Old 03-08-2005, 08:38 AM   #46  

Julie - Way to go girl! Glad your drinking your water as you work out......
I too started a couple new workout tapes this week - it does take afew times doing them to feel like comfortable. We have to start somewhere!
Geez, I'm gonna have to check out Walmart too for the HRM, seems like a much easier way to keep track of where the heck your heart rate is when your killing yourself...lol
Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 11:13 AM   #47  

Question

Hi...
Has working out sped up your weight loss?
Chris
~Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 11:35 AM   #48  

Chris -

Working out burns calories. As far as working out to lose weight, well if you eat more calories than your body normally burns, it won't make you lose weight. If you eat less calories and workout - I believe that is a winning combination.
Old 03-08-2005, 02:31 PM   #49  

GROAN.

I think it's the kickboxing moves in this cardio tape that just confuse me. Okay. I decided to get the legs right first.

And then arms. MORE GROAN. and abs. . .

But Good for me! I did at least TRY the moves. And I'll be able to see my progress when I can keep to tempo . ..

Julie
textjewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 02:36 PM   #50  

I wanted to add something to what Star posted - I think it's really hard to lose weight without dieting - just doing exercise - the changes are really SLOW. I've had friends that have done boot camps, etc, and didn't change their eating and then got discouraged because they expected major changes.

You can lose weight by changing your eating (which is what I've been doing for the past 4 months), but:

I think that if you challenge your body physically (and by that I mean bumping up the workout when it gets too easy) you get two benefits. The weight loss is more consistent (less plateaus) and you get better muscle defination - so you can actually weigh more and look smaller.

Does this make sense???

Julie
Old 03-08-2005, 03:01 PM   #51  

Julie - It is so good to have a smartie pants around. You always make such good sense (gee, you should be a writer).
About starting out with one pair of limbs; arms or legs. That is what most tapes, instructors tell you to do. Get one down first and then add on. You'll have it all put together in no time...
About working out without dieting. I have exercised til the cows come home without dieting.......result? No weight loss. My trainer once told me, to lose weight it's 90%what you eat.
Old 03-08-2005, 03:19 PM   #52  

Star, thank you - I don't feel like a complete doofus with two left legs and two right arms.. . I will work on getting the legs right since it is a cardio tape! According to the program the first tape is for the first week, and then there is a more intense (!) tape for the next four weeks, but I figure that if it takes me two weeks to get this down that's okay.

Also, thanks for the stats from your trainer -
(and for the compliment. .)
Old 03-08-2005, 03:46 PM   #53  

Julie- this has probably been mentioned in the program "Project You" But if you haven't done so yet, you should take your measurements since you are just starting to workout, that way you can chart your progress. Even if they do it at the center of doom, you should notice some increase in inches lost now with the workout.
Old 03-09-2005, 08:06 AM   #54  

Star it is in the 12 week journal - along with a place to put before and after pictures! I just need to find my tape measure!
Old 03-10-2005, 08:24 AM   #55  

Did the pilates and yoga tapes last night - had to really talk myself into it -

However, my abs doth protest! They've seen more action in 3 days than in months!
But the yogu tape was very relaxing - except for the ones where the calves get action - never knew they were so tight.

Did sleep like a baby last night. . .

I like the fact that these two tapes are mid week - just when you need a break from the cardio and strength. I am looking forward to the cardio tape again today. Hopefully I will feel the same tomorrow.

And, then Saturday is a choice cardio day - haven't figured out what to do for that yet - there is an audio tape, Steady Strides, which you can use on a treadmill, or for a walk - if I feel adventurous, I may try it on my stepper.

Hugs,
Julie
Old 03-10-2005, 09:40 AM   #56  

Julie - WOW - you jumped in head first.......sounds like a tough program.
I workout M-F for sure; cardio, tapes, strength. On S&S I play it by ear and do what I feel like, if I have time. Weekends can be very busy. Since I workout regular M-F if I miss a weekend it doesn't hurt my feelings. If I do workout on S and/or Sunday I just pick what I really want to do. Sometimes my S/S workouts are better becuz I can take my dear sweet time and enjoy it..... NOW, did I confuse you....lol ?
Old 03-10-2005, 12:26 PM   #57  

Star - no I understand - during the week you have it streamlined for what you have time for and what you want to accomplish, fitness wise, but on the weekends you can choose whatever you want and really enjoy it. You are my idol - I hope that I get to that point where I choose exercise for fun, and not soley for the results. I would like to get past the point where it is like brushing my teeth . ..

Julie
Old 03-10-2005, 12:32 PM   #58  

Julie - Thank you for explaining what I wanted to say so clearly.....lol
Sometimes when the weather is nice, on the weekends I go for really fun exercise like; walking at the park, roller blading or bike riding. To me that is just the cat's pajamas.
I hope you start to enjoy working out too, because when that happens - you will actually look forward to the workout and the results will just be a nice bonus.
Old 03-10-2005, 07:30 PM   #59  

Day 4 down!

Did concentrate mainly on the feet today, which really helped. It really does get easier every day. There are still sections of the lower body workout that I can only do one or two of . . I am so glad that I don't have one of those exercise balls; I'd be tempted to use it and that is for the advanced stuff!

I am still going through half a liter of water for both workouts . . .

I am noticing that I really need a snack about 30 minutes after the workout!

(Still haven't found that tape measure yet. . .)

Julie
Old 03-11-2005, 09:09 AM   #60  

Morning Fit Chicks -
As I was doing my (what use to be) my 'easy workout day', I thought now who was it that made me think I needed to add that Thigh Tape? So now my 'easy workout days' aren't that easy anymore.....lol! I do like the thigh tape and boy can I ever feel it. Oh Dear God - does it sting, I'm glad it is only like 10 minutes! Today is day three of the thigh tape and I've already noticed I'm more steady with it.....
Julie - as I was reading your post about the exercise ball, I pictured you rolling around the room, falling from side to side.......of maybe that was me....lol For now I think your new workout routine is quite full without the 'ball of torture'....
Hey find the tape measure becuz your losing inches as I type, and you want to be able to have that total number of 'inchels lost' It is really gonna surprise you how this exercise thing works........
hey Fit Chicks - we are gonna be so happy we are doing this prior to summer clothes, it does make a huge difference.....Let's go girls......

Last edited by Starlynn; 03-11-2005 at 09:13 AM.