Old 03-01-2009, 12:00 PM   #1  

Height: 5'3"

Default diet soda

for a while i was drinking several diet sodas a day and it seems that this could have affected (negatively) my weight loss. now i am trying to not drink soda and only drink water. my question is, if i drink a lot of water during the day is it ok to have soda still? before i was drinking mostly soda, but if i drink tons of water will a soda still be detrimental? thank you
beautybooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 12:05 PM   #2  
Just For Today

S/C/G: 287/170/155

Height: 5' 10"

I personally reward myself with one diet decaffienated soda at night, if I get in at least 4 liters of water during the day. It's like a special treat that I look forward to all day.
loserjulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 02:43 PM   #3  
Snazzy Person. :]

S/C/G: 166/149/130

Height: 5'5"

Well, to be honest, I think you should put down the diet soda.
Those things are filled with chemicals that can wreck havoc on your body.
If you want your soda fix, please drink regular soda.
It might not be healthy, but its much safer, and better tasting ;], than diet soda.
katie m a r i e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 02:51 PM   #4  

i don't really like regular soda though :/ le sigh, maybe i'll just go back to drinking none at all
Old 03-01-2009, 03:32 PM   #5  
Let It Go

S/C/G: 230/228/160

Height: 5'8"

Beautybooty,
If you can give up diet soda that's great. I know I can't give up my soda so I switched from regular Coke to Coke Zero. There are days when I have had so much other stuff to drink that I don't even drink it. I only drink it if I crave it. I especially like to drink it if I am eating a hamburger or sub.
delafax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 03:37 PM   #6  
NEVER GIVE UP

S/C/G: 259.9/181.0/145.0

Height: 5'6"

I Drink Diet/caffiene free Pepsi daily & water. I still lose weight just fine.
I usually drink 2 cans a day. I eat pizza daily also....Which people say is a no/ no. But I am still losing....I do not think soda will affect your weight loss as long as it is diet soda.

Last edited by Lori259; 03-01-2009 at 03:38 PM.
Lori259 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 03:55 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 157/133.4/130

Height: 5'5"

I think diet soda / artificial sweeteners are just one of those things that affect people differently. I've never had a problem with them stalling my weight loss, but many people do say they've experienced this.

Do keep in mind that ANY caffeinated beverage is a diuretic - so I would try to make sure that you are getting at least 8 glasses of plain water in addition to your diet sodas.
Su-Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 04:14 PM   #8  
~*Lupo di Autunno*~

S/C/G: 162/115/115

I've never had a problem with them, though I've only ever had about three a week. Cut back and see if it makes a difference. You don't have to give them up, just limit it a bit.
Wolf Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 06:56 PM   #9  

thanks so much you guys, that really answered my question.

delafax - coke zero is my favorite. i like it more than any other soda, regular or diet.

before i was drinking probably 4 cans a day and very little water. weight loss or not- that's not a good idea. so now i am sticking to drinking plenty of water and 1 MAYBE 2 cans a day.
Old 03-01-2009, 07:00 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 162/152/122

Height: 5'7"

ahhhh... yummy diet coke! I think the idea of using it as a reward is great - I'm drinking h2o right now and looking forward to a sweet treat later (diet coke, that is)
sunspell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 07:34 PM   #11  

Height: 5'11"

Regional thing: We call it "pop" here in the northwest, LOL. Anyway....I had a diet coke habit for quite awhile. I accidently gave it up (ran out, didn't want to leave work to get more) and realized that it was making me feel artificially hungry in the mornings. I will still have one with lunch once in awhile and on the weekends, but I no longer have those 2 cans first thing every morning.

Side bonus: I'm not having migraines anymore, either. I don't know if it's because I'm not drinking the diet pop or because I've changed my eating habits. But I'm suspicious about the pop.
Windchime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 07:59 PM   #12  

I gave up diet sodas months ago and now I just have seltzer with some orange juice added if I want something fizzy. No chemicals.
canadianwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 08:36 PM   #13  
Let It Go

S/C/G: 230/228/160

Height: 5'8"

Canadianwoman - That sounds good..something I will be sure to try. That's one of the reasons I like 3FC - sharing ideas.
delafax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 08:40 PM   #14  
BOOM!

S/C/G: 176.6/130/130

Height: 5'2"

What I miss about diet sodas is the fizzy so I switched to drinking club soda or seltzer that is just carbonated water. No sodium or chemicals, just bubbly water, it's really cheap compared to diet sodas and it does the trick for me!
prinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 10:18 PM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by delafax View Post
Canadianwoman - That sounds good..something I will be sure to try. That's one of the reasons I like 3FC - sharing ideas.
I'm glad you liked that. Here is another. Sometimes when I am in the mood for a bit of wine, I will add some to some seltzer or club soda. It is like making my own wine cooler without all the sugar.
canadianwoman is offline   Reply With Quote