3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   LA Weight Loss (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/la-weight-loss-171/)
-   -   how do you eat your oatmeal (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/la-weight-loss/181964-how-do-you-eat-your-oatmeal.html)

raygunclan 09-17-2009 08:54 AM

how do you eat your oatmeal

so...

i have been putting off integrating oatmeal into my diet. i am on the 6th day (i think:dizzy:) of phase 1.

last night, as i cooked my homemade chicken basil tortellini served with my homemade sauce that i made earlier in the week (which is why i look like a pear with boobs) i decided to cook up the irish oats that i bought from my grocery last week.

buh-lechk!!!:barf:

so i added a little cinnamon.

so i added a little honey.

and then i finished it up. well, almost.

can anyone please help me figger out how to make them at least edible? i don't think i can do it again!!!

thanks smashers!!!

amkenkent 09-17-2009 10:25 AM

I use 1/4 cup of sugar free syrup and cut up a banana into it. I LOVE IT that way. I do WW and the oatmeal (2), syrup (1), and banana (2) is a nice filling 5 pt breakfast.

My friend who also does WW swears by adding in 1/2 cup applesauce (1 pt). But I tried it two different times and thought it was awful that way. But she loves it.

I don't know why you are adding oatmeal, but also look into farina (cream of wheat). The nutritional value is similar (and has the same # of pts), so I like to switch them around when I get tired of one. I eat it the same way...with the syrup and banana.

raygunclan 09-17-2009 12:17 PM

i wonder, though, if this would work for the fat smash diet? i will have to check my applesauce, but i think it has added sugar. but if worse comes to worse, i will just add some apple to the oats as they are cooking! (c:
thanks for the help!

MaryEllen 09-17-2009 02:59 PM

I mix my daily allotment of oatmeal with my daily allotment of yogurt (low fat vanilla), along with a banana and sometimes strawberries, and I bring it to school with me and eat it a couple hours later. It's my FAVORITE way to eat the oatmeal and the yogurt (I mix the yogurt with Life cereal sometimes in Phase 2 as well) and it's delicious. Also it doesn't really need to be refrigerated if you don't have access, like me.

wurdnerd 09-17-2009 03:31 PM

I don't do artificial sweeteners, so my favorite way is to add chopped dates and chopped nuts to the oats as they cook, maybe some vanilla and cinnamon for variety. Yummy.

I've also tried the applesauce thing, but it's very tart and begs for sugar.

Frozen sweet dark cherries are very sweet, so try adding those. I mix them in yogurt or cottage cheese, and they are wonderful.

As a last thought, try making oats savory instead of sweet. Season them up like you would rice or barley. Worth a shot.

raygunclan 09-17-2009 09:32 PM

savory oatmeal! the thought has never crossed my mind. i will have to give that a try! since i am still in phase 1 the nuts arent' going to work for me, but tossing them in a smoothie is a great idea as well.
i think some of my problem was maybe the oats that i got. i got the irish oatmeal and it was unlike any i had ever seen before. i think i just need to stick to the quaker.
thanks for helping!

Miss Coco 09-18-2009 05:59 PM

I hate oatmeal with a passion! I just have it in a smoothie for breakfast, yoghurt, milk, a banana and whatever berries I have in the house, blend for a couple of minutes to make it nice a smooth, yummy!

Me Too 09-19-2009 01:07 PM

I put I can believe its not butter spray(5 sprays) and 1t splenda brown sugar on my oatmeal. YUM
I make steel oats in my pressure cooker about 3 times a week.

raygunclan 09-21-2009 09:29 AM

ok. i just put about 2 tablespoons into a smoothie. the smoothie is deliciousbut the oats are odd. i know you're not supposed to chew smoothies (stop laughing) but i feel the need with this smoothie. although, i'm afraid if i do, i might break a tooth!
so i guess my question is...
should i cook the darn oats before i add to my smoothie?

JulieJ08 09-21-2009 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raygunclan (Post 2935422)
ok. i just put about 2 tablespoons into a smoothie. the smoothie is deliciousbut the oats are odd. i know you're not supposed to chew smoothies (stop laughing) but i feel the need with this smoothie. although, i'm afraid if i do, i might break a tooth!
so i guess my question is...
should i cook the darn oats before i add to my smoothie?

Did you grind them into a powder first?

raygunclan 09-21-2009 03:30 PM

no, but that sounds like it would have been a good idea.:censored:

borntobefine 09-22-2009 04:00 PM

I put frozen berries, a little water and a little protein powder in the blender and then pour it on the oatmeal when I cook with a little water. It will be sweet naturally because of the fruit.

You can also use spices such as nutmeg, cinamon and cloves or it.

You can also add a little fruit juice or fruit concentrate to it. Or a sugarless jam or some such.

twilightmom78 09-30-2009 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amkenkent (Post 2929600)
I use 1/4 cup of sugar free syrup and cut up a banana into it. I LOVE IT that way. I do WW and the oatmeal (2), syrup (1), and banana (2) is a nice filling 5 pt breakfast.

My friend who also does WW swears by adding in 1/2 cup applesauce (1 pt). But I tried it two different times and thought it was awful that way. But she loves it.

I don't know why you are adding oatmeal, but also look into farina (cream of wheat). The nutritional value is similar (and has the same # of pts), so I like to switch them around when I get tired of one. I eat it the same way...with the syrup and banana.

You mentioned syrup....i have sugar free syrup...is that acceptable? Plain oatmeal makes me gag, so im hoping i can add syrup and some splenda brown sugar *fingers crossed*

twilightmom78 10-03-2009 09:39 AM

i hate plain oatmeal, it activates my gag refelx just thinking about it but i made some yesterday and added some splenda and a bit of cinnamon, it was pretty tasty. Oh and there is also a pancake mix that is oatmeal. It makes very nice dense pancakes (im eating them now with veggie sausage) and they are really good, i didnt even doctor them at all. Im getting used to being "a vegatarian" and its not so bad, especially since they have non meat meat on the market. I almost dont know the difference.

And about the sugarless syrup...i hope its acceptable, i have been using it. And to be honest, i would rather break a small rule to make the diet food palatable, than go back to eating the way i used to because i cant stomach plain oats and such.

raygunclan 10-06-2009 09:04 AM

i found this link. it gives some pretty good ideas to dress up your oatmeal:

http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/332675