Closed Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 09:36 PM   #76  

S/C/G: 304/294/200

Hello everyone!!!

Too much going on for me, so no time to write to each of you, but I have read everything posted and continue to be inspired by all of you. Thank you for sharing your journey here. It is so helpful, especially since I am struggling. The good news is, even though I have slipped up many times in the past week, it has been nowhere near as bad as anything previous. At times I have ate unhealthy food, but not huge portions. I have mostly been on track. I have mostly been out walking every day. I have mostly been planning my food.

I know a big part of the issue for me right now is I am super busy. But that is always a problem for me. It is a matter of finding ways to always priorize my health over everything else. I feel that I am making progress, just not as fast and as consistent as I want. However, another hurdle for me is to get rid of my all-or-nothing thinking which in the past has sabotaged every attempt at weight loss. So I am learning and I am still in the game.

So tomorrow I will- eat 3 healthy meals and 2 healthy snacks. Walk twice (even though it is sooo cold). Do weights. Give myself credit. Weigh in. Read the cards.

I also wanted to add:

---Happy Birthday Shepherdess.

---Welcome PrairieChick. I am also an (old) chick living on the Canadian prairies.

---And to gardenerjoy- very sorry about your brother's significant other. This seemed to happen so fast. And seems so unfair. Take care
Old 12-09-2009, 09:45 PM   #77  
Practicing Imperfection

Hi All,
Surfacing briefly here. Walked 6400+ steps and did Zumba, credit. Came close to calorie goal, credit. Threw out the last of the potato chips I unwisely bought, credit. I need to practice accepting that whatever size I buy is one serving, even if it's six. . .
Well, Off to bed.
Old 12-09-2009, 11:47 PM   #78  
I deserve to feel good!

S/C/G: 149/128/123(next goal)

Height: 4'11"

Default Wednesday December 9th

Buddies/Coaches: Mom is driving me nuts! Feeling very cranky by this evening. DBF and I went to a meetup group and played volleyball for a couple of hours and now I feel SO much better

Weigh-In: 0=126.5
Response Cards: yes
Advantage Deck: yes
Checked In Here: yes

Goodnight!
Old 12-10-2009, 12:16 AM   #79  

Height: 5'7"

Coaches/Buddies Another quick check in tonight. On plan today in the face of meeting food. Got my walk in, which was supposed to be a run, but I'm still feeling lousy, so Oh Well. I'm freezing and it is only 40 deg here. Don't remember how to be cold for real.

Doc thinks I may have a thyroid issue. Blood drawn so we'll see. Can't imagine that after all this time that is what it would be.

Anne
Old 12-10-2009, 05:39 AM   #80  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Thursday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Last night we attended a stand-up Christmas party that is known to serve unusual, top-shelf food and desserts. I planed for it with the goal to enjoy it fully but not to stuff myself. I won; CREDIT moi. Had steak tartare - first time in years - and limited amounts of the other main foods. Then a peppermint schnapps cookie with Godiva dipping chocolate which sounded like it was the best choice of the evening but wasn't. The cookie was ordinary and the Godiva was milk chocolate. Then an English shortbread cookie with pumpkin mousse - now THAT was special. Avoided all liquid calories and hoards of other foods and sweets. Ditched my plate and socialized. CREDIT moi again.

Squeezed in a trip to the gym in the rain before the party; CREDIT moi. That got my head in the right place to remember that I wasn't a victim of the offered food.

onebyone - Congrats on the scale surprise. Kudos for "consistent enough that some of the weight has decided to drop off" - consistency can do that to you.

Anne (wndranne) - Kudos for facing down "meeting food" - that's it's own challenge. Ouch for the thyroid possibility. That seems so out of the blue for a person as active as you are.

ChinaMaine - Yay for Response Cards working their magic without even reading them. Kudos for tolerating "non-hunger without eating."

Kim (bennyhannamama) - Yay for volleyball to sooth interactions with your mom. Methinks Beck would like that strategy.

Margaret (Nuxmaga) - I love hearing "Zumba" just for the sound of the word, LOL. Kudos for tossing the remaining potato chips - Yep, a bag is a serving in my world - independent of size.

Shepherdess - It's hard to fully concentrate on a meal; I've rarely done it. I either read the morning paper, do email, or chat with DW for my three meals. LOL at your 3 year old nephew spotting the turnips.

Ruth (Ruthxxx) - Waving quietly so as not to disturb your reading.

CeeJay - Ouch for struggling and super busy. Kudos for seeing your own progress and for accepting that it's progress even if not as rapid as you'd like. Certainly sounds to me like you're moving forward and "still in the game."

Kim (PrairieChick) - Come out East and we'll show you snow that not only sticks together but then forms a crust on top that punishes those who are tardy in their shoveling, LOL.

