Closed Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 09:31 PM   #76  
Hooping my Life Away

S/C/G: 298/218.1/170

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
In the second book there’s a diet included, but the core of the program is to change how you think, and because of your changed thinking: change how you behave.
Thank you so much! I know which one to get since I don't need a diet plan. I want mental stuff to help me with my eating plan that I already have.

Thank you everyone. I had my boyfriend pick it up from the library. Hopefully, I can buy it soon.
Old 06-11-2009, 05:19 AM   #77  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Thursday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Breakfast is such a luxury when peaches, strawberries, AND blueberries are all available (as well as banana) to add to my granola. Yay that simple foods feel like the good life. CREDIT moi for being aware.

Felt like gym was a place that I'd never been to before. Then I realized that because I was there an hour earlier than usual the crowd was all different people and that I've come to find comfort in recognizing the regulars during my time slot. CREDIT moi for doing lunges in front of strangers.

ETA: Just updated my signature line by one month. CREDIT moi for the simple act of staying the course.

Robin (RobinW) - Good grief!! My heart is pounding just reading about your nut reaction. Congrats on such a rapid recovery. Yep, three things on top of each other seems like enough.

Congrats for having sexy firemen in your bed while your DH watched; sounds a bit kinky for my taste, but whatever floats your boat. And Congrats for being a grandma. You now face the challenge of spoiling a little kid without using sugar stuff.

Tera (twilit tera) - Kudos for using NO CHOICE on tempting foods. Double Kudos for applying it to sale-priced peanut butter cups. Part of health care reform oughta be outlawing sales on junk food, LOL.

Ouch that your average pain seems to have crept up a bit. Hope that settles back down for you.

Sending healing thoughts for you mom. Hope all is going well with her.

ChinaMaine - Congrats for the new milestone in your scale readings. And Yay for the slight easing of your fatigue level.

But Big Kudos for facing your immediate financial situation by planning. Methinks Beck would admire that; she would do well to add a chapter in her books about making a financial plan since money is a great source of stress and stress is a great motivator for overeating.

Margaret (Nuxmaga) - Kudos for stopping at two chocolates as well as for your awareness to count all your calories, even the incidental ones.

I know about that scooping up the sauces from my plate; that was a hard one for me to give up.

Daimere - Re which Beck: my take is that either works well. Both lay out her strategies for using Cognitive Therapy to remain on plan for eating and exercise. I used the first book, specifically loving that it didn't include a diet plan. And Yep, one poster here uses the workbook alone; it's published as a companion to the first book. You can read a review of each by Anne (wndranne) in the Maintenance Library section: The Beck Diet Solution and The Complete Beck Diet for Life. In the second review, she compares the two.

Readers -
Quote:
tip: Many dieters find it useful to prepare some (or all) parts of their lunch ahead of time. For example, as soon as he returns home from the supermarket, Will immediately divides his big bag of baby carrots into individual portions to take with him as part of lunch each workday.

The Complete Beck Diet for Life, pg 117

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 06-11-2009 at 07:43 AM.
Old 06-11-2009, 10:10 AM   #78  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

Good Morning

Im feeling a bit more like myself today. Still really really weepy, but I guess that is just my body and mind's way of dealing with things.

ChinaMaine~ it isnt obesity related, but that is where I see myself going next if I dont fix it. Scaring myself like that with something that I couldnt control. My weight I can control, and I dont ever want to have to go thru something like that because I refuse to take care of myself. Does that make sense?

Bill~ "Breakfast is such a luxury when peaches, strawberries, AND blueberries are all available (as well as banana) to add to my granola" I love this time of year! I even indulged in a some early cherries yesterday!
Big Kudos for doing lunges infront of strangers!!
As for the firemen....I just wish I could remember what they looked like

........I have to switch pages...brb
Old 06-11-2009, 10:19 AM   #79  
stand-up philosopher

S/C/G: 276/260/???

Height: 5'7"

WI: steady
Pain: 1/4/6
Activity: 2

Credits: calorie counting , PT , ice , shoes , eating fewer than allotted number of choc covered strawberries at lunch when hunger was satisfied

I'm at the hospital today. I couldn't get here yesterday or the day before, so today I asked B to drop me off here before work and pick me up after, assuming I don't find a ride home with someone else. He very sweetly agreed, even though there is a monsoon out there and the hospital was thirty minutes in the opposite direction of work. We avoided all the highways, which according to the radio was a very good idea.

I packed my lunch (with a nod to Bill) and have my laptop to count my calories in fitday (and post here of course). Very good start to an unusual day. I will be so on plan today!

Mom was asleep when I arrived, and is asleep now. We chatted a bit in between after the docs woke her up. Her heartburn and nausea is better than it was, but she's vulnerable to infection thanks to the anti-rejection drugs, so they're planning to do an endoscopy and see if there's a problem.

Robin: I love the way you flavor your emergency experience with humor! I hope it offsets the distress you've felt.

Congratulations, Grandma (steps count)! You're on the rollercoaster, not the merry go round.

Margaret: Sending healthy thoughts and wishes for a speedy trip through the list to your stepdad's liver transplant.

Food should always be yummy. I decided before I ever started this that I would never put anything repulsive in my mouth "because it's healthy". One of the ways I motivate myself away from succumbing to bad food temptation, is by looking forward to the good food I'm planning to eat later.

Daimere: I love that The Beck Diet Solution, was written to accompany any diet plan. For me it was the missing link that connected me to my weight loss goals. I had all the information I needed about diet and exercise... what I needed was a way to train my mind. for adding BDS to your mental toolbox.

ChinaMaine: New low! for OP-ness!

As for explaining the pain, I did physical therapist eval and my final(?) chiro visit in the same day. I'm still recovering.

Bill: for enjoying simple foods and lunging.

Speaking of health reform, I just saw on GMA that the American Restaurant Association is on board with changing laws to have national restaurant chains put calorie and macronutrient info on menus! I've been wanting that... well, since I started trying to eat responsibly. Ooh, they've got more info on their page at http://www.restaurant.org/government...ssue=menulabel
Old 06-11-2009, 10:22 AM   #80  
Lovin' Life

...Im just going to start a new post
(Im not firing on all cylinders just yet)

ChinaMaine~ dh is doing good. Seems he really hurt his hand when he tried to catch me. But he did good, I certainly didnt like seeing his face at the door of the ambulance. kwim?

I am going to seriously think about going to philly for the workshop. Its not that far, and its far enough in the future I can plan around it. Might make a nice get away for dh and I. Yes it would be cool if a bunch of us went. Hey!! I'll make t-shirts for us all! Seriously!

Daimere~ I prefer the first book and the workbook. That's where I would start. Then move onto the 2nd book. The 2nd book has a diet plan in it, but since I know what works for me I didnt find it useful. Mind you some of the new text was good. But I still preferred the first book. The workbook is great, it helped keep me on track and doing things the right way. to the group!!

Margaret~ Thankyou for the book suggestion. Im going to drag hubs to the book store soon to go check it out. Kudos for getting the rest of the chocolate put into the freezer and not eating all of it! Thats wonderful!

Tera~ Big Kudos for your "No Choice" choices!!

to everyone!

Things have been busy...can you believe I was in the hospital stressing about getting out so I could get some sleep so I could get back here and get the print jobs done that needed doing?! *sigh*

One day at a time....

Have a great day everyone!
Old 06-11-2009, 04:19 PM   #81  
Practicing Imperfection

Off to my 17th anniversary dinner with husband, and jazz concert. I've scoped out the menu. Celebrations increase my desire to eat more. . .
Old 06-11-2009, 10:55 PM   #82  

Old 06-12-2009, 12:39 AM   #83  

S/C/G: 276/see ticker

Height: 5'4

Hello, All.

This is just a quick one. I doubt I'll be able to do personals and such until Saturday. I just got home about midnight. Makes for a long 13 hour day and I have to be back in less than 12 hours.

Anyway, just wanted to let you know that I got through both nights without eating one single thing. Yeah me. Credit. I mean there was thousands of dollars of food there. From what I'm told it was pretty amazing food too. It smelled good that's for sure.

I was rewarded on the scale for not eating. I'm down another 1.4 lbs. I'm at 230.0 which is exciting. I'm hoping to be in the 220's in the morning.

Hope everyone is well. I'll check in with more detail on Saturday.

Sweet dreams.

Beth
Old 06-12-2009, 06:38 AM   #84  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Friday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Am out of town for two days to attend a funeral with a five hour drive each way. Spent the first drive eating baby carrots to keep my mind away from snacking on crackers and stuff. Arrived at a big family buffet feeling hungry at 8:30pm without having had a proper afternoon snack so I snarfed up shrimp and crab claws as if I'd never seen seafood before. Wasn't pretty. Seems that once I've got myself way out off plan, I'm just adrift. Oh Well. It could have been worse, I suppose; there was roast beef and rice pudding and all the other kind of stuff that kindly folks send when someone dies. CREDIT moi for turning down candy - even one little piece - both on the drive and at the buffet. And CREDIT moi for searching long enough to find something to take credit for.

Will go to the hotel's gym this morning to get my head back on plan. Today should be easier since the major eating diversion is a trip to a restaurant. I plan to order a reasonable meal.

Robin (RobinW) - Yay for feeling more yourself again. And Yay for early cherries, as well as seasonal cherries, and late cherries, LOL.

Hope you do the September Beck workshop; I'd love to hear the report. My hope is that she'd be inspirational in person.

Anne (wndranne) - Waving back. Hope the sugar buzz has subsided.

Tera (twilit tera) - Kudos for limiting those chocolate covered strawberries, and Kudos to your DH for driving 30 miles out of his way in the monsoon. But Biggest Kudos to you for attacking the hospital visit with a plan and a lunch.

Ouch that your average pain level still seems to be creeping up. I do hope that's just due to the unusual activity associated with visiting your mother.

Thanks for that link concerning chain restaurant menus. The restaurant association seems to support a kind of choice that would allow them to hide the info in electronic kiosks or posters. Not clear to me that a single kiosk at the front of the store will have the same impact as info on a menu in my hands while I'm deciding my order.

Beth (Greenville Beth) - Monster Kudos for going two days ignoring buffets of FREE food using No Choice. I'll use that as the Beck quote of the day to remind myself that if you can do it, I can do it also.

Ouch for 13 hour days. If your were younger, child labor laws would protect you. Did the performance go well?

Margaret (Nuxmaga) - Happy Anniversary. Seventeen years is a right long time.

Readers -
Quote:
No Choice

The Beck Diet Solution

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 06-13-2009 at 04:38 AM. Reason: Typos
Old 06-12-2009, 09:36 AM   #85  

S/C/G: 220/168/145

Height: 5'4"

Wink Thursday's Report

WI-down 0.75 lbs (new low)
Read my cards, made a plan. Food – op, Exercise – op. Fatigue 3.0 (1=Felt Great, 5=Extreme Fatigue). The only downside today was my lack of concentration and mental acuity…
All in all it was a good day in spite of the fatigue. DH is sticking to his plan to get up at his normal time and putting in a day of ‘work’. He sent out a number of resumes, contacted some old colleagues, and began contacting the companies about our monthly bills - to reduce them each as much as is possible. This is amazing since losing his job has coincided with his Mom’s health suddenly going downhill. I don’t know if I’ve mentioned it, but she was diagnosed with stage 3 cancer last year. She has outlived her doctor’s prognosis by 50% already, and her quality of life has been excellent. Until recently you would never have guessed she had cancer. In the last 2-3 weeks that’s changed and the doctor has recommended putting oxygen in her house. DH is sporadically verklempt, as you can imagine…
I was too tired to post last night - so I'll try to catch up on personals over lunch. But I'm also making Tabbouleh for the weekend then, so I may over-committing myself.

Last edited by ChinaMaine; 06-12-2009 at 11:11 AM.
Old 06-12-2009, 11:26 AM   #86  
Lovin' Life

Good Morning

ChinaMaine~ Kudos to your hubby for still getting up and putting in a days work. Im sorry to hear about your mil. My mil was similar with her cancer, she outlived the dr's prognosis by over 8yrs!

Bill~ Kudos for finding something to give yourself credit for!!

Beth~ for being down on the scale!!

Nuxmaga~ Happy Anniversary! I hope you had a nice time

Anne~

Tera~ how is your mom today?

~~~

Me....Im doing ok. Im feeling pretty much back to normal. Hubs is very stressed out....between the pc virus bill, and the cost of another pc for him, and the emergency room bill....he's needing some calgon! I'm picking up the slack for him. These bills aren't bothering me. They'll get paid, business is good and we are all healthy.

Life is good.....even if it is expensive

Have an awesome day everyone! (oh! Im going back to the gym tomorrow!)
Old 06-12-2009, 11:47 AM   #87  
Practicing Imperfection

Thanks for the anniversary greetings. We had a good time. Credit for not eating a piece of pie that was complete dreck. Credit for asking for green beans rather than fries(with some help from dh). The Jazz was great.

Tomorrow is a potluck picnic. I'm bringing a black bean and corn salad. I need a strategy for dealing with the rest of the food and drink--at the minimum I want to sit far away from the table.

ChinaMarie--Credit for making a food plan--I'm still resisting that. Tabbouleh is great

RobinW--hope you have a good gym visit tomorrow!

GreenvilleBeth--Yay for turning down the free food!!!! That's a big accomplishment.

twilit tera--Credit for packing your lunch and bringing your laptop to log into fitday!
Old 06-12-2009, 12:59 PM   #88  

Smile one personal

After making the Tabbouleh, I only had time for one personal. I'll get to the rest later today...

Robin Re your recent experience and obesity – I can totally understand your reaction. I too am very concerned about the health risks of being obese. I don’t know if this helps, but I’ve read that daily exercise of 30 mins or more can reduce a lot of health risks, even if you are obese. Of course, being a healthy weight is very important. But you can start exercising daily at any time; going from obese to normal weight is going to take months, or more. So, saying no choice to skipping exercise would be one place to start… (just a thought )

Re Beck/Philly – yes it would be fun, and it’d be good to hear the information. But with DH having lost his job, I probably can’t plan any pleasure trips until he’s working again. (except to visit his mom of course…) But, if you go, I’ll be very interested in your posts – and would love to buy a t-shirt!

Tell DH I wish him the best. I understand his money anxiety – I get the job of worrying about money in our house. But I’m glad you are feeling better!
Old 06-12-2009, 10:35 PM   #89  

Coaches/Buddies Plan was weird today with a long bike, almost 2 hrs, and some extra food to fill in some calorie gaps. But I pretty much did it. Tomorrow is a rest day. I need it. I'll be chasing children though.

Found a great blog entry on CNN today. Linked here here.

I feel like a slacker not doing personals two days in a row, but my brain is fried. Sending happy thoughts to everyone and thanks for being here.

Anne

PS. Well, I can't seem to save the link title correctly because it has a 3 letter word for backside in it. But if you replace the three ***s when you go there with the three letter word, starting with a and ending with s, it works. Written by the woman who brought us, My Big Fat Greek Wedding. Funny and insightful.

Last edited by AnneWonders; 06-12-2009 at 10:38 PM.
Old 06-13-2009, 05:18 AM   #90  

Cool Friday Report

Friday was a pretty boring day. Exercise, work, watch a movie (with food breaks sprinkled in). Beck is right, when you practice for a while, dieting skills do become easier and easier.
The sun is rising right now. It’s gorgeous. Fog is rising off the lake, and the sunlight is creating a beautiful glow. A few minutes ago it was a warm yellow, and now the light is lavender. I need to get back to bed and try to get a couple more hours of sleep. Have a good day!
WI-down 0.25 lbs (new low) Read my cards, made a plan. Food – op, Exercise – op. Fatigue 2.0 (1=Felt Great, 5=Extreme Fatigue).
Bill CREDIT for 2 yrs 3 months at maintenance – a role model in the best sense! Kudos for doing lunges in front of strangers. Re financial planning – yeah we’ve been through this kind of thing before without planning, and the financial results were definitely not pretty. So planning is a must.

I’m terribly sorry you have to attend a funeral.
- Aren’t there like 25 calories per 4 ounces of shrimp (or something)? So maybe snarfing a bunch of shrimp and crab (high protein!) was a good idea… Credit for planning to go to the gym to get your head back op.

Tera Sorry about the elevated pain levels. Credit for eating fewer chocolate covered strawberries than you’d planned. It’s nice you got to spend the day with your Mom. Hopefully the EGD will show that there’s nothing to be concerned about.
Thanks for the link on restaurant nutritional info.

Beth Credit for not eating any food at your events! Kudos for the weight loss and for being in the 220s soon!

Margaret Credit for choosing green beans over French fries.

Anne Credit for staying op (with gap-filling) in spite of long bike ride. Hope you enjoy your rest day, and chasing children. Thanks for the blog link – it was insightful.
Closed Thread