Closed Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 10:07 PM   #211  
Practicing Imperfection

Hi All,
Fading here. 7600+ steps, credit. Eating only one piece of the fudge that my friend gave me for looking after her cats, credit. I'd love to get to the Beckian state of declining it altogether! Tracked food, credit. Another run-in with potato chips, but I did stop before the bag was done, which was quite amazing! Personals soon.
Good Night.
Old 08-30-2009, 11:56 PM   #212  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

Walking Princess: Hope you are able to get back to your exercise tomorrow.

ChinaMaine: A new convenient supermarket is exciting! I'm glad it's stocked with stuff you want.

BillBlueEyes: You could get one of those fancy containers for oil and vinegar with the spout. Although, I quit putting vinegar in those when my balsamic vinegar molded in one. Ick! Obviously, I don't go through it all that fast, so I've been buying smaller containers which have drizzable sized openings.

Kim in NH: I'm still working out how I want to store recipes, but I suspect I won't get myself to copy them on to cards -- even though I like the homey feel of a card box in the kitchen. I'll probably end up with a binder and recipes slipped into plastic sleeves. That's especially convenient for recipes clipped from magazines.

Nuxmaga: There are a lot of things I'm declining now, but fudge from a friend would be really difficult! Yay for 7600 steps!

Improved my hunger situation a bit by moving my morning snack. We eat supper very late, so a second afternoon snack at about 5:30 was a big help since the chicken didn't come off the grill until after 8:00.
Old 08-31-2009, 12:16 AM   #213  

S/C/G: 181/?/130

Height: 5'4"

OMG I'm going to cry! I have been typing my post for 25 minutes and somehow inadvertantly clicked on the add to the right. When I hit the back button, I lost my entire post! Try it again

Couldn't exercise again today but stayed in calorie range. We were out running errands all morning and it was late and we hadn't eaten lunch so dh suggested we eat at Chili's since that was in the same area where our next stop was. I decided to order the Turkey Combo - it had a cup of Chicken Enchilada soup (I ordered with no sour cream or cheese) and a 1/2 turkey sandwich (no cheese). I also counted out 15 tortilla chips with salsa since everyone else was eating that. That is normally my MO and I will polish off 2 baskets so I was really proud that I ate only 15 chips.

ChinaMaine - kudos for trying so hard to stay in your calorie range and for learning from the experience. I think you did great!

Bill - great job for recognizing the sabatoging thoughts and not letting them overrule you. For the record, balsamic vinegar always glubs out of the bottle on me too

Kim - I don't use recipe cards either but I frequently clip recipes from magazines. I've been searching for a long time for the best way to store those so they are accessible but can't think of anything except a photo album and adhering the cut recipe to the sticky back sheet. Any ideas?

Nuxmaga - good job at not eating as much as you normally would in those circumstances. You are definitely getting there!

GardnerJoy - glad you were able to move around the times of your snack to help manage your hunger better. Good for you!

Kara
Old 08-31-2009, 05:49 AM   #214  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Monday - August wanes

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Ate dinner at a new Turkish/Mediterranean restaurant. Good food. My great thing was to eat only half (3/8ths actually) of my entree and take the rest home for lunches; CREDIT moi. Interesting to me how much I wanted to eat the whole thing - like I had no plan or no program. We were in a congenial atmosphere, food was new to me, so therefore, I should eat without bounds. Silly thinking. So, I won this time; wondering when I can win without the stupid thoughts to just eat and eat and eat.

Thanks for the suggestions for drizzling balsamic vinegar. Glad that I'm not the only one who makes a glub. I might try using the cap next time although, alas, there are few drizzable tomatoes left in our garden.

maryblu - Waving. Thought of you when reading The Search for the Perfect Apple in Sunday's Parade Magazine.
Jim Luby, 52, is a professor of horticulture science at the Univeristy of Minnesota and co-creator of the Honeycrisp, which many regard as the best eating apple of all time.

Margaret (Nuxmaga) - Kudos for stopping mid bag with the potato chips; that's pretty amazing - I've never done it. And good job on the fudge. Do you have a way to send the rest of it to some deserving place out of your sight?

Kara (Walking Princess) - Ouch for the lost post; many of us have done that. Some of us always do [CNTL]-A then [CNTL]-C to copy the post to the clipboard periodically. I think ChinaMaine types hers in a Word document then copies it over. I've sometimes done both of those when I'm feeling particularly vulnerable.

Kudos for your clean eating at Chili's. Counting the tortilla chips in advance to make yourself a serving is good Beck style. Count me in the club of those who have asked for a second basket of chips but never let that impact eating the meal.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Kudos for juggling your snacks to fit your dinner schedule. These late summer dinners are a challenge for me; they work best if I have my afternoon snack around 6pm. And thanks for the word, "drizzable."

Kim (Kim in NH) - Waving at your kids headed off to school; noting your mixed emotions, LOL. Nope, you're not the only one who tips while doing lunges. When I concentrate on form, I can do them without tipping, otherwise I feel like I'm waddling across the floor like a penguin.

Remember, a watched UPS truck never boils.

