Old 06-24-2009, 05:36 AM   #1  
Woman On A Mission

S/C/G: 160/Ticker/125

Height: 5'4"

Default Master your Metabolism

I couldn't find any threads on this topic...so I thought I would start one!!!

I just started reading Jillian's book, Master Your Metabolism. Wondering if anyone else has read it and is following her advice.

My thoughts so far:

At first I thought the book was for people who needed to lose alot of weight and thought I had wasted my money. Then once I got to the hormone part and how screwed up they can get, I thought, this is too scientific for me. More reading and I thought, Oh crap, this is going to be really hard to follow....then, it hit me, this is another lifestyle change that I am not sure I can do. Not that I wouldn't want to get all that bad stuff out of my life, but who has time to think so hard about it and go to 9 different stores to do their food shopping.

I'm not that far into it, so it might get easier to think about doing....

A few questions:
  • If you have read it, are you following her advice and how's that working for you?
  • If you are following it, are you following it to the "T"?
  • What are you finding are the biggest challenges/obstacles?
  • And most importantly, is it working?
  • Do you feel different?
  • What has changed with your body, weightloss, life?

Last edited by Jacque9999; 06-24-2009 at 05:49 AM.
Jacque9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 06:15 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 211/ticker/165

Height: 5'7"

I scanned the book but others on the board said to start with Winning at Losing first which I am working through now. I am basically done dieting and just want a normal way of eating. I've tried lo carb diets and WW in the past but cannot sustain in the long run.

Her Master book seems to lean towards eating around the perimeter of the supermarket. Some say all the processed food we have been eating has led to the multitude of food allergies as well as weight gain.

Maybe I will pick this up and read both books together. Have you followed her Winning at Losing plan? I am struggling a little with menus but I am half way through.

Sue
Momofsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 06:19 AM   #3  
Woman On A Mission

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momofsteel View Post
Have you followed her Winning at Losing plan?
No I haven't...what is that one about?
Old 06-24-2009, 02:00 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 198/155/140

Height: 5'9"

I haven't read her books, but know on her radio show she is all for organic foods, cosmetics, house cleaners, and even organic cotton for clothes. I think realistically it's hard for the average person to go that far and change everything. Since Jillian is famous she can have access to almost everything and anything.

While I think it's great to go all organic and natural, people have lost weight, got in shape and feel fine on regular diets without going to those extremes.

I have started buying organic fruits and vegetables when I can and started switching to fish instead of chicken... so we'll see how it goes. I'm still looking for an all natural organic skin care line that isn't expensive and works good.
ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 02:06 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

I read some of it at the bookstore. But it's not for me, as it makes rules about a lot of things that work just fine for me against her rules. The time between meals, the carbs, other stuff I don't remember.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 06:55 PM   #6  
Hooping my Life Away

S/C/G: 298/218.1/170

Height: 5'8"

I've been listening to her radio show where she talks about a lot of the same stuff. I agree on some of the things she says is not attainable by everyone. I can't go organic. I have NO where to cut corners and save money. I even have a second job just so I can start saving up money again just in case I need emergency money which I've been dipping into since I started this weight loss plan. It also make it seem just because I can't eat "totally clean" or organic, then I am screwing up my weight loss. I realize that I may get cancer from whatever is in my food but everything seems to give you cancer. You get cancer when you don't have enough sun but too much sun gives you cancer, too. When I have more money, I will probably consider buying organic. But I barely get paid 8 dollars an hour and work full time to make ends meet.

Eating organic is not in my stars right now. Although kudos to anyone who can.
Daimere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 08:57 PM   #7  
Closed

S/C/G: 244/165/137

Height: 5' 7"

Ms Daimere: Don't feel guilty about not buying/eating organic. Really. Make the best choices that you can given your $$$ and take pride in that. And in changing your life for the better. Just do the best that you can...

As for a new diet book, meh...I love Jillian but I have a plan that works for me. I can't take the confusion/guilt trips I feel when I get too much info that isn't particularly helpful nor substantiated. I just slog along like the majority of us, and trust that things will work out if I give it 100% effort...

Kira
kiramira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 09:09 PM   #8  
Woman On A Mission

I think I got my answers....It was a waste of money. Oh well!!! If I hadn't bought it I could have bought some organic foods...go figure...thanks everyone.
Old 06-24-2009, 10:12 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 202/160/135

Height: 5 ft 6 in

Actually, just a note about buying organic. You can save money and buy only choosing the "important" items that are organic. Fat molecules actually hold the most toxins, so it would make sense to splurge on things that have the most fat as in cheese, milk, other dairy products. Organic veggies you can skip. that's what I do to save money, yet try to eat organically.

~choirgirl~
choirgirlhotel is offline   Reply With Quote