Old 12-11-2004, 07:27 AM   #31  

S/C/G: 205/153.8/140

Default Morning

Sy~ I did not even see the raisins on the new plan! Yeah.. I can have 2 Tbsp, and on the red plan, we can have 3 tbsp of regular or fat free pb! (personally I prefer the natural pb, and I know that is allowed as well!) The thing I have the hardest time with is the veggies, but now we are allowed to have eggplant, artichokes, snow peas, sugar snap peas and the V8 low sodium (1/2 cup). I just hope all the this new variety will help me!

Well ladies, I am off to do my long run for the week. 9 miles! Hope everyone has a POP day!
Meegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 10:27 AM   #32  

Gosh I want the new plan!

Well I don't know who all is in for BL this week, but I doubt I'm going to get the crown a second time. After a couple slip-ups earlier in the week, I'm aaaaaalmost back to my BL weigh-in weight - and now it's the weekend! I think I'm stuck at home all weekend, so there's not toooo much bad stuff around - it's just a matter of avoiding BES - Bored Eating Syndrome. Maybe I should break out my diary again and actually track my food this weekend, since that was always something I DIDN'T remember to do...and I'll be down some by Monday.

Have a great POP day!

Fiona
vibrantecho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 11:31 AM   #33  

Hi chickies -

I was down this morning after one day of TO - which I'm glad of! One more day to go - I was thinking about doing it tomorrow, but I have that party. . .

Hi Annie, glad to have you join us! The supermarket juice that we've been using is the Knudsens Morning Blend. My jar also has a 'Simply Nutritious' banner across the top, which is MUCH larger than the Knudsen's brand name. I found it in the Natural Food section of the supermarket. Star is in Michigan, and she has the new plan. How long have you been on LAWL, and congrats on dropping below 160! That is one of my dearest dreams.

Meegs - good luck running in the rain. Or do you have an indoor track for when the weather is yucky? I'm with you about the increase in veg variety - I love sugar snap peas. . . and they don't count as a starch. I've asked about speghetti squash - does it count as a veg or a starch? And still have not got an answer.

Sy - we can have 3 tbsp on the red plan - and I still have not indulged. Can you imagine 3 tbsp in a sandwich?? And I was able to find the small whole wheat pitas -- they're only 70 cals a piece . . . quite nice for a change. I guess I could split 3 tbsp of peanut butter on each half? And I love vegie burgers. Especially the morning star brand.

Fiona - good luck on the BES syndrome - I understand completely. Maybe you can find another way for us to be efficient?

Star -- I meant to respond to your new avatar -- where did you find it? Obviously, not a DUMB blond!

Good luck everyone (especially to those of us on TO)

Hugs
textjewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 06:09 PM   #34  
156/127.4/127.4

Afternoon all!

I just got back from a full day at the Student Union studying and I think I am seeing double! Tonight is DH's Christmas party so have tried to eat light today. Not sure what they are serving and we don't get to choose like I thought we would so a little nervous!

Julie-congrats on completing your first full day of TO! One day down a little more to go right!!! Congrats on the loss that always makes it so worth it huh!

Sy-How does the tree look? So proud of you for doing all that work yourself! Does DH help decorate or are you on your own for that? PMS here all you want I know I am suffereing as well! I have such a hard time saying nice things at this time of month but I try real hard!!! I am with you, PB is a down fall! Who would have ever thought we could miss a "staple" like that so much??? I want the new plan!!!! Still no word at my center!

Fiona-How is the weekend and the BES syndrome going? I love this site as we get to make up our own syndromes and illness's!!!

Star-I think they named a rap song after you? Shake the tail feather or something to that effect? You go girl!!

Kristi-did you make it to the center Saturday and if so did you get the new plan yet? Still no word at my center! I wonder how or if it effects stabalization and maintenance! How is your weather? Cold and gloomy here!

Tams and Toots-how are you chicks?

Meegs-how was your run? Dang girl, 9 miles? I bet you look awesome, especially those runner legs!!

Annie-glad to see you are with us!

Britt-how is studying going? Are you ready? I am just ready for semester to be over! Especially PoliSci!!!

Alright I know I missed some chicks, sorry! I have to go get ready DH is going to start nagging me to hurry if I am not ready. Have a nice weekend everyone, may not get to check in much as I am crazy with tests this week!