Readers -
Quote:
Looking Forward

And, of course, you'll be able to enjoy other benefits, too.

• You'll be thinner!
. . .

The Beck Diet Solution, pg 47.
Old 08-31-2009, 08:41 AM   #215  
Fighting Piano Butt!

S/C/G: 220/see ticker/130

Hi everyone.

Restarting again here after vacation. I am back up to 172, but I know this is a temporary state of affairs and I am determined to stay OP this week.

It was wonderful to go to New Brunswick again after 7 years (when my parents moved back to Ontario). Hurricane Bill was more of a drizzle, thank goodness, and we got some great weather. DD and my 4-year-old nephew had all kinds of playtime together, including the beach and miniature horse rides. It's deeply calming for me to be in nature and near the ocean.

Now back to normal life, and time to re-establish a good diet and exercise routine before back-to-school craziness starts. Good to be back with all of you!

cheers
Erika
Old 08-31-2009, 09:07 AM   #216  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Default Monday & it's almost September

Good Morning Coaches:

I was catching up on the posts and was captivated by the hot meal on a stick and searched for a jpg of it but instead was totally sidetracked by Piglickers: chocolate coated bacon on a stick (picture attached) http://joeob.com/stateFair/website%2...igLickers.html The site I found it at and posted here has a few other "goodies"... I have to say, knowing me, I'd want to try it, but really, it sounds awful.

Anyway, I am off to the school to deal with shelving and access to one particular wall for the guy who's patching the wall. A big pain in the butt for me. Soon I will have to have a meeting with the two fall ceramic teachers and soon after that I will be scrambling to do their bidding. I don't want to do any of this today but Oh Well. I am off to catch the bus anyway.

Will hopefully get back here later for personals. enjoy your day!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg piglickers.jpg (19.4 KB, 2 views)
Old 08-31-2009, 10:40 AM   #217  

Height: 5'7"

Back after a quick trip to get away from it all. I feel better, wrist is healed, and I'm only up a pound or two, more thanks to dumb luck than responsible consumption. Here's to dumb luck!

Working my techniques today.
Old 08-31-2009, 11:00 AM   #218  
Back on the wagon

S/C/G: 205/162/125

Height: 5'1"

Default Monday morning y’all

really thought i was going to get some great sleep this weekend with el nino away, but my eyes just popped open at the usual 5:45, and nothing would persuade my brain to shut itself back off after that. Saturday night’s dinner party was a raging success but didn’t get to bed until after midnight, almost unheard of for me. so today, once again, i am tired. TIRED. sigh. dinner went great – i cooked the way i like to cook, just a little fancier for company. they looked at me sideways when i told them what we were having (basil tomato soup, garlic spinach, panko-crusted eggplant, and grilled salmon) because they said they don’t like eggplant or spinach. my friend told her husband she’d eat them every night though if they tasted like mine. how great do i feel about that??? they’re seriously considering joining a CSA next year. yay!

lots of cooking this weekend; made another batch of borscht, i am completely hooked on that stuff now. i could and do eat gallons of it. i’m in love with the color, the way the beet juice runs when you peel them, the comforting smell of the onions boiling, the sweetness and tang of the lemons. ahhhh. picture attached. you can see el nino in the background eating cheerios. he does like the borscht, but prefers cheerios. what kind of toddler doesn’t love borscht? oh well. also made seitan pepperoni because i’m getting paranoid about all the metal, hormones and antibiotics in high concentrations in meat. have a question to my diet coach about that. these next few weeks is when numero due is working on organ differentiation and is highly sensitive to environmental toxins. nothing like understanding that someone else’s brain function may depend on your stepping away from fake sugar to make you rethink your lunch order. i’ll probably loosen up towards the middle/end, but the next few weeks i need to eat as close to perfectly as i can. no pressure, though.

bill, you won! you know, sometimes the thoughts just aren’t there, and it’s wonderful and easy. i love those times. the other stuff probably never goes away completely, and that’s okay. it’s been so valuable learning that i don’t have to believe my thoughts and i can apply that to every other place in my life where i have a tendency to get stuck in fear-based thinking – i’ll take the occasional struggle to leave food when i’m full. onebyone, that looks absolutely gross. i like bacon and i like chocolate. but, yuck. welcome back erika! kara, nice job with the chips! i had a couple of restaurant meals over the weekend and didn’t display nearly that kind of restraint. which i need to. and so sorry to hear about your back button loss…i almost always type in a word document and then cut and paste into 3fc. it makes it easier at work when i don’t have to keep that page onscreen, too. gardernerjoy, what a wonderful solution to a schedule problem! margaret, i would also like to get to that becksian state. every once in a while, i can just walk away without a second glance, but that doesn’t happen too often. course it’s a lifetime from before beck, when it NEVER happened. mary, nope, don’t watch mad med, though i’ve heard it’s worth seeing. maybe will tivo or rent when i go on my leave. china, nice that you adjusted your workout to accommodate your muscles – but you still did it!

