January 2011 Chatter_LAWL

You're on Page 4 of 7
Go to
  • Joan.....my DH and I go to the gym together quite often. He is one of those jerks that start going to the gym and lose any excess body fat they had in 4 weeks.....starts showing definintion right away......can cardio for hours....blah, blah, blah. But, I have discovered that I am pretty tough myself .....just have this extra layer around everything that hides a lot of my progress. Ha. Good for you for working out a plan. We have tons of fun at the gym.

We have been working on our house like crazy lately. It is good, cuz so much of this work needs to be done...but everything else sure is suffering....say the laundry mountain that has grown arms and and mouth and laughs and tries to grab me when I walk by it.. It is not easy being a construction worker housewife/mom. I love it, but it can be a bit frustrating.

Ok, have to run....the kids have today off, and my DS, Andrew, who is 6, informed me that he has Monday off too, "cuz it's the King's Birthday." Ha!
    XOXO
  • Hey there!

I posted a few days ago, but have been so busy, I couldn't come back! I was able to finish reading thru my friend's stuff and I started yeaterday. I am dying to jump on the scale, but will wait til tomorrow am.

Jillian-you've lost so much weight, that's awesome! You're very inspirational!

Nicole- My bff has 3 kids uner 5, so I know how hectic life can be. Kudos to you for going to the gym! And your weightloss is great too! Skinny minnies here!

Hoochie- it's nice that you have someone to work out with. I'm single right now, so I'm jealous!

aguerin- that's a lot of snow for AL!

I've worked out yesterday and today with my wii fit. I know that doesn't seem like much to you major exercisers, but I was sweating!

Have a good weekend! I cant wait to report m loss!
  • What's your favorite on plan recipie? I am looking for something to add to my menu. I have been eating Mexican chicken pitas and burritos and throwing in some fish or a filet every now and then.
  • My surgery is tomorrow morning and I'm so ready to just do this. I'm got tons to do so that's nice-it's a great distraction and is tiring me out. Every now and then I'm slammed with the reality of the situation and freak out a bit. I'm nervous and I'm sure I'll be a mess in the morning. I just hope I made the right decision. I waited until today to explain things to my daughter (4)-not sure what she really understands. She told my mom on the phone that i'm going to the doctor to have my tummy made smaller.

So yeah-I think I've got everything I need, the house is quite clean so my mom won't have to do too much, and I'm pretty sure I got work sorted out so they don't need to ask me anything for at least a couple of days.

Now i'm going to go update my netflix queue and maybe mop the floor . . . hopefully you'll be hearing from me soon.
  • Juliemarie- I hope your surgery goes well. You are doing something positive for yourself. I'll be thinking of you!

Today I started TO since I didnt do it last weekend as planned. I havent eaten much today but I feel really full. It's strange this time. I have been drinking the knudsens nectar mixed with water in place of the TO juice and I am feeling so bloated!
    Tonight is an awesome green salad and some chicken with broccoli..yummy!
    Okay gotta run.

Joan
  • I'll be thinking about you tomorrow JM! Good luck!

As for me..I'm still holding strong at 153. No biggie though..still plugging away at my workouts, eating, fitday tracking, etc.

Welcome to the new peeps, it's good to have you!
  • Jm, I guess you probably already had the surgery. I hope all is well.

Jillian, Reading your attitude towards what the scale is doing helps me to be more patient with my own weight loss journey. 153 looks pretty good on you though, so I can understand how you are just fine being where you are. When I really think about it, I'm so much happier having lost the weight I already have(again!) as I do sleep a lot sounder (no snoring) and I do think it is better for my bad feet to have less weight on them.
  • Wow Jillian, Would I ever like to weigh 153!!!!!

Today is day two on TO. My DH is doing it with me for the first time. He just sent me an email at work to tell me that his lunch was amazing and really healthy too. He said he didnt think a lunch that healthy would taste so good!!!
    I may have a changed man!!!!
    I think its taking time to find new recipes that are simple and fit into my lifestyle. I have been trying all kinds of new recipes and its been kinda fun!
    Can't wait to weight in tomorrow to see how this TO did!!

Joan
  • Quote: My surgery is tomorrow morning and I'm so ready to just do this. I'm got tons to do so that's nice-it's a great distraction and is tiring me out. Every now and then I'm slammed with the reality of the situation and freak out a bit. I'm nervous and I'm sure I'll be a mess in the morning. I just hope I made the right decision. I waited until today to explain things to my daughter (4)-not sure what she really understands. She told my mom on the phone that i'm going to the doctor to have my tummy made smaller.

So yeah-I think I've got everything I need, the house is quite clean so my mom won't have to do too much, and I'm pretty sure I got work sorted out so they don't need to ask me anything for at least a couple of days.

Now i'm going to go update my netflix queue and maybe mop the floor . . . hopefully you'll be hearing from me soon.
    JM - Sending out all sorts of positive vibes and cyber-love to you! Hope everything went OK and here's to a speedy recovery- I'm so happy for you!
  • OK, so we had a snow day yesterday, and I didn't know it - came in to work without even a thought of checking the TV! I stayed for about an hour and got some stuff done, then headed home. Luckily I only live about 5 minutes away. Idiot.

Everything is going well, although slower now that I have started working out more. That always happens to me, so I am not freaking out. Too much. Well, maybe a little Seriously, though, I am always happier working out than not - I am lucky in that I build muscle fairly quickly so I tend to see results after a short time.