Hugs and Skinny Vibes to all who have to face the scale demon on Monday with me. Yikes, I am nervous as the mints keep finding their way into my cart and I know this party is going to send me into a tail spin, and not the kind Star is good at!!!!!
sammyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2004, 04:59 PM   #35  

Default Hello Again

For everyone who missed my initial post, here's my encapsulated story...

I've been on LAWL for about 6 weeks now. I actually used to be a counselor with LAWL about 3 years ago. I was able to lose 100 pounds on my own 8 years ago, but the last 30 or so have been stubborn through the years. I work in radio, so LAWL is actually paying me to do the program & talk about it on the radio. That certainly helps me stay motivated. Although the program & Lites for me are free, any supplements or TO juice would have to come out of my own pocket, which is why I'm looking for the cheaper alternative.
travkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2004, 05:25 PM   #36  

Hi Everyone!

Hope everyone had a great weekend! Mine was exhausting and here's why...

After 3 days of family visiting, the house was trashed and I was never so happy to drive away from the airport after I dropped them off. It's nice to have company and I love my family, but it was stressful entertaining for a couple of days. And the other thing is that they smoke and we don't and being up in Wisconsin it's just too cold to make anyone go outside, so down to the basement they went, but the house smells a bit like smoking...febreeze....febreeze

I'm back on track today starting at 4PM and I'm determined to stay on plan and watch the weight magically start dropping off...wish me luck!

The good thing about this weekend was that I ordered my wedding dress! YIPPEE! It is the most beautiful dress and it only cost $500. I thought that was a great price! It will be delivered to my door in about 8 weeks. So now the hotel is booked, the chapel is booked and the dress is bought. Next up is to search for a tiara, shoes, and bridemaids dresses.

Well I better get going...Talk to you all later!

Diane
Bride2Be_Diane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2004, 08:04 PM   #37  

Default Knudsen's

Well, I looked at several of the regular grocery stores here, & the only Knudsen's juice they had was the Black Cherry & Cranberry. So, I guess I'll try to stop by a natural/health food store tomorrow & hope to find it.
travkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 12:26 AM   #38  

Hi all! I hope you have all had a good, OP weekend! I wasn't strictly OP myself but didn't indulge in any real baddies. If there had been ice cream and/or chocolate in my house, though, all thoughts of being "good" would have been out the window, as I was majorly stressed out last night...my computer decided to crash, and I spent probably four hours trying to figure out a way to fix the error without having to totally wipe my hard drive, then wiping it anyway, then spending two hours reinstalling Windows, then another three hours reinstalling all my software....! It was NOT fun, but I think I figured out what caused the crash and fixed it so it won't happen again.

Tonight I've been working on Christmas presents - I had the "brilliant" (or not so much, considering how much work it's turning out to be!) idea of making photo calendars for, oh, 10 of the relatives. We're using all pictures of DD and calling it "Brianna: In Living Color" - it's turning out really well, but the pages take forever to print!

Well, just thought I'd see what's cooking here for all you guys - talk to you tomorrow!

Fiona
Old 12-13-2004, 10:54 AM   #39  

Kristi: My sister stopped as soon as she got to her goal. I'm just wondering if that could be causing your motivation problem (if your not going). You seem to be the same weight - you must be doing something right?! I found the juice at the 3 main grocery stores in our area - price varies a little. Ask someone if you can't find it because it may be there in a hidden area. 1 place it's in the organic food section, the other is in the nature food section and the 3rd it's not with the regular juice - it's in a totally different area. I know that these next 2 weeks will be hard for all of us.
SyracuseNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 11:00 AM   #40  

Morning Chicks.......
Hope everyone had a great weekend. For me it was awesome, but too short.

David's birthday party went well. Family, friends, food,catching up! We watched David destroy his own little cake for about 20 minutes. I'm scared to say, I think he has a love of sweets like his grandma. The day had a very Christmasy feel to it as it was snowing.....We get to do it all over soon, as we are having Christmas Eve and Christmas Day at our house.

Yesterday DH and I got up early ad headed out to ToysRUs with our list. It only took us about 40 minutes there (it was 8:30am). Then the mall for the adults, knocked off that list fairly quick. We managed to find some things for ourselves along the way too.

Did really well with my eating over the weekend. HOWEVER, I did have a piece of birthday cake. My reasoning, David is only have a first birthday party once. He will probably never have another Blues Clues cake and the sf/ff Chocolate Fudge Brownie ice cream is actually on plan now..........Any questons?