(amended to add) hi anne! so glad to hear your wrist is better. i'm also a BIG fan of dumb luck.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg borscht.jpg (22.5 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by kuhljeanie; 08-31-2009 at 11:03 AM.
Old 08-31-2009, 11:19 PM   #219  
Green Tomatoes

Walking_Princess: good job on counting out the chips at Chile's. I tried that trick today with the french fries that my husband and I habitually split when we go to the cafe at the Botanical Garden. It worked really well!
Sorry about your problems with the forum software. I've started typing out my entries in Notepad. Besides giving me a working copy that I can go back to, I can type stuff in it during the day when I think of things and still post once in the evening.
For recipes, I use plastic sleeves in a binder -- easier than the sticky photo backing and less permanent if I decide I want to change my method later.

BillBlueEyes: Thanks for sharing about your thoughts to want to eat the whole thing -- I've been wondering myself when those will stop, but since I'm all of about 17 days into this, I'm guessing it will be a very, very long time for me. And maybe never. Which is maybe okay because it isn't the thoughts that make us fat. Good job at following your plan even with the sabotaging thoughts.

eusebius: yay for a wonderful vacation and for returning with renewed commitment to a healthy lifestyle!

onebyone: hope your adventures with shelving and wall-patching are going well. And thanks for the chocolate-covered bacon -- I grossed out my husband with that!

wndranne: credit for dumb luck -- and for the possibility that the work you've done to this point has changed how you eat and move, even when you're not thinking about it too much.

kuhljeanie: that dinner menu sounds wonderful to me! Good job on converting your friends!

My mix and match meal plan worked today when we decided at the last minute to go to the Missouri Botanical Garden for lunch and a walk. I swapped out the lunch I planned for the meal in my plan that I designated for Garden days. So, even though I wanted the grilled cheese sandwich when I walked into the Cafe, I ordered the spinach salad like my plan said. And, I ate precisely 12 french fries, also in my plan because I didn't want to give up our tradition of sharing an order of fries. And it felt good to stick to my plan!

Last edited by gardenerjoy; 08-31-2009 at 11:21 PM.
Old 08-31-2009, 11:27 PM   #220  
Practicing Imperfection

Hi All,
Tracked food, credit. Walked 10,000+ steps. Had one piece of planned fudge with coffee, and enjoyed it, credit. The other half of a bag of chips called my name, because I didn't just dump it yesterday. Sigh. But still, to make it last two days is unheard of. . .No Zumba this week because the Y is refinishing the dance floor. Sigh, sigh, sigh.

Kuhljeanie--Wonderful that you cooked what you like to eat for company and they loved it! That's a coup!

wndranne--glad the wrist is healing.

onebyone--credit for getting on that bus.

eusebius--glad to hear you had a good trip to New Brunswick. I once went on a French exchange trip to Edmundston in highschool. We were taken on a tour of a paper mill and a chicken abbatoir. We retaliated when they came to Edmonton, and they were taken on a tour of the city sewage treatment plant.

Bill--yay for eating 3/8 of an entree! I know that feeling well of wanting to eat boundlessly, portions being determined by the plate size. The fudge is in the freezer and when dh gets back, he can take it to school.

walkingprincess--big credit for measuring out your chips!! I will have to try that. It's quite a feat to get a healthy meal out, and you did great.

gardenerjoy--credit for modifying snack times. I am much happier when I have snacks at my vulnerable times, keeps me on track.

Kim in NH--I have binders for my recipes. I used the hole punched plastic sheet protectors. I like being able to flip through.

ChinaMaine--kudos for the strategies with the chicken wings--having potato and veggies, weighing out the wings. I had to laugh at "2 wings seemed silly"--I form judgements all the time about what seems like a good serving, and it's usually never in my favor in terms of weight loss.
Old 09-01-2009, 12:40 AM   #221  

S/C/G: 181/?/130

Hi everyone,

I did really well today. I stayed op and did my exercise. The only thing I goofed on was that I licked the serving spoon clean after dinner. I didn't even realize I was doing it until I swallowing the last bite of food! I've got to learn to pay more attention to my actions. Other than that, I did great!

Bill - I think you did so great tackling those sabatoging thoughts today at the new restaurant. Eating out is very hard sometimes with all those wonderful different flavors and aromas calling your name. Great job in only eating a portion of your food and taking home the rest!

Erika - I'm glad you had a great time on your vacation, welcome back!

OnebyOne - that chocolate covered bacon killed my cravings for a couple hours! Hope your meetings went well today

Anne - glad to see you are back! Great that your wrist is feeling better

Jeannie - of course you're tired silly! You are pregnant! Go easy on yourself ok?

GardnerJoy - you did great too with the fries! You are right, it feels so good when we stick to our plan doesn't it? I love the way you swapped your meals. You are doing Beck proud! :-)

Nuxmaga - great job on the 10,000 steps and tracking your food. That's terrific. Keep up the good work!

Good night!
Kara
Old 09-01-2009, 05:03 AM   #222  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up Discussion continues on the September 2009 Thread

This discussion continues on Beck Diet For Life/Solution – September 2009 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach

Please join us there.
Closed Thread