Old 09-05-2008, 10:04 AM   #1  
99 lbs. Gone!

Default Snack-All-Day Diet

I originally posted this in Calorie Counters but now I think it would be better posted here.

Hi all! I started this diet about 6 weeks ago and haven't cheated once (before I started the diet, if it wasn't nailed down, I ate it!). It's great for those, like me, who love to eat. Just Google Snack All Day diet (it's free and located at the Good HouseKeeping Web site). Be sure to download the free planner to get ideas for snacks (mini meals).

On this plan I usually have around 6 meals per day at around 200 calories -- 250 at a couple meals. I space them about 2 hours apart but sometimes go 3 hours if it's inconvenient to eat again in 2 hours. Here's a typical day for moi:

1. Meal replacement bar -- I love the Odwalla bars (Choco-walla and Banana)
2. Frappucino (I make my own most of the time but on occasion have Starbucks)
3. Turkey sandwich with fresh spinach and cranberry aioli (combine 1 Tbsp cranberry sauce with 1/2 T Hellman's Low-Fat mayo -- green lid -- and some fresh or dried choppped/crushed rosemary)
4. 1/4 cup Goobers (yes, chocolate covered peanuts!)
5. Mini taco salad (salad topped with taco-seasoned lean ground beef, light sour cream, salsa, and crushed Baked Tostito Scoops)
6. Grilled chicken with roasted summer squash and red bell peppers

I rarely feel hungry eating this way, and if I do, I know another meal is just around the corner. It's the easiest/bestest diet I've ever tried! I've lost around 20 lbs. thus far.

If anyone is interested, I can share my mini meal ideas.
ToutDeSuite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 12:46 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 259/247/150

Height: 5'6

this looks interesting!

thanks!
mrs dorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 10:35 PM   #3  
Bev

S/C/G: 180/171.6/150

Height: 5'4

thanks for sharing-- I am going to look into this.
Bev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 08:11 AM   #4  
99 lbs. Gone!

I'm a junior member, so I couldn't post a link -- but I will as soon as I'm able.
Old 09-06-2008, 08:38 AM   #5  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

I'm anything but a junior member so here's the link:
http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/heal...-day-diet-plan
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 10:26 AM   #6  
99 lbs. Gone!

Thanks, Ruth! Have you ever tried ED Smith's low calorie pancake syrup? I understand it's great and ordered some from Canada. I sure hope it's all that because after shipping, I paid nearly $15 per bottle (ordered two bottles for the same shipping price).
Old 09-06-2008, 06:08 PM   #7  
99 lbs. Gone!

I highly recommend you eat some form of protein for each snack on this plan -- even if it's nuts or milk. If I eat pure carbs, my insulin spikes and I get too hungry before my next snack. I had two 100 calorie packs of Cheez Its for my 5 p.m. snack and I was starving by 5:30. So I'm having grilled chicken and veggies for last snack at 7 p.m.
Old 09-06-2008, 06:27 PM   #8  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

ToutDeSuite, I avoid substitute stuff like SF syrups. I find being used to the SF stuff, makes me less diligent when the real stuff comes around. Besides....I own and run a maple syrup operation with a partner.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 07:02 PM   #9  
Bev

I agree with the protein. I really need to eat it or I am so hungry.
Old 09-06-2008, 07:40 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Hm. I visted the link they posted and then compared it to what you've posted that you eat, and I'm seeing a big discrepancy here.

The diet posted on the GH website is extremely heavy in fresh, whole foods, veggies and whole grains - it looks like it's very much designed with a strong nutritional balance. They have made allowance for one "splurge" item a day - a Frappucino one day, a McDonalds yogurt parfait one day, 1/2 cup serving of light ice-cream/yogurt one day, a glass of wine one day, etc.

There is no place on the diet that says you should have a meal replacement bar for breakfast, a Frappucino for a snack, AND Goobers (or other candy) on the same day. And I don't see where you're consuming any measurable volume of the "free" veggies that are part of the diet.

I dunno. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for people finding a diet that works for them! But I don't think that the changes you've made are ones that you can sustain nutritionally speaking for the long term.

I also eat 6-7 times a day (which means I eat all the time! ) but, as with the GH plan, it's rarely packaged or processed.

OTOH, I gotta say that some of those recipes and items look REALLY good. The honeydew lime soup sounds divine! And some of the things they suggest for snacks are combinations I haven't thought of before and will be adding to my own plan.

I'm sorry, I don't mean to be a downer here. I am *very* glad that the diet is working for you. I just think you should consider toning back your modifications of the diet and working towards including the healthier options that the diet originally proposes, rather than substituting for Frapps, candy, and snacks for more than 1x per day.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 07:48 AM   #11  
99 lbs. Gone!

Photo, I tweaked the plan so that it's do-able for me. And making my own frappucino with 1 cup of 1% milk, some cappucino powder and Splenda, as well as Goobers and an Odwalla bar keep me from falling. I don't consider these items unhealthy -- everything in moderation. Nor do I follow plans to the T. I adjust it so that it's something I can live with for the rest of my life. In fact, my fave quote and one I plan to put in my profile as soon as I figure out how, is: Never start a diet you can't live with for the rest of your life. I know me and I know if I feel deprived, I'm going to cheat/fail.

