working for me!!!

Good luck!!!
Janie

"Those that hope in the Lord shall renew their strength............" Isaiah 40:31
Old 06-02-2001, 06:53 PM   #35
choose it to loose it:)

Tami,

I am sorry that you have had such a negitive experience with them although I must say that sometimes that I have gone in there I sometimes feel like they are picking my journal apart. What I would do is just do what you are doing and wright down what they want to hear (i know that isn't right but we have to do what we have to do) I do the same thing.

I am also on tri-max but for some reason they are making me hungrier then i use to be and i told the gal what was wrong and she told me that i needed to be on it for a week b4 they would do anything about it. I do think that my energy level is up but I don't know if it's because of my monitoring my carbos or not. Because I really haven't been really trying and here for the last week I have been o p i have lost another 2.5 lbs. I also think that it's stupid that we have to weigh in 3 x a week.

Keep your chin up girl you are doing wonderful and keep up the great job. If you want to email me i am at kmabry123@ivillage.com
Old 06-02-2001, 07:24 PM   #36
Need Support

Default Gained

I am really disappointed. I juiced Sunday and Monday.
Tuesday I weighed in and had lost 4 pounds.
Thursday I weighted in and gained a pound and today I weighed in a gained 1 1/2 pounds.
I can't believe it. I have been faithfully following the program and have been disappointed
this week. I feel like the juice I did was a waste.
Or is it just the pain medicine I am taking for my back holding water.
I am not going off of this program, no way.
I was just a little down today.
My husband is so supportive of me and my daughter asked me if I wanted to walk with
her. So I did that.
Hope everyone else is doing well.
All have a great OP weekend.
Sharon44
Old 06-03-2001, 11:14 AM   #37

Janie,

I was on a "sister" program a couple of years ago. It was called National Weight Loss Center, and was almost exactly the same program...down to those impossible to find Akmak crackers and Stella d'Oro bread sticks. I've asked several people at LA WLC about the relationship between the two companies, but no one seems to know. That place went out of business after I'd been on for 4-5 months and had lost 40 lbs. No stabilization + no maintenance = gaining all the weight back ++. Anyway, on THAT program the staff was great. Very, very supportive. If I went totally off program, they'd say, "Hey, at least you're here today. That shows commitment." And I'd get back in sync. That staff had also been on the program, and all proudly displayed their "Before" & "After" pictures. Not this group, though.

You said, "Probably could've lost more if I'd have stuck closer to the plan, but I'm doing eating much better than I would if I weren't on the program!" That's my sentiments exactly! I'm eating hugely better than I was before. And so is my family.

You & NEB2 also said you had a bad weeks, but lost still lost weight. I've had the same experience a couple of times. I think maybe we put our bodies into starvation mode when we follow the program verbatim, and it adjusts to a lower calorie intake. Then a small deviation from program allows the body to readjust, and realize it doesn't have to "hang on" to those few incoming calories, because more are coming.

NEB2:

Yeah, it's a darn shame that sometimes I feel like I need to write down what they want to hear. That doesn't benefit them or me. I wish they'd take the attitude that they actually could learn something from those of us actually living with this progam. What works, what doesn't.

I'm surprised to hear the Tri-Max seems to be making you hungrier. I'm rarely hungry as long as I drink my water and keep the carbs waaaay down. I've been using the cereal bars the last week or so, and those are my only starches. I eat two a day and they count for a starch and a fruit each. I bought a box from the center, but then compared them to the store brand, and several were very close as far as calories, protein, and carbs, so now I usually buy Nabisco Fruit and Grain Bars. Of course, my counselor sort of raised an eyebrow when I explained my choice, since they won't see any income from it!

Sharon,
Give it another day or two. You may just be retaining water and all of a sudden you'll see a big drop. Have you tried the hot lemon water? It does seem to work for me when I'm retaining water. (Either it actually works as a diruetic, or it just grosses me out so bad that I don't eat as much! LOL)

Tami
Old 06-04-2001, 08:23 AM   #38

Angry Finally, we're back on the air!!!

Finally, I was in need of you guys yesterday, but I hung in there. I did juice day #1 yesterday. It went well until last night. I had a horrible headach and my stomach was soooo empty that it hurt. I had gone by the letter too. i ate another bar and some MORE water. Went to bed and woke up with terrible stomach pain. Drank some milk, a teaspoon of Peanut Butter and some Gaviscon (antacid). It finally went away. I'm wondering if there's not an ulcer lurking around the corner. Honestly though, I really didn't feel hungry yesterday. The juice was fine and I had enough food. Apparently though my body didn't. I felt great otherwise. Well I'll give it a shot today. See what will happen. I'm going to weigh today so we'll see!

What about these new upgrades on the page! I like this! I don't know how to use them but I'll just have to play with it.

