Old 05-28-2009, 12:38 PM   #1  
It's either Now or Now

S/C/G: 185/ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

Default I hate chicken! What else can I eat?

I'm following a great meal plan that is simple. For a few lunches, though, it recommends 6 oz chicken breast and leaf greens. I hate chicken. Leaf greens are okay, though I'm not great with my veggies, but know I should get them in. I'm much better about eating my dinner veggies - I enjoy them at that hour actually, but for some reason, at lunch time, veggies feel yucky.

Anyway, I'm making substitutions for some of the foods, but this one is a common one and I feel kind of weird making too many subs because I don't trust myself (if I knew how to do this well, I wouldn't need to follow anything). So I'm hesitant to substitute this meal when it calls for it, but I also don't want to be choking down my meal (not a good recipe for long-term success if I hate what I'm eating).

Any ideas on nutritional and calorie equivalents for 6oz of chicken and leaf green salad? (I could live with the salad). BTW, I'm allergic to soy so tofu's out and I already eat fish/seafood most evenings so not sure if I could/should have it for lunch as well.

Thanks for any advice ... I know this is a really simple silly question, but I am truly stumped.
Itstime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 12:42 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 273/ticker/140

Height: 5'4

well, you could use ground turkey, make a sort of patty out of it? if you season it correctly i think you might really like it it is a mild flavor, and you can pair it with just about anything-it resembles beef, but its turkey hope that helps!
bitetoobreakkskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 12:49 PM   #3  
Here We Go Again

S/C/G: 256 / TICKER / 140

Height: 5'3"

I eat a lot of lean ground turkey. I use it to make tacos, meatballs, burgers, etc. I'll make turkey meatballs and freeze them. Cook them when I need to. I'll throw them into a salad and they're yummy and a good replacement for chicken. It's just me and my fiance, so I usually buy 1.3lb packages of lean ground turkey. I use half to make three turkey burgers (2 for him, 1 for me), then cook up the other half and save it for turkey tacos the next day - hard taco sells, lettuce, salsa, the ground turkey, fat-free sour cream, and reduced fat shredded mexican cheese. Sometimes I'll crush the taco shells into smaller pieces and top with the ingredients, so it's like nachos. Less sodium then regular tortilla chips!

Also fish is another substitute. Salmon is my favorite. I'll marinade it in a low cal/ low fat dressing and then bake. Simple and delish. You can chop it and mix it with a salad or eat it with veggies.
WormwoodDoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 01:00 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 186/ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

Going back to my Medifast days with the "lean and green", here are my suggestions for the protein:

7 oz. of: ground turkey or other meat (at least 98% lean), crab, scallops, shrimp, lobster, deer, buffalo or elk.

6 oz. of: ground turkey or other meat (95-97% lean) or light meat turkey.

5 oz of: lean beef (such as steak or roast), lamb, pork chop, pork tenderloin, dark meat turkey or chicken.

Meatless: 3 whole eggs, 2 whole eggs plus 4 egg whites or 2 cups of EggBeaters.

I haven't had them personally, but I do know that Amy's California Veggie Burger is soy free.

Reference: http://www.medifast1.com/community/d...uick_start.pdf (page 5 of 23)

Last edited by babes315; 05-28-2009 at 01:02 PM.
babes315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 01:46 PM   #5  

How about tuna packed in water, deli select luncheon meats, avacado, most ham is 98% fat free and low in calories? There are many choices, yake time when you're shopping to read labels.
Idealperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 03:01 PM   #6  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

I'd say eat fish at lunch also, as long as you are picking fish that are low in Mercury you will probably be okay. I think Tilapia is one that is low level Mercury.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote