Old 09-13-2009, 05:19 PM   #1  

Default What Is The Best Diet Plan For A Vegetarian?

I am a vegetarian (totally, no fish). Can anyone help with what would be the best diet plan to use? I read about high protein, low carbs etc. With not eating meat I need to look to cheese, eggs etc for protein and am not sure whether that is sufficient. I have about 28 pounds to lose. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

EleanorR
EleanorR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 07:37 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 148/109/105

Height: 5'3

i'm a veg and i eat tons of fruits and veggies, whole grain bread, all natural peanut butter, multi grain cheerios, veggie meat (morningstar farms & boca) unsweetened soy milk, non-fat feta cheese, non-fat greek yogurt, hummus, egg whites, stuff like that...all in moderation of course! and i lost 25+ pounds eating these foods!
Biju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 08:16 PM   #3  
Lil' Old Chick

S/C/G: 229/206/150

Height: 5'4"

McDougall diet.
the best for vegans.
Me Too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 10:39 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

I find that the keys for me to be healthy, satisfied and happy on a vegetarian diet are a love for beans and whole grains, not being scared of some great fats (avocado and nuts), and really ramping up the produce intake. I take most any recipe and greatly increase the veggies in it. I can't imagine doing it without bulking everything up with veggies or trying to be satisfied with white flour products or if I didn't love my beans. I think once you've got all that going on, the rest mostly takes care of itself.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 10:53 PM   #5  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

I'm reading Eat, Drink, and Weigh Less by Mollie Katzen & Walter Willett. It's not strictly vegetarian, but it is very vegetarian friendly. The recipes look fabulous! Mollie Katzen is famous for The Moosewood Cookbook, a very popular vegetarian cookbook.
gardenerjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 01:01 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 311.5/289.5/150

Height: 5'6"

You could eat a slightly modified version of the DASH food plan; developed for people with high blood pressure, but good for anyone. Dr. Mirkin advises leaving out the nuts if you want to lose weight. There are some good recipes on his website. You can just google DASH or take a look at Dr. Mirkin's site. Just google Mirkin.
Suezeeque is offline   Reply With Quote