3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   LA Weight Loss (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/la-weight-loss-171/)
-   -   I'm overwhelmed by all the diet info (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/la-weight-loss/187246-im-overwhelmed-all-diet-info.html)

mkendrick 11-30-2009 11:24 AM

I'm overwhelmed by all the diet info

I have completely avoided the whole diet thing. I've always been overweight, but losing weight just seemed like such a daunting and impossible task that I kept putting it off.

Well now I'm serious about it, but I'm overwhelmed by all the diet and exercise plans. Right now I think I'm doing okay...I've been eating around 1100-1300 calories of as much whole foods as I can. I've cut out pop, candy, and other junk. I exercise by walking/jogging for 30 min every other day and also my job is very physical (I work at a barn, lots of lifting and other tough physical things). I have lost 8lbs in about a month.

Don't get me wrong, in the few days that I've been a member here, 3FC has been invaluable. However, with all these inspiring stories comes an overload of information. I do not know what the South Beach diet is or how to follow a Weight Watchers plan. My exercise plan is simple and weak compared to others. I don't know how to do a proper squat, and I don't have weights.

I guess my diet just seems so simple and weak. I'm having a hard time keeping up with all the information for it to make sense.

Windchime 11-30-2009 11:31 AM

Actually, your plan sounds GREAT to me! Nothing simple or weak about it, in my opinion. Different plans work for different people. Some folks have figured out that carbs really trigger binges and weight-loss stalls; for them, a low-carb plan such as Atkins may be the best. Others don't care for counting calories and find the point-counting of Weight Watchers to be best for them. Yet others, like you and I, prefer the calorie counting method.

You are doing extremely well with your weight loss. I say--stick with what is working for you! I read some threads in the other forums (Weight Watchers, Atkins, etc) but for the most part I can't really contribute there because I don't know anything about those plans and I don't want to lead someone astray by offering advice that is contrary to the plan. So yeah, it's overwhelming if you try to keep all that stuff straight!

Everyone needs to do what works best for them, and it seems to me that you have hit on a plan that is perfect for you at this time. You may (or may not!) need to tweak it later, but for now, I say stick with what works for YOU. :)

nelie 11-30-2009 11:34 AM

For many people, a structured diet plan helps them a lot and if you choose to follow those plans, then you can certainly talk with others on those plan.

Not everyone has an exercise plan, some people have structured exercise plans and some have a mix of the 2.

I really wouldn't worry about what others are doing. For me, I've never really followed a structured plan but I found something that worked for me. It seems like you have as well.

srmb60 11-30-2009 11:38 AM

At the risk of being bonked over the head for repeating myself ad nauseum ....

The basic is "eat less, move more" ... any details et al are window trimming. There are worthy plans from very very simple to very very complex. Please do not doubt what is working for you.

bargoo 11-30-2009 12:00 PM

Do what works for you. It is OK to experiment until you find what works best for you. I tried many before learning that calorie counting works best for me. I agree , too , that eating less and moving more is very effective.

kaplods 11-30-2009 12:41 PM

It can be a bit like going to the giant mega-mall with a simple shopping list of a couple items, and seeing such an assortment of things you didn't know existed, that you start to question your list.

Your list is working for you, so you don't need to be distracted by the flash of other people's plans. Most of what you find here, isn't exactly information, but opinions. Some are opinions based on facts, and others are opinions based on feelings or experience.

I'm not discounting anyone's opinion, but when you want factual information - this is not the best place for it. Not because you won't find it here, but because you may not recognize it when you see it. So for now, take it ALL as opinion. You may find suggestions and advice that sound like something you would like to try, or are otherwise curious about. So that you don't get pulled in 10,000 directions - write it down in a notebook - and forget about it, until you think you need it.

You don't have to become a diet expert to lose weight. Simple self-invented plans often work just as well, if not better than ones based on best-selling books. Some popular diets are just someone else's "simple-plan" written down. It only seems complicated to the people who didn't invent it, and are trying to learn it. There's no need for you to learn it, if you're happy with your own plan.

Once you get familiar with the place, I think you'll be less overwhelmed. In many ways, coming here is like coming to a big mall. It is easy to get distracted by all the "stuff" that is available, but once you get your bearings, you remember your list.

beerab 11-30-2009 12:48 PM

I think it's all trial and error- I started cutting out junk and moving more and drinking more water. THEN when I stalled I found out that because of my medical condition it was better for me to go with a lower carb diet overall- which has worked for me :)

cathydoe 11-30-2009 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SusanB (Post 3028937)
At the risk of being bonked over the head for repeating myself ad nauseum ....

The basic is "eat less, move more" ... any details et al are window trimming. There are worthy plans from very very simple to very very complex. Please do not doubt what is working for you.

It is YOUR plan. Period. We are all different. I love what Susan wrote... The basic is "eat less, move more" How simple that sounds...and it is... but it isn't :dizzy::):D

bargoo 11-30-2009 10:34 PM

I always try to make a point of saying what worked for me. I am willing to share that and if it help someone that's OK , if not I will not be offended if you choose something else. We are all different in our choices. We all want to lose weight, however.

Lori259 11-30-2009 10:45 PM

Counting Calories...is the key~YOUR PLAN SOUNDS GREAT.
GOODLUCK!

julesp313 12-01-2009 05:11 PM

I'd like to "ditto" everyone who said it's your plan and whatever works for you is the best plan for you. I personally have done Weight Watchers before (many times!) and I like the theory behind it, which is essentially calorie counting, so that's what I'm doing now.

The one thing I would like to suggest is that if and when you do want to step into a different realm of exercise - say, strength training - have at least one session with a trainer. Strength training is phenomenal for health, weight loss, and toning but you need to be safe when doing it - a trainer can show you a bunch of good, basic moves that will give you a full workout and you can challenge yourself as you get fitter and stronger by using heavier weights, more reps, harder variations, etc. When I joined a gym four years ago - the first time ever I have had a membership for more than a year! - I treated myself to six sessions with a trainer and I have used those lessons ever since.