Old 06-06-2009, 09:11 PM   #1  
Always Learning

Height: 5'5"

Default Slim-Fast, Ensure, Boost, Carnation Ect?

Being that I'm busy and have been having problems getting in a meal or two out of my regular three a day I've decided to look into these types of shakes (premade ones). I was wondering which is your favorite and if you can explain why?

I'm aware that some contain insane amounts of sugar, additives ect, Please don't tell me how horrible all those premade type smoothies are and how I should make my own or eat "real food" because that is not really helpful nor is it an option due to my workplace for the next little while.

TY in advance for any brand/flavor recs!
8675309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 09:21 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 245/ticker/125

Height: 5'2"

I've never tried Ensure or Carnation, so I can't offer an opinion on those.

Slim-Fast is alright- not a huge fan of any of the flavors, but I like vanilla the least.

I personally use Boost because it is lactose free (I'm lactose intolerant). It tastes pretty good, and doesn't have that chalky powdered-drink feel to it. With something like 7 or 8 grams of protein in the regular version (I don't know for sure, I don't have a bottle in front of me) and only 240 calories for the chocolate flavored ones, it really does keep me full. I drink them for lunch/dinner/whenever even when I'm not actively dieting.
penmage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 09:25 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Well , I do use them ,Sometimes I have Carnation Powdered Instant Breakfast I either mix it with non fat milk or Almond Milk and a banana or fresh strawberiries in the blender.I also use the Slimfast canned, cappucino is really good blended with small banana.I have occaisionally used Ensure and Boost. I usually use these in the AM.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 09:42 PM   #4  
it's always something

I've been in situations when I had to rely on them, such as after major dental work. I preferred Slimfast Optima because it was lower in sugar, but still tasted good. I find that drinks heavy on sugar make me feel bad. I preferred the powder version over the canned, but canned are ok and may fit in better with your current situation. I used the powder in a blender with milk and ice so it was more like a shake and seemed to be more satisfying.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 10:20 PM   #5  
Claiming Victory!

S/C/G: 283/273/245 1st

I thought Ensure wasn't for weight loss. I thought I had read that on the package. Anyway Slim Fast is pretty good. I like the strawberry one. I actually used that for a little while to jump start my weight loss because I couldn't seem to get it together any other way. I would start with a SF shake and an apple. Lots of fiber. I would have two a day with either fruit or a piece of protein. It helped get off the 15 or 20 pounds. I agree about people saying making your own shakes. Trust me I have tried all of those and still ended up gaining. While I do love eating my food, drinking it for a while did help me stay on track. I also was caring for 5 kids at the time, had to get them off to two different school then go to exercise then come home and cook, clean, etc and deal with my boyfriend at the time so it was convenient to have shakes already ready. I hope this helps you.
LuvMyMr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 10:24 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 275H/148/165ish

Height: 5'10-5'11

I have (and am doing so again) used the SF shakes for a jump start. I do the Optima ones in the cappacuino delight. I really like it. It helps with sugar cravings as well. I would do the shake, then a fruit for snack later, shake, etc.

Good Luck!
ladyrider72472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 10:29 PM   #7  
Claiming Victory!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyrider72472 View Post
I have (and am doing so again) used the SF shakes for a jump start. I do the Optima ones in the cappacuino delight. I really like it. It helps with sugar cravings as well. I would do the shake, then a fruit for snack later, shake, etc.

Good Luck!
I agree! I had always said I wasn't going to use SF and their shakes aren't good for me, etc but I had gotten to the point where I was just desperate and I had to do what was best for me. I felt that the shakes would really help me at least get my eating in check so that I would shed something and it did. I used it for about a month or so. The weight came off quickly and it helped me start to really feel better so that I was able to walk the kids back and forth to the bus stop instead of driving which was a three second drive. It also let me see that I could finally get this weight loss thing under control.
Old 06-07-2009, 09:40 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 180/166.5/131

Height: 5'3

The slimfast cappuchino and chocolate are pretty good when chilled and if you can chill them for about 10mins in the freezer before drinking it it'll taste even better :P lol and yeah they do curb hunger for a few hours and have a lot of vitamins so thats a good thing!
mizmizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 02:36 PM   #9  
Closed

S/C/G: 244/165/137

Height: 5' 7"

Ensure is actually a pretty good meal replacement and if you keep a grip on your overall diet, this is IMHO completely acceptable if you want to have a controlled quick nutritionally OK meal..
Kira
kiramira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 02:47 PM   #10  
Always Learning

Height: 5'5"

While I have a chance I just wanted to thank everyone for the help and reqs!
8675309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 06:24 PM   #11  
Sensewear and WW

S/C/G: 230/195.2/164

Height: 5'9"

I actually prefer the Special K protein shakes. I like that they don't come in a can as I find those have a metallic aftertaste.
nellonello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 07:16 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 208/208/130

Height: 5'2''

I actually really enjoy SlimFast; being a college student, I can totally relate to not wanting to cart "real" food around to school or work. I don't really use the shakes so much, but SlimFast also has powder that you can mix with milk which I love. It has 14 meals per container, so it's less expensive than buying several cases of the shakes. Plus, no metallic aftertaste and I can take it in a thermos.

Hope that helps!
rmarie687 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 07:43 PM   #13  
Claiming Victory!

Slim fast has shakes that have 15 grams of protein which is excellent and five grams of fiber and is less than 200 calories. I find that a good combination of protein and fiber keeps me full. These shakes are thick! They are already made. Just refrige and shake before you drink it. I have a pack of strawberry ones sitting on my shelf right now. What I do is if I am going to be traveling heavy, meaning I have to drive all over the place, I will grab a shake to go with me. Because they are so thick, it lasts me and I don't just gulp it down and that way I won't eat the wrong thing while I am out. I had to take my son to an eye appointment that was a little distance away. I grabbed one and put it in my little hand cooler bag and when I was hungry I had it to drink instead of grabbing something bad like donuts. I also put an apple in there too that was, to me anyway, it was a good balance of protein, fiber and carbs and fruit, like a little meal. It really helped me out alot.