Old 01-27-2009, 01:26 PM   #1  
LAWL Salt Police

Default So.. When Fast Food is your Only Choice...

So... Sometimes, the inevitable happens.. Even when you're trying to be good, the kids gotta eat or you're late for a meeting and the only choices around you are fast food places... So.. Here's another one from Yahoo Health.. While some of this choices may seem counter productive, they're better than the burger/fries route! Yes, the sodium is pretty high on some of these, so choose carefully... I'm not condoning, just passing along...

My personal fav is the caesar salad from McDonalds, which I suppose because of the dressing, isn't on the list.. But I put mine on the side and just dab my fork in it, so the fat/cal count is much lower..

Here's the link:
http://food.yahoo.com/blog/hungrygir...ast-food-finds
__________________________________________________ _____________

Top Ten Guilt-Free Fast Food Finds

Just when you thought you had to ditch the drive-thru, Hungry Girl is here with some truly amazing finds! Here are our top 10 guilt-free fast food finds (in no particular order)...

10. Burger King TENDERGRILL Chicken Garden Salad
(Salad without dressing: 230 calories/ 8g fat/ 11g carbs/ 3g fiber/ 3g sugars/ 720mg sodium/ 32g protein)

This tasty salad combines juicy chicken, tomatoes, crispy carrots, fresh lettuce, and three types of cheeses. All that for under 8 grams of fat. Top with half a packet (they're huge) of the Light Italian dressing (1/2 packet = 60 calories/ 5.5g fat) or Fat Free Ranch dressing (1/2 packet = 30 calories/ 0g fat), and give yourself a little pat on the back for making this smart choice (if you can put the fork down for long enough!).

9. Taco Bell Fresco Style Ranchero Chicken Soft Taco
(170 calories/ 4g fat/ 20g carbs/ 2g fiber/ 2g sugars/ 560g sodium/12g protein)

Just say the magic words, "Fresco Style!", and your Taco Bell order is instantly transformed into a better-for-you food choice! They swap out their usual cheese and sauce combo for a kicky blend of chopped tomatoes, onions, and cilantro (aka Fresco Salsa). That'll save you 10 grams of fat and 100 calories on this terrific taco!

8. McDonald's Apple Dippers with Low Fat Caramel
(100 calories/ 0.5g fat/ 24g carbs/ 0g fiber/15g sugars/40mg sodium/ 0g protein)

Mickey D's gets an "A" for creativity by managing to put a really fun spin on what could be a reeaaallly boring dessert option (c'mon...apple slices?!). Let's face it; their yummy low-fat caramel would taste good with anything dipped in it (fingers included), but this modern day version of a caramel apple gets TWO YUMS UP from HG!

7. Subway Soups - Chicken & Dumpling, Cream of Broccoli, Minestrone, Roasted Chicken Noodle, Spanish Style Chicken with Rice, Tomato Garden Vegetable with Rotini, and Vegetable Beef
(90-140 calories/ 0.5-5g fat/ 12-20g carbs/ 1-4g fiber/ 1-8g sugars/ 910-1,230mg sodium/ 3-7g protein)

While not all of Subway's soups are great choices (avoid the chili, cream of potato, chicken with brown and wild rice, broccoli cheese, and New England clam chowder), we were thrilled to put rich "Cream of Broccoli" and hearty "Vegetable Beef" on the list. And although stores usually only feature two soups per day, with seven great options under 140 calories, you've got a good shot of finding one at your local Subway on any given day. Soup-er!

6. McDonald's Asian Salad with Grilled Chicken
(Salad without dressing: 290 calories/ 10g fat/23g carbs/6g fiber/12g sugars/ 890mg sodium/ 31g protein)

This is definitely our favorite fast food salad of all time. It's got orange-glazed chicken, mandarin oranges, crisp veggies, toasted almonds, and even edamame!?! Awesome! Top it off with half a packet of one of their low-fat dressings (1/2 packet = 20-45 calories/ 1-1.5g fat). There are many dressings to choose from, so read labels carefully!

5. McDonald's Vanilla Reduced Fat Ice Cream Cone
(150 calories/ 3.5g fat/ 24g carbs/ 0g fiber/ 18g sugars/ 60mg sodium/ 4g protein)

That Ronald really knows his way around a soft-serve machine. He's managed to conjure up insanely creamy ice cream that's actually delicious AND low in fat. Pssst...we think this frozen treat is one of the country's best-kept guilt-free secrets. Pass it on.

