Old 06-15-2009, 03:24 PM   #1  
There Is No Wagon

S/C/G: 33.3%/21.8%/19%

Height: 5'5"

Default Fitday--is the calorie burn estimate accurate?

Those of you who use fitday to count your calories, do you know if it accurately estimates your calorie burn, especially the calories burned from lifestyle? I chose "seated, some movement" as my lifestyle and just from that it's showing me burning 2400 calories a day, and I'm only 5'5"/160lbs...this seems high to me, especially as I used to be 20lbs heavier and even at that weight not consuming 2400 calories daily...

Maybe there is someone on here who wears a monitor like bodybugg and also uses fitday...if so, have you noticed if your bodybugg calorie burn count tracks your fitday one pretty closely?
forestroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 03:40 PM   #2  
Anne

S/C/G: 407/358-Dec2007/tracker/125

Height: 5'4"

I never really paid attention to it, but I just changed my profile to 'seated, some movement' and it tells me that my maintenance level is around 3125 cals. That's not actually far from where it is (I estimate it around 3000 cals, since I lose well on 2000 cals). You can define it using the custom feature (again, I'm using the downloaded PC version, so maybe you can't on the online version).

It's broken down as:
8 hrs sleep
8 hrs light seated activity
8 hrs light to moderate activity

I assume that most people really don't do 8hrs of light to moderate activity. If you feel that the number is really high, drop it down to the next lower activity level. That's defined as:

8 hrs sleep
13 hrs light seated activity
3 hrs light to moderate activity
RealCdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 08:57 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 257/227/125

Height: 5' 4"

Hi.

For some reason I can't post links yet but I wanted to share that I think the Fitday calc. is high. I have used Fitday for years and although it's great for keeping track of calories the cal. burn est. seems off to me.

There is a fairly new equation (Mifflin-St Jeor Equation) -(somewhat more reliable then Harris Benedict) to figure BMR. It's more correct I think.

Maybe google it because when I post the link the post gets deleted.
NoWallFlower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 09:20 PM   #4  
There Is No Wagon

S/C/G: 33.3%/21.8%/19%

Height: 5'5"

Thanks for the tips!
forestroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 10:21 AM   #5  
Anne

S/C/G: 407/358-Dec2007/tracker/125

Height: 5'4"

Link to a calculator that uses Mifflin: