Am I eating too much sugar?

• I just finished planning my meals for tomorrow and for Wednesday (I like to plan ahead) on a food journal I have on another website and I feel like maybe I'm eating too much sugar. But it seems to be from natural or "good" sources so I"m not sure what to think.

I do not buy anything with high fructose corn syrup. I actually just bought a different brand of ketchup because the Heinz I bought before has high fructose corn syrup (I realized; although I have a little bit left in the bottle to finish). I am THAT picky when I read labels that I even read the ketchup!!!

Like today, I had 60 grams of sugar. The thing I ate that contained the most sugar was a banana (14 grams) with breakfast. The second most was one of my homemade protein-oatmeal-raisin cookies with 9 grams but most of the sugar comes from the raisins and the natural honey that I put in instead of sugar (No Splenda for me ... my body doesn't agree with it). And tied with that was one serving of Dannon Activia vanilla yogurt at 9 grams.

Tomorrow, I'm set up for what seems like a whopping 89 grams of sugar. Due to one pear at breakfast (17 grams), a serving of Bush's baked beans fat-free veg with natural brown sugar (12 grams), 2 of my cookies (17 grams), and since I haven't let myself splurge in a long time, I'm also eating one piece of my homemade 100% cocoa fudge (19 grams sugar).

So I probably could do without the Baked Beans or the fudge but I don't eat the beans that often (but I LOVE them and they have great fiber!!) and I obviously don't eat fudge all the time.

For Wednesday, I'm at 60 grams again with 14 from a banana at breakfast, 9 from a Dannon yogurt, and 6 from milk, being my biggest.

Should I be worried that I so much over the recommended sugar intake (I think FDA says like 30 grams for my current calorie intake)? Like I said, I'm really not getting it from bad sources (except the fudge splurge, maybe the beans, and maybe the yogurt ... I know flavored yogurt has sugar added but I can't stomach the plain!)

Thoughts or comments?
  • I don't worry about the sugar in fruit or dairy. I only worry about the added sugars.