Closed Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 09:44 AM   #31  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

Good Morning

Bill! Im going to use that quote in my newsletter!! The people who know me, will think that's just as hilarious as I did. Did I mention I dont like round things either? Good luck with reprograming your camera!

Anne~ I havent been to a chiro in over 12 yrs, and yup, that's about how I felt when I went. I had intense mistrust for them. But Ive known this Dr. about 3 yrs, and I thought this was something I may have needed. Seems the chiro and the massage therapist together did the trick. Im down to just a pulling of the muscle on the left side now....with no ibuprofen!! Progress is wonderful. Mind you I really liked my massage, and I think I may start going more often. Especially after long days at the shop and standing at the heat press for hours on end. I think she will work wonders!

Beth~ Kudos for getting your walk in! Nope, I didnt get everything done yesterday. Im terrible for leaving stuff that "I" need. So today Im making a special trip to go get an iron!! Ive been fluff drying stuff

onebyone~ Kudos for decluttering in such a short amount of time. Just think how much less you will have to do this month

Tera~ what wonderful news for your mother. How is she doing this morning?

Margaret~ Kudos for getting thru the potluck "ok"! Im going to one on tuesday...Im hoping to do "ok" as well. I always find when I go to those things, ppl look at my plate to see if Im eating what they brought. Too much peer pressure to eat

ChinaMaine~ hopefully your new dosages will help get you back to feeling like yourself.

As for me...I have one more chiro appt. Going to go get my iron, and manage to get everything done at the shop so I can have the weekend off. Ive been trying to get out of here early, but it just isnt going to happen. Oh well.

Food isnt the best....wine has creeped back in. Those double up for a buck sales need to stop!! Exercise has stopped. But Im thinking I will be able to get that back in probably tomorrow

Im off.....have an awesome day everyone!!
Old 06-04-2009, 01:06 PM   #32  
Practicing Imperfection

Hi Everyone,

Good suggestions about my lunchtime walk(which I need to take soon)--maybe if the side door is unlocked I could exit that way instead of past the gift shop in the lobby and the drugstore directly across from the main door.

RobinW--Good luck with your potluck! I had a peer pressure moment when the host said she was surprised I didn't eat this one dish that was "healthy"--it was uncomfortable, but I said I'd just had it, and that yes, normally I would eat it.

Bill--the picture of you walking through Paris nibbling a baguette is hilarious--the anti-Beck!

Tera--I'm so glad your mother got a liver. I just found out that my stepfather is having muddled thinking from his liver troubles. Good for you for planning to be on plan at the hospital--that's a big thing, with the stress, waiting, vending machines and cafeteria food. I've taken up knitting recently, and it really helps when I'm waiting for anything, keeps my hands busy.

Greenville Beth--Maybe you've gotten yourself into a job that will allow you to bloom into your social self. Kudos for applying, interviewing, accepting and starting this job--that's big!

Ok, time to change my shoes and head out for my walk.

Margaret
Old 06-04-2009, 09:53 PM   #33  

S/C/G: 220/168/145

Height: 5'4"

Cool Thursday

WI-down .25 lbs. Made a plan, and read my cards Food – op, Exercise – op. I took an extra walk after work, so I exercised over an hour today. Credit!
Fatigue – 2.3 (1=Felt Great, 5=Extreme Fatigue)
I realized today that my thyroid has gotten my Irish up. I am stubbornly insistent that I will exercise and be fit, even though my thyroid makes me want to lie down all too often. It whispers sabotaging thoughts about staying in bed an extra hour or laying down after work, and I just quote Beck -- NO CHOICE! (well except when I'm traveling I'm afraid... ) : In January, when I thought my thyroid was fully treated, I decided I wanted to get to the point where I exercised a minimum of 1 hour a day. My goal was to do 15 mins each of Yoga, Strength, Walking, and Elliptical every day. So, in addition to walking every day, I started using My Fitness Coach for Yoga and Strength exercises in February. It caused extreme fatigue for weeks and made me realize I had to move towards my long term exercise goal very slowly, or I wouldn’t make it at all. And I got kinda mad about it I think.
NSV: Being a stubborn Irishwoman has it's benefits. As of this week I’m doing a minimum of 45 minutes a day – including Strength training *with* handweights 2-3 times a week. Next week I hope to start doing the elliptical. The last time I tried (19 months ago), 5 mins on the elliptical put me in bed for 2 days. I’m stronger now, and I believe I can beat the elliptical, if I take my time. I figure I’ll start at 5 mins a week if necessary. I will get to 15 minutes a day at some point; it might be 4 months from now, might be a year. But I will do it. I am Irish, after all.
Beth Sounds like you have a great strategy for cravings. Credit for going for a walk when feeling so tired!

Bill Reading the manual is completely against my world-view. I prefer to try it out, get mad because it doesn’t work as I expect it to, and repeat several times, before I’ll finally open the manual. Credit for following a much more productive path! Nice story about the new guy at the gym – credit to both of you!

Amusing story about the baguette. All-things-gluten taste best in Paris -- they really know how to make bread, pastries, etc. (sigh… )

Anne Kudos for the exercise – your exercise always sounds so exotic and fun. (Well except for the 90 degree part, and it’s not even summer yet!)

Tera for your Mom’s liver! It must take a huge load off… How long before you know the prognosis on the surgery, recovery etc.? How is your Mom feeling today? Thanks for the best wishes for my hubbie.

Oh and sorry to see your pain is up. Is it stress about Mom, or something else?

Robin Hope the chiro visit takes care of the last of the pain.

Margaret Credit for taking your walk!
Old 06-04-2009, 10:56 PM   #34  

Height: 5'7"

Coaches/Buddies I was so on plan today. The donuts were not about me. I had a good day at work and a nice rest day. I haven't figured out my exercise for tomorrow yet. Still scraping time at work after DS's and my days out on Monday/Tuesday. I'm also off for my first mammogram. Could be two rest days in a row, but I'll try for something. Maybe a run.

I started working with my triathlon coach again, so my workouts after this week are all planned.

Tera Good to hear about your mother, and also that you aren't using this as a reason to go off plan.

Robin Happy to hear your massage worked out. Make a Memory Card. You stressed about it, and in the end, it was good. You tried something difficult and it worked out. Hurray!

Watch that wine! I saved enough calories for a beer tonight, which I'm enjoying immensely, but I'm all done eating so it can't (usually) lull me into eating more than I should.

Margaret I LOVE the idea of going out a different door. Such a simple work around!

ChinaMaine Good to hear about your exercise!

We have two summers here in Tucson, dry and wet. Both are hot! Thunderstorms typically start in July, but we've been getting some previews.

'Night everybody!

Anne
Old 06-05-2009, 06:14 AM   #35  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Friday - So very TGI'

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Food Op, other than one little problem, walk included buying two pounds of strawberries for $3; CREDIT moi.

Little Problem: the Customer was in town for our weekly meeting. Food Pusher #2 arrived with a box of pastry from the best shop in town - the kind tied with twine. Normally Not About Me helps me to coast past this stuff. I'd just had my morning snack of toasted soy nuts before the meeting; wasn't hungry. Food Pusher #1 grabbed a Danish the size of a pizza loaded with four different glazed-somethings. The Customer, a large man, dug down to retrieve an almond croissant the size of a cabbage and, with some remark containing the word "shouldn't" took half. In one nano-second I was overwhelmed by the notion that it would help our contract for me to bond with the Customer by eating the other half and before there was even time for a punctuation mark behind that thought it was down the gullet. Ooops. Oh Well.

So, dear rationalization lawyer, Anne (wndranne), is a sudden recognition of the Customer's feelings sufficient or should I blame ChinaMaine who introduced this Paris gluten-glutton notion? Would your decision be influenced if it were the best croissant I've ever had on this side of the Atlantic?

Robin (RobinW) - Yay for your success with the Chiro and massage therapy. And yay again that you plan to go back.

LOL at "I don't like round things either." Good grief!!!!!

Anne (wndranne) - Kudos for using Not About Me on those donuts.

And Kudos for doing the aquathlon series every Wednesday; you sure do well with your athletics.

Tera (twilit tera) - Yay for your mom's new liver, and Kudos for your determination to be on plan regardless of hospital diversions.

Yep, the camera's got artificial intelligence. At least. It has a setting where it waits for the subject to smile. I can't get past that one. What will happen on my vacation if I choose to shoot a dour camel? Perhaps I'll never return, LOL.

ChinaMaine - Ouch that the fatigue remains elevated. Kudos for invoking your inner stubborn Irishwoman to keep on exercising. Hoping you find the right path that avoids that two days out of commission thing.

Are you typing on your repaired laptop yet?

Margaret (Nuxmaga) - Kudos for the walking and for modifying your plans to avoid the food temptations.

Readers -
Quote:
Stage 2
The Think Thin Initial Eating Plan

Eating Guidelines
Prepare as many meals as possible at home; eat at home or carry your meals and snack with you.
The Complete Beck Diet for Life, pg 112

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 06-05-2009 at 08:41 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 06-05-2009, 09:02 AM   #36  
stand-up philosopher

S/C/G: 276/260/???

WI: -.5
Pain: 0/3/6
Activity: 3

Pain is definitely linked to activity level. The more I'm on it, the more it hurts. Overall, though, the numbers are low for the amount of activity I'm doing lately.

Credits: calorie counting , walking to the grocery store for stew ingredients , vitamins , shoes

Mom's new liver is working, the docs say. She's in ICU in stable condition til later today.

Robin: I'm glad that chiro/massage therapy worked so well!

Margaret: Best wishes for your stepfather. What's his diagnosis? It took years for them to figure out what was wrong with Mom...

ChinaMaine: I applaud your perseverance.

Anne: for not about me.

Thanks everyone for your warm wishes and thoughts about my mom.
Old 06-05-2009, 09:35 AM   #37  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

Bill~ "LOL at "I don't like round things either." Good grief!!!!!" I was sooooooo thrilled when our coaster supplier finally got square coasters I ordered a whole case! I can sell those suckers! LOL
Old 06-05-2009, 09:22 PM   #38  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Post Hello Again

Hi Coaches

Friday night and I made it through the week.

Now on to the weekend. I am demo-ing at the school of art for the Doors Open Ottawa event. Those who choose tp check out the school will find me making prints in the print room. I plan to get the work I wanted to get done before done during the two hours at the demo. I even get paid for it.

Before that though I will be wandering the booths at the Glebe art in the park this weekend. I will be handing out flyers for our show there to artists who we've already accepted and also handing out flyers to those we might want in our show. It's another marathon race weekend here but this park isn't as close to downtown as the park we are in so the traffic will just be show bad, not race spectator and event bad.

And after all this we head to Montreal for dinner (2hrs) with DH's brother for his birthday and then we come home. It will be an exhausting day. But a fun day. I hope.

Sunday I have nothing going on.
Yay.

Anyway i have nothing to say about my food. I still don't have any motivation to do anything real about it even though I daily think I am ruining my health. I do think I'll turn the corner soon but I am not going to write that out right now. I don't really trust that part of my brain. It lies to me. When i satart just doing it then I'll believe it. This makes me sound crazy doesn't it? I just am tired of saying I am doing this or that only to see me not do this or that. And I am really tired of saying that stuff here. I am sure people must glaze over at my posts by now... it jsut feels liek the same old thing all the time.

Ah well.

That's not the point here anyway. It's just to write when we need to write and to root out sabotaging thoughts. I see many of them in this post.

Thnaks for that coaches. I promise to keep on keepin on until I get "it" back again.

Enjoy your weekend.
Old 06-05-2009, 09:59 PM   #39  

S/C/G: 276/see ticker

Height: 5'4

Default Day 14 - 15

Today's weight: Holding steady

It has been a couple of crazy days. I've been way too busy. I worked today and my opening was tonight. I also had to poke my head into a couple of other openings, so it was a long day / night. I didn't get my walk in today or yesterday. It was pouring down rain yesterday, so that's my excuse. I was planning on walking after work tonight and before the opening, but I didn't get home in time. I only had about 45 minutes to change / eat / and get ready for the opening and get there. I will be doing a ton of yard work tomorrow, so that will help.

Day 14 - 15: Plan for tomorrow / Monitor Your Eating

I did write out my food list last night for today, which I followed. Credit me. I have also made my food list for tomorrow. I want to take some time this weekend to re-read the first 15 days in the book. I feel like I've been so busy the last few days that I've been skimming over things. I really want them to sink in and give them the due and time they deserve.

Onebyone - You'll know when the time is right to do something real about it. Cut yourself some slack. You're going through a lot of changes right now. It takes awhile to sort them all out.

Tera - I hope your mother is doing well. You're doing a great job with all the stress that I'm sure this is causing. Credit for that!

Bill - You may have made a friend for life eating half his roll. I'm actually going to Paris (and England for school) at the end of the year. I'll make it my mission to take care of some of that bread for you.

Anne - You go! All your activity is really motivating me. I can not wait to get my new bike. Major credit for you.

ChinaMaine - Great job on all the exercising. It's not easy to swim upstream. Credit!

Margaret - Thanks for the kind words. The crazy thing about this job is that I didn't interview, apply or anything else. I just happened to run into the Executive Director of the theatre (who I knew slightly) and we started talking and she told me her business manager has quit the day before and I said, I can do that job. She said, do you know anything about accounting? I said, I have a degree in accounting and the job was mine. It's funny because I hadn't seen her in over a year. We've decided it was meant to be.

RobinW - Hope you had a good day.

I'm sorry if I missed anyone. I went back pretty far. To anyone I didn't catch....here's a shout out to ya!

All best,

Beth

Last edited by Greenville Beth; 06-05-2009 at 10:03 PM.
Old 06-05-2009, 10:41 PM   #40  

Coaches/Buddies I did nothing today for exercise. But feel good about it, and have a run planned tomorrow morning. DS fell asleep at about 3:30 today and appears to be down for the night! DD had some drama. My eating was good, and perhaps even on the low side of normal. Work was decent.

DS's 1st birthday party is tomorrow. I think I'm in denial. EEEEKK.

Bill I think you were using your rationalization of the Customer's feelings as an excuse. Boo hiss. But you are totally forgiven if it was indeed the best croissant I've ever had on this side of the Atlantic. I'm of the philosophy that occasional, unplanned treats are ok, if they are worth it. I think it qualifies.

Tera Glad to hear about your mom's good progress, and that you are staying on plan through all of this.

Robin Hurray for non-round coasters. I think. I like round.

onebyone Good work on identifying those sabotaging thoughts. I think you are setting yourself up for a Big Click soon.

Beth Nice work writing down your food plan. That is a tough one for me.

Night everybody!

Anne
Old 06-06-2009, 03:39 AM   #41  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Saturday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Ate OP and did gym; CREDIT moi. Lunch was a frozen Lean Cuisine steak tips - not particularly good or satisfying. I bought five of these on a huge sale thinking they'd be great backups when I was out of food or time. So far, I've not liked the first three. If I wasn't so stubborn I'd just toss the last two, but I won't. Perhaps when the salmon one comes to the top I'll add a can of sardines to it for flavor, LOL.

onebyone - Yay for a monster busy day; hope your recruiting went well. Did you go to a restaurant in Montreal?

Kudos for posting and for "I promise to keep on keepin on." Get your head and spirit on track and eating will follow.

Have you had time to get that new bicycle out lately?

Robin (RobinW) - So neat to find happiness in square coasters. A whole case of square coasters no less.

Anne (wndranne) - Happy Birthday DS. Good luck to you avoiding whatever cake and ice cream appear in your face. And Congrats to you for matching that with your full year of continuous loss and exercise. Hard to imagine what physical shape you'll have achieved by his eighteenth.

Thanks for the thought "that occasional, unplanned treats are ok, if they are worth it." Velveeta on a Ritz cracker never fits that criteria and the operative word, occasional, must be remembered.

Tera (twilit tera) - Yay for your mom's working liver. Continuing to send supportive thoughts for her recovery. Does this mean that the tube is removed and she goes back to a normal life?

Kudos for all the activity despite its increase in pain. Hopefully you're doing the right thing. Love the thought of walking to the grocery store for stew ingredients. That's my kind of walking.

Beth (Greenville Beth) - Ouch for so busy that a "ton of yard work" appears as relaxing, LOL. Is this the standard for your new job?

Kudos for marching along with the Beck Program Days including a written food plan. That's good stuff.

Ah, my agent in Paris for gluten-glutton, what a deal. Do you accept special orders?

Readers -
Quote:
Eating Guidelines

Eat all of the food on your plan. It's OK to leave food on your plate if your are full, but not if you are just trying to lose weight faster. If you routinely skip some food and find yourself getting hungry an hour later, this means you're not eating enough at meals.

Old 06-06-2009, 09:02 AM   #42  
stand-up philosopher

S/C/G: 276/260/???

WI: none today
Pain: 1/3/5
Activity: 3

Spent a few hours in the ICU. Mom was awake, then asleep, then awake, then asleep... well, if any of you have had someone recovering from a big procedure, you probably understand. She's still getting over the anaesthesia.

Her color is great, and when she was awake, she was truly present. They've kept her one more night in ICU... being extra careful because it was a split liver transplant and they want to be absolutely sure it's not going to leak before they move her.

Last night I went waaaaay off plan. I wasn't feeling especially bored or emotional. I'm not even sure what the thought process was that led to it. Part of it was that I couldn't find a proper calorie count for my beverage. Hmm. Must do some more analysis, just not obsess on it.

The biggest factor might be the lack of exercise induced endorphins lately. I was looking for yummy to replace the swim buzz.
Old 06-06-2009, 04:18 PM   #43  
Practicing Imperfection

Had a thought, "there's the bakery, I could stop there," and paid attention to it. I need to keep reminding myself that those thoughts will float in, but I don't have to take them seriously.

So after eating two not very satisfying baked goods, and feeling hypercritical of myself, I came home and did a "Get back on track" response card--I am still struggling with Beck's idea that mistakes are normal. I assume they mean I am a bad person and a failure--what a challenge to accept them, and move on.
Old 06-07-2009, 05:23 AM   #44  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Sunday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Food OP without an issue because Saturday is the day for my sandwich of peanut butter on toasted whole wheat sandwich bread ends with pecans and a banana; CREDIT moi. It amazes me that I never tire of that sandwich, in fact, look forward to it. Exercise was of sufficient duration but of minimal intensity since we spent an inordinate amount of time watching a fledgling Downy Woodpecker chasing its mother begging for food; Oh Well.

I hate shopping. Was aghast; vanity sizing must have hit men's shirts or at least the one I wanted to buy. A medium fit like a tent and a small fit perfectly. This is unreal, I've never worn a size small in anything. Wish this size inflation thing would leave men's clothing alone. I should mention that I hate shopping. When my ship come in my butler will have my valet tell my tailor to make my shirts from a laser scan of my body and there will be no size tags.

Tera (twilit tera) - Yay that your mother is recovering; can imagine that seeing her with good color and fully present is encouraging. Would email her virtual chicken soup but feel that a liver transplant calls for something stronger.

Ouch for wandering off plan. Yay for just going forward.

Margaret (Nuxmaga) - Ouch for the Sabotaging Thought floating in; Kudos for recognizing it so you can throw us some strategies next time.

And Kudos for working on accepting that mistakes are normal. Wish I knew why that was so difficult.

Readers -
Quote:
Eating Guidelines
. . .
Notice your hunger level as you modify your eating.
. . .

Old 06-07-2009, 12:34 PM   #45  

Coaches/Buddies Kind of a big food day yesterday with DS's first birthday, and then dinner out with the girls. But it was planned, and that stuff happens. I also got out for my run, even though it stank. Credit moi.

So far so good today. It's been a halfway relaxing morning after lots of overstimulation on everyone's part yesterday.

Bill Sorry your Lean Cuisines aren't working out. I have mixed feelings about them myself. I hate shopping too. I think I'm the only chick around here like that.

Thanks for the great thoughts about how I'll look at DS's 18th. Wow. I just keep chipping away. BTW: I'm only 2 lbs above my pre-DS weight, and I'm calling that victory. Now to push on to pre-DD's weight, LOL.

Tera Very glad to hear your mom is doing well. Sounds like you might have gotten nabbed by the post-event off-plan monster. Just when you think its safe to back into the kitchen, wham!

Margaret Glad you got back on plan after the baked goods. It is useful for me to remember what was worth the calories and what isn't. Mediocre snacks just don't cut it.

Quiet around here this weekend. Hope you all are doing well.

Anne
Closed Thread