Julie - My DH took that picture of me afew weeks back.......quack-quack.....

HUGS

Last edited by Starlynn; 12-13-2004 at 11:03 AM.
Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 11:39 AM   #41  
156/127.4/127.4

Morning chicks!

Just wanted to say hey, and that I am headed to wi. Not holding out much hope as at the X-mas party had molten chocolate cake...... Need I say more? Otherwise seems to be going okay other than waiting for TOM to get here and get gone to feel better mentally! First test is tomorrow so lots of studying today!

Hugs and skinny vibes headed to all of you!!
sammyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 11:41 AM   #42  

Kristi - I think the starting TO is the juice plus all the protien and raw green veggies you can choke down. At least, that's as much of it as I remember - LOL!

BTW, everyone, I'm excited - I charted a new territory this weekend - I actually lost more over the weekend than I did M-F! My BL weigh in is 206.8 - down .8 for the week. Not much, but I'll take it. Thank goodness for the fast start I had at the beginning of the month, I'm still just over the 2 pounds per week average that I need to reach my (mini) goal for the month.

Star - of COURSE you can't skip First Birthday Cake! I think that's the definition of a Rainbow Plan event. As long as you don't let that little indulgence lead to other indulgences, you deserve to enjoy life's special occasions!

What's coming up for everyone this week? I keep thinking things are going to be low-key when they really aren't!

Tuesday - RE office meeting w/lunch
Wednesday - normal (thank goodness)
Thursday - RE office Xmas Potluck Party
Friday - J-O-B office Xmas "Luncheon" followed by a family friend's Xmas party
Saturday - normal - I think. Maybe I just won't eat!
Sunday - SIL's Xmas Potluck Party

The thought of managing it all makes me go !!

Fiona
Old 12-13-2004, 11:50 AM   #43  

Default FYI - Hope it helps us.....

Holiday Dieting: How to Indulge Without Gaining Extra Bulge
By Tiffany Owens

For many dieters, the holiday mantra becomes “eat, drink and be miserable” as they guiltily swing between splurge-and-starve mode in a desperate attempt to stick to their weight-loss plan. Even worse, the holiday season can last upwards of three months with chocolate and other goodies making their first appearance at Halloween and continuing through the New Year.

"The stress of holiday commitments combined with seemingly endless socializing and celebrations—all of which seem to revolve around food—make it very challenging to prevent weight gain," says American Council for Fitness and Nutrition Chair, Susan Finn, Ph.D., R.D.

But when it comes to dealing with the temptations of the season’s offerings, there’s no need to turn Grinchy. Savvy dieters that follow these 12 holiday tips can still socialize and enjoy themselves without packing on extra pounds.

Listen up. Only eat when your body tells you it’s hungry. Don’t just graze because you’re bored or standing next to the dessert table.

Lighten up. Your favorite recipes, that is. For cakes and breads, substitute equal amounts of applesauce or baby prunes for oil. Bake or broil meats and avoid frying when possible. Gravy can be made with less fat. Turkey is leaner without the skin. Potatoes served without butter can be very healthy. Pumpkin pie is nutritious, without whipped cream.

Burn, baby, burn. Daily exercise will not only burn off those extra calories, but also help to manage holiday stress. Try to walk for 30 minutes, at least every other day. If you're already in shape, crank it up a notch in order to splurge. Try this on for size: It takes 48 minutes of brisk walking for a 150-pound person to work off a piece of pumpkin pie (241 calories)—add another 5 minutes for whipped topping.

Empty promises. Although most prefer to do their holiday shopping and try on new party clothes with an empty (read: flatter) stomach, going to the mall or grocery store hungry is bound to tempt you into eating something you’ll later regret.

Pre-party hearty. A 1997 Scottish study found that subjects consumed the smallest number of calories when they ate a snack 90 minutes before a big meal. A hearty low-fat, high-protein mini-munch before heading out the door will quell hunger and prevent that starved-and-stuff behavior at the big meal later.

Fudge budget. Pass on the usual fare, like cheese and crackers, chips, nuts and soda that you can have any day of the year. Instead, save your calories for Aunt Alma’s world-famous fudge or other favorite holiday-only treat.

