Exchange plans - support thread

You're on Page 6 of 8
Go to
  • Quote: OK I have been doing the foodmover my way, now I have been reading I may have been doing it wrong.
    This morning I had 2 eggs, 2 slices of turkey bacon, 1/2 C cottage cheese and 1 slice of toast with a little butter,
    So I counted it as 4 protein, 2 for 2 eggs, 1 for 2 slices of turkey bacon and 1 for the cottage cheese, 1 starch for the toast, and 1 fat for the butter.
    Am I right?
    I believe the bacon counts as 2 fats. Regular bacon counts as 1 fat per strip on my Deal A Meal. Turkey bacon might be 1 fat for 2 or 3 strips. I am not certain on that but I can look up my updated info (from the Richard Simmons website) and get back to you later. Cottage cheese counts as a dairy if I remember correctly.
  • Karen what I go by is the old first place meat exchange so it may be a little different, think you did really good on your breakfast though;
    This is what I got:
    2 eggs- 2 meats 1 fat , yolk has fat in it my understanding, best part! If you had egg whites only they can be counted as meat or milk! We just learned that the last year I was in First place.

2 slices Turkey Bacon 1 meat 1 fat

1/2 cottage cheese 1 milk

1 toast -1 bread

1 T. butter - 1 fat

Make sure you drink plenty of water.
  • Hi everyone,

Welcome Mickey!

Bootsie, what bible study do you use? Is it something off the internet? I've been searching for a good bible study program. Something that is interesting and really makes you think. I'm sorry to say that there is so much I don't know when it comes to the bible and I'm really wanting to learn.

I messed up really bad today. I had to take my mom and dad to Poplar Bluff, MO, for their VA appts. It always makes their day whenever they have to go there, to go to Ryans and eat from their buffet. I wanted to do good. I kept thinking about Kaplods and how well she did at the Golden Corral. And I really wanted to be like her but when I got up there to all that food, well, let's say I better stay away from buffet places for awhile.

But I'm putting that behind me and will plan for tomorrow before I go to bed tonight. I hope you all are having a good one today.

mary
  • Things like Bacon are counted as both a fat and a protein. On the old, old ww plan, you were "allowed" four eggs a week: and one counted as one protein. Actually, come to think of it, I don't think the Bacon counted as a protein at all--just a fat. (45 calories per slice.) That's how I count it on my plan, anyway.

Cheese (regular fat. I don't like the texture of low fat) is one protein and one fat.

1/2 cup of cottage heese is simply a protein.

Dairy is just milk and yogurt. All the rest of it is protein--that's what I do, anyway. It doesn't strictly matter--as long as it works for you!
  • Mary, Kelli in the Faith Group has a Bible study going, I just use my own diet, ya might want to check it out. She hits lots of where I have been , sorta hits home so to speak but I do better on the exchange program.
  • Sorry, Kaplods, meant to thank you for the link to the blog. I will check it out as soon as I can.
  • Thank you everybody for your input, I guess there is a difference in exchanges after all. I go by Hillbilly website and she says cottage cheese is protein. I didn't know about the fat in eggs or the bacon, but it does make sense.

Mary, google Jordan Parks, it a great Bible Study, DH and I did the whole study, very interesting.
  • I think that as long as you are consistent and you are making well informed choices (like whether you want to eat no eggs, four eggs or an unlimited amount each week, depending on your understanding of the research out there on the advisability of eating egg yolks) you really can't go wrong.

One of the reasons I like an exchange plan is that I don't have to get hung up on paralysing perfection. Maybe I'll feel differently when I have to "watch" what I eat more closely--as there is less and less of me to lose--but for right now getting in the "ball park" of my goals (1600 calories, divvied up as the chart above shows) is good enough.
  • Quote: I think that as long as you are consistent and you are making well informed choices (like whether you want to eat no eggs, four eggs or an unlimited amount each week, depending on your understanding of the research out there on the advisability of eating egg yolks) you really can't go wrong.
    That is the truth right there. As long as you are sticking to your plan you cannot go wrong.

Great blog Alana. I am enjoying reading about your progress and I have to say you have a very pretty kitchen. I had always wanted a yellow kitchen (I have an ugly white one.).
  • Quote: Thank you everybody for your input, I guess there is a difference in exchanges after all. I go by Hillbilly website and she says cottage cheese is protein. I didn't know about the fat in eggs or the bacon, but it does make sense...
    The differences really are not nearly as significant as you might think. There are many foods that can be counted several different ways. Some plans "make" the decision for you, and some give you the choice of how to count it (for example allowing you to calculate 80 calories worth of cottage cheese as either one protein or one dairy serving). Fruit, starch, and dairy exchanges have similar carbohydrate and calorie counts, so while they're not completely interchangeable there are a lot of foods that could be counted several different ways. Dairy foods generally have a similar protein content to protein exchanges, so they also can often be counted "either way."

In one of my reference books, beans can be counted either as starches, proteins or split half/half. Some programs may make the choice for you, but that doesn't mean that when using a recipe from a different plan you have to worry about it. It won't "undo" the balance or the weight loss effects, if you count the recipe as it was calculated by the recipe writer (unless the exchanges are significantly different in calorie count, such as in the DASH diet where 1 protein exchange is equivalent to 3 protein exchanges in most other plans).

In the scheme of things it's not a big deal whether you count three pieces of bacon as three fats or as one protein and two fats. Or 1/2 cup of cottage cheese as a dairy or as a protein. Your weight loss and your nutrition isn't going to be impacted by a difference in categorization (because these are foods that could legitimately fit in one or more categories, and the calorie counts are quite similar).

Counting egg whites as milk doesn't make sense to me at all, because while they both contain proteins, egg whites don't contain much calcium. Which is what I had always believed the dairy exchange was designed for, as a calcium delivery exchange. It doesn't concern me though, that some plans would count it that way - I just wouldn't (because getting enough calcium is often a problem for me. I take a supplement, but I still try to get a decent amount from foods, and I can easily neglect the dairy group if I'm not trying to include it).

I actually often count a 3 oz can of sardines as 2 protein and 1 dairy, because I eat the bones (and thus the calcium content is about the same as a glass of milk). However, if I've already used my dairy for the day, I count the sardines as 3 protein, or as 2 protein and 1 fat.

My Exchanges for All Occasions books, shows a way to determine/calculate exchanges for foods that you know the nutritional breakdown for, but don't have the recipe, and may not even have the ingredient list (such as frozen entrees). It's "art" as much as science. Sometimes there are several possible breakdowns (and it's not a big deal, as long as you're "in the ballpark" especially calorie wise).

Just like point and calorie counting, and most other plans as well, you can get caught up in the details, analyzing them to death and distraction. Make your best guess, and move on.
  • Thanks kaplods, I love reading your posts, i learn from you. This time I will not get caught up on details and then talk myself out of doing it. I wil use cottage cheese as a protein since dairy is my favorite one saved for yogurt and a glass of milk with dinner.
    I get to hung up on doing a diet PERFECT, and when I can't i just quit. I forget I can start my food plan over any time of the day and just continue form there.
  • It is nice to have different choices in the exchange as I said and was so surprised when I joined there are so many ways in the exchange diet, when i thought there was only one way. It is so wonderful to have a choice. Yes Kaplod I was surprised at having egg whites counted toward dairy also. In fact there was some conversing on that also.

I found on perfect body toning this:
    1 large egg white can contain up to 3 g of protein, 2 mg of calcium, 4 mg of phosphorus, 45 mg of potassium, 55 mg of sodium and the tinniest bit of riboflavin.

So I guess that is where they got we could use it for meat or Milk in our diet.
    I was surprised but loved it for if I was lacking in Milk I could count it there.

I love sardines too Kaplod but never thought of counting them as a calcium, thanks for that info , that does make sense , more sense than egg whites does to me, thanks. I often lack in calcium and any way I can get some in is great. Do you count it as all one milk or have protein and so much milk ? Don't quite understand...sorry sometimes you have to take a hammer to my head to understand something, that other people understand instantly. Also do you or anyone else, know of other foods that contain calcium that I can use in the milk area?
  • Quote: ...Kaplods, meant to thank you for the link to the blog...
    Your welcome. Hopefully, I eventually will be able to review some of the books. I did add a review of a WW cookbook I just bought for a $1 in a thrift store. It's not a flashy book (most of the recipes don't have pictures), but there are quite a few recipes I'm intending to try.

Quote: ...
    I love sardines too Kaplod but never thought of counting them as a calcium, thanks for that info... Do you count it as all one milk or have protein and so much milk ?..
    for a standard 3.74 ounce can of sardines (drained) that were canned in water or any non-oil ingredient (mustard, hot sauce, tomato sauce, water...)

I count them as any of these

2 protein and 1 dairy
    3 protein
    2 protein and 1 fat

If the sardines were canned in oil (I almost never buy these), I drain the sardines as best I can and count an extra fat.
  • Bootsie......a 1/4 block (2.9 ounces) of tofu contains a lot of calcium

Calories 117 (491 kJ)
    % Daily Value 1
    Total Fat 7g 11%
    Sat. Fat 1g 5%
    Cholesterol 0mg 0%
    Sodium 11mg 0%
    Total Carbs. 3.5g 1%
    Dietary Fiber 1.9g 7%
    Protein 12.8g
    Calcium 553.2mg
    Potassium 192mg

from CalorieKing
  • Thanks C.Woman , I have never tried tofu, and where would you find it in the grocery store, I shop mainly at Walmart and HEB. What is your favorite dish that you prepare it with? Reason I ask is, sometimes I buy new products but don't really have the best recipe and I end up not liking it, and don't try it again. I don't want to do that in this case because; just look at the high content of calcium, potassium in it ! Might be good for cramps in my legs and low in calories. If you can give me your favorite dish I can look up the recipe on the internet in google. That way you won't have to type it all out for me. Then Monday when I go to town get some and try it.
    Thanks Kalop between you and C.woman I should have no problem keeping my calcium filled, also help my bones who the Doctor said is not in such good shape.