Old 07-03-2008, 10:56 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 208/-/170

Height: 5'8"

Default Doing Dr. Bernstein Diet, on my own now.

So I needed to lose weight for a knee surgery that I had yesterday, to make recovery easier and whatnot.

I started the Dr. Bernstein program on June 10, and paid their consult fee, and 2 weeks worth of shots. On the 12th I weighed 208 Ibs, and I'm 5'8".

As the diet is extremely expensive, and after I learned what to do and what not to, I feel that I am responsible enough to do it on my own. I don't need to be held accountable and after multiple knee surgeries and infections with prolonged IV antibiotics I know how to give injections.

I am now giving myself the B6 and B12 injections Sub-Q, it's not that bad, they don't even hurt. Excess B vitamins just get urinated out. It wasn't that hard to figure out the dosage, each "double" shot they give you once every 2 days was approximately 1CC of B6+B12, and they only come in one molar concentration. I got my GP to give me a prescription for them, and the micro potassium.

As I have PCOS I monitor my blood sugar all the time, and it has normalized quite a bit in the last 3 weeks. I also bought ketone strips at the pharmacy for 8$ and check that I'm in ketosis all day long. Its WAY cheaper, and actually works. I don't need a nurse to pat me on the back and tell me I'm burning and losing when I know I am.

I come from an athletic background, I'm a professional skier competing in skiercross and big mountain. I packed on around 50IBs over the last 3 years from repetitive knee surgeries and drinking WAY too much beer not knowing that I had PCOS and had insulin issues.

This is my progress so far, and I'm also at the gym 1.5-2 hours a day doing weights to maintain muscle mass and cardio levels.

These are home scales...

Make note, I DID cheat at my brothers Graduation dinner, and splurged on desert, I stopped losing weight for 3 days (the time it took to get back into ketosis, but I did not gain.)

June
10 208.8
11 203.4
12 200.4
13 201.0
14 198.8
15 199.8
16 198.2
17 199.0
18 199.2
20 197.6
21 197.0
23 196.4
25 195.2
26 194.0
29 192

I must note too, that I am not completely following his program. Eating only 2 portions of 100gm of protein is absurd for me, as I'm also lifting and training. I've been eating twice what they recommend for protein, and also drinking upwards of 5-8L of water per day depending on the workout. Other than that, I'm not hungry all the time anymore, I have plenty of energy and all my clothes are fitting loose. My body fat % has dropped 8% on my scale too, pretty excited! I hope to hit around 165 or so, then maintain some of these good habits I've acquired.

After trying low cal diet and exercise this was a LAST resort to lose the weight fast before surgery. I don't feel tempted to cheat or indulge anymore because I keep losing the weight so fast, I can SEE the results EVERY morning. When I hit my goal I think this will be maintainable and that I have learned ways to modify my food to keep it low carb-low cal, and tasting just as good!

Hungrygirl.com has good substitutions, but I'm not allowed most of them yet. Nothing tastes as good as thin feels, and this is well worth it. After 3 years of mistakes I'm finally shedding those love handles. I realize that with an athletic build and lots of muscle I'll never hit "the clinic goal" of 140, thats absurd. When I was 160 I had 11% body fat and an eight pack. If I could get down to 165-170 and feel good I'd be happy. I'm already way happier.

Last edited by GoNads; 07-03-2008 at 11:05 PM.
GoNads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 11:16 PM   #2  
ddc
getting back to 140

S/C/G: 155/154.2/140

Height: 5'7"

Well, it sounds like you're off to a good start.
How many calories per day are you eating? do you track calories?
I've never heard of this diet, but it seems to be working for you.

Best wishes
ddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 11:31 PM   #3  
Anne

S/C/G: 407/358-Dec2007/tracker/125

Height: 5'4"

http://www.cbc.ca/consumers/market/f...ernstein_diet/

Read the entire article, but:

"Marketplace asked registered dietician Marilyn Cowling to add up the calories in the food recommended over two days of menus supplied in the Bernstein diet book. She came up with 450 to 500 calories per day."
RealCdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 11:40 PM   #4  
ddc
getting back to 140

S/C/G: 155/154.2/140

Height: 5'7"

Oh my!!!
ddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 12:33 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 208/-/170

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealCdn View Post
http://www.cbc.ca/consumers/market/f...ernstein_diet/

Read the entire article, but:

"Marketplace asked registered dietician Marilyn Cowling to add up the calories in the food recommended over two days of menus supplied in the Bernstein diet book. She came up with 450 to 500 calories per day."

I keep track on fitday.com all the food I eat. Since I'm eating double protein allotments my daily intake is around 500-800kcal a day.

I think the thing that throws people off is that once you're in ketosis you're burning 3000+ kcal a day from your fat stores. I have enough energy to bike 30km a day and do full 2 hour workouts, just not at 100% intensity, more like 70-80%.

Also, along with the B6/B12 injections I take a multivitamin, and extra iron, and micro potassium twice a day to make sure I'm not deficient.
GoNads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 05:04 PM   #6  

Default Bernstein

What are you allowed to eat on the Bernstein diet? Is there a list of foods that are allowed and prohibited? (need to take some weight off fast for my daughter's wedding and can't afford to go so need to do it on my own)
Lauri04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 08:29 AM   #7  

Default Hi

[QUOTE=GoNads;2254465]So I needed to lose weight for a knee surgery that I had yesterday, to make recovery easier and whatnot.

I started the Dr. Bernstein program on June 10, and paid their consult fee, and 2 weeks worth of shots. On the 12th I weighed 208 Ibs, and I'm 5'8".

As the diet is extremely expensive, and after I learned what to do and what not to, I feel that I am responsible enough to do it on my own. I don't need to be held accountable and after multiple knee surgeries and infections with prolonged IV antibiotics I know how to give injections.

I am now giving myself the B6 and B12 injections Sub-Q, it's not that bad, they don't even hurt. Excess B vitamins just get urinated out. It wasn't that hard to figure out the dosage, each "double" shot they give you once every 2 days was approximately 1CC of B6+B12, and they only come in one molar concentration. I got my GP to give me a prescription for them, and the micro potassium.

Hi, I am doing Bernstein dient as well,but as you said can be very costly. I was wonder who prescribed you the b12 and b6, do they sell them in Canada?, I will be finish my 4th week next week and honestly I can afford any more weeks. Any advice?
Thank you!!
Maad is offline   Reply With Quote