Good cheer. Limit your alcohol intake—not only for the added calories, but it can topple even the staunchest willpower. Allow yourself a certain number of drinks, say two, and alternate with nonalcoholic options. And remember, all beverages are not created equal. Creamy concoctions like eggnog are chock-full of fat and calories. Instead, opt for a mixed drink made with soda or juice that has fewer calories, or wine or light beer, which have no fat and even fewer calories. Go easy on the caffeine too, as it can be dehydrating and increase appetite.

Don’t go empty-handed. If your hands are full (with healthy snacks or a seltzer with lime), you are less likely to succumb to the temptation of another plate or glass refill. "If you already have a full glass in your hand, people are less likely to offer you another drink," says Joy Bauer, nutritionist and author of The Complete Idiot's Guide to Eating Smart.

Size matters. Sample just one or two—not all—of the appetizers and use the smallest plate available when visiting the buffet. If dessert starts calling your name, a spoonful or a dollop can satisfy the craving as well as a generous serving, plus it will prevent that sickly sugar-crash feeling later on.

Every second counts. Don't feel obligated to take seconds just to spare the hostess’s feelings. If you are still hungry, go for seconds on salads, vegetables or meat, rather than starchy potatoes, casseroles or sweets.

Color me healthy. The general rule of thumb is, the more colorful (or pigmented) the food, the more nutrients it contains. "Sweet potatoes are high in dietary fiber, vitamin C and iron and are one of the few low-fat, tasty sources of vitamin E," notes Dr. Jack Osman, author of Thin from Within.

Don’t take the cake. One super-serving of turkey or cake won’t ruin your diet, but eating the leftovers for the next two weeks certainly will—don’t take them home, no matter how much your hostess persists. If you’re throwing the party, donate leftovers to a local shelter. Not only will you be doing a charitable deed, but you’ll also be more likely to head into the New Year without extra baggage.

Tiffany Owens is a freelance writer and frequent dieter living in Portland, OR, who hopes that Santa will bring her a shiny new metabolism this year
Old 12-13-2004, 11:55 AM   #44  

Fiona - My advice to you, PRAY you get the flu tonight......lol
Old 12-13-2004, 12:01 PM   #45  

LOL, Star!

Now, after we have all "digested" that healthy-eating article - the lighter side of things (courtesy of my skinny friend Bree ) :

Holiday Eating Tips

1. Avoid carrot sticks. Anyone who puts carrots on a holiday buffet table knows nothing of the Christmas spirit. In fact, if you see carrots, leave immediately. Go next door, where they're serving rum balls.

2. Drink as much eggnog as you can. And quickly. Like fine single-malt scotch, it's rare. In fact, it's even rarer than single-malt scotch. You can't find it any other time of year but now. So drink up! Who cares that it has 10,000 calories in every sip? It's not as if you're going to turn into an eggnog-aholic or something. It's a treat. Enjoy it. Have one for me. Have two. It's later than you think. It's Christmas!

3. If something comes with gravy, use it. That's the whole point of gravy. Gravy does not stand alone. Pour it on. Make a volcano out of your mashed potatoes. Fill it with gravy. Eat the volcano. Repeat.

4. As for mashed potatoes, always ask if they're made with skim milk or whole milk. If it's skim, pass. Why bother? It's like buying a sports car with an automatic transmission.

5. Do not have a snack before going to a party in an effort to control your eating. The whole point of going to a Christmas party is to eat other people's food for free. Lots of it. Hello?

6. Under no circumstances should you exercise between now and New Year's. You can do that in January when you have nothing else to do. This is the time for long naps, which you'll need after circling the buffet table while carrying a 10-pound plate of food and that vat of eggnog.

7. If you come across something really good at a buffet table, like frosted Christmas cookies in the shape and size of Santa, position yourself near them and don't budge. Have as many as you can before becoming the center of attention. They're like a beautiful pair of shoes. If you leave them behind, you're never going to see them again.

8. Same for pies. Apple. Pumpkin. Mincemeat. Have a slice of each. Or, if you don't like mincemeat, have two apples and one pumpkin. Always have three. When else do you get to have more than one dessert? Labor Day?

9. Did someone mention fruitcake? Granted, it's loaded with the mandatory celebratory calories, but avoid it at all cost. I mean, have some standards.

10. One final tip: If you don't feel terrible when you leave the party or get up from the table, you haven't been paying attention.

Reread tips; start over, but hurry, January is just around the corner.

~Fiona

Last edited by mkfionap; 12-13-2004 at 12:20 PM.