Old 07-13-2009, 10:57 AM   #1  
LAWL Salt Police

Default GREAT English Muffin Recipe

English Muffins:

Ingredients
1 1/4 cups lukewarm water
4 cups bread flour (or whole wheat if you prefer)
2 1/2 teaspoons instant yeast
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons salt (morton's lite)
2 small egg whites
fine cornmeal

Method
In a large bowl pour in lukewarm ( 110F ) water. Add instant yeast, baking soda and 2 cups of bread flour. Mix till smooth. Allow to sit for 5 minutes uncovered. (I found that I needed a bit more water as the battter became very stiff and it was hard to encorporate the egg whites.)

In the meantime, add egg white into a separate bowl and beat with an electric mixer. You want them to become stiff and moist. Once the egg white have formed stiff peaks; add to dough batter. Using a rubber spatula fold in egg whites till incorporated into the batter.

Start to add in the rest of the flour, a 1/4 cup at a time. After the first 1/4 cup mix in salt. When the mixture becomes to hard to mix in the bowl. Pour out onto a flat surface. Knead for about 5 to 6 minutes till it becomes smooth and silky.

Add a little oil to a clean bowl and place the dough into the bowl. Turn dough over till all sides are very lightly coated. Cover with plastic wrap and allow to rest till double in bulk, about 1 hour. Afterwards, pour out onto a flat surface. Press to release some of the air from the dough. Using a rolling pin roll out to a 1/2 inch thick. Allow dough to rest for 3 minutes to relax.

Using a 3 inch cookie cutter, cut out circles. Place the cut out pieces onto some cornmeal. When you have left over dough just gather together and cut out a few more circles. Sprinkle the tops with more cornmeal. Cover with plastic wrap and allow to rest for 45 minutes.

About 5 minutes before you are ready to cook the english muffins turn on your griddle or fry pan to 350F or medium heat. Spray with a little oil spray and once the griddle is hot. Place the muffins on and fry. If you are using a fry pan you may only be able to fry 3-4 at a time.

Fry on one side for about 4 minutes. Then turn over and fry for another 4 minutes. Do this once more to a total of 16 minutes.

Cool and then either toast, or enjoy as is.
Dan2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 11:47 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

I never would have guessed that English muffins were fried.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 12:12 PM   #3  
Workin' It

That is pretty cool... I didn't know that they were fried, either...
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 10:51 AM   #4  
LAWL Salt Police

That's how they get that slightly golden colour! Plus, if you're using Pam, do they really count as fried? LOL
Old 07-14-2009, 10:59 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Dan, congratulations on a great weight loss !
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 03:32 PM   #6  
Workin' It

true, wouldn't say 'fried' with Pam... My grandmother 'fried' corn bread last week, because her oven was out. When I asked her what that meant she said that she put the batter in an iron skillet and sat it on a low lit stove eye until it was done. Wonder if she used oil... she didn't mention it.. .hmm...

And yes, congrats on the weight loss Dan! You look great!
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 04:18 PM   #7  
LAWL Salt Police

Thanks Bargoo!

Shannon... I used a large nonstick skillet and only spritzed it with pam before the first batch. Having the cornmeal dusted on both sides also helps keep them from sticking...