3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Diet Central > General Diet Plans and Questions > LA Weight Loss

Let's get back to chatting and supporting each other

Old 04-06-2013, 08:43 AM   #106

S/C/G: 156.5/156.5/140

Height: 5'5"

Still 142.0 lbs. I'm grateful for that.
All day, whenever I entered my kitchen, there was a bunny staring at me. He would look at me with those pitiful eyes and beg me to come closer and take a better look. I resisted his charms and continued on with my day. However, I always knew he was there.... Sadly, at 10pm last night, I couldn't resist him anymore. I went over and grabbed him. I ripped off his shiny exterior and bit a chunk out of him. He was filled with sponge toffee which just melted in my mouth and made me want more. Before I knew it, he was gone and the only remains of him was the melted chocolate on my fingertips!

Shy16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 04:22 PM   #107

S/C/G: 225/208/160

Height: 5'6"

Sometimes it is better to get something like that out of your system.

It was easier for me to avoid the temptation of Easter candy because my husband had to work, and both kids were away at college. So I didn't buy candy, either full-price before or half-price the day after!
TracyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:48 AM   #108

Lucky you, Tracy! I was surrounded by chocolates. The bunny was given to me and none of my children wanted it because it was mine. So it just sat there for a few days until I finally caved in.

Unfortunately, this might have signalled a series of events that has got me eating things I would normally have control over.
Agh. I either gained 0.5 lbs or I stayed the same. I think my scale needs new batteries.

I am motivated and I have desire but I can't seem to stay on that bandwagon fully. I keep faltering.

I don't know what to do....
Maybe things will be different today as the sun is shining and it's supposed to get really warm today! Unlike yesterday where it was windy, cold and grey and there were frequent periods of snow falling down!
Such extremes. It's crazy.

Old 04-07-2013, 03:19 PM   #109

You asked me in a previous message if I was still following the old WW or LAWL. Well, at the moment, none of the above. I don't know if it's my menopausal body or some other reason, but whenever I eat sweets, I want more sweets. I dragged out an old plan of mine called "The 35+ Diet for Women" which, obviously, was designed for older women. It is almost exactly like LAWL, but does not have the bars or other sugary treats. It is simple, nothing weird to buy and great for this time of year, when it is a pleasure to eat five servings of vegetables and three of fruit. I get my sweet fix by using my one dairy serving to make a fruit smoothie with two servings of berries and half a pack of sugar-free Jell-O powder. But since there is no added sugar, I don't crave everything in sight.

I know I sound like the most wishy-washy person in the world, but I guess with the hormonal changes of menopause, I need to tweak things until they work again.

I also worked out at the gym five days this week. I know that I won't lose the weight by dieting alone.

The "35+ Diet" book has some great recipes in it as well, which I often refer to just because they taste great. The book was from the 1980s but it is sensible and not something that is "dated" by having been written a while back.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:33 AM   #110

Tracy: You do not sound like the most wishy-washy person in the world! Don't think that way about yourself.
In fact, you sound like the most educated person. You know what is going to work for you and, as you mentioned, you just need to tweak it to suit your needs/lifestyle. I think that's brilliant. You have a plan and you just need to implement it into your life, work on tweaking it, and things will work out. You just have to be patient during the tweaking phase.... it will take time and motivation but, once you get over it, you will be living the lifestyle that works for you.
I like the fact that it's almost exactly like LAWL without the bars. I really like LAWL and find it a great approach. (I've never done any other 'diet')

And good for you for going to the gym. Again, you KNOW what works for you. You're smart and you're tackling this wonderfully.

As for me.... I decided to stay on the bandwagon yesterday and I actually consumed 4 glasses of water, something I don't really like to do. I ended up losing weight and this is my motivating factor once again. I might be able to make my goal by next week, by my birthday. If not, at least I won't have those extra pesky pounds around!

My new weight is 141.5 lbs. I'm staying on track from now on and let's see what happens. It is sooooooo hard to lose the last couple of pounds.

Old 04-09-2013, 10:58 AM   #111

So I managed to stay at 141.5 lbs.
That's good new considering that it was DH's birthday yesterday and I consumed two slabs (pieces) of lasagne, caesar salad drenched in dressing, garlic bread and ice cream! I didn't have cake... I'm saving up those calories for my own cake... lol!

sometimes I feel like I'm testing fate. I'm just thankful that I didn't gain weight and I will stay focused today and drink more water than I normally do.... which isn't much!

Old 04-09-2013, 01:56 PM   #112

Shy, so far, so good. I am down about two pounds this week, but may have been up more before, because I got a little lax while my daughter was home for Spring Break. I have the feeling I was up two or three before getting on the 35+ plan, so I might have actually lost a bit more to end up where I am today (if any of that makes sense). I didn't weigh before I started, which was stupid.

The 35+ Diet for Women has protein servings of one, three and six ounces, respectively, for the three meals. Three servings of fruit and at least four of vegetables. I often have more vegetables because most are free and I can have some for a snack if I like. One eight-oz dairy and two starch servings. A serving can be two slices of diet bread, so you can have a sandwich. After staying on 1-2 weeks, you can add an extra serving of starch and a non-sweet alcohol serving. You stay on that plan until you lose your weight, and then there is a maintenance plan that adds some foods back in. The best thing is that it emphasizes low sugar rather than low sodium, so you can add salt and spices to make your food taster better.

I will say that I have as many bathroom visits as when I was on LAWL, so I know that I am not retaining water! I know, TMI.

I think this is a good compromise, and can always go back to LAWL and the bars if I think I will die without something sweet each day. As it is now, I am using my dairy (1/2 yogurt and half milk) + two servings of berries + 1/2 pack of raspberry Jell-o powder + 1 tbsp of Splenda to make a thick, sweet smoothie either for breakfast or a later morning or early afternoon snack. It satisfies my need for something sweet without making me crave more sweets.

It is very LAWL-like, but I was feeling the need for a little more structure for a while.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:29 AM   #113

OMG....OMG....OMG..............................OMG !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

April 10, 2013
I DID IT!!!!! I achieved my goal this morning! I can't believe it. I'm still in shock. In fact, I must have stepped on the scale at least five times just to make sure that I saw what I saw. AND... I did see what I saw!

140.0 lbs!
Thank you very much!!
How I dropped 1.5 lbs overnight is beyond me but I'll take it!
I reached my goal 6 days before my deadline.

Old 04-10-2013, 01:03 PM   #114

Yay! I am so happy for you!
Old 04-11-2013, 09:39 AM   #115

Thanks Tracy!
It's a good feeling finally seeing that number.... I felt like i accomplished something!
Hmmm..... I lost another pound overnight. I can't believe it! I'm going to ride this as long as it will go.... besides I could use the extra wiggle room and get rid of the extra fat around my body. I might stop at 135.0 lbs.

I feel like my body has finally kicked into gear!

Once I finish riding this wave, I'm going to have to work on Stabilization. That's when it's going to get hard for me. I only got to week two in the past and then I left for a holiday. When I got back, my centre had closed down.
I never really learned what to do and the weight slowly crept up.
I'm comfortable with losing the weight.... that system is imbedded into me.... it has become part of my life. Unfortunately I never learned how to stabilize and maintain my weight.
It's going to be a hard lesson with ups and downs.... I could surely use your help and expertise!

Anyway... sorry for not responding to your post yesterday.... I was a little excited that I reached my goal.
You are doing fantastic!
You're right, the 35+ diet sounds a lot like LAWL. So it should really work out for you. You need to find out what works best for you at this point in your life and go with it.
I like the fact that it has no bars.
I have to get off of them. But I'm not really sure what to substitute them with.

Old 04-11-2013, 12:31 PM   #116

I think there are have been occasional mentions on the 3FC boards of how many starch and protein servings you add to make up for the bars. I wonder if a search of old posts could yield that information. I think when I went in 2005-2007, the counselors never suggested that you should skip the bars (no $$$ for them!) and were always trying to get you to buy their supplements.

I wish LAWL would come back like Weight Watchers and have meetings in churches and libraries at a minimal cost. I know a group rah-rah session once a week would not be the same as the three weigh-ins I used to have a week, but it is a good program and could have new life in a lower-overhead operation. A girl can only dream, right?
Old 04-11-2013, 01:06 PM   #117

Thanks for the information... I'll look into it. There are so many threads, agh!
I just think it would be good for me to try and maintain wthout the bars and then do the stabilization.
Or should I stabilize and then cut out the bars?
What do you think?

Old 04-11-2013, 01:37 PM   #118

I was thinking for the colored plans, that to do the program without the bars, you went up to the next higher colored plan and did that one without the bars to make for the lost calories in the lower program.

I'm not sure if your Canadian program was different, or if your were on the numbered plan. I think there were a lot of people from Canada on the boards back in the day, so you could probably just search "canada lawl" and see what pops up! Maybe they would have the old maintenance tips.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:37 PM   #119

Still 139.0 lbs
I like seeing that number!

I'm on the numbered plan. Number 1.
I started the program on colour (gold) and then they switched to numbers and I was put on Number 1 right away. I continued on that until I reached my desired weight.

I'm searching but having a hard time finding out the info i need. So... I am continuing with my bars until I find the answer. Besides i have so many.
I guess they're good to have as a back up when you can not simply think of what to eat!

How are you doing with the 35+ this week? Any more progress? I'll bet the weight is just falling off.

Old 04-12-2013, 02:31 PM   #120

I'll weigh in on Monday. I have a lady's club luncheon tomorrow and hope I don't stray too badly. It is the ultimate trap. You pay $20 for the meeting and luncheon and for that price, you will definitely want a bit of bacon and a muffin to go along with the fresh fruit. It is not a friendly world out there for dieters, and skipping the meeting is not an option because I am in charge of hospitality and need to be there to meet and greet new members. So I will just have to work extra-hard on Sunday, and also not overeat tomorrow.
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.