View Poll Results: Which of these apply to you? (you can pick more than one answer)
I use protein shakes/bars as a meal replacement 13 33.33%
I use protein shakes/bars as a main course, pairing with a small side 4 10.26%
I use protein shakes/bars as a snack only or to curb nighttime cravings 12 30.77%
I use them for before or after exercising 11 28.21%
I don't use them at all 11 28.21%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-05-2009, 01:05 AM   #1  
~one cool chickie~

S/C/G: 250/245/135

Height: 5'8"

Arrow Protein powders, bars, shakes...oh MY!

Alright girls (and guys),

I'm curious... I know a ton of us enjoy protein shakes, bars and all that good stuff. So let's see how those of us that use them incorporate them into our plans? Like for din din as a main course, like a protein shake with a plate of steamed veggies on the side or with some yogurt for breakfast) or a meal replacement - meaning nothing but the bar/shake, for either breakfast, lunch or dinner? Or after exercising, or for days you're too rushed to cook? Things like... why do you use them - for health, for hunger, for having a sweet tooth but don't wanna trash ur diet? Any brands you would tell others to steer clear of, any brands you swear taste the awesomemest? I know it helps with my energy - how about yours? I think there are more of us out there than we might think So come on, feel free to discuss this topic and vote while you're at it

Last edited by honeybear; 05-05-2009 at 01:19 AM.
honeybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 08:40 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I have a protein shake first thing in AM followed up by a snack a liitle later. This is breakfast, I haven't found a bar that I like.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 09:46 AM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

No real option for me. I use them 'once in a great while'. Possibly, once a month?
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 09:54 AM   #4  
Brown Eyed Staccie

S/C/G: Way too much to "Just Right"

Height: 5 feet 6 inches

I've had great success in the past using them, and I choose ones that have very low sugar and packed with protein (shakes) and vitamins. Taste is important too. I have one in the morning and sometimes at night before bed (especially if I have worked out in the evening). I blend them with ice and skim milk or soy milk. I don't like to eat too much in the morning and this is perfect. When I am stuck without food, I will buy a protein bar as a last resort but I maybe only eat a few a month. It helps me get enough calories sometimes too.
Brown Eyed Staccie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 11:04 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 215/207/165

Hi All,
I use the bars to curb my taste for sweet stuff. the bar I like is the atkins peanut caramel cluster bar it taste almost as good as a payday candy bar.
bettyboop56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 11:19 AM   #6  
So close!

S/C/G: 162/143/105

Height: 5'3"

I have a chocolate protein shake for breakfast every morning. I have it with a bottle of water, and nothing else until 11:30 lunchtime. I never ate breakfast before this, and I love the shake because it tastes great and gives me a chocolate fix, gives me protein and fiber which I have a hard time getting otherwise, and gives me energy for the rest of the day. Yum!
Rowenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 07:15 AM   #7  
So close!

S/C/G: 162/143/105

Height: 5'3"

Has anyone tried the Biggest Loser protein powder? I saw it being advertised all last night on the show, and I looked it up and it looks better than mine... but I'm always wary of buying online and changing products. Anyone tried it?
Rowenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 07:19 AM   #8  
rainy

Being on the Paleo diet, refined foods and replacements aren't allowed and I'm glad, lol, I don't think those are 'real' foods!
Old 05-07-2009, 09:19 PM   #9  
~one cool chickie~

S/C/G: 250/245/135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowenna View Post
Has anyone tried the Biggest Loser protein powder? I saw it being advertised all last night on the show, and I looked it up and it looks better than mine... but I'm always wary of buying online and changing products. Anyone tried it?
I personally saw it, but chose Kashi Go Lean instead for the difference in protein and fiber. There are other differences depending on what is important to you - carbs, sugar, calories etc so I will list those too. For a meal replacement, I think the BL is a bit low on the calorie aspect, but each have pros and cons.

Biggest Loser Chocolate Deluxe flavour protein powder:
6g protein
6g fiber
50 calories
1g sugar (23g Stevia)
8g carbs
1g fat (0.5 saturated)

Kashi Go Lean Chocolate protein powder:
21g protein
7g fiber
220 calories
23g sugar
32g carbs
1g fat (0 saturated)

If I might also add, I use 8 oz fat free milk with my Kashi powder, and I also add an extra 8oz of water, to up my water intake. Making this small addition really did not make a taste difference to me at all, and man how it filled me up even more than the 8oz of milk alone did - four hours later I had to force myself to eat something, albeit small just to keep the metabolism flowing and my body from guessing when it gets food lol. I love it.