If you go back and look at day one of the planner, you'll see a Clif bar and light ice cream for that day. Meal replacement bars are convenient for this working girl so I use them daily. Also day six includes fast food and a treat (e.g., wine) as well. And if you take another look at my typical day, you'll see I had fresh spinach on my turkey sandwich, a taco salad (bibb lettuce and tomato), and squash and bell pepper with my chicken. I often have fresh fruit too, but not everyday.

I'm a chocoholic and have lost over 100 lbs. eating chocolate everyday. But I include protein with my chocolate (e.g., chocolate covered peanuts or almonds) because I know that I can keep my cravings in check by having some protein at every meal -- especially with refined carbs. When I researched the value of eating low glycemic foods, I learned that one can have sugar in moderation, and if it is consumed along with protein, it will prevent those insulin spikes that cause cravings and hunger pangs when you're not really hungry. And a 1/4 cup serving of Goobers is 210 calories -- not a lot more calories than a 1/4 cup serving of plain nuts. When I started this journey, I asked myself what I couldn't live without and it was unanimous -- moi, myself, and I chose chocolate!

I had lost a total of 122 lbs. but fell off the wagon because I got away from what worked for me because I was seduced by some diet or another, and ended up binge eating again and gaining back some weight because I felt deprived on those other plans. Then a friend gave me a copy of the Good Housekeeping Snack-All-Day diet -- a plan similar to the one I used to lose 122 lbs. And I've been back on track for over 6 weeks now and I'm in losing mode again!

My typical day changes daily, but I usually have a meal replacement bar, a frappucino and Goobers everyday. The other three meals normally consist of protein, veggies, and fruit. I have yet to combine meals on the weekends as the plan suggests because 6 meals per day is working for me. But I'm sure I will use that option on special occasions.

This is what works for me. If I feel deprived I'm not going to stick with it in the long run. And my Odwalla bars, fraps, and Goobers keep me from feeling deprived.

Last edited by ToutDeSuite; 09-07-2008 at 10:22 AM.
Old 09-07-2008, 08:18 AM   #12  
99 lbs. Gone!

Testing siggy
Old 09-07-2008, 08:36 AM   #13  
99 lbs. Gone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthxxx View Post
ToutDeSuite, I avoid substitute stuff like SF syrups. I find being used to the SF stuff, makes me less diligent when the real stuff comes around. Besides....I own and run a maple syrup operation with a partner.
I hate artificially flavored pancake syrup! But I miss French toast (I make mine with 50 calorie per slice whole wheat bread, egg, and vanilla and cinnamon), but at 100 calories for 2 Tbsp of regular syrup, 1/2 of my calories are shot for a mini meal. My friend in Canada assures me the ED Smith pancake syrup sweetened with fruit juice and Splenda tastes close to the real thing. And at only 20 calories for 2 Tbsp. I can have French toast again. If this syrup isn't to my liking (I ordered it and haven't yet received it), I guess I'll try diluting some spreadable fruit with a little water to make it the consistency of syrup.

Last edited by ToutDeSuite; 09-07-2008 at 08:37 AM.
Old 09-07-2008, 06:30 PM   #14  
Bev

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToutDeSuite View Post
Photo, I tweaked the plan so that it's do-able for me. And making my own frappucino with 1 cup of 1% milk, some cappucino powder and Splenda, as well as Goobers and an Odwalla bar keep me from falling. I don't consider these items unhealthy -- everything in moderation. Nor do I follow plans to the T. I adjust it so that it's something I can live with for the rest of my life. In fact, my fave quote and one I plan to put in my profile as soon as I figure out how, is: Never start a diet you can't live with for the rest of your life. I know me and I know if I feel deprived, I'm going to cheat/fail.
deprived.

I am going to have to try your Frappucino recipe. Have you found one brand of the cappucino powder better than the other?

I agree with you that I have to have some chocolate everyday or I will cheat on the diet. I use fiber one bars for breakfast alot of times, I will have to try the Odwalla bar.

Bev
Old 09-07-2008, 06:44 PM   #15  
99 lbs. Gone!

I love Caffe D'Vita Mocha Cappucino mix -- it comes in a 16 oz. can. You may have to shop around for it -- some stores carry it, others don't. I use 2 Tbsp. of the mix to 3/4 - 1 cup of milk, some Splenda to taste and ice. I whirl this in the blender until the ice is crushed and it's yummy! The calorie total is a little more than 200, but I have up to 250 calories for a couple meals each day. And it's worth the extra calories because I'm getting a full serving of milk.

I've only been able to find the Odwalla bars at Whole Foods. I've tried a few of the flavors and the only ones I like are the Choco-walla and the Banana. Although not as sweet, I also dig the Clif Peanut Chocolate Chip bars.

Last edited by ToutDeSuite; 09-07-2008 at 06:44 PM.