Closed Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 09:17 AM   #1  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Default "VOLUMETRICS" in the "SPRING"

Well, here we are -- it is officially SPRING no matter what it may look like outside my window right now. Time for a new start to our healthy-living efforts, gang --

VOLUMETRICS is not new, it just hasn't been making as big a splash in the weight loss community as some of the better known plans. I first discovered Volumetrics about a year or two ago thanks to the review on 3FC. After reading the review I went and bought both of the books and decided the Principles of Volumetrics was something I could live with . . . forever.

VOLUMETRICS explains how to FEEL FULL ON FEWER CALORIES . . . and let's face it, most of us won't stick with something very long, if we feel totally deprived all the time. The guiding principle is to get the 'highest volume of food at the lowest cost in calories' by choosing foods with a lower ED (Energy Density). BTW, 3FC has a data-base of over 7000 foods and is one of the few that includes the ED for all the items.

What foods have a lower ED? Basically, those that contain the highest water and fibre contents . . . for example; we all know that grapes and raisins start out as the same fruit, right? Raisins simply have had the water content removed. Did you know that 1/4 cup of raisins contains about 100 calories? More importantly . . . did you know that you can eat almost 2 full cups of grapes for the same 100 calories! I know which would make me feel fuller and stay fuller for longer . . . how about you?

Anyway, enough of my blathering for now . . . Please come and join our little discussion group as we help each other make our way along the long and winding road to better health and fitness the VOLUMETRICS way . . . hope to see you all soon . . .
Old 03-20-2009, 11:48 AM   #2  
No More Excuses

S/C/G: 220/203/160

Meowee ~ Nice to meet you. I actually bought the book at CVS about 6 weeks ago. Unfortunately, it's still sitting in my book bin untouched. I need to pull it out and give it a read this weekend. I'm happy to see your thread.
Old 03-21-2009, 06:31 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 156/151/140

Height: 5'1"

Morning all! Just defrosted a big container of squash/kale/bean soup...am looking forward to having it this week. I haven't had soup at all this past week and miss the filling qualities...all winter I made sure I had a heart soup made each week. Now that spring is here, I will tend towards big salads, though they are more work, since they have to be made every day. I like the soups because they last all week.

Have a good weekend.
Old 03-21-2009, 08:46 AM   #4  
Onward and Downward

I make and eat a lot of soup in the Winter, too; but I tend to eat a big salad almost once everyday, no matter the time of year.

Hi there bbobsgrl, read that book, I think you'll enjoy it.
Old 03-23-2009, 07:06 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

I am just hanging in there - not doing really well or really badly. Just kind of have the blahs about my nutrition. I need to get back here and stay on track.

I am going to Italy again the first two weeks in April. I have a little chart I bought last time that tells what is in season. My kids' apartment is right across from a little grocery store and down the street from a bakery and produce shop, so I am planning on doing some cooking.
Old 03-23-2009, 08:35 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 221/173.5/165(for now)

Height: 5'8"

Oh, Gail, what I wouldn't give to fit into your suitcase! Aaaahhh, to taste the seasonal treats, savor the cheeses, inhale the aroma of the breads, sip a bit of local vino....you will be living my dream! The old-world architecture, the cobbled narrow streets, the fresh herbs... Please, enjoy your stay, spend lots of time with the kids, and worry about getting back into the groove after you return.

{Of course, after the visit to Italy, I most certainly could NOT fit into your suitcase!}
Old 03-26-2009, 08:11 AM   #7  
Onward and Downward

Hey where is everybody hiding ??????
Old 03-26-2009, 12:30 PM   #8  

<<jumping up & down, frantically waving my arms>>

Here I am!!!! Still popping in every day to see who else is hanging out - this thread is my 1st stop into 3FC-land!

Old 03-27-2009, 10:37 AM   #9  
Liz

S/C/G: 229/185/150

Height: 5'6"

I'm here,too! Where does everyone else go in 3FC? This is the only place I go, but I haven't looked very far.
Old 03-27-2009, 10:41 AM   #10  
Onward and Downward

Oh my LIZ . . . your really need to hve a look around and find yourself some more places . . . this site is immense. We have almost 80,000registered members and although we don't see all of them all of the time, you can imagine it has some pretty busy places.

Well . . . no sun for us today . . . but it is getting warmer as evidenced by the heavy fog first thing this morning. And, wonder of wonders, I actually saw a robin -- he stood out very well against the solid white background of my yard.
Old 04-11-2009, 10:58 AM   #11  

Helloooooooooo ...... ........

.....anybody out there?.........

...very quiet.....
Old 04-11-2009, 11:03 AM   #12  
Onward and Downward

I'm here . . . but it is awfully quiet around here.
Old 04-11-2009, 05:51 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

I knew I saw this group here before and then you were gone. I wondered how it is working for those of you who do it. I bought the book and have begun to eat more of the low density foods and I find it so interesting how full I feel eating this way. I don't really count calories, points etc very much just try to eat more of the foods that I really like that fall in this category. I've lost about 5 lbs since I started. It seems to be a slow way of losing, but healthier.
Old 04-11-2009, 08:17 PM   #14  
Onward and Downward

Definitely not the speediest method of weight loss, but I honestly find it works and is something fairly easy to live with for the long haul . . . i.e., forever.
Old 04-12-2009, 08:21 AM   #15  
Onward and Downward

Happy Easter Sunday, everybody . . . . . . Try to stay away from those bunny droppings.
Closed Thread