Old 02-24-2005, 01:12 PM   #1  

Default Exercise Yard

Thought we could come here to talk about our love-hate relationship with exercise. Hope we can help each other out and get some strong motivation going. What do they say "Use it or lose it"?

Last edited by Starlynn; 02-24-2005 at 01:14 PM.
Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 01:45 PM   #2  

Star, great thread idea! Only when I first read "Exercise Yard," you know what I immediately thought of? Prison!

Fiona
vibrantecho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 01:48 PM   #3  
234/165.8/160

Star- Great topic! I'm up to about 4.5 miles per day at least five days a week, alternating between walking and jogging. I feel so much better when I do it, I often dread getting started but am so proud of myself when I'm done...no other feeling like it ;-)
auditgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 01:52 PM   #4  

I'm the same way about exercise. I dread it every minute until I actually get to the gym & start. Then I feel so good during & after. I lift 3x per week, mainly upper body because my legs are already so big & the cardio usually builds enough lean muscle in my legs. The cardio is 4x per week, & now I'm starting tai chi one night per week.

Soon I'll start softball, too!
travkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 01:52 PM   #5  
One meal at a time!

S/C/G: 198/185/130

Height: 5' 2"

Here are my exercises for the "Yard" today... Don't I wish....
Karen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 01:55 PM   #6  
One meal at a time!

I do have to admit though, once I get my butt in gear and actually do something, I do feel better and have more energy. Sounds like a good reason to keep it up huh?
Old 02-24-2005, 02:19 PM   #7  

Amen RustyK!

By the way, my exercise so far this week: I went to yoga on Tuesday night and it kicked my butt. And I missed two weeks ago because of a schedule conflict, so I'm going again tonight! Except I'm "taking it easy" and going to the beginner-level class because it's the only one that fits my schedule. I told DH it's too bad we don't have a sitter or he could come, too.

The SELF challenge calls for 3 days x 30 minutes of cardio and 2 days x 25 minutes of strength training per week, and since my only exercise right now is the yoga class (which I found out counts as a strength and not a cardio) I decided to look into the gym thing - I love my commercial-quality elliptical machines! Actually treadmills aren't too bad either, although I'm always afraid of pulling one of these: LOL!

Fiona
Old 02-24-2005, 02:54 PM   #8  

You guys Rock!
Jen - you have really been working it girl! I plan on starting to jog again when the weather gets nice. Years ago I jogged three miles a day, could eat anything that got in my way (that was then, this is now ). You keep it up and you will have one hot pair of legs

Fiona - Well you know inmates have the best bodies They have all the time in the world to workout...... There is nothing like going to a good gym, you get motivation, learn new stuff and meet same minded people. Doing it with DH is another plus, more together time

Travkitty - I lift 2 sometimes 3xper week all upper body. Like you I get plenty leg work on the cardio. My arms have made a huge improvement in the last year (I love to ride Sleeveless). Lifting to me is so inpowering, just love it I'm getting definitioin in my upper arms, back and chest.

Rusty - You have quite the 'icon' routine there, work it girl! Like others have said, just get dressed to workout and start - you end up going furter everyday......

PLUS - daisy duke season is almost here, we need to get ready Let's do it
Old 02-25-2005, 08:51 AM   #9  
One meal at a time!

Star...Tell me if this is okay...Since I'm just starting out slow, here's what I'll be doing. Monday through Saturday- cardio-10 minutes. Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday-ultra track- one set. I'm taking Sunday off... I'll do this for 2 weeks and then start adding more. I've also put a calendar up on the wall to keep track of what I'm doing..How's that..
Old 02-25-2005, 10:43 AM   #10  

Default Go Rusty!!!!

Rusty -
For someone starting out that is great! I can offer a change up, if you like. This might just help ease you into your routine.
Monday-Wed-Friday - Cardio Only
Tues-Thrus-Sat - Ultra Track Only
Sunday - Day of Rest

Now for cardio, try and increase your time to 15 minutes. Work up to eventually 30 minutes (down the road)
Ultra Track, try to do two sets (How long does a set take?)

This way you will have one thing to do aday until you are use to it then you could possibly mix them both in again.

How does that sound to you?

The calendar will help you to stay on track and motivated. I keep track of my exercise program in my day planner. At the end of the month I can see a month full of big X's and I feel very strong and proud......

Last edited by Starlynn; 02-25-2005 at 11:00 AM.
Old 02-25-2005, 10:56 AM   #11  
One meal at a time!

One set on the ultra track takes about 10-15 minutes, I think. I'll have to time myself on it in the morning and see how long it actually takes...
Old 02-25-2005, 11:03 AM   #12  

Rusty - How many different exercises do you do on the Ultra Track?
Old 02-25-2005, 08:34 PM   #13  

Here's a question for you exercise chicks - do you eat something before you work out? Or do you do it on an empty stomach?
textjewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 08:44 PM   #14  

I try to eat something light - toast or fruit, something like that - half an hour to an hour before. Exercising on either a totally empty stomach or a full one makes me feel sick.

Fiona
Old 02-25-2005, 09:39 PM   #15  

I have been going to the gym and walking 2 miles , but I only made it there 3 times this week. One of the days this week I did the Easy Steps. I also try to do my ab dvd, and once this week I did my arms too. I do Tamilee Webb's I Want That Body, very hard for me, but did the Abs tape in the past and had great results. Although honestly I haven't been able to make it through either program all the way . I am going to try and go the gym Mon-Fri and walk 2 to 3 miles each day and then I want to do my abs and arms at least 4 times a week.

Have a question for you exercise 's, do you think I need to also do leg and buns exercises, or should the walking be enough? Any info and/or advice is always much appreciated , you ladies are just the best !!
aag118 is offline   Reply With Quote