Sharon,
Girl don't get discouraged! You'll pull thru. I agree with Tami. You're body is trying to adjust. After my struggle with 232, I finally broke the chain and lost 2.5 lbs on Friday. I decided to do the juice at that point. I did terrible Saturday, but I didn't expect to to great because I had 2 weddings to go to and we went out for steak that night. I did much better than I thought I could but I still ate wedding cake at one of the weddings! You gotta live a little!!!!!! Hang in there girlfriend.

It's another week! Have a great day!
Janie:

Old 06-04-2001, 09:04 AM   #39
Need Support

Talking Support

Thanks for the words of encouragements gals.
I know that I will lose it, but since I was following the program so good that I was looking for a loss.
I am going to Michigan June 29 - July 15 and was worried about going off the program.
In April there was not a program near my Mom,
keyed in her zip code of the l a weightloss site and there is one a few miles away.
Like you said Janie, I can do this with God's help. This is only a tool to use for weight loss and without him I know I could not do this myself.
Anyway LA weightloss can fax the page from our folder to another center and I can weight in there everyother day. I am working on my mother to go since she has about 80 pounds to lose also. If I can just get her to talk to them, maybe she will do it. We are scottish and love our sweets. She more than me. I like bread, Pizza , rolls and such.
Anyway it was like a miracle to have the center close by her home. I want this more than anything especially by Christmas.
Sharon
Old 06-04-2001, 09:06 AM   #40
Need Support

Default updates

These updates are so cool.
Even tells us if you are online under our names.
Sharon
Old 06-04-2001, 02:13 PM   #41

Hi all. It has been awhile since I posted. Last week I lost 3/4 lb. I felt myself getting a little out of control eating wise on Thursday. The Manager at my center had suggested doing Take-off again. So when I felt out of control, I did take-off on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. What a breath of fresh air..... I ate a lot!!!!! I wasn't that hungry either. I weighed in this morning and was down 1 3/4 pounds more. Ok so back to basics. I go away on a cruise with the children on Thursday. I hope to control myself!!!! I am down to 174 lbs, I have 9 more to go. These last 12 lbs are taking forever.

Tami: I buy the nabisco cereal bars too!!! Much cheaper and almost nutritionally equivalent!!!

Hope everyone has a great week!
Old 06-04-2001, 02:19 PM   #42
Need Support

Default Twins

Mom2Twins,
How much did you have to lose and how long did it take you?
Where are you from?
Good luck on the cruise. Where are you going to?
Sharon
Old 06-04-2001, 02:32 PM   #43

I started out at 217.5. My original goal was 160lbs. I am 5' 10" and big boned. I was given 28 weeks to lose it.... I didn't and purchased a few more weeks. I have now lost 43.5 lbs. It has been 32 or 33 weeks. I am happy overall. It is unrealistic to believe you will never cheat or go off plan. This is the first time I have lost this much weight. I am smaller now than before I got pregnant with the twins... who are now 6 1/2. I changed my goal to 165 because I have built a lot of muscle I am working with a trainer 3x week. I am wearing a smaller size at 174 now than at my original weight watcher goal of 165 given to me 11 years ago. I wasn't there very long either!!!!! I had hit a plateau for about 2 months no loss, no gain I just kept plugging away. Actually, I joked that it was the first time in my adult life that I was the same weight for more than 2 days in a row! Once I gave up the thought of getting the rebate, I was much happier with the program. I don't care if I have to pay for more weeks, the plan works, I am not buying into all of their products and supplements, for me I just want to reach 165 and go through stabilization and maintenance. This is my most weak area, I never learned how to do this on weight watchers. We are cruising to Key West and Cozumel. It is only a four day cruise, but I am looking forward to it.

Bye for now.
Sara
Old 06-04-2001, 03:04 PM   #44
Need Support

Default Great Job

Seems like you have done a great job Sara.
I was told I would lose 130 pounds in 43 weeks.
So far it is 9 weeks with 27 pounds lost.
I had gained the last couple times I weighed in and was very discouraged. I know about water gain and that must be it because I have stayed op all the time.
I live in Chapel Hill, Tn, south of Nasville. Lots of good country cookin. Better not go to the tourist traps.
Sharon
Old 06-04-2001, 03:08 PM   #45

Default Rebate/guarantee

mom2twins mentioned that she was happier after she gave up on the rebate. That raised a question in my mind about the guarantee and the rebate (especially after my counselor's snotty remark last week). I wonder what their criteria is for the guarantee and rebate. Do you have to follow the program EXACTLY for them to apply? Seems like that would just encourage dishonesty. And I for one am not getting one aspect they are supposed to provide--encouragement. I have to wonder if it's because of the guarantee and rebate that I'm not getting the encouragement.

I lost another 1/2 lb. over the weekend, and had not really followed the program 100%. But, I lied on my diary, and had it filled out exactly according to plan, just to see if my counselor STILL could find fault. Well, for once she didn't--but had nothing positive to say either!

Tami
Closed Thread
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.