Readers -
Quote:
day 12
Practice Hunger Tolerance

You'll then be able to turn your attention to other things, and the hunger pangs will gradually diminish. If you've never allowed yourself to feel hungry or very hungry, you might not believe me when I tell you that if you're hungry and don't respond immediately by eating, then your hunger will definitely subside.

The Beck Diet Solution, pg 121.

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 12-10-2009 at 08:24 AM.
Old 12-10-2009, 08:00 AM   #81  

S/C/G: 220/168/145

Height: 5'4"

Default Wednesday Hump Day

I’m exhausted and still having difficulty doing my exercise. I may need to step back from exercise for a week or so until my body recovers from whatever it is that’s bothering me. But, this has happened before in the last year, and I always come back full steam if I just give myself room to recover. Oh well…
WI-up .4 lbs. Read my cards, made a plan, read my cards. Food – op; Exercise – off-plan – (30m)

The Good
- Identified hunger vs non-hunger every time I ate – credit!
- Eat mindfully, enjoying every bite – mostly, so credit!
- Tolerated non-hunger without eating – credit!
- I posted here – credit!
- Used resistance techniques – credit! I was hungry after my snack last night and I wanted to check my calories for the day to see if I could squeeze in some string cheese. But I picked up my response cards instead. DH asked me about them, so I showed him a couple. He found them quite amusing, and had to physically keep himself from laughing outloud. Harrumph! But I didn’t eat the snack, so there!

The Bad,
- Spontaneous exercise – nope

and The Ugly
- Give credit throughout the day for every positive eating behavior – nope.
Old 12-10-2009, 08:11 AM   #82  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

back at Bill and the other Beckerites. (Is that the term?)

Yes, I am reading the book - one chapter every morning with my second coffee. I am not on track but at least I know where the track is and where I can get a GPS to guide me along.

Today I have healthy meals planned and partially executed so no excuses.

Another baking tip, if you coat your hands with olive oil before putting on the surgical gloves, the olive oil makes your hands very soft and soaks in completely. The inside of the glove wasn't one bit greasy when I took them off. Credit Moi: I did not sample one bit of baking yesterday. (The coriander and ginger pork meatballs were another matter. )
Old 12-10-2009, 10:48 AM   #83  

S/C/G: 137/137/125

Height: 5'3"

Yesterday was just a bit warmer and the sun was shining. I layered up and headed out for a very short run. It took me a while to talk myself up to it, but I eventually made it out the door. The wind came up as I was heading back, but it felt good to exercise outside. I did some jump roping when I got back to the house since the run was so short. Food was good yesterday, and I was paying attention (most of the time) so there’s some improvement there.

PrairieChick, yes, jump roping can be jarring on the joints. It’s just like any other activity. You have to start slow and ease into it, but stepping is a great indoor exercise. Stick with what you are comfortable doing.

Onebyone, kudos on dropping a few lbs and for turning down food. Yep, it’s those little changes kept up consistently that add up to lost lbs. Walking in the snow is a great spontaneous exercise.

CeeJay, kudos for consistent exercise and for staying mostly on track. That all-or-nothing mentality is a killer. Good for you for getting rid of it. It takes just a little bit at a time to work these healthy habits into your life, but it will make a big difference in the long run.

Nuxmaga, good job throwing out those chips. LOL that “whatever size I buy is one serving, even if it's six.” That’s always a struggle. The only way I can deal with it is to portion out servings immediately and put the container far away.

Bennyhannamamma, sorry your mother is driving you nuts, but good job getting away to work out your frustration on the Volleyball court.

Wndranne, good job getting a walk in even if it was supposed to be a run. I hope that you’ll figure out what is sapping all your energy. I’m impressed that you met food and were able to walk away.

BillBE, I’m so impressed at your success at the Christmas party. It’s great that you chose what you were going to treat yourself with and enjoyed those choices in reasonable portions.

ChinaMaine, giving yourself room to recover is a good strategy. It does no good to try to force yourself to do strenuous exercise that will just prolong your cold. Yay for the cards helping you turn down an extra evening snack, even if your dh did find them funny. I actually try to throw a bit of humor into my cards. I already feel like they are so dorky (and yes, helpful). Throwing in a bit of humor seems to help.

Ruthxxx, kudos for finding the track and for getting your meals planned! Glad you getting a start on the book. I love the olive oil inside the gloves trick. Thanks for the tip.
Old 12-10-2009, 11:49 AM   #84  
New ME in 2010!

Thumbs up Thursday - 12/10/09

Good Morning fellow Coaches & Buddies!

Well, I'm going to be on the mend real soon! Doctor gave me a HEAVY antibiotic and a NEW prescription I didn't even know existed (well, I'm NOT in the medical field) Tessalon Perle - they look like little tiny golden round candies that you swallow! Suppose to help in the coughing! They work pretty good too! She (my doctor) said I should start to feel much better by Friday, that's just tomorrow!