4. Taco Bell Fresco Style Grilled Steak Soft Taco
(170 calories/ 5g fat/ 21g carbs/ 2g fiber/ 3g sugars/ 560mg sodium/ 11g protein)

Yet another "Fresco" option from our amigos at the Taco Bell. This one's soft and tasty with real hunks of juicy steak. It's a must-chew for beef-lovers.

3. Wendy's Mandarin Chicken Salad
(Salad without dressing, almonds and noodles: 170 calories/ 2g fat/ 18g carbs/ 3g fiber/ 13g sugars/ 480mg sodium/ 23g protein)

By skipping the crispy noodles and almonds, this fast food salad achieves record-breaking low calorie and fat counts! And if you've really gotta have that added crunch, those noodles'll only cost you 60 calories and 2 grams of fat. We also recommend swapping the fatty, calorie-packed Oriental Sesame dressing for their Fat Free French (1 packet = 80 calories). HG Tip: Read dressing packets carefully (have we warned you enough about this yet?).

2. Taco Bell Cinnamon Twists
(160 calories/ 5g fat/ 27g carbs/ 1g fiber/ 10g sugars/ 780mg sodium/ 1g protein)

Dessert at the drive-thru doesn't have to mean sundaes and hand-held pies exploding with fat and calories. Our friends at Taco Bell are offering up a sweet option with these twisty, cinnamonlicious little critters. Flaky and crunchy, these seriously hit the spot. Yet another fast food secret courtesy of your pal HG.

1. Subway 6 Grams of Fat or Less Subs, 6" Turkey Breast with Honey Mustard and Cucumbers
(310 calories/ 4.5g fat/ 54g carbs/ 5g fiber/ 13g sugars/ 1,130mg sodium/ 19g protein)

We love Subway's 6 Grams of Fat or Less Subs. Their Turkey Breast with Honey Mustard and Cucumbers Sub is particularly yummy and sweet. Feel like being extra careful? Skip the honey mustard and you'll save about 30 calories!

Last edited by Dan2112; 01-27-2009 at 01:30 PM.
Dan2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 05:22 PM   #2  
Joni - Atlanta, GA

Height: 5'3"

Good list. Fast food places have a lot of good choices these days. Personally, I love the Southwest grilled chicken salad from McD's - I don't even use any dressing since the chicken has enough "whatever" on it already.
Joni135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 05:28 PM   #3  
Cecilia

S/C/G: 205/Check the Ticker/155

Height: 5'2

I love the Side Salad at McDonalds. $1 and it is pretty big! With my own dressing. Cureent Fav is Light Raspberry Vinnegarette! YUM!
cecil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 05:39 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 207/?/160

Height: 5'8"

Dan I think the caesar salad isn't on the list due to the cheese. Crutons are more calories than you'd think too. Good list though.
BarbaraB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 08:11 PM   #5  
Kim - IP 9/10

Height: 5'4"

I have very little time for dinner on Tuesdays, and I have to leave work early to get to my classes for the night, so I usually hit Subway - there 6 and under subs are great - although I usually get the veggie delight, not turkey. I had no idea that some of the soups are OK for you too! Yay options!
Kimphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 10:08 AM   #6  
LAWL Salt Police

I had a neighborhood association meeting last night and because of getting Danny to Taekwon Do, I missed dinner at home..

Went to our nearby subway and ordered a spinach salad to take to the meeting as they always have pizza there and I didn't want to give in to the temptation.. I was already a little frustrated because there was a long line (one of my pet peeves is having to wait in long lines)... So as they prepared to make my salad, the guy only put a tiny handful of spinach in the bowl.. So after I asked him to put more in, I also had to ask him to give me more tomato (he'd only added three tiny slices), more cucumber (same as the tomato) and more than the four little jalepeno slices he'd put in there.. By the time I got to the register, I was pretty irritated..

Apprapo (SP?) of nothing, I just needed to vent my frustration.. Sorry...

Last edited by Dan2112; 01-29-2009 at 10:09 AM.
Dan2112 is offline   Reply With Quote