Last edited by honeybear; 05-07-2009 at 09:22 PM.
honeybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 10:21 PM   #10  
Method to the Madness

S/C/G: 381.4/in the middle/160

Height: 5'9

Maybe once a week or so I'll have a smoothie with protein powder in it where I use one scoop of vanilla protein powder, frozen fruit (either strawberry banana or strawberry mango), and skim milk. I use the vanilla Body Fortress brand that I found at Walmart for cheaps. I've tried Designer Whey and it was okay, but nothing great. The best tasting I've come across is probably the BSN Lean Dessert line, where I've tried the cinnamon roll and the banana nut bread, which are great for stirring into oatmeal or drinking by themselves.

For protein bars, sometimes I'll use those for a substantial snack if I'm starving and don't have access to good food options, like if I find myself ravenous between classes at school. Then I like the Zone Balance ones in either the chocolatey flavors or the fruit ones which are more like traditional granola bars.
LindseyLouWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 11:25 PM   #11  
live, laugh, love

S/C/G: 265/202/160

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowenna View Post

I have tried them..i bought themb at walmart in the diet section..they had vanilla, and berry flavored. theywere okayed price, and you could get them in canof powder, or the convince packs(single servings)

they only have 6 grams of protien
50 calories
1g fat
cholestral 20mg
carbs 9g
fiber 6g
sugar 2g

ifound that if i added frozen friut, they tasted better. I still use them for a once in a while in the water bottle. But i have found a much better protin shake that i love 20 grams protien, 130 calories, and only 1 g sugar, and they come in cholate or vallilla, and are made by bodywise, but avalibe only threw a consultant,but without them i dont think i would be this successful at my weightloss journy

angela
canadianangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 10:46 AM   #12  
Fat Chick Newbie

S/C/G: 192/168/130

Height: 5'4

I really like the South Beach Bars, my favorite are the cinamon raisen and the peanutbutter. They have 10g of protien and like 120 cals, and 5g of fat. Just having one around 3:30pm gives me a sweet fix to last till I get home at dinner. I keep one in my purse, and in my car, I have also started keeping quick snacks like crackers in the car for my kids. I noticed that when out and about running errands we all get snacky and hungry so we had always just swung through wendy's or mcdonalds for a dollar menu fix. So I feel like the SB protien bars are kind of a quick save for me, so I dont make bad food choices out of starvation. LOL

Just my 2 cents.
Haney98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 11:49 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 255/248/160

Height: 5'11"

I love my protein shakes. For breakfast they are just perfect but I also have a shake or bar after exercise. I find this helps with muscle soreness and recovery in general. That said, I would never have more than 2 a day. They're a great aid to health and dieting but I would never suggest you replace the bulk of your calories with them.

I prefer making a smoothie with berries, yogurt and protein powder but just the plain powder and water works great too. There are all kinds of interesting recipes for smoothies online, so I'm experimenting quite a bit. I rather like the peanut butter and chocolate recipe I found. It's like a liquid Reeces'! Sadly it's a little more indulgent that I'd have everyday.

MN.
ManyNamed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 09:57 AM   #14  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

I keep a Kashi Fruit and Grain, or South Beach Living High Protein Cereal bar in my purse/car/office as a backup snack. They are convenient to carry with me and have kept me from unhealthy alternatives on many occasions.

I don't really use them as meals, though. I much prefer whole foods for meals. I like my calories to be as flavorful and tasty and whole as possible.
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 10:07 AM   #15  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettyboop56 View Post
Hi All,
I use the bars to curb my taste for sweet stuff. the bar I like is the atkins peanut caramel cluster bar it taste almost as good as a payday candy bar.
For me, with these bars has the EXACT opposite effect. It feeds the need and desire for my wants of sweets. Really ratchets it up. I need to stay clear of them. Not for me.

The protein shakes also don't work for me. I get much more satisfaction chewing my calories.

I know. I'm weird.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote