3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Diet Central > General Diet Plans and Questions > LA Weight Loss

Exchange plans - support thread

Old 10-08-2009, 12:07 AM   #106
Starting over

S/C/G: 257.8/242.4/135

Height: 5' 5"

That sounds wonderful Kaplods! I hear you about the knees. Laundry is a challenge for me too. (Ours is in the basement of our house.)

Just be careful about what you bring into your new place! It is ASTONISHING how quickly you can clutter up all that lovely space! (I'm reading Peter Walsh right now...so you have some idea that I unfortunately have experience in this regard!)

This may sound silly, too, but take pictures of your new space--every room--every corner. I find it interesting to look back over the years at how things have changed---

"Your best weight is whatever weight you reach, when you're living the healthiest life you actually enjoy." Yoni Freedhoff
Alana in Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 12:50 AM   #107

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Good idea. We're already working on undoing the bad habits we had at the last apartment regarding clutter. We've vowed that nothing comes in the apartment, without something of equal volume going out.

We're also working on chore lists to make housecleaning and tidying a lot easier. It's a lot easier to keep a house tidy than to clean it once it's gone "to the dark side."

http://www.dreamstormdesigns.etsy.com
etsy link by permission from 3fc! Want to add yours? Ask them!
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 07:06 PM   #108

Had to search for this thread, are there any still on the exchange program? I hope so!

SMILE JESUS LOVES YOU
"
Do not destroy the work of God for the sake of food." Romans 14:20a (NIV

Goal one......200
Goal 2..........195
Bootsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 10:59 PM   #109

I'm still using exchanges. I'm also going to be rejoining TOPS as soon as I can afford the yearly and first month's local dues. I have to postpone it a couple weeks more than I wanted to - until I find out how much I'm going to owe the dentist (I have an appontment early tomorrow to assess the damages. I have at least two teeth that are giving me a lot of trouble). I just hope the teeth can be saved, because it will take months to save for crowns, implants, a bridge or partial dentures, and they missing teeth in a very visible location.

Old 09-14-2010, 01:06 AM   #110

Hi Kaplods! So glad your still with it! I know we don't really like going to a dentist but just like taking a bath we gotta do it ever once in awhile. Bills stink but especially right now for just about everyone I know, including me. I fell 5 feet out the back door, forgot the steps was not there so far that fall has cost me 700 dollars in doctor bills and they still have not all came in. I am doing better but my hip is still not up to par but i still working with my animals. They say teeth have a-lot to do with peoples health , so that is really important. It looks like you have done really good on exchanges,

It seems no one is posting here anymore are they posting somewhere else for exchanges? I have gone back to exchange for it is so much easier than any other diet I been on, and I have been on a-lot. I best hit the bed, tired and gotta work in hubbies place tomorrow , be praying for everything to go all right for you tomorrow. Bootsie

SMILE JESUS LOVES YOU
"

Goal one......200
Goal 2..........195

Last edited by Bootsie : 09-14-2010 at 01:07 AM.
Old 09-14-2010, 04:47 PM   #111

I actually am one of the weirdos who doesn't mind going to the dentist at all, in fact I kind of like it. Something about being in the dentist's chair totally relaxes me and I sometimes even have a hard time staying awake (I must be crazy, because I know most people have the opposite reaction). I think it was my childhood dentist, he was so nice and had such a calm, low voice it was almost hypnotic.

I've not exactly been worried about the bills, I'm worried about finding an oral surgeon who will work out a payment plan. Being on medicare we have no dental insurance whatsoever, and while our dentist will work out a payment plan, the local oral surgeons aren't as flexible. If you do not have insurance, you pretty much have to put it on a credit card (which we don't have enough available credit to do) or pay cash up front. One or two will accept a payment plan, but they'll only divide it into three or four payments, but no more (and with oral surgery often running into the thousands of dollars, we can't complete payment in three months and so we can't make an appointment until we have all of the cash up front, or at least 80% of it).

But, thankfully, as it turns out it was not as bad as I feared. The dentist feels the infected molar is actually causing the pain in the other teeth (I was afraid that several would need pulling). Ideally we'd do a root canal on it, but because the tooth is cracked, she feels that a root canal only has about a 50% chance of success, maybe less. She told us that if we had the money to take the risk, it would probably be worth the attempt, but she didn't recommend that because of our financial situation. Pulling it makes more sense.

Another bonus, in the four teeth that were hurting badly, the one that needs pulling is the furthest back in the mouth, right behind a gap I already have from an almost identical dental situation we had about a year and a half ago (a tooth needing a root canal being pulled instead). The money we were saving to get a false tooth, will now be spent on the extraction, and we'll be saving for two false teeth. The gap shouldn't be more noticeable than it is already - which is very noticeable when I laugh, but otherwise I can hide it by smiling with closed lips and being careful of how much I open my mouth when I talk.

Not the greatest news, but much, much better than I was expecting.

Last edited by kaplods : 09-14-2010 at 04:47 PM.
Old 09-14-2010, 07:45 PM   #112

I don't know I think it is pretty good news. Look at all you thought was going to have to have done. My brother in law had to have his front teeth pulled, dentist said they were dead, so he pulled them. I think he looks so cute when he laughs!

SMILE JESUS LOVES YOU
"

Goal one......200
Goal 2..........195
Old 09-15-2010, 12:35 AM   #113

It really is good news, but I can't help but be a bit disappointed. Hubby and I were planning on visiting my family in Illinois for my mother and nephews birthday (later this month the same day, 9/27), but the dental work expense means we can't make the trip.

They're all very understanding, and it can't be helped, but I am a bit bummed, I was really looking forward to the trip. But even with that, it could be much worse, so I'm thankful for most of it, and just a bit sad at the unfortunate aspect. We try to spend every other Christmas with my family in IL, and every other year with hubby's family in WI. This year is my family's turn, so even though we won't see them this month, we should be able to visit around Christmas (barring blizzard or more dental work), so all-in-all it's working out.
If the dental work had been what I was fearing it would be, we would have had to cancel the Christmas visit too - so in the end, it's far more good news than bad.

Oh, and the TOPS group went great. The TOPS group scale is about two to three pounds off from my scale at home, but it works out perfectly. My naked weight at home is the same as my clothed weight there, so I don't have to do any mental "translation" of the club weight in comparison to my scale at home.

I picked this group because of all the contests they run. They do a mystery auction once a month (everyone brings in an item, and wraps it, including a card with a hint as to what the item is. Then people bid on the items based only on the hints).

The monthly auction proceeds fund the other contests, the annual Christmas party, and a yearly donation to charity.

I wanted a group that did contests, because I find them motivating, but this group does so many, it's kind of confusing, but there are many opportunities to win small cash prizes. One that I thought was cute, and a bit unusual is that the person who wins "best loser" for each quarter gets a "shower" where everyone in the group brings a gift ($2 value maximum) for the best loser. Also, for every month that you lose at least a quarter (or half, I don't remember which) pound, your monthly dues are waived for that month.

This should help me light a fire under my butt. I find the games and contests motivating. They run contests for KOPS too (TOPS members who have reached their goal weight - "keeping off pounds sensibly).

Every week they also do a little challenge. This weeks challenge is daily exercise. If you participate, you owe a dime for every day you do not do at least some form of exercise. At a theoretical 70 cents, this is the most "expensive" challenge on the rotating list (last week's was a dime if you did not eat two servings of beans this last week).

Seems like a fun group.

Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.