Barbara - I am sleeping better now too. For a while my DH was quite unhappy that I was snoring, and I don't anymore - of course, HE DOES! (totally not weight-related for him) He is driving me insane with the snoring - he has a deviated septum and all sorts of allergies, plus now he has a cold. Ugh.

We used to work out together too, in our home gym. That was fun - but then I got hooked on classes, so I go to a gym, which DH is not into. When we worked out together it was good because we made each other do it. The only pain was that we had to do out cardio at seperate times, so someone had to go first, then workout together and then the other did cardio. That took up time.
  • Cassie's horseradish parmesan tilapia
    BAJ - I always liked the tilapia recipe from Cassie, and the beef and potato casserole recipe- I did a search and found them both:

Found the tilapia recipe:

Quote: I also recommend the Horseradish Parmesan Tilapia.

1P, 1/2D, C

The amounts are kind of a guess, since I do this by eyeballing it. You could also grill or broil the fish, but I like the brown coating that the garllic powder gives when it's panfried.

1 Tilapia Fillet (size according to plan)
    Cooking Spray
    Morton's Lite Salt
    Pepper
    Garlic Powder
    Onion Powder
    Horseradish Sauce
    1 oz Kraft Reduced Fat Grated Parmesan

Spray skillet with cooking spray and preheat over medium-high heat.

Place fish on paper towel and pat dry. Sprinkle each side with Morton's Lite Salt, Pepper, Garlic Powder and Onion Powder (maybe 1/8 tsp each side of the garlic powder and onion powder, a little less for the salt and pepper).

Place fish in the pan and cook until the sides start to become opaque (a little less than five minutes).

Spray the top of the fish with the cooking spray and flip the fish. Keep cooking for another five minutes or so. You will know the fish is done when you insert a fork in the thickest part and it flakes. If you aren't sure how that should be, try putting the fork in the side where you know it is done. It should feel the same way in the middle.

Remove fish to serving plate. Drizzle horseradish sauce on top, and top with parmesan.

Also, I like Boars Head horseradish sauce, or some other "saucy" kind. I have found the Kraft to be too much like mayo. It's too thick to get all over the fish.
  • OK, here's the other recipe: When I used to male this I used frozen shredded potatoes instead of fries - lower in fat, cals, and sodium.

Quote: I haven't tried this one yet but it was a recipe makeover from the la chef online

Cheeseburger and Fries Casserole

Ingredients:

2 pounds lean ground beef or lean ground turkey breast
    2 cups shredded, reduced-fat cheddar cheese
    ½ cup 1% milk
    1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed reduced-fat, reduced-sodium mushroom soup, undiluted
    1 (20 ounce) package frozen French fries

Preparation:

In a skillet brown the beef and drain excess fat.
    Stir in the cheese, milk, and soup.
    Pour into a 9 x 13-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray.
    Arrange French fries on top.
    Bake uncovered for 50 to 55 minutes at 350 degrees F, or until the fries are golden brown.

Makes: 8 servings

Serving size: 1/8 recipe

LA Exchange: 1 Protein, 1 Starch, 1 Fat, 1/2 Dairy, 1 Condiment
  • OK, and my final post of the day - just a reminiscence:

While searching for the above recipes, I was noodling through the threads from our groups "Glory Days" - and realized how many people I have "met" on these boards (pre-facebook era) and would just like to thank all of you for being a great support system for me throughout these 4 (!) years. I still prefer this board to posting all sorts of stuff on FB, I dunno - I guess I like our little world here better. Anyway - thanks to all of you - old and new - for the support, even now that we are all on our own plans.

PS - The January 2007 thread was 80 yes, 8-0 PAGES LONG! Holy cow, we talked a LOT back then!
  • Kim, Wow! we'll be lucky if this January we have 8 pages. It used to take more time to read the posts, that's for sure. I guess with LAWL petering out it is kind of amazing the forum keeps going at all, except for the awesomness of those who post, which is why I keep coming back. I need support to keep fighting the beast that is obesity. Since whenever I don't fight it, the beast wins and steals my happiness and health.

I was really embarassed that I snored like I did... and that losing weight had stopped that curse and then I gained enough back to have it back! And every 5 pounds more seemed to turn the volume up a bit. You don't realize how bad the impact was until it is gone. My mom said her memory is much improved after she lost over 30 pounds on weight watchers, and I think it was the stopping snoring for her too, since when you get good sleep you just feel so much more energetic, and less likely to think that that pack of oreos just might give you the energy to make it through the afternoon.

I managed to get back to gym to spin class this morning. It is just harder the first few weeks of January, since it suddenly is crowded, but the crowds seem to be dying down quicker this year. My DH and I have been going to the same classes with the same group of regulars for over 4 years. It helps to keep you going if someone is going to notice if you don't show up. Skip one or two classes and the next one is killer, and today was killer.. so was Saturday... Its been harder since they cancelled about half the classes a few months ago, so if you don't make Monday, there isn't really one for Tuesday.
  • JM....I hope you are resting somewhat comfortably with lots and lots of pain meds Recovery is so difficult with a little one. I am sure you have prepared a kick a$$ support team to help with Josie. I cannot WAIT to hear from you and know that all went well

Kim...Kim.....Kim....we had it going on back in 2007, didn't we? I think none of us did much work back then...it was more like a chat room than a forum. Good times, good times.

All new ladies....jump right in. This is an awesome board. If noone repsonds to you, it is merely because they are sneaking in two minutes between real life tasks. If you stick with us, you will be happy you did.

Jillian....you are super hot at 153. I was just thinking today that you really do need to set a goal number. More on that later

Ok, must go......phone is ringing off the hook.
    XOXO