CeeJay - thank you SO much for the welcome! This group is so positive and a wonderful help to me personally. I am learning something NEW every day! BTW - did you call me OLD??? LOL - I am only as old as I think - still think I am in my High School years! I come from a line of LONG livers (about 2 ft. long - BAD JOKE), my grandmother just pasted away this year - she was born in 1899 - she was in assisted living - got kicked out of a nursing home when she was 102 - she recouped from a fall and just did not qualify to be there! After 2 days, I had to move her from there to her new location in assisting living! She had been on her own until that!

Nuxmaga - WTG! keep it up!

Kim (bennyhannamama) - I with ya - just remember - your "Visitor" is just that...visiting...it soon will be over - take DEEP BREATHS and count to 10.

Anne (wndranne) - I was diagnosed with Hypo-Thyroid a long time ago - count your blessings that your doctor is doing the blood test. Many doctors will just overlook this issue. Keep us informed. I'm do'n well on med's for my condition - just make sure you and your doctor use the SAME lab while testing and getting your med's right - it is VERY important!

Bill (BillBlueEyes) - Yep, I feel for ya on the snow - ours will blow out of state sometimes. We do have a crust of snow STILL on the ground from October - sure that happens to you too! We will just have to make a huddle here - to KEEP WARM!

Shepardess - I agree with the jarring on the joints - but as a child, I really enjoyed jump rope. Remember the play ground and the chants we would come up with? In time - I would like to start do'n it again - but little changes at a time - will make a lifetime of GOOD Health!

Have a wonderful day everyone!
Old 12-10-2009, 01:04 PM   #85  
Wastin' Away Again!

S/C/G: 192/170/130

Height: 5'3" 50 years old

Hey BECKstars!!!!

wndranne ~
Good for you for eating OP and getting that walk in! - so what if it's not a "run"? Walking is EXCELLENT exercise!
I'm sorry you feel icky, tho.

Bill ~
YAY! for avoiding the liquid calories and other foods and sweets. And WOOHOO for ditching the plate & just socializing! (Altho I'm not sure what a "stand-up" Xmas party is... ??) And congrats for that squeezed in gym trip! - I commend you!!!

ChinaMaine ~ Yippee! for eating OP!!! and CREDIT for using the resistance techniques and SUPER CREDIT for picking up your response cards instead of having unplanned snackage! You go girl!!!

Ruthxxx ~
YES! -Beckerites IS a term just as much as BECKstars! YAY for reading the book! - I read the first 14 days before even attempting to start my diet, so you're doing great! So YES YOU ARE on track!! You can do this!!!

Shepherdess ~ A "short run" is better than "no run" - so CREDIT!!! - and I agree, it DOES feel good to exercise outside. Yesterday was 79 degrees here! - I was sweating during my walk! - today it's 57!!! So I had to grab the jacket & gloves! Lotsssss of wind out by the river!

PrairieChick ~ Glad you got your antibiotic and you'll hopefully stop the coughing soon! Ugh! - I hate being sick! Feel better!!!

AS FOR ME.... I'm eating very healthy and exercising when the weather permits. The husband & I plan to get a Wii soon, so I can enjoy some indoor fun-type exercise (we have a weight-gym & a stationery bike, but that bores me!)

I've noticed that I sometimes feel a bit "over-full" even when I eat OP and don't overeat. Usually at dinner, but sometimes at lunch and even once at breakfast. I guess that means my stomach is shrinking a bit? If so ... then WHOOPEE!!!! I am semi-stuck on -9.0 lbs, but I feel confident the scale will move again soon.

Remember - EVERYDAY'S A NEW DAY!

Last edited by Beach Patrol; 12-10-2009 at 01:08 PM.
Old 12-10-2009, 04:16 PM   #86  
New ME in 2010!

Thumbs up Reply to Beach Patrol, 12/10/09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Patrol View Post
Hey BECKstars!!!!
PrairieChick ~ Glad you got your antibiotic and you'll hopefully stop the coughing soon! Ugh! - I hate being sick! Feel better!!!

Remember - EVERYDAY'S A NEW DAY!

Awww Beach Patrol....Thank you SO MUCH!
My doctor said the med's would and that I would feel like - I BELIEVE her now!

Starting to work on the Christmas Cards - a little late -
DUH!!! Wonder why

Then I HOPE to get the house decorated on Friday! OH
That is TOMORROW!!!
oh no...wrong Holiday! Must be the meds!
Old 12-10-2009, 09:45 PM   #87  

Hello everyone

PrairieChick - hope you are feeling much better on the new antibiotic. I did not mean to call you old, what I meant was to call myself old. Chick sounds young which you may be but I am not. Your grandmother sounds awesome. My great grandmother lived until 98. Isn't it wonderful to have the privlege of knowing someone with so many years of experience.

Beach Patrol- Kuddos for healthy eating and exercising. Just keep doing what you are doing and the scale will move.

Shepherdess- Good for you for running ouside, eating well and paying attention.

Ruthxxx- glad that you reading the book. I think you will find alot in there that makes sense. Good for you for planning your meals.

ChinaMaine - sorry you are feeling so unwell. I think your decision to stop exercising until you recover is probably a good one. Your "good" list is pretty impressive. LOL re your DH laughing at the response cards.

BillBlueEyes- you did great at the party. Partys are so hard. Lots of credit for that.

wndranne- excellent being on plan in the face of the meeting food. Hope you have some answers from the doctor soon.

bennyhannahmama - sympathy re your mom. Volleyball sounds like a good antidote.

Nuxmaga - Good riddance to the potato chips. LOL so true that whatever size it is, it is one serving. Brilliant.

For me today, all I can say is: I was at our staff Christmas luncheon-- I came, I saw, I ate (everything and lots of it). It is so hard for me to get past the feeling that there are certain times overeating unhealthy food is OK- parties, restaurants, hotel stays, vacations, birthdays, Christmas, Easter, Thanksgiving.... You get the drift eh? The thing that really bugs me is I did not even really try. My intentions of eating my normal lunch early at the office and then just sticking to the veg platter at the party went out the window. My resistance muscle is not being used much these past few days.

Hoping you all do what you want to do tomorrow. I am going to keep trying.
Old 12-10-2009, 11:06 PM   #88  

Also wanted to ask if anyone here using the Beck Diet Solution Weight Loss Workbook? Just wondering if it is worth purchasing.

thanks
Old 12-10-2009, 11:22 PM   #89  
I deserve to feel good!

S/C/G: 149/128/123(next goal)

Height: 4'11"

Default Thursday December 10th

Coaches/Buddies:
Feel things kind of slipping through my fingers Need to get my focus back. I could be doing MUCH worse though. Big difference from the past, even though I'm struggling, I'm still posting here.

Weigh-In: 0=126.5
Response Cards: no
Advantages Deck: no
Check in Here: yes
Old 12-11-2009, 06:15 AM   #90  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Friday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Still mulling over the Christmas party of the prior evening. DW says that we ate about a normal meal. The big deal for me is that before my journey, I'd pig out because the food was so good. For the earlier trips there while on my journey I ate at the upper end of my allowance at least. But worse, I felt out of control; I felt the gotta-stuff-myself feelings of the old days. This time I didn't. I still had to plan and had to wrestle myself to ditch my plate so I couldn't eat more, but I didn't feel out of control. So that's progress. CREDIT moi again.

At dinner last night I stopped two thirds through a pork chop; CREDIT moi. It's still unusual for me to stop before I clean my plate. Good news is that'll be my lunch today.

ChinaMaine - I remember you taking a break from exercising and then recovering fully. Kudos for having a clear perspective on that. I too have found that my SO isn't terribly appreciative of the effort it takes me to get my eating under control. There are some situations where it is legal for a gentle wop over the head with an iron skillet to help a DH catch on, LOL.

Kim (bennyhannamama) - Hope all is going okayishly with your mom visiting. Kudos for posting even while struggling.

Beach Patrol - Neat that you can identify "over-full" after it's happened - good step to be able to stop earlier and work you way out of the clean-plate club that's a problem for me. I used "stand-up" to describe a party where no one sits at all; it's not possible to follow Beck's strategy of sitting while eating.

Shepherdess - It's that transition to just get out the door that's the big hurdle isn't it. Kudos for making that in the cold and for giving yourself credit..

Ruth (Ruthxxx) - Love the notion of Beck as a GPS to guide us. Drooling here over the thought of your "coriander and ginger pork meatballs."

CeeJay - What's worked for me to deal with the over eating during special occasions is to plan, plan, plan. When I'd try to eat well spontaneously, my resistance muscle never entered the picture. Kudos for recognizing what you're eating and working to get on top of it. I know that onebyone likes the workbook. I created Excel spreadsheets of all the check lists so that I wasn't drawn to get the workbook myself.

Kim (PrairieChick) - Good grief, "crust of snow STILL on the ground from October" - October was a long time ago. Hope the new meds work their magic.

Readers -
Quote:
day 12
Practice Hunger Tolerance

Today's task will help you see that you can tolerate hunger and that it comes and goes. Today, or one day very soon (you can choose what works with your schedule), I'd like you to purposely skip lunch. (Don't do this if a medical condition, such as Diabetes, requires you to eat regularly.) Doing so will help you to realize that hunger is not an emergency. In fact, I think you'll find that it's not nearly as uncomfortable a sensation as you now believe.

The Beck Diet Solution, pg 121.
Closed Thread