Old 01-29-2009, 10:21 AM   #1  

Default I can't eat as much???

This is something weird I've noticed lately. I don't know, but is it possible for your stomach to shrink or something? I've lately gotten to where I get full SO much quicker than I ever did before. It almost seems "too fast". As in, eating a frozen dinner, I'll get grossly full before I'm 3/4th done with it. So not a big portion of food---in fact what some may consider to be too small a portion--I can't finish. This has happened in restaurants and in front of other people(and you know how big restaurant portions can be!) and I'm sure they think I'm "starving" myself or doing it on purpose for dieting reasons when I'm finished and I still have over half my plate left!

I've also noticed that I can't really "push" food on myself like I once could. When I reach this new found "fullness" point, I lose all interest in this food. Previously, I could push it if I wanted and overeat. I don't think this is just in my head, it's an obvious change that I don't have anything to do with! Normal? lol
jhinako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 10:30 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 278/264/120

Height: 5ft.3

Yep, I have been feeling the same way lately. I eat more often than before (4-5 times a day - compared to 2-3, or even 1 gross evening binge while running on coffees all day), and feel full faster. Now when I miss a meal, and don't have a convenient snack with me, I get horribly hungry but when I get to eat, I stick to my plan and a normal portion suffies. I am happy with this change, really!
fractal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 12:07 PM   #3  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

It's happening to me too (though I'm not yet at the point that I don't want to finish a frozem dinner, although even finding a frozen dinner "just enough" food is a remarkable thing for me).

I'm really excited that I have a lot more control and a smaller stomach, but wish it translated into faster weight loss (boy, I'm impatient, sometimes).

I had a really weird experience with this at Christmas time. My mom, who has lost about 65 lbs (and has put back on about 10) was griping about not being able to eat as much. She would say it several ways, sometimes like an apology, sometimes as a weird sort of bragging, sometimes with regret or resentment, but never as celebration. It makes me wonder if she's going to be able to maintain her loss, or at least enjoy it. Even if she maintains her loss, but is so miserable because of what she's lost, rather than happy what she's gained (health and mobility being the most dramatic, before the weight loss, she needed to use a wheelchair any time she left the house (and even in the house, used an office chair with wheels to work in the kitchen).

Sometimes I worry about her, but I also know that she is a recreational pessimist. She (and her sisters for that matter) always focus on the bad. Mom and her sisters have always had an ongoing competition about whose life sucked worst. So maybe it's not as bad a sign as I'm thinking, but if she truly is miserable because of what she can't eat, I don't see her keeping the weight off.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 12:53 PM   #4  

S/C/G: oh **** no!/on my way/157

Height: 5'9"

Completely totally agree with you. I absolutely can not eat-or drink-as much as I was able to before. I can't even think about eating as much without feeling sick.

I think that your stomach does get used to the smaller portions and when you overeat it makes you feel yucky! I ordered a tuna sandwich at lunch the other day and I could only eat half of it. Now, I pretty much stick with appetizers if I am out because anything else just ends up in a doggie bag.
urockmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 01:05 PM   #5  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

I am the same way- it's great! I know I don't NEED food and don't need to go crazy eating- when I'm done I'm done- and I'm able to pass up foods and stick to the good stuff!

I now am able to bag half my food at restaurants for another day- or not take it home- before I'd eat it all- but now I stick to the stuff I really want- for example if I order beef broccoli at my favorite restaurant- I don't eat the rice that comes with it- maybe a bite or two- and before I'd POLISH the plate! It's great!
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 07:18 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

My capacity for food has definitely improved (decreased), but not so much that I don't have to pay attention. Also, it doesn't take much or long to start returning to previous appetites. I wish I had the experience of getting terribly sick when going off plan that so many people describe! I don't feel great off plan, but it's not dramatic.

But I am definitely happy that it's changed as much as it has.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 07:35 PM   #7  
Ruth

S/C/G: 98.0/95.5/69.0

Height: 173cm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post
...but I also know that she is a recreational pessimist.

Quote of the day from kaplods!

But yes, your stomach does shrink. That's why people who have fasted for days due to surgery etc. need to start back eating smaller amounts of food. It doesn't take very long.
Primm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 10:29 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 220/204/190

Height: 5'4

I think it does shrink. But I could be wrong. I know that I used to be able to eat half a jacks pizza and some fries or chips (wow thats extremly embarassing to say) and be hungry an hour later. Now I eat a small breakfast, 2 eggs, toast and an apple, and get that horrible full sick feeling for awhile after and I'll be fine until a snack or dinner.
x0me880x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 04:44 PM   #9  
DRUG FREE

S/C/G: 165/153/130

Height: 5'8''

Happened to me too. Now I have to pack more calories into smaller meals just because I can't eat much.
MISFIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 06:02 PM   #10  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

Absolutely. Which is why I switched to eating 6 small meals a day instead of 3 big ones.
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote