Closed Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 08:47 PM   #181  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

Hi Everyone

Anne~ the park was good, and cold I forgot how the wind whips across that big open space!

Bill~ I thought of the small glass!!! Even used it!!!! Kudos for me but the wine was really really good!!

Sheperdress~ Big Kudos for mindful eating while out in a social situation! Good for you!

Annz~

ChinaMiane~ I love the idea of making a dvd of all the phots! That sounds wonderful.

Ceejay~ how was your afternoon on the ATV??? Kudos for 3 great days too!

Joy~ Sending supportive thoughts for your family.

Today was a big "take care of me" day. I started planning it on friday. The stress from everything has been beyond manageable again. So I took the bull by the horns.

Simply because this is my "wall". This is what stops me dead in my tracks from reaching my full potential. We are growing the business by what seems like weekly. I love it, because I love the creativitiy of it all. But balancing home and work is getting extremely difficult.

So......

Today 9am I was at the gym. Spent 1.75 hours working out. It literally took my body .67 miles on the treadmill to kick in the endorphins. I was really dragging my butt, tired, wanted to just get to my mile and Id move onto my weights. But something kicked in!! All the pain in my chest, neck and arms dissappeared. I pushed myself because I was feeling so good to 2 miles!! Awesome!!

12 noon....headed off to the life coach to help me straighten out and figure out how to alleviate the stress and pressure I put on myself. What was interesting was several techniques and thought processes very similar to Dr. Beck's teachings.

Be mindful of my eating.......Be mindful of my breathing....be mindful of what is happening to my body before it reaches the overflow etc etc.

The reason I went to go see her was because, I had asked her for suggestions on a good book to help relieve stress. She sent me back this book of an email telling me the last thing I needed was another book on my table that I was going to stress over reading and learning.

she was right........that's why I called her!

2pm a wonderful destressing massage. Remember how I fussed over even going to have one?!?!? What a wonderful discovery!

6-8pm...I took a lovely nap until I heard hubby's popcorn popper and thought I better get up!

The pain in my chest is almost gone. I still have a bit in my shoulders, but the more breathing I do, the better it gets.

My eating is 100% and my exercise is 100% and Im happy with my progress

Have a great evening everyone
Old 11-23-2009, 09:42 PM   #182  

S/C/G: 303/252/150

Height: 5' 5"

Good evening! I've been dealing with a sick toddler for the last couple of days. It makes me so sad for her. She missed out on going to her home care provider today -- she goes once a week to work, as she calls it-- because she was running a fever. I hated having to tell her she couldn't go. She got a bit spoiled today so I think it all turned out okay. So far the baby is fever-free, just a runny nose and a refusal to nap. She did finally eat solid foods today... almost half of what she should be eating. That is a very good thing. It is ironic that I have a baby who doesn't like to eat solid foods. Maybe she was switched at the hospital.

When we moved into our house almost a year and a half ago, I pretty much threw things in the master bedroom closet and never looked back. In an effort to clear out my space, I emptied it out yesterday and started boxing stuff up for goodwill. The deal was that anything that was too big had to go. I didn't think it would be so hard! I feel like my safety net (ironically one I don't even want) is gone. I have no idea why I would want to hold onto clothes that are too big. I also found a bag of clothes that I could have been wearing over the last couple of months. They are a size bigger than what I am currently wearing. That was annoying... I could have used those clothes! Part of what is bothering me is that some of the clothes were worn one time!! So... I just have to suck it up and get rid of them. Like my DH keeps reminding me, it is a good problem to have.

wndranne-- YEAH for you for consistently posting! It does take some time/energy to do so. Glad you had fun at the park. That's one of my favorite things to do. I am looking forward to getting my badunkadunk down a slide. Kudos on your 8 miles-- awesome!

Shepherdess- "This was the first time I've run one under 30 minutes--a PR of 29 minutes" AWESOME!!!! I am so impressed with your planning for your time at the craft fairs. All those yummy smells.... you are impressive! Glad your DH is on the mend. Sounds like your dinner out was lovely.. how nice!

Ceejay-- It was as if I was reading my own words when it comes to eating slowly and mindfully. Truly! I practically had to look to make sure I hadn't written that and forgotten. It just DOES NOT come easily to me and I am always so embarrassed if I am with others and I am done eating WAY before them! The only thing that has been helping me is putting down my fork between every bite. I hate it. But, as you said, my speed-eating contributes greatly to my overeating. Also, my husband has permission to nag me about it. I hate that too. Let me (us) know if you come up with anything brilliant to help you with this challenge. Glad to be part of your diet coach team as well!

BBE-- I love Trader Joes. It is a dangerous place for me, though. My friend never understood what I meant when I said I eat fairly healthy just too much until I took her there. There is so much good food! Glad you have a plan for dealing with those chocolate covered evils.

ChinaMaine-- fatigue is such a nasty little problem. No one can see that you aren't feeling well so you don't even get any sympathy. Not something I have ever had to deal with but lived with someone who did. I can definitely see wanting to keep that at bay at all costs. Sounds like the pole-walking may be a good solution. I love the way you break down your day.

RobinW-- a walk in the park sounds simply delightful. Glad the weather is still good enough to enjoy it and kudos to you for recognizing the opportunity to more fully enjoy your exercise! I am so VERY GLAD you took a day for you! What a great gift to yourself and it sounds like it was wonderful. So glad your pain is lessening.

Gardenjoy-- good grief-- you need a break from bad news. Sounds like your Thanksgiving is going to be challenge. I am glad for you re: Beck skills

AnnZ-- Welcome! Welcome! Welcome!
Old 11-23-2009, 10:11 PM   #183  

Height: 5'7"

Coaches/Buddies I think I did everything wrong that was possible to do wrong today, at least from a diet/exercise standpoint. I did not get back on track. I recorded the disaster, but that was about it. I'll also claim posting here tonight. Short list. I don't like it, and it is a motivator not to do it again.

Mama said there'd be days like this...

Anyway.

We are hopping here on the Beck board!

CeeJay Glad you're doing well, and I'm hoping to pick up some of your enthusiasm.

gardenerjoy Sorry to hear more bad news about the family. Glad you got in your long walk and that you are taking care of the one person you can--yourself.

BillBE I'd say you nailed that hardware store cake challenge. Bwa-ha-ha-ha! Sorry, sugar rush.

ChinaMaine The photos sound like such a lovely idea.

Shepherdess Hooray for the short run and the great dining out experience! I should get back to the running thread, but I don't have a lot of extra time, and "should"s are nothing but opportunities to flog myself, so on second thought....

AnnZ

RobinW Your post tonight is so positive! I'm so happy for you.

KidsLibrarylady Best wishes that your toddler feels better and the baby doesn't come down with it. Removing old, big clothes is a key to success. It is a way of telling yourself that you are NOT going back.

OK, now off and planning for tomorrow. Plan, plan, plan. I'm running 2 miles and packing my lunch. Not so tough.

Anne
Old 11-23-2009, 10:13 PM   #184  

PS Anybody heard from onebyone, Tera, or kuhljeanie?
Old 11-23-2009, 11:16 PM   #185  

S/C/G: 304/294/200

Hi Everyone:

Just a quick check in tonight. Crediting myself for eating 3 healthy meals and 2 healthy snacks. Eating OP. 2 walks today. Went to the city and picked something up for dinner at Subway instead of McD's. Yay.

Giving credit to myself every time I make a good choice is working for me. Used to be all I paid attention to was what I did wrong. Now I am paying very close attention to every success.

The other thing I like is treating myself for every 5 pounds. Is everyone else doing that? For the first 5 I got myself a pair of PJ's. The second I got a pair of earings. I am almost ready for the next one, so today while in the city I picked up a CD that I will listen to the day I hit 281. It is sitting where the scales are. And it is a good feeling to believe that if I just keep doing what I am doing sooner or later (does not matter which) I will be there. Would love to hear some of your rewards.

Hope you all have a great day tomorrow. Your support is so appreciated.
Old 11-24-2009, 05:29 AM   #186  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Welcome AnnZ

AnnZ

And, in honor of your first post,

How did you learn about the Beck books?

How did you find this thread on 3 Fat Chicks?

Old 11-24-2009, 05:37 AM   #187  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Tuesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - For lunch I had spicy something or other leftovers containing chick peas that DW had made. So good. Had it over leftover cous cous, which, because it's 100% whole wheat purchased from Whole Foods, I treat as proper food instead of the ground up pasta that it is. But consciously served a small amount; CREDIT moi there at least.

At gym, CREDIT moi, I thought about giving myself credit for keeping my back straight during my push ups. It's easy for me to forget about form and get sloppy. So, CREDIT moi for that also.

Robin (RobinW) - Kudos for 2 miles, "Awesome!!" indeed. Congrats on your rapid journey from finding massage distressing to destressing. What a lovely day for yourself.

Anne (wndranne) - Here's hoping to find dessert when hopping in the desert. Dang that doesn't come easy for me. Kudos for being on track today; may your two miles running in the desert be a joy.

ChinaMaine - Congrats for attempting to organize the stacks of photos - shuddering at the thought, LOL.

KidsLibraryLady - LOL at "ironic that I have a baby who doesn't like to eat solid foods" - maybe you've got one of those naturally thin kids. Congrats for tackling your closet - I need encouragement in that arena.

Shepherdess - Interesting that you "could enjoy the conversation because there was no anxiety about food" - Yep, that's a major development all right; Kudos. Thanks for reminding me about the antioxidants - I'll use that to justify a second handful, LOL.

CeeJay - Neat rewards at each five pounds. Yep, I did that; bought another book on exercise or nutrition each five pounds. Alas, I also bought a book or so in between each five pounds - Amazon one click shopping is evil.

AnnZ - That's an admirable exercise schedule you're doing; Kudos for that. Yep, sounds like you're ready for a written food plan. Have you chosen a plan or are you rolling your own?

Readers -
Quote:
day 9
Select an Exercise Plan

Exercise has many diet- and non-diet-related benefits.
. . .
Exercise preserves muscle tissue. Usually as you lose weight, you lose a combination of fat and muscle tissue. But, exercise helps to preserve muscle tissue, so much of your weight loss comes from the fat tissue.
. . .

The Beck Diet Solution, pg 107.
Old 11-24-2009, 09:21 AM   #188  

S/C/G: 220/168/145

Height: 5'4"

Default Monday

Yesterday was a nice on-plan day all around. I noticed that I ate a full sandwich for lunch with 1/4 avocado, but wasn’t hungry enough to eat the baby carrots or 1/2 orange I had planned on. I think I’ll try a half sandwich today and see how it goes. Also, it got to be PM snack-time and as soon as saw the time I promptly thought I was hungry. But when I really thought about it, I realized I wasn’t hungry at all, I was just imagining it. (Can anyone say Pavlov?) So I decided to wait an hour and have a snack if I was hungry then. I didn’t think about eating again until dinner-time, three hours later. Credit!
WI-up .9 lbs. Read my cards, made a plan. Food – op, Exercise – op (58 minutes).
The Good

The Bad

The Ugly
                My DS is arriving tonight, and everyone else is arriving tomorrow. So I probably won't post until Sunday or Monday. Have a great Turkey Day (for those of you living in America...)
                Old 11-24-2009, 11:04 AM   #189  

S/C/G: 137/137/125

Height: 5'3"

Well, my life is slowly returning to normal—as normal as my life ever is. Eating was on plan yesterday and I did weights yesterday. It’s wonderful how much easier everything is when my life is more predictable.

Welcome AnnZ! Kudos for getting your exercise. Have you already picked your eating plan or are you still searching for one.

RobinW, kudos on limiting yourself to one small glass of wine. Wine is a weakness for me. Huge kudos on your “me day!” Sounds like you are getting a good start on managing stress. Good for you for taking care of yourself.

KidsLibrarylady, LOL on baby switched at hospital. Kudos on cleaning out the closet. It’s interesting that you saw hanging on to these clothes as a safety net. By getting rid of them you are making a commitment to your health and your diet.

Wndranne, kudos on recording your mistake and posting. Sorry about the exercise/food disaster, but kudos for getting back on board. LOL on your statement “’should’s are nothing but opportunities to flog myself.”

CeeJay, kudos on getting your exercise and for eating OP, and for making the healthy fast food choice. Good job rewarding yourself for every 5 lbs lost. I think it’s important to learn to treat yourself in a non-food way.

ChinaMaine, good job recognizing that the feeling of hunger was really just habit. I have the same Pavlovian response and need to get better at recognizing it. Have a great Thanksgiving with your family.
                Old 11-24-2009, 08:45 PM   #190  

S/C/G: 303/252/150

Height: 5' 5"

By 12:10 a.m. I had already rocked my toddler back to sleep twice and fed the baby twice. Laid my head on the pillow and by 12:24 am the baby was back up. If it is true that it is more difficult to lose weight when tired, I am in big trouble. Actually, as I type this, I can hear my toddler starting to fuss. I love them, I love being a mom, I am grateful for their health and obvious giftedness ( ) I am tired. I want sleep. pllllttt... No eating slowly or mindfully today. No credit. No sitting down to eat. Just survival. I have have been sitting on the create time and energy idea for several days now and am just moving on. I am letting it overwhelm me and I just need to get over it and get on with it. Now that decision is made, I actually feel like I have more energy. I am off to the treadmill so I can watch Big Bang Theory while walking.

wndranne-- so sorry your day was a disaster but so glad you were smart enough to record it. Hope your run today was good.

CeeJay-- sounds like you had a great day! What a good idea to treat yourself every five pounds. I should start doing that.

BBE-- yummm couscous

ChinaMaine-- great observations of your behavior. Pavlov could have had a field day with me

Shepherdess-- "It’s wonderful how much easier everything is when my life is more predictable." Amen and I am so glad for you!

Toddler isn't giving in. If rocking a child is considered exercise, I am a machine!!
                Old 11-24-2009, 10:13 PM   #191  
                Practicing Imperfection

Hi All,
                Well, I got through my craft show on Saturday, and was pleased there was a veggie tray option at lunch, though why a pound of cheese cubes was included, I'm not sure. . .I had requested last year that a vegetarian option be offered, so I'm glad they responded but it really was enough for a party tray, not one person. And credit that I did not eat all the cheese.

Sunday I had a victory with going to Michaels, AC Moore, Target, and the grocery store without buying any junk! I am still amazed. I kept reminding myself that at craft supply stores have no business selling industrial size bags of candy at the check-out, and that seemed to help, as did my planned pastry and coffee at the French bakery. Monday I went to Zumba, yay!

Today, tracked food, credit. Declined chips with my sandwich at dinner, credit. Resisted buying chips after work when I was feeling stressed. I did get sucked in by a pudding parfait, but I definitely limited the damage by stopping after I ate that. Average calories for last week were on target, credit.

I'm getting ready for a craft show on black Friday/Saturday, and of course Thanksgiving. T-day is at my inlaws, and I usually eat out of anxiety when I'm there, and my sister will be there too, which is unusual and kind of awkward. We are bringing a salad, so that is good. Only having one plate full would be a good plan--and eating slowly. I eat faster than anyone I know with the exception of my sister. I need to observe my SIL again--she eats slowly and moderately.
                Old 11-24-2009, 10:15 PM   #192  

Coaches/Buddies Today was way better than yesterday by a long shot. I ran this morning, avoided work food, ate according to plan, and did a reasonable job at dinner out. After dinner, though, I went on autopilot for some cookies. Oh Well. I'll watch out for that tomorrow!

CeeJay I gave myself rewards at my 5 lb goals. I need to get back in that habit, especially since I've developed a real CD habit lately. I found it helpful.

BillBE The chickpeas sound wonderful. Nice work on the pushups. Did you knock off your deadline yet?

ChinaMaine You remind me that I should pay attention to hunger. I've been paying attention to plan. Hunger, hunger. I'm going to pay attention tomorrow. Thanks! Have fun with your DS over the holiday.

Shepherdess Glad things are returning to normal for you. Normal is good. Except when it isn't! LOL.

KidsLibrarylady You sound like you are a machine. I can remember being so tired I literally couldn't see straight. I don't think I was very successful until my youngest was mostly sleeping through the night, although hanging in always seemed possible. Perhaps I misremember--my short term memory was also shot.

Wishing everyone a good tomorrow!

Anne
                Old 11-24-2009, 10:44 PM   #193  
                Green Tomatoes

Credit today for ordering a healthy meal at a nice restaurant for lunch, and for leaving a large portion of it on my plate when the serving size proved too large. Never thought I'd do that!

And my reward for that and all the other good things I've done since mid-August: a blouse and jacket in size 16! (some of that is due to vanity sizing, but I'm just happy I can walk into a nice store and get clothes that fit)

WI: +0.2kg, Exercise: +30, 969/1300 minutes for November, Food: op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

AnnZ: welcome!

RobinW: Yay for your "take care of me" day! What a wonderful idea!

KidsLibraryLady: hope your kids are feeling better -- and don't give the sickness to you! And that you can find some rest for yourself.

wndranne: thanks for the reminder that I am the one person I can take care of -- wonderfully put!

CeeJay: I'm so happy to see how giving credit to yourself is working for you. I'm treating myself to a movie in a theater every 5 pounds -- next up, the 3D Christmas Carol.

BillBlueEyes: your chick pea concoction of whole wheat cous cous sounds like a wonderful lunch!

ChinaMaine: Hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving with your family!

Shepherdess: I'm glad that things are getting back to normal for you and that you are finding eating healthily and exercise easier as a result.

Nuxmaga: Good job with not buying junk on your errands! I had to make rules for myself to stop that behavior. For me it was, "No eating anything purchased at a drug store or gas station." You are right about "craft supply stores have no business selling industrial size bags of candy at the check-out" -- I have the same problem with office supply stores.
                Sounds like you have a good plan for Thanksgiving -- I need to work one out for myself, too.
                Old 11-25-2009, 04:42 AM   #194  
                Super Moderator

Thumbs up Wednesday - Thanksgiving eve

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Made it past the guillotine deadline at work good enough. Unfortunately, it was a soft deadline, that morphs into another soft deadline for next week. But feeling more sane since my part is better on track. CREDIT moi for not using the vending machines. I did, however, use that idea of a pseudo-vending-machine run to take a quick walk up and down three flights of stairs and to the other end of the building at a brisk pace looking like I was late for an important meeting. That was all the more fun imagining I was pulling off a sneaky trick that no one knew about, LOL.

Didn't eat all my sweet potatoes fries at dinner; CREDIT moi. I'm already drooling at the thought that they will be in my lunch today. Might even bring in a tiny container of plain yogurt to go with them. It so works for me to prepare a lunch that I look forward to.

Anne (wndranne) - Just oughta be a law about food at work - maybe an application form required for bringing in food, with a justification for caloric emergency field, LOL. Kudos for the early morning run.

ChinaMaine - LOL at the thought of you salivating at 2pm. Neat work being in touch with your true hunger. Have a nice weekend with your DS.

Margaret (Nuxmaga) - Yay for a veggie tray option; Ouch that carnivores are so worried about vegetarians getting protein that it included a pound of cheese - Kudos for eating what you needed from the bounty. Good luck at your in-laws for Thanksgiving; I think it neat that you already plan to watch your SIL's habits.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Kudos for leaving food on your plate at a restaurant and not even taking it home. WOW. I'm impressed. Congrats on the new clothes.

KidsLibraryLady - Ouch for sleep deprivation; Kudos for recognizing your blessings and mushing forth. Like the image of watching the Big Bang Theory from the treadmill.

Shepherdess - LOL at "as normal as my life ever is" - hope that means that your DH is back in the saddle. Kudos for weights and on-plan eating in a "more predictable" spell.

Readers -
                Quote:
                day 9
                Select an Exercise Plan

Exercise has many diet- and non-diet-related benefits.
                . . .
                Exercise builds confidence. As you increase your fitness, you're likely to feel better about yourself and your abilities. Researchers at the University of Huston in Texas found that students who participated in a six-week weight training program reported feeling more positive about their appearance, less anxious about their bodies, and more confident in their abilities than students who didn't exercise.
                . . .

The Beck Diet Solution, pg 107.
                Old 11-25-2009, 09:52 AM   #195  

S/C/G: 137/137/125

Height: 5'3"

I got my run in yesterday. I left a bit late and it was starting to get dark towards the end of the run, but credit me for not letting my late start become an excuse to skip the run. Eating was OP yesterday, credit for packing my snacks so I didn’t have an excuse to eat off plan while running errands.

KidsLibrarylady, you’re right that you have a lot more challenges with small children. Good for you for doing what you can do right now and not getting hung up on the stuff you can’t do. Kudos for getting on the treadmill while you watch TV.

Nuxmaga, yay for the veggie tray. LOL that they still find a way to make it pack on the calories. Good job noticing the party-platter portions and eating accordingly. Turkey Day is going to be a challenge—love those holidays dedicated entirely to food. Sounds like you have a good plan.

Wndranne, kudos for a better day than the one before—that’s always the goal for me. Yay for going for a run. Good job avoiding unplanned food at work, and as for the cookies on autopilot, nice attitude that it’s a learning experience rather than a catastrophe.

Gardenerjoy, good job for recognizing oversized portions and for leaving food on your plate accordingly. I still don’t trust myself at restaurants. Congrats on the size 16 shirt and jacket!

BillBE, glad to hear you stayed the guillotine, and your life is more sane. LOL for your sneaky walking trick. Nice job not eating all of your sweet potato fries so you could have some for your lunch. What a great way to savor your food!
                Closed Thread